Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

business hammocks posted:

When is Jonny Gosch’s mom going to glom onto this or get drawn in, I wonder?

Drawn in, probably, because she seems pretty inept and not tech savvy. She has pictures from the Polish Witcher tv series on her website, thinking they're real evidence of a pedophaelic ritual when it's young Geralt being turned into a Witcher, with the tv channel logo at the top. I don't think it would be too hard to convince her because she's pretty broken and gullible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Helsing posted:

It's actually pretty fascinating to delve into the historical links between occultism and the far right. Helena Blavatsky's late 19th century proto-New Age religion of Theosophy is mostly forgotten today but it served as one of the major inspirations for H. P. Lovecraft (he even name checks Theosophy at the start of Call of Cthulhu) and through Lovecraft's work it helped introduce the entire ancient aliens hypothesis into popular culture. What's somewhat less known is that theosophical writings also seem to have had a significant impact on Nazi race science and that Hitler's personal library contained occult texts that had been annotated and marked up in Hitler's hand. Outside of pop culture sources like Indiana Jones or Monty Python you rarely see references to the links between Nazism and the Occult even though its thoroughly documented by scholars.

William Dudley Pelley, a major American fascist leader, was big into theosophy and part of the conditions for his release from prison following WWII was that he couldn't write about politics. He wrote about theosophy and UFO's instead and his work is somewhat embedded into conspiracy literature because of that. When people talk about Nordic space aliens, it has its roots in the hidden masters aspect of Theosophy.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Nazis were pretty incoherent as a party and a movement and you got stuff like the Myth of the 20th Century but Hitler is quoted as saying it was all garbage. So while some people in the party believed in awakening the "race soul" and finding the perfect representation of Aryan art, it was Hummels for those who weren't aware, most of the Nazis were pretty materialistic when it came to their world views. They still believed in crazy, racist garbage but not that kind of crazy, esoteric racist garbage.

EDIT: Himmler was given a lot of leeway too because he was Hitler's rock and the only party member he really trusted to protect him in the scenario of a coup or a political move against him at a moment of weakness. Himmler was pretty much allowed to do whatever he wanted as long as it didn't impede Hitler.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 12, 2018

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
QAnon is like the Jehovah's Witnesses of right wing conspiracy wing bats. It's going to reach a point where they'll just say it's all imminent because the predictions keep on failing.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gum posted:

It feels like these stories always end the same way

With a bunch of people in matching tracksuits and shoes with bags over their heads?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Satanic Panic is also tangentially related to the Trump administration because Amway used to tell all their members to smear Amway competitors as being satanic. Usually with Procter & Gamble it was that the logo was Satanic, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procter_%26_Gamble#Logo_myth, or that the CEO of P&G went on the Phil Donahue Show and proclaimed their allegiance to Satan. Information for a nonexistent episode was also given and since it was the 80's, you really couldn't verify things like that easily.

Republican and far right weirdos have been using conspiracy theories for personal gain for a while.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

big nipples big life posted:

I'm still baffled as to why the Q nuts think JFK jr, of all people, is the one to help usher in their ultra-right wing fantasies.

A number of boomers grew up idolizing the Kennedy family, primarily JFK and Jackie, and went increasingly hard right, probably around the time of Reagan. He's a tabula rasa and the son of the "good" Kennedy so they latched on to him.

JFK's legacy is also so short lived and wishy washy that you have people claiming he was a hawk or a dove. He was really just a turkey who had crippling health problems and the expectations meant for his elder brother thrust upon him.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 6, 2019

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fiend posted:

Thank you Mr President

Where does Bell Telephone come in? :allears:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

jojoinnit posted:

So what's the deal with Dinar?

