Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Trump is bringing leaders in to the situation room to discuss the shutdown today. Expecting the Qult to really ride this wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

TulliusCicero posted:

Why the gently caress is this guy not in jail?

(Squints)

Oh, "Donor" right

Well, and PNP culture in California is...a lot more widespread than most people realize.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It’s not right, but it’s a mainstream common myth that everyone thought the earth was flat historically. Like stories with Columbus was out to prove it wasn’t. If you get like 20% dumber taking “everyone knew the earth was flat till recently” seems like a thing people would go for with 1956 sounding about the same as 1493 for “mysterious years from before I was born”

Part of it was Catholic immigrant communities (Italians on the East Coast, Mexicans in the Southwest) using Columbus as an avatar of how they were totally deserving to be real Americans (since they were having to deal with a lot of anti-immigrant/anti-Catholic sentiment around the beginning of the 20th century). They formed organizations like the Knights of Columbus and they helped to really build up the myth of Columbus as an underdog visionary.

And while scientists and philosophers recognized that the earth was round for thousands of years, it's not like the idea that the earth was flat wasn't a common folk understanding. Like, go back to 1400 and just ask some dude plowing a field and he'd probably say he never thought of it, but of course it had to be flat.

I feel like left-tube is in this weird place right now where they're trying to not fall into the same trap that atheist youtube fell into (start slam-dunking easy targets like creationists, deciding you're brilliant, running low on easy targets, and then applying that newfound arrogance to topics that aren't easy, like feminism). So they're trying to cut down on the slam-dunking and try to be thorough and thoughtful when replying, even when it's an easy target that just deserves the point-and-laugh treatment.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

hangedman1984 posted:

Too be fair thats largely cuz genZ is less white than Millennials, who were largely less white than boomers (I assume the pattern also held true for genX, but nobody seems to care about them)

A trend I'm seeing in younger millennials and older genZ is less white not automatically equalling more liberal. Like, I've run into a lot of young South Asian tech bros who obviously hate Trump but are bending over backwards to find ways to vote Republican anyways because they are super anti-feminist and anti-gay.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

VitalSigns posted:

Your rich friends are less than 10% of the population they literally do not matter

Just keep telling yourself that then act surprised when we end up losing marriage equality under the Jindal administration in 2035.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

zoux posted:

Growing up evangelical I thought that honest-to-god child-sacrificing blood-drinking Satanists would be way more of a thing than they actually are. I think any "Satanic ritual murders" are like one-offs and not part of any actual religious thing

The Satanic Panic of the 80s (and into the 90s) was tremendously hosed up and gave lots of small town cops an excuse to pin poo poo on weirdos they didn't like and cover up their embarrassingly inability to do any type of real investigation. See: the Cameron Todd Willingham case in Texas or the West Memphis Three. This is especially tragic as the whole endeavor was mostly a fundraising tactic for megachurches and televangelists.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Sucrose posted:

Most “Satanists,” including both Church of Satan and Satanic Temple, are essentially edgy atheists trolling fundamentalists Christians. Satanists who non-ironically worship the biblical Satan are rare almost to the point of non-existence, and I don’t think there’s a single organized group of them.

Vox has a very good article on the history of the Satanic Panic. It's interesting how closely it parallels QAnon. I guess we can thank our fractured media landscape for Q not turning into a more mainstream phenomenon.

twistedmentat posted:

You can watch a bunch of amusing videos on youtube that are silly, but were taken super seriously at the time.

Seriously. The Satanic Panic legitimately ruined a lot of lives. Like, imagine if your local news had a "this raises interesting points" story about Q. (And also imagine it was back when, like, local news was actually watched by people.)

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 16, 2019

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

zoux posted:

lol take it easy dude

Also lol:

https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1112353770543837185

I believe part of what warps these peoples' world view so intensely is that they think that TV shows and movies are real

A couple of months back there were these metro ads around DC for FBI recruiting, with the line "field agents can come from any background". I'm surprised no one has captures a photo of that ad to incorporate into the LARP.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

fishmech posted:

What the hell is this nonsense, or are you just trying to fancy up "Trump said they can get rid of the undesirables"?

There was an interview with Matthew Continetti on the Ezra Klein Show recently, where he had an interesting quote "If the left thinks the religious right is bad, just wait 'till they see the non-religious right." Now, he was making a point about how, without Christianity, the American right would descend into blood-and-soil, Euro-style nativism.

