Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I want to know why Lydia is so much more anxious in Breaking Bad.

She trusted Gus to keep her safe and Gus died horrifically; she has no idea who did it. She's in in serious legal and extralegal peril

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Did Erin Brill ever tell Cliff Main "hey, the rear end in a top hat you hate got disbarred for committing felony fraud against his brother whom we all love, and now he's asking me to star in a bizarre skit-presentation about how he defrauded our clients in order to derail our case"?

Seems unrealistic that Cliff wouldn't hear about this stuff, but if he heard about it, he'd probably take it to the ethics board and keep Jimmy from getting reinstated, right?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Kuiperdolin posted:

Dorian Gray Matter :tinfoil:

Incredible

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
I want a scene where Eladio learns Bolsa was stabbed and held at gunpoint by a ziptied prisoner.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
I also want a scene where the cousins fly down to Peru and kill Alvarez's whole family.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
At this point, Saul doesn't even know Nacho left Albuquerque, right?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
I guess if the cops/DA's office are going to keep going after Lalo, they're going to try to bring in Nacho, which might get Saul to look into whatever happened with that guy. I doubt Mike is going to explain it just to fill Saul in.

I wonder if the cartel is going to hide Nacho's corpse or make a grisly "this is what happens if you gently caress with us" show of it.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
It's nice that Nacho died thinking he'd helped kill Lalo.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

roomtone posted:

kinda hate nacho's dad. i forget about the whole nacho was a drug dealer thing, but still. typical distant prick dad.

What more was there to say?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

Sorta feels like with Nacho gone, Lalo gone, Hector absolutely not around then the discipline/structure they had that we saw in many episodes where folks were coming into the restaurant and kicking their takings up the line, will have completely fallen apart. When BB starts things are clearly still pretty chaotic with Tuco in charge while there's other unaffiliated types making and selling their stuff with impunity as well and it stays that way until things reignite between the cartel and Gus. I dunno who would be around to be like "oh we were using this guy's dads garage to launder money (was that what Hector had them do? It's been so long).

100% agreed, I'll just add that they were smuggling drugs through the upholstery shop, not laundering money. That's why it's important that Nacho's dad gets his supplies from Jalisco.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

BabyRyoga posted:

Real prediction: The conclusion to Lalo's story doesn't end during present day in the show; he will somehow fake his death a second time (and remain dead as thought to avoid heat from the local authorities who have been investigating and or building a case against the Salamanca family and believe him to already be dead) to fool Gus, and we will see post-BB Gene have to confront him in some way in the very end, perhaps in a somewhat analogous way to how Walter White conducted his final battle. Gus was convinced he was dead during the BB time line, confronting Hector with "the end" of his family's line, however it seems like Jimmy believes otherwise.

:toxx: against Lalo faking his death a second time. It would make Gus and Mike look ridiculous (falling for the faked death of a man who already faked his death before) and it makes Lalo look like an rear end in a top hat (standing by while his whole family is systemically murdered by his sworn enemy over several months).

If Saul had a good reason to believe Lalo's still alive, he'd obviously share it with Mike, who would pass it up to Gus if it was a real cause for concern.

And I think it deepens Saul's character that his mad declarations of allegiance to the cartel are basically a trauma reaction rather than a rational anxiety around a dangerous former client. That's how Odenkirk understands the character:

"For [Saul] Lalo is like a specter out there. He'll never believe Lalo's dead, even if he goes to the funeral. Lalo is like this creature that's just going to always be hovering in the background, a shadow of fear."

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 28, 2022

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
I just can't imagine a scenario where Tuco is killed in Albuquerque, and then the cousins are killed in Albuquerque, and then the entire cartel leadership except Gus is killed when Gus goes to visit, and Lalo doesn't head to Albuquerque to gently caress with the chicken man.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

skipmyseashells posted:

something has to change for Gus to think fear is a bad motivator cause so far it seems to be the best thing for him without a close second

He didn't really decide fear is a bad motivator.

A few episodes before giving that line, he murders Victor in front of Jesse and Walt in order to terrify them (just like he kills Arturo right in front of Nacho).

A few episodes afterward, he gives Walt the "I will kill your wife, I will kill your son, I will kill your infant daughter" speech (just like he has Victor visit Nacho's dad).

christmas boots posted:

I think it may just be that Gus told Walt he doesn't believe it's a good motivator because he didn't think it was (for Walt) and decided that's what Walt needed him to say. He does try it later

He doesn't say it to Walt, he says it to Mike.

[quote]
Mike:
If you want this guy to produce again, why not just tell him? You're the only thing that stands between him and an axe to the head.

Gus:
I do not believe fear to be an effective motivator. I want investment. For now, I'm simply interested in time frame. He will live for the foreseeable future, yes?
[\quote]

But I think you're right that we have to understand Gus's refusal to scare Walt into production as totally grounded in the specific case of how Gus thinks Walt might react to learning the cousins are after him. Maybe Walt calls the cops, or tries to flee with his family, or collaborates with Gus until the cousins are no longer a threat and then turns on Gus. Gus doesn't want to risk any of those scenarios so he thinks appealing to Walt's greed and insecurity is a safer bet.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 28, 2022

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Is there any reason to think that was Gus' actual intention? That's Walt's interpretation of events, which rarely lines up with the truth.

