Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
She does have a very concerned look on her face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

T-man posted:

For tax purposes our employees are classed as bulk goods

Employees? We don't have any employees, these are all independent contractors we have no legal association with.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

What a horrifying, unthinkable idea

They had those years before the iPhone. The worst thing the iPhone did was kill hardware keyboards on phones.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

anonumos posted:

A message from my company's "President & Chief Revenue Officer":

Not exactly "capitalism.png", but more "not all companies". They've been on top of isolating and work-from-home even before the pandemic was declared and stay-at-home orders were issued.

I'm not sure how many other companies would actually encourage people to leave work early to participate in protests.

If The Man allows you to do a protest, is it really a protest?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Lol her husband won't even be able to retire on that

lmao if you retire and don't just die in the office

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

Quad-post lol, I checked Pepsi's wiki page to confirm they owned Frito Lay and I wasn't just imagining that (they do) and saw this section:

... what exactly was PepsiCo planning to do with 17 submarines, a frigate, a cruiser and a destroyer? :ohdear:

Sell them for scrap.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

dex_sda posted:

yeah having a sprint means a deadline every two weeks, so you keep being constantly stressed to fulfill your metrics

thankfully very few places implement sprints 'correctly' so it ends up being more chill but the times I did actual sprints were the worst

In theory the team sets their own metrics based on how many points they managed to do per sprint in the past, but in practice management pushes for the number to go up and PMs try to jam unplanned tasks into the sprint to make themselves look better.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Cold on a Cob posted:

digital pasties would not have been difficult at all

Like 8 or 13 points right rhere

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Have you ever seen a Commie drink a glass of water? Vodka, that's what they drink, isn't it? Never water? On no account will a Commie ever drink water, and not without good reason. Water, that's what I'm getting at, water. Mandrake, water is the source of all life. Seven-tenths of this earth's surface is water. Why, do you realize that seventy percent of you is water? And as human beings, you and I need fresh, pure water to replenish our precious bodily fluids. Are you beginning to understand? Mandrake. Mandrake, have you never wondered why I drink only distilled water, or rain water, and only pure-grain alcohol? Have you ever heard of a thing called fluoridation. Fluoridation of water? Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous Communist plot we have ever had to face?

I only drink water directly from the well to own the libs

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Jel Shaker posted:

isn’t the average onlyfans earnings like $300 per month?

46% of Canadians are $200 or less away from bankruptcy (probably more now, this was a poll from 2019) so pulling in $300 more a month is actually a huge deal for a lot of people.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I was afraid that I can no longer steal from my employer while working from home, but FinPo is here to reassure me.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The average employee spends 15 hours a month criticizing their boss, the obvious solution is not to hire better management but to fire all those pesky employees!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
There's even chip and signature if you want a payment method that makes no sense at all.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Dick means thick, dich means you.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

T-man posted:

almods use significantly less water than cows, and depending on how they're grown can use even less.

https://www.businessinsider.com/real-villain-in-the-california-drought-isnt-almonds--its-red-meat-2015-4

tl;dr: kill all cows and make delicious beef jerky, then mandatory bimboveganism for all

Can't wait to make a killing on jerky futures

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Fame Douglas posted:

Why not just buy some beers at the store and enjoy a chill night with Cyberpunk instead of buying weird uncontrolled garbage.

Cyberpunk just makes people who work in software more depressed.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Len posted:

the article specifies that it's for teledoc and prescriptions

i had a teledoc give me an inhaler and antacids for a sinus infection so those are like rolling a die and hoping for the best

I had a teledoc tell me to drink plenty of Gatorade and have a good rest for an inflamed appendix and I almost died, I might have had better luck with my landlord.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
All of this stuff sounds hard, why not piggyback onto an existing society and just bribe lobby the government to change the laws you don't like?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, the idea is that if all of the knowledge of some program or component lives in one person's head, the company is poo poo out of luck if that person leaves. Therefore it's best if knowledge is distributed among several people, so that nobody has any bargaining power.

Except putting a new person on the project to learn the system typically decreases the overall output while the new person ramps up and the team is spending effort on helping them ramp up rather than writing more code. Good management recognizes that this is the case, bad management throws a fit if productivity (as they define it) ever goes down, so you have people who know nothing about the system shipping bad code and their teammates are rubber stamping it because they don't have time to train that person or review it properly.

Or sometimes there is no overlap at all and you have a whole team of people trying to figure out what's going on because the old team all quit.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The customers are Zagreus, trying to escape the ever-shifting labyrinth that is your store.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Thanatosian posted:

I'm on hold for support for a system that provides music players for businesses, and pay of their hold recording is "did you know that playing music makes cows give now milk? If music can make cookies now productive, think of what it can do for your employees!"

Just literally comparing people to cattle.

