Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Lol, here comes more of that "That can't be right, there must be something wrong with the models" weather for the PNW

https://twitter.com/The_Weatherman2/status/1473413836606611456?t=yc3hx3sq9DGRMjbmu24fNQ&s=19

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I just ordered a kerosene heater that should show up right after Christmas. I've done power outage in the snow before, I'm not gonna mess with that poo poo in "coldest I've ever experienced" weather.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Looking forward to all the videos of people in Seattle and Portland trying to drive on icy hills

I'd like some snow, but not too much. Last year?? Or the year before? Whenever it snowed a bunch last, I had to run out and shovel a bunch off the roof when I noticed the bedroom door suddenly stopped being able to fully close

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Lol, the low for Sunday/Monday keeps creeping down a degree every few hours

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

The high was 27F today, it's currently 16 and dropping.

I called out from work to play in the snow with my dog. He's a old man and this might be the last chance he gets.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Bob Socko posted:

:3:

My dog had zoomies in the snow drifts today and loved it.

The hummingbirds kept visiting the frozen feeder, so I kept emptying it and refilling it with hot sugar water. A few visited in between freezes, so I guess I did my good deed for the day?

We have a bunch of the feeders from Dollar Tree and keep an extra set in the house and swap them out when they freeze. They're also actually nice because the base comes completely apart for cleaning.

SirPablo posted:

Turns out this won't be right. The folly of posting single run extended weather model maps.

Seattle did have a low this morning of 23F (one above the record low for this date) and got 3.4" of snow (not a record for this date, which is 8.8").

The record December low where I'm at is 8F. It's currently 14 and falling so we'll see

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Dog Case posted:

The record December low where I'm at is 8F. It's currently 14 and falling so we'll see

Minimum from some time last night. Right now it's 9

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

The real danger of the cold weather is having to drive in traffic. Passed a ton of people on the way to work just riding the rear end of people that were actually driving safely for the conditions. Like less than a cars length on plowed but not bare roads

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

hifi posted:

i live in arizona so this is just random trivia for me but you are supposed to walk like a penguin on ice to keep your center of gravity close to you... something with your center of gravity.

I too have that commercial from the Weather Channel permanently etched into my brain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p37ejaz_pg

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Spergin Morlock posted:

i like how the entire country is getting rain. except seattle

Seattle is working on setting another heat record right now

https://twitter.com/ScottSeattleWx/status/1553018722679304192

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

It hasn't been terribly hot where I am because I'm close to the water but it's pretty neat how every day it ends up being around 5-10 degrees warmer than the forecast high. Wunderground's site just blanks out the high once the actual temperature gets a few degrees higher

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

That's what they said when it did that before the pnw heatwave last year

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Laterite posted:

poor seattlites, thought of cascadian subduction and died

gently caress that, i moved here on purpose. Knowing that the earth could explode and melt our bodies from the lungs out or collapse and crush and grind us under an unimaginable weight of water and debris makes us powerful. It's like figuring out that what other people think of you doesn't affect you. You cannot kill us in a way that matters

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Gripweed posted:

Probably at least after they have reason to believe the water isn't actually going to recede. Although I imagine a lot of the people effected byt it would keep calling it a flood.

There are lots of places called lakes that don't have water in them until they do. Maybe Pakistan should have been called a lake all along

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

You can see rain on all the water in the background, it just looks concentrated on him because they're using lighting.

I don't think anybody is hooting and oh my god-ing at a fake spectacle, they're doing it at this guy out in the storm in skinny pants with his half buttoned shirt flapping around

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Gripweed posted:

I would like to request just enough flooding that I get a couple days off work, but not so much flooding that people lose their homes. Thank you.

"The flooding is mild, it's not even in anybody's homes. You should have no problem making it in today"

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Planet X posted:

Ill bet people are going to be pissed they evacuated Tampa, even though it was the right thing to do

I guess we'll see how much water ends up there when it's all done

Evacuations don't work! If you can smell a fart in an evacuation it's not going to protect you from a hurricane

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Seen some poo poo

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

SirPablo posted:

What's that? You went hiking in the desert mountains, got injured, and need an airlift rescue?

Hope you got the membership plan!

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Packing honey in my hiking first aid kit to make me more attractive to a bear because if I get hurt I might as well end it now than try to survive the American medical system in covid hell world

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

is there some kind of pocket tarp you can carry?

Packed right next to my bear-honey

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Our bandaids and itch cream saved us

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Hexigrammus posted:

The forecast is predicting a 60% chance of showers for Sunday, but it's done that before over the last 2 months. Is there an Edging variable in the models? If yes they need to quit playing with it.

Check again. We had that yesterday but it's gone now

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

das hipster posted:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/bc-drier-mojave-desert

You could say it's been a bit dry here. Love that the leaves this year are just going straight from green to brown and crispy.

It's the first time I can remember being able to rake leaves into a big crunchy pile like media tells me is a real thing instead of just being a brown wet slimy layer on the ground

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

A lot of the forests around here look like this now. Just stacks of fallen trees on trees

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

those were cut down

Those were cut where they fell across the trail

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Maybe don't name your city after the mythological creature known for burning to death

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/NWSSeattle/status/1580249716318617600

No more wildfire season, just fire

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Extended forecast looking more promising for rain not this weekend but next. I guess at this point I’ll believe it when it happens but I’m ready

Last weekend the extended forecast said we'd have rain this weekend

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

My neighbors all think anybody existing outside of their own yard is antifa come to take their guns and staple a mask to their face. Several of them have those expensive German shepherds bred and trained to protect your family. One of them is a cop that moved in and built a cop compound with goats and sheep and a shooting range and a flag pole with the snake flag.
Another one installed an 8 foot fence entirely around their house including a gate across the driveway that they have to get out and open every time they leave or come home

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Lmao

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

it’s funny how like 2/3 of this subforum lives in Washington

I went to get my ears blasted by the tsunami siren test and the nearby one didn't work

It's okay though I'm sure none of the people in these houses would be in any danger

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I could just barely hear one in the distance but like so faint I wouldn't have heard it if I didn't know to be listening for it

Infrastructure weak

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Water is just bad in general and you shouldn't go in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCSUmwP02T8

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

The warming climate and drier weather will dry out that moss and algae, making the rocks less slippery and the stream less dangerous

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

xiaoren posted:

Had tons of big ol' trees falling over in the storms this fall. The city's response was of course to remove them, and then cull some more. Looking forward to seeing how they fare the next storm!

This happened in my neighborhood over the 15 years I've been here. A big storm knocked down a bunch of trees, so everybody cleaned up and cut down other trees deemed sus. A few houses cut down all their trees. This directly exposed different trees to the wind and they blew down in the next big storm. Rinse, repeat, now there are a bunch of houses with dirt yards full of stumps

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

TehSaurus posted:

you say that but many of them were explicit that it’s because “The weather changes so often”

When I look at Texas I just see hot and brown, but I'm sure somebody that lives there can see variation in the hot and brown that they could consider "changes"

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Stereotype posted:

in hawaii tourists have just been driving straight into the ocean lmao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvPYM3w9c_Q

people in cars are insane

Does everybody really just wear leis everywhere in Hawaii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

It's fine, we've still got lots of opportunities for other kinds of disasters. I noticed they recently installed a bunch of huge "ENTERING/LEAVING TSUNAMI HAZARD ZONE" signs along the highway nearby