Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Pops Mgee posted:

Star Wars is good when it gets weird with it and that is a good episode.

Imagine what Lucas and David Lynch could've come up with for Revenge Of The Jedi.

Just imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Tomtrek posted:

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1257339618099441664

Looking forward to see who they'll replace him with after they fire him for making a film that's too comedic!

Here's hoping it's a buddy cop thing with the Jason Sudeikis / Adam Pally stormtroopers.

Cheesus posted:

Or is he?

No eyebrows at the end of ROTS and none during the ROTJ unmasking.

But big bushy eyebrow during his fight with Ahsoka Tano in Rebels?

Uhh...

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Tomtrek posted:

One of the changes for the Special Edition was digitally removing Anakin's eyebrows.

I understand this.

I also acknowledge it as unofficial vandalism.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

They could come back and do a fourth film of the ST to provide a better conclusion. It could happen with strong writing. Just saying...

You need a whole new trilogy to attempt to justify whatever the gently caress happened in TROS.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

My two favorite RoS clips:

https://youtu.be/R1MwQ1hCvOk

Absolutely none of this poo poo pays off and it looks like several different scenes and locations stitched together. Everything that could have advanced Rey’s character gets reversed in the next scene and never mentioned again. How did Kylo AND Rey AND Finn not notice that this wasn’t the ship Chewie was on? Who cares?

https://youtu.be/bz6PgdhhkUM

Maybe the worst setup for a central conflict in any movie I’ve seen in years. What more needs to be said?

You can really tell from the stilted delivery and checked-out look on his face that Oscar was thinking "Am I really about to say this poo poo right now?"

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Vintersorg posted:

The entire sequel trilogy is an absolute failure when you put it all together. gently caress - get Filoni to somehow fix it.

Wait until X, XI & XII happen in like 15 years and there's like an extended Special Edition of the sequels as part of its lead-up (VII has like two scenes added, VIII gets the Luke Mourns / False Ach-To Invasion / Finn's Jacket / Alt-Phasma Death scenes reinstated with some minor Canto Bight trims to balance it, and XI gets like 50% of it changed).

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Bongo Bill posted:

An interquel cartoon set between episodes 8 and 9 could rehabilitate the trilogy by expanding on what's salvageable in the context of a coherent creative vision. Compared to Clone Wars, however, it'd have an uphill battle, since it wouldn't be set in between two good movies.

Since when did Attack Of The Clones become considered a good movie?

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Revenge Of The Sith is Top 3 Star Wars.

Phantom Menace and Rise Of Skywalker are tied at the bottom for me (Phantom Menace looks nice and blows up the scope of the galaxy, but it fucks up at almost everything else).

Attack Of The Clones is close to bottom of the barrel, but at least it's George hilariously unfiltered.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
God Tier:
- The Empire Strikes Back

Messiah Tier:
- The Last Jedi
- Revenge Of The Sith
- A New Hope

"Pretty Dope" Tier:
- Rogue One
- Return Of The Jedi (Theatrical cut)
- The Force Awakens

"Uh..." Tier:
- Return Of The Jedi (Special Edition)
- Attack Of The Clones
- Solo

"Oof" Tier:
- The Phantom Menace

gently caress Tier:
- The Rise Of Skywalker

gently caress TROS is so bad gently caress gently caress

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 22, 2020

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

OldSenileGuy posted:

And remove the RotJ:SE altogether.

I mean just an example of how much the SE screws that movie.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

2house2fly posted:

I don't have a problem with the special edition of ROTJ, I was never really attached to the Yub Jub song at the end and the replacement is nice as a trilogy ender. The sarlacc having a little prehensile mouth coming up out of its mouth is dumb but w/e

Replacing a grimy funk tune with a theme park showstopper and showing the Rancor too early really messes with the atmosphere of that scene to the point where it's kinda annoying.

That little tick gets me in a nitpick mood for the rest of it that I wouldn't otherwise (also gently caress Jar Jar having the last line of the trilogy).

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
At least Rian acknowledges and appreciates aspects of the prequels.

Unlike a certain other director who tried to ignore them outright...