At my previous job we were straight up told to put on headphones and listen to music so we're not distracted by noise in the open concept office.

We had to provide our own headphones and music, of course.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Cold on a Cob posted:

stupid sexy coders

I fumbled a selector and now all of my facial features are stuck to the left side of my face.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

ArmZ posted:

there are more numbers between 3 and 4 than atoms in the universe

And the math elites don't want you to know about any of them.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

skooma512 posted:

Even JK acknowledged a wizard vs. everyone else war would go very poorly for the wizards. You can't get a spell up fast enough to block a bullet you don't know is coming, or what a bullet even is.

I do wonder why the wizard cops aren't running around with carbine rifles with the wand mounted under the barrel. Best of both worlds.

It's England, best you can do is a posh shotgun for hunting pheasants on the estate.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

skooma512 posted:

Not if you can teleport and have invisibility cloaks.

Just pop into a military armory and take what you like. They probably don't need to even take very many since they can dupe them later. Or maybe some enterprising wizard kept stuff after one of the world wars. Even an ancient Vickers machine gun will make short work of assholes on brooms if you stick it on top of the castle to prepare for the attack that was certainly coming eventually.

Edit: Or do what the IRA did and send for help from sympathetic Americans. The American magic government will lend-lease them crates of guns by yeeting them into fireplaces.

It's really hard to hit a small flying target with a single machine gun at more than a couple hundred yards, so wizards vs WWI army might be an interesting matchup.

By WWII you have quad 12-20 mm guns that will chew up anything within wizarding distance.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

camoseven posted:

Why are those extremely rich people so sad

Their taxes went up a little bit

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
No need to dig if you make it so expensive that only one vehicle will ever be using it at a time.

Yes, the city will still pay to build it, so what

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

please knock Mom! posted:

- let go
- company finds out only you knew how to do x thing
- you charge consulting fees to teach someone else how to do x thing

This happened to a former coworker of mine after covid hit, she was a part of the layoffs but then I guess they discovered that she was the only IT person at the company, so she was contracted back part-time.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

commie kong posted:

this site is insane

when an employee dies on the shop floor, play your “poo poo happens, nothing can be done” video

If someone shows me a prehire video, I will suddenly realize that's I'm a better fit elsewhere, yes.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

It gets better

https://twitter.com/CryptoWhale/status/1435231433732378627

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

the sex ghost posted:

Wonder how far away we are from some tech guy saying they're going to solve the climate crisis and food shortages etc by getting people to consent to go into the matrix pods and live in vr except you get in and it looks like second life and unless you pay for matrix premium you just get constant ads at ear splitting volume and you can't turn them off

In a year or so investor funding will dry up and you'll either be unceremoniously ejected from your pod to fend for yourself with your atrophied limbs or just die.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Bismuth posted:

How did you know?

Good idea, you can only keep one body but give everyone's consciousness a time slice on it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
No but you see, I am very smart, so my algorithm won't have this problem

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
When I worked at a deli my contract was explicit about employees not being entitled to free anything or discounts of any kind.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

tokin opposition posted:

How much is Canada going for these days? May as well make it officially america Jr.

You can have Alberta and Saskatchewan for free

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

"I wish that one day the citizens of my country no longer have to experience war themselves" [monkey's paw curls, Blackwater and millions of predator drones suddenly pop into existence]

Soliloquies in England posted:

Yet the poor fellows think they are safe! They think that the war is over! Only the dead have seen the end of war.

Seems achievable

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Colonel Cancer posted:

Wait how can you avoid the 20 stations in between if other incredibly self important drivers want to stop there? Do you have an individual tunnel for each car?

Getting someone like that to think about the fact that other people have needs too is a bit unrealistic.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

I would simply inform the companys of tesla, ford, and chevy that they now make seats for trains, and cabins for trains, and engines for trains, and then hand them designs for the trains approved by the train experts, and hand them money for changing the factories to make train things.

And if any of them pushed back, id have the fbi tie them to a train track and run them over with a drone train

Keep Tesla away from building any real vehicles.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

evilpicard posted:

The maskless idiots have descended on my city to protest against vaccines. A few hundred trucks blocking intersections and holding down their horns 24h a day since Friday, thousands of people on the street, including carrying confederate and swastika flags, storming businesses to intimidate service workers, spitting on service workers, throwing rocks at paramedics, robbing food from homeless shelters, etc. etc.

Police state these people are "peaceful".
Police also state they can't enforce the law because that would be too dangerous and risk inciting violence,

The cops issued a statement that it's their job to give the protestors a safe space to "grieve" lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ha. Honestly the one thing that's gonna bite me in the rear end is I put on a show for the higher ups but then real-talk to the people at my level and below (in terms of corporate hierarchy of course, they're not "below" me in any other sense). So if one of them gets promoted above me then the jig is up!

Just sabotage them so that never happens, problem solved!