But I think QAnon also fits into this. God is dead, but people need something to fill the god-shaped hole that's left behind. Conspiracy fills the gap. And we didn't have anything to speak to that, but Trump did.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Kolyin/status/1113515295283527680

We're this post weed, it would be "that lound". This is that real poo poo.

Man, 30 years from now people are gonna look back and think legalizing weed was a huge mistake.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

pookel posted:

At some point, wasn't there a term specifically meaning "real-animal otherkin" as opposed to fantasy otherkin? And also to differentiate them from furries? I can't think of it though.

There were definitely early furries who considered being a furry to be basically a real-animal otherkin. But that was also in the weird time when all these subcultures were getting sorted out through the internet. It used to be that there would just be the group of weird kids that all decided (some of them more seriously than others) that they were something that was some melding of their own personal obsessions and whatever type of White Wolf game they happened to be into with at the time.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it is not clear if this picture is him or just something that he was posting at the time, but regardless: *grim lol*

The actual picture of him during the shooting is equally embarrassing.

https://twitter.com/dallasnews/status/1140656385899814912?s=21

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 17, 2019

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

twistedmentat posted:

I can't wait for them to claim that Trump was actually just trying to inflitrate his sex ring by...having lots of sex with 13 year old girls. Watch there's pictures of Trump.

I just hope and pray that Bill Clinton isn't in there at all.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Prester Jane posted:

I think I can parse what is happening in that post and make what is happening there comprehensible to a non-cultist: Q is telling his supporters that the Narrative Dysphoria they are experiencing doesn't matter- because very soon the God-Force is going to start the "Great Upwelling".

Since the "Great Upwelling" is only defined in my thread I will elaborate on it here:

All Narrativist belief systems have some form of the "Great Upwelling"- a momentous event wherein the God-force asserts its dominion over human society, casting out the Enemy in a climatic compaction cycle and elevating The Elect into their proper place as rulers over the world.

The "rapture" as depicted in Left Behind is the example of a belief in the Great Upwelling most posters here will already be familiar with. Other examples would include "The day of the rope" from the notoriously racist Turner Diaries or the "Falling of the Veil" in Otherkin cults.

The important thing here is a given Qanon adherent does not need to believe in the Christian God in order for this particular psychological manipulation technique to be effective on them. As long as they are a Narrativist they will ultimately believe in some form of the Great Upwelling as well as having an equivalent of a God-Force; they will probably have their own labels a names for things, but the structure of the police will be identical, because the structure of the underlying psychology driving those beliefs is identical.

The thing to constantly keep in mind with narrative is that the specifics of their beliefs are basically irrelevant, what matters is the underlying structure of those beliefs. Narrativists can cooperate with each other, even if their inner narratives are theoretically opposed, because the underlying structure of their beliefs provides a path to finding common ground.

PJ, you’re re-inventing the eschatology. This subject is fairly well-trod ground that already has a lot of academic research into it. It might help you better define and explain your theories if you spent some time looking into that.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Opferwurst posted:

q baby is killing me, I can't stop giggling about it. what a time to be alive.

when they do one of these "remember the the '10s" shows in 2050 I hope they do a segment on the q crap and dig up the grown up q baby from their space-meth/time-travelling-heroin hovel to parade them around. :allears:

That’s a tremendously optimistic outlook, that Q will be a quaint relic in the future. These kinds of conspiracy theories just gain legitimacy as time goes on. Look at all the Kennedy assassination theories. It starts with pure nut jobs, then there are hucksters trying to get something off the nutjobs, then it dies down for a bit.... But then it gains some counter-cultural cachet. Maybe you have some punks making songs referencing it (to parody the initial nutjobs - https://youtu.be/l9jAGtfi8S4 ) maybe it’s just idiot kids trying to say something edgy. (You’re already seeing this with the “Bush did 911” meme-ing.)

So, while all that counter-cultural cachet builds, a new generation is growing up and exposed to it, robbed of the original context. Instead, to them, it’s just something said by people who are too cool for their parents to like. Then those kids become adults and suddenly there’s “serious” looking into if there was actually something to all those conspiracies. Popular culture starts referencing the conspiracy in less-mocking tones, and so the next generation buys into it even more.

