Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

got any sevens posted:

1. nobody sane works 80 hours a week

2. what min wage job actually gives someone more than 29 hours per week?

I remember when I worked as a valet lead at a big hotel, it was me and 3 other "leads" (+3/hr above minimum) working full time getting medical insurance. My boss said he got repeatedly asked my his GM to just have 7-8 supervisors working 3 shifts a week so they wouldn't have insurance costs for the property/ie us 4 fulltimers.

The fact the place was turned around under his watch to a massive successful money maker still making more then before didnt matter. He had to argue and fight every time to keep his regular staff.

So if anyone ever thinks a company will look out for and take care of its minimum wage workers you are out of your loving mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

you’re gonna have a whole bunch of middle managers who will no longer accept an excuse when they ask you to work at home

"We expect everyone to be a team player. Are you a team player?"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

red19fire posted:

I knew a guy in college whose parents were dairy farmers. They made at least $100k just from government subsidies alone every year, had migrant workers do everything, and you better believe he had strong opinions about welfare queens getting unearned free government money.

Farming in general as a practice in America only exists off the borderline free labor of migrant workers and making your 12 year old kid drive a tractor as part of his "chores"

When Obama was doing some better working conditions poo poo one of the things was laws regulating farm work and the Right lost their poo poo and all these farmers were bitching and moaning how child labor laws would make it so their children would skip out of doing their weekly(i.e 30-40 hours a week) chores.

I knew someone who was raised on a farm but according to her the farm her parents ran was the only self sustaining dairy/meat farm in the state and the vast majority of farmers were uneducated morons who basically trip over piles of govt handouts to keep their ramshackle failure of an operation going.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Spazzle posted:

Surely nothing could go wrong if we produced only the exact amount of food we need.

1927: boy howdy wheat sure is the golden ticket to the big bucks imma gonna pay off my mortgage in a few years all by my own hard work
1928: drat rat bankers and their price games I'll just grow 3x as much wheat since the price dropped, can't trust govt or banks
1929: can't go a year without those fat cats trying to rob an honest man I'll just plant 10x as much wheat and sell
1931: daddy president please help me feed my kids and save my farm I don't understand how this happened.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Please please let these disaster sticken people take their cases to the public and complain there aren't any govt regulations to protect them in this time of crisis.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

T-man posted:

wow, turns out being a scabbing, illegal hotel slumlord carries risk

what. a. crying. shame.

Airbnb "employee": life is fantastic boy how I love doing all this sowing

Same employee: this reaping isn't fair someone else needs to step in and do this for me

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Any conversation about dietary pH is meaningless because anything you could eat capable of shifting the pH buffers regions of the human body out of wack would almost certainly kill you pretty quick. The urine pH thing is a misunderstanding people use to explain kidney stones which are more a function of concentrations of minerals then anything else.

Stomach acid is also, you know, an "acid", so all that pH 10 Magic water you drink is immediately neutralized the moment it hits the stomach and any "acidic" foods you eat would be less acidic then stomach acid or you'd get chemical burns in your mouth and throat while eating it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

taqueso posted:

The cool part is those are quite small by contemporary standards

Almost shockingly low. It could be one of those where if they don't get a bonus they have to get their stock options paid out or something at set rate (likely 10x higher then current value)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bike tory posted:

cleaners $7.50/hour
TAs $12/hour
maintenance staff $10/hour
Chancellor $3,600/hour
IT techs $50/hour
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my TAs are having to work for free

Outsource IT, cleaners, and maintenance.

Freeze staff wages.

Profit!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ironically those people are some of the only ones who can afford $27.99 for $1 worth of shaped plastic since they didn't lose income.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

one morning they closed and evacuated my entire highschool because a handyman had left a toolbox on the front steps overnight and the administration lost their poo poo because columbine or something

Everyone remembers that time period when if a random list of names was found in the bathroom of a public school the building was locked down as the school and police told everyone a hit list was found and the guilty people needed to come clean immediately or all sports were cancelled for the year.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

https://twitter.com/StevenBeynon/status/1267863762863874053/photo/1

God Bless Our Troops :patriot:

Also good news, they fixed the headline and now it's all better:

https://twitter.com/justkelly_ok/status/1268243669858922499

ALL BETTER

"I'm just asking questions"

God knows these people want to fellate the cops its a surprise they aren't jerking off onto their brownstones as well.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bike tory posted:

loving hell, Activision blizzard has to be the biggest games developer/publisher around right? And they employ less than 10000 people?

