Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there be a poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 125 49.02%
No 130 50.98%
Total: 255 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Expect My Mom posted:

someone really needs to stop me from preordering dragon quest 11...........big fan of that slime.....

Do it. Pull the trigger!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've been waiting for a new console Dragon Quest for ages...as a professional rpg liker I can tell it's gonna be incredible.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm going to download the real OST day 1 on the PC release, that's true power.

As much as I want the PC version for that + better load times, I'm probably gonna settle for PS4 because I can just put it to sleep if I'm in the middle of a dungeon and I gotta stop playing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

klapman posted:

Is there anywhere I can find the Lupin the Third movies all in one place? Been looking around online but haven't found much. Gotta imagine I'm looking in the wrong places if I can't find Lupin

Crackle has Legend of the Gold of Babylon because it's the only streaming service strong enough to contain its power.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Everything Burrito posted:

i'm sort of getting uncomfortable with the horny levels of the peach bowser stuff and how i literally cannot look anywhere without seeing it

There have been several places I frequent that used to be real good about separating nws stuff but that all went out the window with this meme and I hate it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

littleorv posted:

I have feared for my job today

Yea.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My last bastion of defense against unprompted horny bowser art is gonna be LA comedy podcast twitter, if it falls then all is lost.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Expect My Mom posted:

yeah i've honestly never touched the games past AJ because they looked like too much of a return to a form except apollo is chuuni now

maybe i should play them and not just replay the first four but i've heard such mixed things

I love the original trilogy of games a lot but I wound up losing interest near the end of the first 3DS one. It felt like it was spreading itself too thin, to the point where I wish they could have just picked a single character to play as and stick with it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

K. Flaps posted:

If you like to read don't read LNs.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Expect My Mom posted:

haikyuus been around for seven years today

thank you haikyuu

I'm assuming it's gonna be around for seven more years so I'm looking forward to when I finally start seriously watching the anime in 2026.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I enjoy the exact kind of shonen-y sports anime Haikyuu is way more when I can binge as I please so I don't see this as a loss at all.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Expect My Mom posted:

choosing to have haikyuu in your life for LESS time? unthinkable

There are so many sports shows out there playing to a similar format that, heck, it could definitely take me until 2026 to watch them all.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've only seen a portion of Yawara but it really speaks to Urasawa's talents that even in his early years when he was working on something much more conventional he was still able to go above and beyond. It has aged quite well.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

RME posted:

its been a long while since i read it so I dont remember everything but I enjoyed Happy! when i read through it, which was kind of another go at sports manga Urasawa started right after yawara. Have you read it? It only got complete scans somewhat recently

I think I only ever read a few chapters many years ago so I don't remember much. I'll have to take another look now that I know it's fully translated!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Finally, I reached the part I've been waiting for

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Was your name really that good? Everything I heard about it made it sound pretty much like every other Shinkai movie ever made.

I remember seeing bits of Voices of a Distant Star on the Anime Network waaaay back when and being confused and underwhelmed.

He might be hammering on the same themes as always but he has really honed his craft in the years since Voices. At the very least it's worth a look.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Admittedly I do think most non-franchise anime movies are worth taking a look at if only because it's real easy to watch all of them from a given year.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It'd be a million times better if you could crack open all of them at once and immediately dispose what you don't need...once I had a lot of cores I found the process to be a pain and I had awful luck to boot because I rarely got a good rare blade that fit what a character was adept at. Made me insanely soured on the gacha stuff since it was a lot of time spent managing it for little gain.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

80s anime and current anime were and are both good

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

At some point I want to catch up to One Piece but for awhile now I've been content with just hitting up the newer movies whenever they come out. They've gotten fairly good at condensing the feel of a proper story arc while only feeling slightly rushed, especially the most recent one.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I only have a few 2018 anime movies left that I'm interested in watching...someone will some good subs for Penguin Highway into existence tyia

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Allarion posted:

It's time for srice to die

A Banana? At This Time of Night?

Now that's scary. Maybe too scary.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

After taking about a decade or so to do it, I have finished watching all of the Lupin tv movies

I don't think it was worth it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

So when are you getting started on the Conan movies

I watched the first one last year and it was a pretty decent experience so I can definitely see myself watching a few more of them this year.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heck, I'll check that one out when it's available 'cause I feel like bouncing around instead of going chronologically would be better for keeping the Conan movie experience fresh.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

As a midwest boy I can't stand for all of this shade being thrown by Araki.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Phantasium posted:

yeah the midwest isn't used to a lot of shade

gently caress

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It has been nearly 2 months since Penguin Highway came out on blu-ray and there still aren't any subs that aren't gibberish. At this rate my preorder for the book might arrive before subs do.

I'm gonna systemically destroy all fansubbers until I get what I want.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Since the movies I've been wanting to watch are still unsubbed I guess my movie plan this weekend is to figure out if it's even possible for me to squeeze in the free time to rewatch both of the Galaxy Express 999 movies.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Captain Cappy posted:

I'm tired of sakuga.

Same

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My own personal disillusionment comes from seeing a huge focus on the technical side of things and rarely if ever a focus on anything analytical. Which I get isn't the main goal by any means but it does frustrate me all the same.

Although heck I've been disillusioned with the sakuga side of fandom for a long time, ever since The Woman Called Fujiko Mine got a crazy amount of flak from the sakuga crowd while it was airing. Its brilliant direction rarely considered because the animation wasn't as fluid as older Lupin entries.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i mean. what do you mean a focus on the analytical, because the sakugablog people put a ton of focus into explaining the creative intent behind how scenes are put together

i'm not sure if what you're disillusioned with is the people who actually do articles and stuff about this or just random people who are obsessed with how "smooth" animation looks because i don't feel like any of this applies to the people who actually run any of the sites about this

hell they've stuck up for interesting directing choices in animation that some people might consider stiff or limited before

Specifically stuff that digs a 'lil deeper into, say, the direction of a scene, how the choices for it work/don't work, etc, that sorta thing. I feel like stuff like what someone's creative intent was falls more under technical than analytical. But heck I'll readily admit that what I'd prefer is pretty far from the actual scope of what they wanna do, though!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Valhalla is a thing I wish I liked because it should be extremely up my alley, but I don't and I hate it and I hate that fact I guess.

anime

Heck, same. I reay enjoyed its aesthetic but dang I wish I could say the same about its writing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've been watching Queen Millennia since after like a decade of it slowly being fansubbed they finished it last year. But I'm sad of it since so far unlike most Matsumoto anime from that era it feels quite dated in a way that's really weighing it down.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Everything Burrito posted:

turning girls is the only trigger show i've liked and finished

Same

And I remember reading that the folks responsible for it no longer work there so :rip:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Beato Believer posted:

Ooh, I haven't seen some of those yet. Gonna be a great week!

:staredog:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I was hoping that there would have been a movie fansub that's not terrible by the time this bad boy arrived, but, ah well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hungry posted:

Does nobody sub OP and ED songs on recent shows anymore, or am I just getting unlucky lately?

For the home video release yeah but for simulcasts they gotta get approval first because the translation would be considered the official translation of the lyrics, and approving that sure is low on the list of priorities on the music side of the business.