So yeah, before 2100 there will be more than one studio movie that references how Q was right. That’s the future that’s in front of us.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

VitalSigns posted:

I mostly agree but it kind of confuses your point at the end here when you equate a true thing to Q or Kennedy assassination nonsense

Yep, it’s that exact kind of low-effort trolling that will eventually have our kids and grandkids talking about “I mean, if Q was fake, how are there so many unanswered questions?”

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

selec posted:

I have absolutely 0 faith that the Clintons would be opposed on the basis of any kind of moral principle to murdering people who get in their way.

Powerful people have power. What do you think they use it for?

I don’t think they did it, because there’s no real evidence, but I’d be less than surprised to find out they they were in some way caught up with making it happen.

This is the “I mean, I’m not sure but then again it’s plausible” phase I talked about earlier in the inevitable march towards our grandchildren assuming Q is/was real.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1155848981328486401

Ah of course the Deep State Cabal is filing stories to signal to people that conspiracists are dead instead of just....not doing that

Aw drat. I saw a segment on that dog on an old episode of NOVA. It was a very good dog

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

pseudanonymous posted:

I have to say on the JFK one, I don't have any particular belief, I've just heard so many weird things over the years about it that in my head I'm like something strange happened right? But then I wonder am I just an effete q-anon liberal equivalent. I mean I don't really care whether a cabal assassinated JFK, I certainly don't read J-drops or anything. It just... seems strange to me. But I also never really look at it (picked up the breadcrumbs as they say).

Why do you think that way? Well, I pretty much described it a few pages ago...

LanceHunter posted:

That’s a tremendously optimistic outlook, that Q will be a quaint relic in the future. These kinds of conspiracy theories just gain legitimacy as time goes on. Look at all the Kennedy assassination theories. It starts with pure nut jobs, then there are hucksters trying to get something off the nutjobs, then it dies down for a bit.... But then it gains some counter-cultural cachet. Maybe you have some punks making songs referencing it (to parody the initial nutjobs - https://youtu.be/l9jAGtfi8S4 ) maybe it’s just idiot kids trying to say something edgy. (You’re already seeing this with the “Bush did 911” meme-ing.)

So, while all that counter-cultural cachet builds, a new generation is growing up and exposed to it, robbed of the original context. Instead, to them, it’s just something said by people who are too cool for their parents to like. Then those kids become adults and suddenly there’s “serious” looking into if there was actually something to all those conspiracies. Popular culture starts referencing the conspiracy in less-mocking tones, and so the next generation buys into it even more.

So yeah, before 2100 there will be more than one studio movie that references how Q was right. That’s the future that’s in front of us.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

FFFFFEMA??

FEMA DEATH CAMPS FEMA DEATh CAMPS FEMMMAAAAAA

Man, there is no good 90s nostalgia.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Martian posted:

The Hunt for Red October is probably my favourite movie, I am now very curious why it is considered important in Qanon....

90% certain it was just because the word "October" was in the title, so it was easy to free-associate about it during the month of October.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

RagnarokAngel posted:

Its da vinci code poo poo. There's members of the community "skilled" at decoding these drops and so while they decipher it the deep state just doesn't have anyone as smart as them so the faithful will remain ahead of them.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a return of some good ol' fashioned Hal Lindsey / Tim LaHaye biblical prophecy about the "rapture" and apocalypse come back into fashion. We might see some 2020s version of "The Late Great Planet Earth" or "Left Behind" climbing the bestseller charts in the next year or two.

Also, we're about to have another Catholic president, so it wouldn't surprise me to see more anti-papist conspiracy stuff start to float around (especially since they can start with the fact that there was an actual honest-to-goodness sex abuse conspiracy to serve as an entry point).

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I'm a little worried about these growing Q and Sov Cit networks. There were similar networks (including the E-Clause people) that enabled that woman who went on the run after her plan to try to raid a foster home was exposed: https://www.thedailybeast.com/qanon-incited-her-to-kidnap-her-son-and-then-hid-her-from-the-law. It sounds similar to what was being built up in the lead up to the Oklahoma City bombing.

A bootlegger-and-baptist alliance of Q-pilled "save the children" mothers and actual child molesters scamming who are scamming them into gaining access to their children on these farms is an irony that's just a bit too misanthropic for my taste.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Calico Heart posted:

Hey y'all. I run a pretty small Youtube channel, but am working on a longform project about Q and where it will go from here.