The us economy is so hosed

There's a lot of weird incestuous backdoor deals with video game companies in general, like who is the dev, the publisher, the rights holder etc. so you get things like the big names, Bethesda, Activision, Bioware, farming out working to other studios and then loving them on residuals, bonuses, and such but when studio A ends up shuttering because of getting screwed over by Activision it doesn't count as "Activision loses employees"

The video game development cycle is also a hell world of terrible planning and budget goals, most projects are wildly expensive when they don't need to be (Tim Schafer and his $$$ spent on famous celebs for voice acting instead of making a good game) or mismanaged to the point where "crunch time" is seen as a feature of the business when it means work yourself to death for 3 months because the game must be finished on time and we wasted the last 9 because decision makers kept changing their minds.

Here's a relevant example

rope kid posted:

Interplay was entering The Dying Time and Black Isle had two (IIRC) games in production: Torn (RIP) and The Black Hound (RIP later). I was the lead designer on the latter.

Torn had a lot of difficulties but was still in pre-production/vertical slice (again IIRC, this was almost 20 years ago). But Interplay needed money ASAP, so they canceled Torn and suspended The Black Hound in order to work on IWD2. Feargus, Parker, and Darren Monahan took me and Steve Bokkes into (again IIRC) Parker's office and Feargus said (though he remembers differently) hey we need to make IWD2. We need you and Steve to write the story and basic area overviews in the next two days and we need the game done in four months.

I was like cool, never going to happen. Steve and I worked on that story together, he left shortly after and I became the lead designer on IWD2. Unsurprisingly, four months became nine and eventually ten.

But anyway, just because it was a crash grab by Interplay doesn't mean that we didn't try our best to make it good and cool. It's just hard to do when you're under the gun like that. Then again, that sort of experience was the norm for me for the first 10 years I was in the industry.

pentyne has issued a correction as of 22:56 on Jun 4, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Maleh-Vor posted:

2. Go indie, spend 7-10 years making a game that's your passion project and you have to remake or revamp every couple years, work 100-hour weeks making it, lose your friends, social life, all your funding, move back in with your parents, then release your game, then spend the rest of your life trying to make something that good before vanishing off the face of the Earth in your late 30s.

There's a 2a to that which is make and release a successful indie game, become a major player in the indie community, and spend the next 10 years harassing and abusing the gently caress out of everyone willing to trust you to the point where women new to the indie dev scene get told flat out not to get caught alone in a room with you, and then once you are outed as a monster and kill yourself, a bunch of gamers rise up to declare that woman's false allegations are getting good men killed.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dr.Smasher posted:

That seems oddly specific. Did I miss something?

Zoe Quinn accused Alec Holowka of abuse, and a short time later he killed himself so she was clearly a whore slinging mud at a good person

Except tons of people came out and corroborated what she said, including longtime business associates who said they basically lived in terror of him for years because of his control over their financial future. The height of it were stories that tons of female game devs had saying they were all warned at some point or another to be careful around him in business and personal settings and it was one of those open secrets that working with him could be a boon to your career at the risk of him harassing and abusing you relentlessly.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

T-man posted:

the best superpower is and always has been batman's: rich white parents

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Len posted:

I brought this article up today and a friend of mine who is a staunch defender of capitalism and loves to say things like "dump all your savings into stonks" argued that the million dollars was actually the cost of treatment

Probably someone who never tried to pay without insurance.

"It'll cost you $400 for the 15 min visit"

"I don't have insurance can I pay cash?