Over the last 20 years there's been this theory among chuds and cranks that the US was going to turn Iraq into an economic super power on par with Saudi Arabia and the currency would rapidly deflate. Therefore if you bought a bunch of Iraqi Dinars then and now, your investment would explode. Trump came into it because it got spread by a new wave of grifters that Trump invested in Dinars and then got the government of Iraq or some other institution to exchange at a higher rate. There's also that chud mindset that Trump is going to make Iraq into a stable, economically powerful country so they're still holding onto it for that reason.

It's just boomer chud crypto speculation before crypto speculation reached them.

EDIT: Beaten.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bird with big dick posted:

:maximum_effort_post: Kind of a derail but some might find it interesting.

This is beautiful.

I thought someone thinking the standard dinar scheme was legit was sad, the woman who thinks she's going to get a payout from the government of Zimbabwe greater than their combined GDP since their formation is a level of mental illness that sounds too crazy to be real. It's some sovereign citizen level of believed gotcha that somehow seems even more ridiculous than people reading between the lines of over 200 year old local and state court cases.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dr Christmas posted:

So do they have an explanation for Trump’s famous love of McDonalds and stuff like this:

Probably just yelling about it being lies since they think he's a philosopher king warrior or whatever.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

IF ANYONE correctly gueses who this is you're not allowed to bash a conspiracy anymore as you're a hidden conspiracy lover

Alex Jones is the best psa against alcoholism.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bape Culture posted:

Mrs. Clinton and Principal Skinner were in the tunnels abusing mole babies and I saw one of the mole babies and the mole baby looked at me.

The mole baby looked at you?

I'm really tempted to make a gofundme for the costs of adopting and caring for a mole baby.

packetmantis posted:

"Coronavirus symbol"???

The wheel logo for Turner, that's what I'm assuming it is, looks like a 2d version of the virus, a spikey ball.

EDIT:

I have a friend who has, for a couple years now, been claiming that waves from cell phones were causing him pain. He's had a bad run of things with drugs and family stuff so I guess we all assumed it was because of that. He talked to a mutual friend, who is a doctor, and he mostly told him that it probably wasn't that. I thought he gave up on it or moved on but now he's posting about 5G and the Coronavirus. Social media is really not helping America's, and most of the world's, mental health issues/crises.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 14, 2020

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pseudanonymous posted:

This is being advertised on something awful:

https://imgur.com/a/UPnp5U0

Seems related.

It's viral marketing for a found footage film. https://www.murderdeathkoreatown.com/

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Matt Gaetz being a closeted homosexual and also a murderer were two threads in Florida political gossip before he went to Congress. In 2016 there were rumors that he was in a gay relationship with a mega church preacher and I think the rumors have kept up over the years since he's a single Republican who's all in the Christ and family thing. His college roommate died in their dorm room under mysterious circumstances and it's likely his dad peddled some influence to get it swept under the rug.

He's already openly admitted that he didn't legally adopt him so it's beyond weird that they've lived together after he broke up with his sister. Regardless, I'm expecting Qanon people to go with he saved Nestor from a Cuban adrenochrome facility or some such and he lives with him since the cabal killed his extended family, which he totally has but they will ignore.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Who among hasn't considered getting on the Q grift train? You want to do Indiegogo though because they have no standards.

The only issue is that they're all unhinged and a Qanon followers have committed acts of violence, including attacking the Canadian PM.

mds2 posted:

Totally ethical.

I wanted to start a Go Fund Me to rip off flat earthers to fund an expedition to “find the edge”. Naturally I’d use the money to travel the world.

Nope, the edge isn’t in Tahiti. Off to the next location.

I feel like flat Earthers tend to not to have too much money due to being unemployable and often banned from coming within a certain distance of school districts. Not even for being sex offenders half the time either, just harassing children to read their lovely pamphlets.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Q is just a modern day mystery cult for Republican wine moms and weirdos who broke their brains voting for Trump. It's like a free version of Scientology but instead of going clear, the end result is alienating everyone you know and love and are able to read some "clock" to predict what will happen.

Quiet Enable posted:

Yeah, I think that's the most interesting part of QAnon/ It's able to create this General Theory of Conspiracy and just bring aliens, secret governments, and baby-killing cults all into one big ball of crazy.