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Can't wait for X, XI & XII to come out just for the internet to start being like "This poo poo sucks, the Direct Sequels were better!"

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

You know what would have owned as a film, especially after TLJ? An entire installment dedicated to the arms industry and war profiteers, which was deffo being set up by the DJ plot. We didn't need the trilogy structure this time around. Pick up with taking on the FO in the fourth film or whatever. So many film series are doing away with the trilogy concept that it's not required to shackle oneself to it anymore. Of course Disney made the poor choice to release these stand-alone films in between the main ones so they had to deal with some fatigue, but it was entirely unnecessary.

Dual Of The Fates' first draft (kinda) dealt with this.

Really though had they decided to finish the saga on an Episode X once Trevorrow was canned, that would've felt way more complete. Honestly, there's so many threads unresolved (and accidentally created in a mad attempt at Rise unnecessarily trying to smash together 9 movies worth of poo poo) that a Threequel trilogy is kinda necessary to address it.

Just, you know, wait at least full decade first. And plan the whole thing out this time you dumb fucks.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Pretty good posted:

The Star Wars prequels were perfect movies and their detractors are Terrorists.

There's only one good prequel bro.

Two if you count Rogue One.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Jewmanji posted:

I mean, it's fine not to like the prequels (they're great), but I can't think of a single criteria under which the sequels can be considered more enjoyable films. They are narratively inert, at times incoherent, and suffer from a fatal lack of imagination. I strain to think of a single truly original idea that emerged from the films.

Idk TLJ is one of those movies that I accidentally end up watching all of whenever it's on TV.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Glottis posted:

It's very frustrating that an imaginative property like Star Wars can be so beloved that it becomes a product crafted by focus groups and market research. It's the exact opposite of what happened with the prequels.

They do that for the first one, they forgo it for the middle entry then go "Whoops! Our Bad" when fanboys get pissed at its direction instead of sticking to their guns and make the last one a reactionary focus-tested homunculus.

The good thing at least is that now that the OT characters are out of the picture, they can pretty much do whatever they want without as extreme of a fear of push-back / excessive executive meddling.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Jewmanji posted:

There's nothing remotely heretical or even schismatic about TLJ's understanding of Star Wars. This notion that Rise of Skywalker is some over-correction because Rian Johnson tried to do something bold is such a weird canard wholly unsupported by evidence.

I personally can't find what it is that makes public opinions on TLJ so divided other than it's a Schrodinger's Cat of a movie. I liked that Holdo was basically an 80's anime character. I liked Punished Luke. I found flying Leia to be an awesome moment for her character. I liked the DJ stuff and thought it'd be interesting to follow up in IX how arms dealers have a roll. I liked the way the events in the film was structured and found it to really feel like a space "opera." I liked the new force powers, found the lightspeed kamikaze to be the most loving awesome sequence of the Disney-era, and dug the (unfortunately thrown away) concept that bloodlines don't equal unrivaled power. Hell, (for the most part) I even liked Rose.

A lot of people hate the film for same reasons. That's alright too.

But someone involved in the making of TROS must've rolled with the laundry list of takes online and concluded TLJ was two & a half hours of fandom heresy so they went "Let's not do this, let's do THIS instead" and brought JJ back to essentially complete his lesser-remake of the OT (and you could argue Snoke was initially just gonna be Palpatine 2.0, so why not not break what's not already broken but maybe worn to static by bringing back Palpatine... the safest and most goddamn pathetic option anyone could've come up with).

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 11, 2020

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A movie with a coherent vision and tone is always more interesting to watch and to discuss than a chopped-up studio mess.

David Lynch's Dune is "interesting" and that was mercilessly hacked to death.

But then again... David Lynch.

I'm still deathly curious how a David Lynch Revenge Of The Jedi would've turned out.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Cartoon Man posted:

Let’s jump to another future trilogy and the head bad guy says to his apprentice, “Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Palpatine the <what goes here?>”

Help me out.

It'll be the decomposing essence of Plagueis connected to a kabbalah tree, who will then fuse with his apprentice in some spiel like "There has only been one Sith Lord soul the whole time that's moved to separate bodies for hundreds of thousands of years-" etc.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Wasn't that whole scene done in like one take though (because of the fire curtains)?