It's also Jesse's interpretation, who turns out to have a pretty good handle on how Gus thinks.

Killing Victor was a matter of security because he was now a murder suspect. Killing Victor in front of Walt and Jesse like that was fear-as-motivator.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Now Jimmy knows how Irene felt.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

She wears blue when she’s meeting with her clients, but a very subtle detail is she says “bring as many family members as possible”… for someone wearing all red. That client did it, but Kim is still providing them legal council.

That's not shady or unethical at all. Even people who did it still deserve legal council (whether they intend to fight the charge or plea down). It's not like Jimmy helping Lalo defraud the court.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Did anyone else think Howard's therapist looked a lot like Chuck?

I think Howard's "you'd make a great litigator" line is partially an attempt to fend off his therapist's probe into his life with Cheryl, but also an expression of his projecting Chuck onto his therapist.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

pixaal posted:

I think the other way is more likely and would go down like:
Lalo sees Jimmy in his Howard get up, thinks he's gone into hiding with a new look. Mistakes Howard for Jimmy. Lalo, for involving a random civilian is taken out like a rabid dog.

What? Nobody with the power to have Lalo killed cares about innocent people getting hurt.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Chamale posted:

I think in this case, Walter has a point. The "knowing his place" Mike talks about would have involved letting Jesse get killed by those dealers who had just murdered a child. Gus really miscalculated by taking the side of those dealers when it was clear that Jesse did not want them to put a kid's life at risk. On the whole Walt's actions are indefensible, but in the case that led to him killing Gus, he seems to have handled it in the best way he could.

I've been thinking about it lately and I think Gus's first big blunder was letting Walt fire Gale, at which point he was now relying on two men who were violently dysfunctional. Gale was reliable and could cook meth that, for Gus's purposes, were just as good. His second blunder was giving Jesse a second chance after Jesse tried to kill two of Gus's men, and his third blunder was letting Walt live after he really did kill two of Gus's men.

And I think all this basically only happens because Gus is suckered in by the ridiculous 96%-vs-99%-pure-meth posturing. Basically, Gus should've had Mike shoot Walt and Jesse to death the day he learned about them, which is what he would've done if their meth was, like, 94% pure and regular-colored.

Gus obviously understands that Walt is an unstable narcissist and Jesse is a "contemptible junkie," because that's how he manipulates Walt them both. But he still gives them authority and impunity in his organization because he really wants that magic best meth ever dammit.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 9, 2022

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

iamsosmrt posted:

Had Skylar shown Walt their slightly smaller pile of cash earlier and if he cleaned up his bathroom literature soon after, there's a fair chance no one else would have died because of them.

There still would've been three problems that would've eventually led to bloodshed:

-Jesse losing his composure and drawing attention to the operation
-Lydia wanting better meth than Declan or Todd can produce
-Mike's guys getting their pay confiscated and talking with the DEA

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 14, 2022

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Kuiperdolin posted:

It's already explained in Breaking Bad. We see him remove the tracker and stash it before a run.

He should've put the tracker on another car and had someone drive around to various Pollos restaurants, restaurant supply stores, maybe a trip to the theater or a museum etc. It made Hank suspicious that the tracker only showed trips between his house and one store.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

lurker2006 posted:

I think it's kind of interesting that Jimmy and Kim were granted such a ridiculous coincidence as to run into their judge to tip them off to his cast. One of the pieces of writing wisdom you'll hear Vince repeat a lot is that a coincidence should ultimately never help the protagonist, it should only be unlucky. To be honest without knowing anything else it seems a bit sloppy for Jimmy to just run into the guy at a random place in the ABQ, maybe if he was scoping out the guy's stomping grounds or something.

Great point, but maybe we shouldn't think of saving the scheme as "ultimately" helping the protagonists. The scheme is obviously going to ruin Kim's life and her relationship with Jimmy, maybe it would be better for them both if it fell flat with the bogus castless photos.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

danny from laser tag, maybe. probably the Vamos pest guys too, though I could also easily see one of them being a client.

Danny from Laser Tag is definitely, without a doubt, Daniel "Pryce" Wormald

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
If Walt and Skyler had just bought the laser tag like Saul insisted, Skyler would've been much less liable when the whole thing blew up. Walt would have ended up killing Pryce by secretly converting one of the laser guns into an actual gun and getting Pryce to shoot himself in the head with it

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

0 rows returned posted:

maybe i missed something but i dont really see why the judge having a broken arm messes with their plan because i can only picture howard flipping out and trying to prove the judge is faking his broken arm by physically grabbing his arm and looking like a nutcase

or at least it makes me laugh thinking that would be how it would go down

They took fake photos of the judge taking a bribe from Jimmy, and the fake judge's arm isn't broken in those photos.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
It's kind of remarkable that they waited this long to make Jimmy unsympathetic. By this point in Breaking Bad, Walt was a monster.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

true. walt has a contentious relationship with everyone. a real piece of work
He seems to have a great relationship with his son until hell breaks loose. That might've been the one decent relationship in his life, pre-Heisenberg.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

anime was right posted:

my dumb guess is kim will vanish if only because it will make the whole "jimmy getting into trouble with walt" -> "jimmy lives in omaha" thing easier as a standalone story. kim gets a full arc to her vanishing, then we get couple fast forward episodes of the aftermath of saul/walt where at the end we see his side of the story and he calls the cleaner. after that, we have jimmy cleaning up his own personal arc rather than the breaking bad mess.