"Okay it'll be $50 we'll set up a payment plan"

That million dollars includes a 15000% markup on the cost of any drugs used.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WDi4tAqPkM

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dreylad posted:

disney got 10k applications for 4 superfan/intern positions that are not paid

These include the people who live in bumfuck OK or the wilds of Nebraska who will do anything to work for/be around Disney because they fully expect to audition for a character role and get it since they were the star theater kid of their high school. I knew a girl who packed up everything she had at 18, moved down to Orlando and lived out of her car to work as a minimum wage cast member and applying for every single princess character role that came up for several years before moving back to her hometown with nothing to show for it.

My point is that even in this hellworld Disney is not the metric by which to measure job market expectations. It's a separate brand of bugfuck crazy like someone still constantly proudly referring to themselves as a former cast member 15-20 years later since they worked as a park janitor for 6 months in their late teens

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tunicate posted:

yeah but what if they don't do it

Walk into the common area to great them, starting coughing aggressively and then turn to shake their hands saying "drat cough won't go away and now I've got a fever. Anyways where do you want to look?"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Accretionist posted:

I'd never thought about that.

1 bottle = 5 drinks, so, 35 drinks/week.

Makes sense, yeah. Top decile's well over.

this is why liquor stores qualified as essential businesses.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
you don't have to stan for CDPR but you don't need to make up horror stories. Just say "crunch time is an industry cancer, nothing make its right other then full ownership by the labor" and leave it. 10% of profits is nice when compared to nothing but if you've been waterboarded for several weeks getting to stay in a luxury hotel for a while isn't going to make up for the horrible experience.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The 10% number is far, far less meaningful then the actual amount per employe each yeah.

10% just means of whatever value they denote as the "profit" and if anything that number could be reported as 0 or less then 0 despite actual reality via Hollywood accounting.

If every crunch time employee was getting 1/2 their annual salary as a bonus that is good, also assuming their annual salary is a fair wage.

Cdpr doesn't have to say any of that poo poo because all the competition in that space is universally "crunch time or you're fired this is the way it works bitch" and regularly inflicts PTSD on employees and threatens them with ndas.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

what it’s not a goon invention them being really creepy to her did happen.

why are all these weirdos jumping out of the woodwork to defend game companies honor

I've been watching a lot of Downton Abbey and a recurring theme is the servants getting super upset and emotional over the "honor of the house" being slighted.

Kind of the same thing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

Yeah, let me prove the non-existence of something. Great point you made there, genius.

https://bleedingcool.com/games/quantic-dream-david-cage-ticking-time-bomb/

quote:

And if you look beyond that one instance, you'll find many other questionable moments in both Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls.

In Heavy Rain there is a sequence in which the game's heroine Madison is forced to strip at gunpoint.
Just before the "stripping at gunpoint" sequence, the camera gives us a couple of clear up-skirt shots of Madison before focusing prominently on her butt.
Madison is almost raped by an anonymous man in a mask in a dream sequence called "Sleepless Night." This scene does not exist to advance the plot of the game in any way.
Just before the dream sequence in which Madison is almost raped, we get a lengthy sequence of her in the shower with the game's "camera" paying particularly close attention to her breasts and butt.
Madison is almost raped by an electric drill during the red-herring scene with The Doc.
Depending on player's actions in Two Souls it is heavily implied that the teenage protagonist Jodie is assaulted and gang-raped by a group of boys at a bar. In full view of the casually retreating bartender.
The Native American grandmother plays an incredibly racist "wise woman" role in Beyond: Two Souls.
There are two shower scenes with Jodie, though much less sexualized as the camera focuses mostly on her face and shoulders. Without using dev controls, you cannot force the camera to view Jodie's naked body.

In the end, it is obvious that Madison exists in Heavy Rain just to be Ethan's "happy ending." She experiences sexualized violence at almost every turn, with pretty much every male she has an interaction with wanting to violate her in some way, shape, or form. And then we get to Ethan, and we get to control every single aspect of his sex scene with Madison.

We sit back as Kara and are instructed not to get involved when Todd goes after his young daughter in a rage. Alice screams, and then we witness Todd lowering her lax body onto a bed and charging at Kara screaming "this is all your fault." And the reason we see this is so that Quantic Dream can highlight the fact that in Detroit, we as the androids can control what happens. We can stop Todd from going after Alice.