I'm honestly surprised Flat-Earth society hasn't also been roped into the QAnon conspiracies.

I don't think Qanon is anti-Semitic enough to collaborate with flat Earthers. The New Age, vril/orgone/whatever energy Trump is going to give the world though is close to some of the stuff the flat Earthers think are out there.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Quiet Enable posted:

That's probably the worst part about this oddity. Trump is very much the focal point currently, but if/when he loses the election there are still going to be these types of people out in the wild.

Yeah, this isn't going away if Trump loses and honestly it'll probably get worse. Many cultists often become more devout after prophecies fail or the leaders are proven wrong. It's a weird combination of belief, sunk cost fallacy, and delusion.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I could see it getting worse short term but none of these people can tolerate the stench of obvious failure for long.

Look at how the various Doomsday cults fell apart for an example of this.

It always takes longer than you think but eventually they collapse due to the failures of the cult leadership/saints.

While that's true, the Jehovah's Witnesses are still going strong. They could just default to the day of reckoning is coming soon, just not exactly when.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

I think Dan Aykroyd is a legitimate committed Spiritualist, as in that is an actual religion and he is a member of it. So things like that probably provide you with a certain amount of grounding, bizarre as it may seem, as opposed to just sort of constantly digesting whatever the ambient bullshit is.

He's also big into old school UFO stuff. He kind of got set into his conspiracy and paranormal thing groove a long time ago and he's sticking to them.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Kennedy's, real Italians!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Twelve by Pies posted:

Joe Biden shutting down the power grid, the one singular power grid that the entire continental United States and Alaska/Hawaii have.

Yeah the Yangs and the Kohms (Yankees and Communists). It's an incredibly dumb episode and I think one of the novels retconned it so that some Starfleet ship dropped a bunch of Constitutions/Declarations of Independence on the planet to try and create another America, rather than "this planet's history was exactly the same as Earth's and they just happened to also create these two exact documents by sheer coincidence."

It was an Enterprise era cargo ship and they died soon after leaving due to the virus there. I was surprised it was a more recent book too.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

China definitely doesn't contain a section of the country technically within Siberia so they have to do cold weather training in Canada.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cornwind Evil posted:

Wasn't this roughly the plot of the shonen series Toriko?

It makes sense that people who travel in similar circles would think similarly.

The mangaka who created Toriko is a pedophile convicted of child prostitution.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It makes me think of all those boomers absolutely convinced that hippies spit on them after they came back from vietnam because they saw it in a movie and got confused. Their lead-poisoned brains probably read so many descriptions of it and they then watch weird stuff linked by other q people and eventually they mistake what they read with what they saw.

The real question is why people who claim to hate the things in the video would try to seek it out and pass it around without sending it to an authority they trust, like the my pillow man or newsmax.

There was also a whole cottage industry of people who would spread that lie too. There's a couple of right wing nutjobs who wrote about it and talked about it publicly, even though the scenarios they talked about were fundamentally impossible and could have never happened due to how troops were brought out of theater from Vietnam to the US.

It's like the POW/MIA flag and how it was originally part of a crazy conspiracy theory that the US abandoned POW's in Vietnam, which had no grounding in reality whatsoever. People hear it enough times and they take it as fact or miss the original message while repeating or sharing the propaganda.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
In Q Into the Storm, the Watkins really come off as deranged weirdos. I know they are, but mainly because they're trying to put on this aloof, mysterious air because it's still 2018 and they aren't burying their connections to Qanon so they don't go to jail since they're both in legal trouble for other things too. I've only seen the first two episodes like most people not in the media and it's very obvious they're very dated.