I honestly didn't notice any of the hiccups at first until I saw that Corridor stunt video, but even then I more or less shrugged it off considering it was a timed sequence.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

JonathonSpectre posted:

If Vader had killed the Emperor and Luke had immediately killed Vader and then hopped on the throne and said, "Get to blastin them Rebel cruisers Officer Gleepglop!" people would mock that fight mercilessly as well.

I mean, Luke was originally supposed to take the mask after that and be like "Now I am Vader."

gently caress I want to step into whatever dimension that Lynch Revenge Of The Jedi was made.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

euphronius posted:

Episode 2 and 3 own you are in the sweet spot of the whole series

III/RO/IV/V is the sweet spot.

Barudak posted:

Episode 1 is the best Star Wars film and unfortunately we dont get anything that good again until the second half of Episode 6 but dang what an ending

That's enough bad takes for one day.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

man nurse posted:

Hey guys I’ve been reading up and it sounds like the Skywalker Saga 4K set is a pretty mixed bag? Anyone have it and can advise whether or not it’s worth picking up? I already know about maclunkey, I’m inquiring more about the picture quality.

Best picture quality you'll get for any of the movies (even the prequels).

What I don't get is how a scan of the Theatrical versions for the originals aren't commercially available as at least a separate option in the year of our Lord 2020.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Glottis posted:

I just wish they'd MCU-ize Star Wars. Make a movie about some people that can do X. Make a movie about some people that are fighting for Y. Make a movie about some people that are descended from Z. Put them all together LATER and it'll be fun. Give everyone some time to shine. Rogue One did well and those characters are explicitly dead. Cmon.

I don't think copping the MCU method is the way to go (22 movies to build to an 'alright' story ejaculation is kinda something I never want to live through again), but having like the Mandelorian and maybe one more show build up to a new trilogy over the next decade would be cool.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Bilirubin posted:

Leia Poppins

It's been 3 years and I still really, really don't get how that bothered people so much.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

AdmiralViscen posted:

It’s been a year but I am still in disbelief at how horrible TROS is

The only thing i can compare it to is hobbit 3

Idk, in terms of a mess it feels more like Lynch's Dune but with like none vision.

Actually, better comparison: Batman Forever.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I'm just thinking of all the tie-in poo poo that could've made bank if Dual Of The Fates was made...

- Animated series in the 9-year time skip between TLJ & DotF
- GAMES. Shooters/Platformers/RPGs/VR with Rey's double-bladed saber/Eclipse Destroyer simulator with inverted controls
- Blind Rey/Nu-mask Kylo/General Finn/Saiyan armor Rose toys be flying off shelves
- Additional Disney+ poo poo
- Additional theme park poo poo

Throwing all that out was literally the opposite of everything Yogurt stands for.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

romanowski posted:

they should have made david lynch make episode 9

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1220722803718139905

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
This is way too much.

My only hope (hehe) that they drop only one or two of these a year between here and 2025. Otherwise it's saturation.

Here's what I'm thinking:

- Bad Batch / Visions (2021)

- Ahsoka / Andor / Obi-Wan (2022)

- Lando / Droid Story / [End of Mandalorian] / Rogue Squadron (2023)

- The Acolyte / Rangers Of The New Republic (2024)

- Untitled Taika Waititi Chiss movie (2025)

- Episodes X-XII written & directed by ME (2032-2037)

Horizon Burning posted:

are any of those new series in the sequel trilogy-era?

A movie, but Rogue Squadron takes place after TROS it looks like.

Can't be too far afterwards though if they're still using loving X-Wings.

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 11, 2020

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Ay, so Taika's movie might be set 25,000 years in the past.

Bring on the Tho Yors baby!

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
The more I think about it, the more that Mando finale (and this season) pisses me off.