And the entire purpose of the trailer is to show you the way the decision tree works in the game. This could have been shown in any other way. A lot of games include complicated decision trees, and none have used the abuse and murder of a little girl as the way to do it.

You can dive into the article for tons of context and links to other articles savaging Cage and Quantic Dreams.

Not really sure how "proving non-existence" was the thing you took away from being criticized for your blatant cheerleading of a supremely disturbing and creepy man.

pentyne has issued a correction as of 22:14 on Oct 5, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

I'm not going to read some weird game crit article that has nothing to do with the question asked.

So you literally refuse to accept major criticism of the person you are so ardently defending?

Make it clear you think "good faith" is a joke so you can save everyone else a lot of time from ever engaging with you.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

im gonna be honest with ya shame boy, i think its way worse that he made a nude model of ellen page against her consent then that hes into pee. in fact i think its so much worse that i dont really give a drat hes into pee at all, really

I'm reminded of how some model/actress did a photoshoot, and was convinced to do some nudes with very specific contractual limitations on what the nudes could be used for (no distribution/publishing). When the photographer turned around and published the nudes anyways she tried to sue and her lawyers said her only practical options were to just try and get what profits she could from the illegal sale.

Fame Douglas posted:

That was just a stock model they bought from a third-party company, they didn't model nude Elen Page "against her consent"

This is another misunderstanding of game development goons perpetuate.

For a game using extensive mo-cap and trying to realistically capture Ellen Page's looks the best they could, they then decided "hey for this shower scene where it 100% looks like Ellen Page but you can't see her nude we need to make sure the body is accurately modeled as a nude body"

It's enough of a mess legally that she might've been able to sue, and it was absolutely gross as gently caress they even created that possibility in the first place.

Eventually when deepfakes start leading to lawsuits they're going to point back to Beyond Two Souls as the precursor to the issue and what damage it can cause.

pentyne has issued a correction as of 22:36 on Oct 5, 2020

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

No they just photoshopped her face onto a naked body, nothing wrong with that, who cares.

Its 100% picking up extremely minor details and arguing it wasn't technically her is just explicitly endorsing lovely treatment of women in the gaming industry.

The entire game premise and marketing was built up around the main character being Ellen Page just in a video game, mo cap for realism, true character expressions and some poo poo. A available nude scene with that same character regardless of whether or not that actually filmed naked Ellen Page with mo cap to simulate a shower or used actual nude photos of her to model it isn't the point.

It was presented as 100% her for the game so by default everyone would assume it was a nude scene with her. The specific mesh applied to the body, again not necessarily in the slightest for anything in the game, doesn't change the fact it's supposed to be Ellen Page.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

No the Hollywood scam specifically is giving you points on the profit rather than the revenue, then using accounting tricks such as claiming the entire production costs of a movie whose trailer is shown previous to the actual loving movie in question as expenses on the actual movie, thus reducing accounting profits to 0 and leaving you with jack poo poo. The way around it is to take points on the gross revenue, which is what Keanu Reeves did with The Matrix and became the best paid actor off of.

Every year the guy who wrote the screen play for Men In Black gets a letter stating that due to the movie not making a profit he doesn't get any residuals from his work.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BonHair posted:

Actually, it's about ethics in video game development.

I miss my recently fired boss who bragged about how his old unit was simultaneously constantly taking the piss, working less than everyone else and way ahead on productivity. Turns out well-motivated workers are more productive.

He was fired because his superiors had hosed up royally and needed to show that they were taking action in a serious way. He had been in the job for half a year and had pointed out the fuckup several times...

Every story from the trenches about game dev sounds like someone somewhere at or above the director level makes a timeline promise to boards/investors/upper levels like "sure, 24 months sounds completely fine" and when they kick it down to the actual hand on workers the response is "loving what?"

Icewind Dale 2 was started by the CEOs calling in a lead dev into their office, chatting about it and going "so, 4 months to make this?" followed up by the dev telling them they were loving insane and 10 months later IWD2 had been rushed out to market.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zamujasa posted:

And it's always the fault of the workers, too. Never the idiot manager who ruined everything; the workers were just too overpaid / underproductive / not completely subservient and that's clearly why things failed, not because they hosed with something that was working fine and ruined it.