They also make the Q people look better the same way the one flat Earth docu on Netflix, Behind the Curve, does by not showing all the anti-Semitism in the book the one focus guy is obsessed with or probably talks about all the time. I know the documentarian wanted to interview them but he sacrifices a lot of his objectivity by not depicting these people as being as bad as they are.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Phobophilia posted:

dont have access to hbomax is it true the docu filmmakers accompanied jim and ron watkins to a child brothel

Unless they're out back, behind the barn they keep the pigs in, they haven't gone yet. It wouldn't surprise me because they're paling around with Jim and Ron in a way that seems less than objective.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like after watching the current episodes that they really wanted to just do a documentary on the Watkins family and 8chan. The problem was that 8chan melted down and destroyed itself while he was making it and both Jim and Ron Watkins are probably looking at serious legal and financial consequences, they made it about Q. I also got anxious during the scenes with Ron and the documentarian on the mountain because it was giving me serious murder, threat vibes.

I think it's fairly obvious that the second incarnation of Q is Jim and Ron Watkins. The fact that "Q" hasn't made a drop since December and the post disavowing Q and saying people should respect the election by the Watkins family is kind of the topper to that theory.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xand_Man posted:

It's probably both. I'm sure Jones intentionally plays things up for the camera but there's been evidence of him having weird beliefs stretching back decades and 'you are who you pretend to be'

It's very obvious that Jones doesn't believe the majority of the stuff he rants about, especially when he pivots from the death of humanity to selling "supplements." Jones definitely is a white nationalist and follows a John Birch Society view of the world but most of his bluster is advertising for prepper or medical skeptic stuff. He also has unwillingness to revisit things in the immediate past which shows a level of self awareness. There was an old episode covered on Knowledge Fight where Eddie Bravo asked about Y2K stuff in 2010 and Jones wouldn't talk about it, tried to change the subject fast because he was reporting about nuclear power plants blowing up and end of the world events that obviously didn't happen in any way.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 3, 2021

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Asia is full of guys like Jim Watkins, white supremacists creeps and/or pedophiles who share similar political beliefs. They'll often have Asian wives or girlfriends and interracial children from those relationships but they see them as the "good ones." Ron's utility as a programmer and social media person I'm sure also helps their relationship but I would not be surprised if Jim threw Ron under the bus at the first chance because he just seems that type of person. Just a complete psychopathic rear end in a top hat who has no problem murdering a severely handicapped person by proxy.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Dulce Base conspiracy, that there's a massive government/alien base under a mountain in Dulce, New Mexico is one of the big originators I think. There were some people who claimed to be there and talked about how all the underground bases in the US are connected by train and they are abusing and cloning missing people there. There was also a civil war with the aliens, with fire fights, and I think the aliens won.

Ray gun battles with greys in an underground base is infinitely cooler than literal mole children. I'm sure most of the people who believe in the mole children also think evolution is fake, despite humans devolving quickly to a mole-like humanoid.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you've seen Godzilla vs. Kong, the base and train situation is the same but instead of kaiju's in cylinders, it's half formed hybrids begging to die.

UFO and classic conspiracy theories are just mentally ill people, fraudsters, and/or new age cult leaders riffing on things from mysticism like theosophy but making it about space instead of Tibetans and the Akashic Record. Over time it just keeps combining and being remixed until it all kind of becomes a big metanarrative that people can plug into. I think one reason why Qanon has been so successful is because it's kind of the greatest hits version of older conspiracy theories, complete with shadowy military spook who is trying to let the people know what's going on. Decades ago a crank would go on the UFO convention circuit or on a radio show like Coast to Coast AM or Bill Cooper's show. They would usually misrepresent their military service, or lie outright about it, and then talk about how they were on the USS Philadelphia when it time shifted or worked on flying saucers at Area 51. Most Qanon people have probably heard some aspect of that or were in the new age world so when Q popped up, they didn't need anything explained further. They were just the guy and they knew the rest without needing a long winded backstory that's probably full of holes. Even as Qanon has deviated and schismed on aspects, it's still the big tent movement of conspiracy weirdos. Smart phones and the Internet have pretty much killed cryptozoology and ufology as fields, it's harder to fake pics and it's easier to make out what's in them, they all go to anti-leftist conspiracy theories, which are mostly repackaged anti-Semitic ones, because they're still active and give more of an explanation, to them at least, why society and their lives are hosed.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Trump and DeSantis can't run on the same ticket without writing off Florida. Unless Trump changes his state of residency, they would be ineligible for Florida's electoral votes by the 12th Amendment.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Secret underground tunnels have been a mainstay of conspiracies since the 80's. I think it mainly came out of people needing to make excuses for why we weren't seeing all the crazy government coverup stuff that was going on and a number of UFO circuit people talking about tunnel networks and Deep Underground Military Bases.