I'm going to be interviewing Rick Alan Ross, a cult deprogrammer, for the project. I'm mostly going to be asking about cults in the age of the internet, and how they can exist without leaders that take pro-active roles in their lives. Anyone have anything they really want to ask him?

Mockery of the phenomenon's absurdities: Helpful or hurtful in convincing people to step away? (Also, helpful or hurtful in keeping people away from it in the first place?)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

exmachina posted:

As the video posted on the previous page explained, qanon has become a "big-tent" conspiracy theory, probably because there is no one big event it is centred upon, unlike JFK, moon landing etc, and the q drops are so vague you can read whatever you want.

I'd even argue it goes further than a big tent and is now becoming a (perhaps the) generic brand that any conspiracy theory can use, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years people might just refer to all conspiracy theories in general as "Q".

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

FFT posted:

maybe calm down about the posting of a reasonably informative long-form article

Reasonably informative? It was nearly gibberish. If it wasn't attacking Q it would be indistinguishable from a pro-Q piece.

Also, calling out Cambridge Analytica for using "big data" to target the content is ridiculous as we've learned that Cambridge Analytica was mostly bullshitting about what they were capable of doing. While they got a lot of data it was almost entirely basic demographic data that wouldn't let them do targeting any more sophisticated than your average advertise-by-mail campaign.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

betaraywil posted:

^--- I apologize for fueling this derail

Yeah, the existence of the Q document is not a gnostic thing. That is, it's not a lost secret version of the Bible. It's just a slightly earlier "version" of the the Gospels that are really similar to one another (Matthew, Mark, and Luke) that has the stuff that Matthew and Luke have in common with each other but not with Mark. The whole point is that it's really similar to lots of texts that survive.

Exactly. I had the pleasure of taking a class on the origins of Christianity from Michael White, one of the premier scholars on the subject. Basically, scholars know for sure that Mark is the earliest of the gospels and that a lot of the material in the others was likely cribbed from it. So since Mark was one source that they likely cribbed from, but they share other stuff, scholars wonder if the stuff they shared came from yet another source. It probably did, but that source was probably just stories shared among the early Jewish Christians. (The Gospel of John is kind of out in its own worlds with Acts.)

Of course, now we just need to wait until the Q cult stumbles across this and spins up some fresh hell out of it. We can probably expect it to be another version of KJV supremacy.

Rob Rockley posted:

It’s a surprisingly common belief for a religious tradition with two totally contradictory origin myths, which promptly collide with each other on the very first page of the Bible. which is kind of the whole problem with Qanon and other conspiracy beliefs as well: how do you reach someone who has gone so far up their rear end, telling you they’ve done the research and have all the facts, when they clearly ignore what’s right in front of all our faces? I really think that while it’s not a uniquely American problem, Americans are very taken with conspiracy theories because our country was founded by people who got kicked out of Europe for being Bible crazies, and I think that has greatly influenced our relationship with things like obvious facts.[...]

Speaking of myths...

Only one small part of the country was founded by Bible crazies. The pilgrims were very much just a New England thing. Even once you got to New York their influence wasn't that great. The slavers and traders that set up in Virginia had a lot more more influence in the overall direction of the country for much of its early history. When the original Great Awakenings happened they did a lot more to shape the kind of bible craziness that this country experienced, and the original pilgrims and their Calvinist ilk had very little to do with it.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

HappyHippo posted:

Another good book if you're interested in this kind of thing is Jesus: Apocalyptic Prophet of the New Millennium by Bart D. Ehrman. It's basically the kind of book that summarizes the scholarly "consensus" (that word may be too strong but you get the gist) on what Jesus probably actually believed for the non-specialist. The short summary is that Jesus (likely) thought the apocalypse was going to happen within his own lifetime and that God was going to overthrow the forces of evil and institute a new kingdom on earth. He spends a lot of time explaining the evidence and reasoning that goes into that consensus. It may sound like a dry topic but I found the book well written and very interesting.

It's also interesting how many other prophets were out there just like Jesus, leading groups of followers and talking about how the end of the world was coming. This was also a culture on the cusp of a massive revolution, so apocalyptic thinking was pretty common. There's a really interesting book, Rebecca’s Children: Judaism and Christianity in the Roman World that goes into detail about how rabbinical Judaism and Christianity were both basically the products of the same forces at the same time (and greatly shaped each other in their formative periods).