100% odds we get a really fun montage of sauls life after kim vanishes.

I agree. If Kim is around during Breaking Bad then you basically have to go over the events of Breaking Bad from her perspective, which means you have to explain a lot that would be redundant for fans who've already seen Breaking Bad.

If Kim skips town ahead of time, the Breaking Bad story can be reduced to "Saul and Mike's criminal dealings were always going to catch up with them eventually, and in 2008 that's what happened, now Mike is dead and Saul is in criminal witness protection."

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Kim puts the Lily of the Valley in Brock's juicebox.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Harriet Carker posted:

I just caught up. I understand Lalo found the ruler in Werner's house that has some manufacturing company address on it - how did this lead him to Casper? I feel like I missed something in-between.

Presumably Lalo went to the company that encased the ruler and charmed/menaced them into revealing who paid for it. He got Casper's name and went from there

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

iamsosmrt posted:

I hope they bring Hank into the mix completely unrelated to Walt. Just Saul representing some street level dealers brought in by Hank and Bromez.

This exactly happened in season 5.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Nobody will want to admit it, but if Bob Odenkirk had died on-screen in that final scene, it would've been the best series finale of all time.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
You know, Howard said he was going to devote his life to exposing the truth, and he really did use about half of his remaining life to tell Lalo that Jimmy and Kim are bad lawyers.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

eke out posted:

personally im gonna be one of those "walter white did nothing wrong" people but for kim

Lalo did everything he did for his family.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
I think the biggest irony is that Jimmy doesn't even have anything useful to tell Lalo. He could tell Lalo everything that Jimmy's experienced the whole series and Lalo would learn a little bit about Michael and jack poo poo about Gus.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

eke out posted:

Doubt it's what Jimmy knows so much as what he can do for Lalo

I think the most Jimmy can do for Lalo is place a call to Mike that Mike may or may not answer. Lalo has probably overestimated Jimmy's importance in Gus's operation.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

Great episode. Poor Howard, absolutely a tragic character. A small part of me expected that Lalo would get involved in his death but I honestly thought the writing was leaning more towards 'bad reaction to the dose'. Now I'm wondering what Lalo wants to talk about - probably the truth about Jimmy's trip to the desert, but why? Actually I don't fully recall why he was so interested in that to begin with. Obviously it has something to do with who ambushed Jimmy, or who ended up saving him.

I think if Lalo knew the truth about what happened in the desert, it wouldn't be a huge deal to him. "Oh, Bolsa tried to keep me in jail because he doesn't want me loving with Gus - Bolsa's an rear end in a top hat, I knew that already. Gus tried to get me free because he wanted me to gently caress off back to Mexico - Gus is a crafty son of a bitch, I knew that already."

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

galenanorth posted:

I remember at one point he was about to assassinate cartel members as revenge for their killing an innocent trucker and one of Gus's guys stopped him, but not what happened after that

Mike started getting tracked sometime during his feud with Hector. He realized he was getting tracked and traced it back to Gus. He and Gus worked together to sabotage Hector's business (Gus's doctor provided cocaine, and Mike planted it on Hector's truck). Mike asks Gus to help launder the money he stole from Hector, and now they're in business together so Gus hires Mike to oversee the superlab excavation. Mike ends up killing Werner and steps away from the game for a while, but Gus saves Mike after he gets himself stabbed, and from there on Mike is Gus's guy.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 26, 2022

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
There's a reason book clubs meet according to a set schedule of X chapters per session instead of "let's all read it at our own pace."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Nuebot posted:

if every series was released in one drop, it's not hard at all to carve out your own weekly niche for like-minded individuals.

The problem here would be:

Nuebot posted:

people ... have literally no option but to sit there and hope google doesn't decided to promote every news article about that show I was looking forward to watching later

There is no way to release episodes such that you can watch them all at once or you can watch them over several weeks and either way you won't get spoiled. Either the people who watch them all at once are going to get spoiled while they wait for all the episodes to come out, or the people who watch them week by week are going to get spoiled because they're watching episode 10 ten weeks after all the episodes were released in bulk.

It's unfortunate that the way you prefer to watch TV isn't the way Better Call Saul does it. I don't know what more there is to be said, and if there is more to be said, I hope it's in another thread because it's boring, whiny, and unrelated to Better Call Saul.

On the subject of Better Call Saul, I think the TV show is putting Jimmy into more powerful a position than he occupies in Breaking Bad. In Breaking Bad he's still representing public masturbators, in Better Call Saul he's already a millionaire with incredible connections.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 26, 2022