Qanon is a big tent conspiracy theory cluster where people just pick and choose what they want to believe and is not as clearly codified as say Flat Earth, which is just an anti-Semitic, pseudo-gnostic mystery cult.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Murgos posted:

The question of 'is Jones rational or not?' has an objective answer that can be determined and has been shown at previous trials.

He is rational enough to understand that what he says on the air is not true and so is responsible for his actions.

I think the main issue is that he has been playing a character for decades and is very obviously abusing substances regularly. It's 100% confirmed he's an alcoholic and most likely does cocaine regularly at the least. The lines blur and he's been in the game for so long he's running on muscle memory so he starts defensively lying on the stands because that's what he's been doing regularly for 20+ years every day. I know he's been on air for much longer but he didn't really start on the bombastic decline he's been on since 9/11. Jon Ronson has talked about early encounters with him and how he's a much different person now than he was then. Not that he was ever good or honest, mind you, just that he had a level of honesty and humanity to occasionally shine through to people and that is now gone.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Everyone born in 1966 was a fire horse. Every year has an animal and an element ascribed to it. To be precise 1966 was yang fire horse but it doesn't really mean anything, even if you believe in this type of stuff. It's mostly a vehicle for astrology and more so to tell when someone was born without outright asking them their age.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There's been a rising strain of weirdo tradcath extremists in the far right and I'm sure it's a natural response to that. I think most rightwing weirdos are some form of protestant, prosperity gospel, unless they're full on Nazis and consider Christianity to be suspect due to its Jewish roots. It's just dueling grifts wrapped in different religious costumes trying to discredit each other.

There's a really weird thing where ideologues on the right will go on about how Christianity has fallen due to the fact that it's not being practiced like it's the 15th century with the Inquisition rooting out heresy. They don't really care about the dogma, only using the church as a vehicle to hurt their perceived enemies and enforce a social order where they are the elite. They go to Catholicism from usually some form of Protestantism, see that the Catholic Church has essentially reformed itself into being the equivalent of moderate and liberal Protestant sects like Lutheranism and Anglicanism, which were just watered down, reformed Catholicism, and then pitch a fit and join up with Anti-Vatican II people or go Orthodox. The Russian Orthodox Church has been catering to the far right due to being controlled by the Russian state and lots of actual Neo-Nazis like Alexander Dugin went full bore into being traditional Orthodox proponent monarchists or stuff like Old Believers, which is a fundamentalist sect that was persecuted from its inception until the fall of the USSR.

Lots of these people seem to want to have some form of KSA or Iran type setup, with the same rules, but won't convert to Islam because they're too racist to accept Islam as a path. The most mask off a lot of them came was praising the Taliban when they won the civil war in Afghanistan. I think Andrew Tate is the only notable rightwing weirdo to go that route and I don't know if it's going to stick. Kadryov is honestly only seen as being a laudable figure by them because he's this weird manchild strongman who has MMA fights for children and kills gay people so he's good. It also helps he's Caucasian so they can feel comfortable rooting for the light skinned Muslim who runs a not overtly theocratic dictatorship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Ancient Egyptians knew the Earth was round and had a pretty close approximation of its circumference. It's one of the reasons Afrocentrists think Africans discovered the Americas first in related conspiracy theory nonsense.