EDIT:

jojoinnit posted:

Sorry to interrupt, but I'm watching the news and they just broke with breaking that Trump tweeted he pardoned Flynn. I assume that'll give fuel to some Thanksgiving Q drops, or has the importance of Flynn decreased since last year? I remember he was central, at least to the twitteratti.

Goddamn. It's happened so recently that it isn't even trending on Twitter yet. This will be interesting.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 25, 2020

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

PT6A posted:

Well, in a sense, that's not entirely true. My understanding is that Islamic jurisprudence holds that you're a Muslim as soon as you knowingly recite the confession of faith. Whether you consider yourself a Muslim or practice the religion makes no difference (you might be a "bad" Muslim but you are still a Muslim), and I believe some schools of Islamic jurisprudence believe that, provided you've recited the confession of faith, then ultimately you're Muslim no matter what and Allah is the most forgiving, etc. etc.

I mean, even in Islam you can't be tricked into saying the shahadah. I mean, I guess you can be tricked into saying the words, but that doesn't count. You need to recite it three times, sincerely, in front of witnesses. You can't accidentally boffa/ligma your way into Islam.

Twelve by Pies posted:

In theory, the "I was a super bad person and committed all the crimes multiple times but then found Jesus" serves two purposes. One, it allows them to reach out to people who have fallen on hard times. There's the idea that people will think "I'm not good enough to be saved, it's pointless" and the idea is that by saying you were just as bad (or worse) as other people, and you are saved, those people will go "Oh, I guess I can believe in Jesus after all."

Two, it reinforces the Protestant idea of "faith saves you and works are meaningless," that it doesn't matter what horrible things you did because if you say the magic words you're saved and the bad things you did don't matter. The grossest, most vile example of this is the Chick tract Lisa where a father who's sexually abusing his daughter gets found out by a doctor, who tells him to pray to Jesus, and then the father comes home and says "I'm not going to molest you anymore honey, isn't it great?" and he doesn't go to jail or anything because he said the magic words so all the crimes he did aren't important anymore.

Also, this tradition helped fuel the Satanic Panic because a lot of hucksters told conversion stories about how they were doing human sacrifices and all kinds of ridiculous poo poo when they were in the secret satanic cults until Jesus saved them. It made for really juicy stories, and evangelicals lapped it up. It got so common that some neo-pagan groups who were trying to fight the satanic panic started going to these hucksters' events and calling the police when they told these stories, because if it was actually true then they just confessed to committing murder in front of an entire audience. (The fact that the regular evangelical audience never even thought to do this is very telling.)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Fame Douglas posted:

Or Iraq building weapons of mass destruction in mobile laboratories? Clearly we should support peaceful Saddam!

Quoting a month-old post out of the blue to simp for Assad? Shameful.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

pseudanonymous posted:

I don't know if you see value in it but I grew up in a cult, so if you have any questions that direct personal experience might answer feel free - though we left when I was 12 so I wasn't that directly involved.

I mean, it feels like the most relevant question to ask is: Why did you leave? Was it any particular thing that caused the decision, or just a culmination? Did someone help you get out?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

RagnarokAngel posted:

A few Q believers got in because they were the republican candidate so people voted for them because most people vote straight ticket for their party and I dont think Q factored into their decision making. This is asking people to sit home which I think Q people have no more power to affect than leftists like myself who refused to vote for Biden (albeit slightly different story with presidential elections to be sure).

Elections come down to numbers. If they dont have the numbers they cant change the outcome.

Yeah, I think Q's biggest impacts will be in future primaries, where guaranteed-red districts might have a Q candidate and a traditional Republican candidate (or maybe a Q candidate and a Tea Party candidate) and since the margin will be somewhere in the 2000 vote range the Q candidate might win out. There will probably be some performative Trumpism from otherwise-regular candidates just to head off challenges from that end of the party. Especially for state-level elections where you aren't absolutely guaranteed a Republican win because of gerrymandering. The Republicans remember Christine "I'm Not a Witch" O'Donnell and aren't about to let that kind of thing happen again in a contest where the general election could be competitive.