(Only to move on to the next and do the same thing there.)

management cannot fail, it can only be failed.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

George H.W. oval office posted:

This got me thinking. Why did that particular story stick around as "true" while every other dumb poo poo that we say on these forums is usually brushed off as fun fake bullshit?

They started with the jokes and then Morally Inept tried to "own" it by bringing it up all the time on his own until eventually the entire forums knew him as the "ironic" dogfucker and they finally decided to ban him.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

It most places children learning skills is called "school" and they aren't beaten half to death if their quota drops.

That seems like something I'd expect from The Economist with some stats and figures about how it helps families move out of poverty (i.e they will live and die by the whims of factory bosses)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

Is "Get the vaccine and come back in the office or you're fired" enough money?

can't wait for the inevitable class action lawsuits for vaccine injury that end up getting dismissed under special circumstances or something.

Also, there's going to be a loving army of anti-vaxxers ready to claim anything and everything was caused by the covid vaccine and just drown social media in their rage and fury.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
what's missing from the whole argument is that commercial available mayo is loving garbage for the most part.

You can make mayo in 30 seconds with an immersion blender with 1 cup of oil, 1 egg, and whatever else you mix in for flavor that will actually have taste.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Theres a YT channel called Italia Squisita that got some viral fame for Italians chefs making GBS threads on the most popular popular Italian food videos.

It's definitely played up for faux outrage effect but has some very in depth explanations about the mistakes and why its "bad" and the channel has videos with the same chefs then cooking the recipe they critisized their way.

Big thing in all the videos is complaining about too much garlic and portion sizes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

My personal rule is that if the country sided with/was the nazis during WWII you get a free pass to clown on them forever.

Ireland will never live that down.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

My english friend who was in fact Roma (he is now dead) reported pretty much the same thing so idk dude.

To me he looked like a very slightly tan normal-rear end white dude, but apparently a hell of a lot of brits could just sniff him out immediately and would laser-focus on his ethnicity. Only time I ever saw him cry was after that happened once, poo poo really sucked.

Like I'm not gonna say y'all are at the level of America in terms of garbage racists but like, boy y'all got some weird-rear end problems with the Roma.

For most European people it's easy as hell to just get into the mentality of the roaming Traveler/Roma as some itinerant thieves if you've grown up and literally 100% of the cultural portrayal of them has been exactly that in addition to most local/family stories of them the kinds of things you'd expect to here from some KKK members in the 1900s about all black people.

For the UK at least the Travelers are only ever in the news when its something like "why the gently caress won't these people just settle down and live like we do" and any criminal incident with Travelers is always prefaced with "Of course it was started by some Travelers"

It's literally the joke, using the 4 color politcal meme Europeans go from hard libleft to mocking and condemning US racism to authright the second the roma are mentioned.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

euro racism is much more diverse than yankee racism, because europe is much more culturally and politically diverse than yankeestan

like, my country has serious issues with bias in policing and in people with forrin names having trouble getting job interviews etc - and we have a big migrant worker caste who live in a bizarre parallel society like everywhere else in the west - but the cops only very rarely murder people in the streets for having the wrong skin colour, and i've never heard of anyone being refused service for being arab or w/e so it's impossible to say if its good or bad

Reginald D Hunter has a lot of bits/interviews/panel shows where he talks about euro vs US racism and he's got a lot of deep cuts about how lots of Europeans think they have these enlightened views about racism but are just as bad or worse then anything they mock the US for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

the point is that, while this is probably an interesting topic for serious research, it really sucks as a topic for discussion on the something awful forums because it's legitimately difficult and ambiguous, and because even going about talking about which imperial society is more or less racist in this format is necessarily going to involve a lot of unacceptable reduction

i've been here before, it always devolves into chauvinist bickering

if you really think discussing racism in 1st world countries is this sisyphean task maybe you should log off and find something more your speed, like yelling at the TV.