I loved season one, and there were 2 episodes this season (the Frog Lady & Bill Burr one) that opened the galaxy to more adventurous possibilities again; but with every single one of those moments comes some nonsense like Boba Fett being around and throwing him around like some Gen X-er's action figure instead of anything meaningful to his own story/the larger picture at hand, Ahsoka showing up for her "I can't take him" moment because gently caress you this is an ad for my own TV show, continuing to make Empire forces/Stormtroopers dumb as tenselessness poo poo just because it's the status quo and they have to beat the horse's corpse to paste, and LUKE SKYWALKER COMING THE gently caress OUT OF NOWHERE just because they either A). Wrote themselves into a corner and took the easy way out or B). See that TLJ whining is still alive and well and felt compelled to make those said complaining dude-bros shut the gently caress up by inversely having them add fuel to the fire by screaming The Mandalorian fixes TLJ by FINALLY giving us a scene where Luke loving slaughters guys like a loving BADASS loving JEDI WARRIOR, DUDE. That's what being a Jedi is all about : loving CUTTING GUYS UP. Crushing a motherfucker with the force. Absolutely tearing through platoons of guys and then wading through a knee deep slurry of their viscera, as laid out in the Sacred Jedi Texts. I never got that Darth Vader was supposed to be a scary guy in the OT until Rogue One showed me that he could actually loving BLAST SEVERAL DUDES IN A HALLWAY, and now Disney has done the same for Luke. Star Wars is in safe hands. This is the same poo poo as Ghost Luke catching the saber in TROS being like "A Jedi's weapon should be treated with respect れ゚ぃ." It's transparent what they're doing (or being lazy fucks in trying not to do) and I can see right through that poo poo. And in turn, it completely cheapens the relationship between the two main characters of the goddamn show because what is supposed to be their emotional separation is dampened by Space Jesus. I LOVE Luke, Luke is that king poo poo, but I'm not gonna pretend to cum my pants over an asspull of legendary proportions.

I hope Season 3 and that Ahsoka and New Republic show prove me wrong (gently caress that Book of Boba Fett Yogurt "moichendising"-rear end poo poo), but as of Friday they're falling into the same trap of succumbing to JJ-isms & memberberries again.

*snort*

Cocaine is bad, kids.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

LionArcher posted:

ROS is the second best film in the new trilogy, and the 5th best Star Wars movie (of the main films).

Unlike the TLJ, it has a clear message that it sticks to multiple times, as well as having several well thought out and new fights relating to said themes, and in this 5 page essay, I will explain why it succeeds where TLJ pretending to be the cool college indie kid falls flat on its face in terms of both message and execution, whereas ROS is a tone poem that perfectly distills what the entire saga is about...

I've seen some some bad takes in my life

but oh man...

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
The problem with Rogue One are the lack of little spaces to breathe and just be present with the characters.

That and the soundtrack is so dull it actively detracts from the movie.

Still a top 5 Star War tho.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Well Manicured Man posted:

I think Giacchino whipped it up in a couple months/weeks. Alexandre Desplat was originally pulled in to do the score but got let go and all his music got scrapped during the reshoots only a few months before the premier.

Desplat would've been such a step up jfc.

I love how the only Disney Star Wars movie that had a smooth production is the one that broke people.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Maxwell Lord posted:

And the result was a great movie.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Man, all the sequels really need is an extended edition or something.

5 minute Operation Cinder preamble tacked into TFA before Max Von Sidow's intro, the deleted Finn's Jacket/Hardy Trooper/Alternate Phasma death/Caretaker Villiage raid scenes into TLJ, and the 25 minutes of deleted poo poo in TROS that would've fleshed some things out + a few scene rearrangements.

May have to wait until the 2030's or whenever the original cuts of the OT are allowed to be released on yet another box set.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

euphronius posted:

Aotc and rots are both really well made. I get why people don’t enjoy them tho. Especially aotc, it asked a lot of the viewer

"The women... and the children... I KILLED THEM ALL"

*Anakin throws saber*

Padme, nonchalant monotone: "To be angry is to be human Anni."

Wow, I wonder why?

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

ungulateman posted:

do you stand up in the movie theater and yell "don't go in there!!!" when the drunk teenagers walk towards a haunted house in a horror movie

That's not even a remotely close comparison.

Really... what??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
TPM by far has the coolest ideas and maybe the 2 coolest scenes in all the movies, but it is the WORST to sit through all the way.

Probably the only SW movie I dread rewatching aside from TROS.