Of course, all this assumes that Q even remains as a viable force in the next 4-8 years. (The comedy option here being that any criminal prosecutions of Trump and his family in that time keep the Q trend going strong and cause the Republicans to have to cater to them even more.)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I don't even think they're saying it's a mini nuke, just a 30,000 pound MOAB (I think the GBU-43 is the largest in our arsenal and clocks in at 21,600 pounds). But, like, getting 1/3rd the casualties of Hiroshima from a bunker buster, and that happening on US soil without major reporting, is the kind of insanity that's classic Q. (Also, they seem to be mixing up bomb weight and blast yield. Even the GBU-43 only yields 11 tons of blast.)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

TulliusCicero posted:

...I know these people are completely bugfuck insane, but a Bunker Buster was dropped on Robbinson Maine? Wouldn't people like, I dunno, HEAR or SEE that?

Like the secret shoot-out at the German Servers was one thing: this is like "yeah everyone in a 5-10 mile radius would FEEL that;how would anyone possibly cover that up?" :psyduck:

Crazy poo poo happening but remaining undetectable is a vital part of any conspiracy theory. Like, people forget, but the reason the term "black helicopters" was so associated with conspiracy theories in the 90s was because the conspiracy theorists had decided that the government/UN/whatever boogeyman had developed super-high-tech helicopters that made absolutely no noise. That way they could say that there was some secret helicopter deployment of nefarious people doing nefarious poo poo, and be able to handwave away the questions about how no one heard one of the noisiest aircraft in existence.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Twelve by Pies posted:

I dunno, Biden's communist takeover sounds nice, but it lacks a little something compared to Obama's communist takeover. No mandatory gay marriage? No child sacrifices to Allah? Those really helped Obama stand out when he turned the US into a communist hellhole.

I mean, the Biden takeover will finally see the mandatory vaccinations that Obama never achieved...

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

TulliusCicero posted:

I know these people as addled and dumb as gently caress, but how exactly would China get a large enough force over here to conquer a fuckhuge country like the US?

Do they have mass teleportation or something?

Oh man, there's actually some weird things with how conspiracy nuts and the like talk about Chinese troop movements. Like, the "Left Behind" Christian apocalypse cult people actually have this belief that, since China has so many troops they couldn't possibly move them with conventional means. So once China goes to war with Israel (because the Antichrist will get everyone to go to war with Israel right before armageddon), they will have their troops ride horses East. Apparently they think this because there's some verse in Revelations about massive army on horseback attacking Israel. Sure, the great fires and such they will say is actually nuclear weapons and everything else has some proper modern analogue, but when they talk about an army on horseback they see it as absolutely literal.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Murgos posted:

Fair point. They toss around Military Tribunals so often that I just sort of glaze over it. It's interesting that they think the military is so beholden to Trump that once they have seized full power on their own terms, utterly invalidating the constitution and destroying any concept of an office of the president, that they will meekly hand over a complete authoritarian dictatorship to him.

And that's a good thing.

No, you see, Trump actually won the election! The Democrats cheated, and the military knows they have cheated. But you see, they follow Walmart shoplifting rules, where you have to actually walk out of the store (or take the Oath of Office) to be able to be caught and then prosecuted...

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

DarklyDreaming posted:

[...]the spirit of Colombia Herself

Completely off-topic, but it would be dope as hell if the personified Columbia could become a popular subject in art again.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

RagnarokAngel posted:

That really sounds like wish fulfillment.

Yeah, it has a strong vibe of "No, we leftists are just too pure and correct to ever become totalitarian! Even when there were leftist totalitarian empires they wanted to wipe us out (but they totally would have accepted the right wingers because those right-wingers are soooo stupid!)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

LonsomeSon posted:

Draw a line through US history between the witch trials and QAnon, and it passes directly through the eugenics laws, the Lavendar Scare, and the Satanic Panic without bending once.

Absolutely fucken lol at the idea of trying to understand the internal rationale behind this bullshit, it’s about taking satisfaction in the harm to Others Who Deserve It, and using that imperative to do harm to reify normativity. Everything else is just camouflage and ad copy.

Eugenics laws were the one of the major planks of the early-20th century progressive movement. The same folks who gave us trust-busting, women's suffrage, prohibition, child labor laws, etc. Unfortunately, the good intentions of the movement and its core philosophy of the ability of government to create a better society allowed it to fall prey to the eugenicist's lies about the ability to perfect the human race. This major flaw in early progressivism is an important lessons that we modern progressives need to learn to make sure that we aren't unintentionally falling for some contemporary evil that is disguising itself as a benefit for society.

My point in bringing this up is to say that trying to draw a straight line through every lovely thing that has happened in the country's past ends up flattening out all of the real history and the lessons that can be learned from it.