Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've unlocked everything in Risk of Rain and don't want to spend the $40 to buy Binding of Isaac. What are some other good roguelike/lites for the Switch? I've seen a couple others but I'm not sure if they're work getting or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ciaphas posted:

my god i should have asked google instead of people on the internet

2d sidescroller game where you pick a guy and murder your way through thousands of things while collecting random items that help you murder things faster before you fight the final boss and win. You unlock new things into the item pool for completing achievements

I was gonna pick up BoI because it's similar although a twinstick shooter but lol at $40

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You really should get Nuclear Throne. It's super fun and quick to play and offers a lot of depth for what seems seemingly little. Plus it's 12 bucks. You can't go wrong.

I don't normally like bullet-hell/twin stick shooters, and I can't get enough of the game it's really really fun.

I'm either missing something or this game is just ridiculously hard because I've made it past 2-1 maybe twice out of 30 attempts

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

TheMadMilkman posted:

Turn off the HUD. It will force you to pay attention to the game world.

I would argue do the opposite because the Gameworld if unnecessarily huge and while pretty it's barren as gently caress.

I only had fun once I started skipping every trash fight because weapon durability is a cancer and you'd enter combat with nice things and leave with ten wooden clubs

Rolo posted:

Don’t worry about weapon durability. Ever. You’ll be fine, the game throws weapons at you like ammo in a shooter.

It sure does throw wooden clubs at you constantly

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Wamdoodle posted:

That's when you throw the wooden club back :black101:

Also

But I went into combat with a flaming claymore!

Honestly though BotW was probably my least favorite Zelda game. I appreciate that it did something different but if it didn't have the Zelda name attached all the many many systems that were poo poo wouldn't have been forgiven

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Name recognition is a thing, or are you gonna pretend that isn’t real

This.

I tried cooking things once but man was it rad having to select my ingredients from a clunky menu, put them in a pot, wait for it to cook, and then repeat a second time to make a second thing.

The weapon durability is just garbage all over

Sure there's hundreds of shrines but how many unique ones?

Korok seeds

Rain

You get all your abilities in the first hour and that's it you're done which makes exploring the giant world less fun. Oh boy you climbed this giant mountain and now you get a flaming sword that's going to break the first time you run into a pack of trash.

Edit: the DLC added in better ways to travel because even Nintendo realized the game world sucked.

And this is just me but stripping all WiiU tablet support out of the game when Link literally has a WiiU tablet in his hand was the dumbest decision.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

bushisms.txt posted:

I think we played the games very differently :shrug:

I glided down them with the leaf. But neither of those make up for the 20 minutes it took to get up the mountain because it decided to rain on the way up

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

American McGay posted:

You can immediately tell if someone's opinion of BOTW sucks by how quickly they include rain in their list of complaints.

Even ignoring the rain complaint are you still trying to tell me that the cooking system is cool, good and well thought out?

That the lack of added tools to your kit after the first hour is wonderful?

Weapon durability where the neat flaming claymore you found getting replaced by spikes clubs or rusty metal is a good trade?

I mean christ, the goddamn mastersword, ultimate slayer of all evil, loving breaks

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yaws posted:

I love the Zelda series and while I haven't played BOTW yet this thread has me a bit hesitant to buy it.

Ultimately it was an enjoyable game that I ended up putting a ton of time into and finished. I have no interest in buying the DLC and will probably never play it again but it was an okay enough game.

Meanwhile I have multiple friends that fell in love with it and rate it as one of their favorite Zelda games.

Different strokes for different folks. It's just people get so goddamn defensive when you point out the thing has terrible systems and while the world is incredibly massive it's mostly copy/pasted shrines, korok seeds, and goblin camps that aren't worth the resource investment to clear.

I had the most fun when I just ran past anything resembling fighting to check out random bits. Once I climbed all the towers and could see the whole map the game became a lot less entertaining.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

romanowski posted:

gawrsh I wonder why people get defensive of a game they like when you accuse them of liking it for fraudulent reasons

Nah all you have to do is say "I didn't like BotW" and you can derail entire threads.

See: the dragging games down thread. People get so mad if you say it's not a great game and list why you feel that way

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

deadly_pudding posted:

The worst thing about HZD is that I keep instinctively trying to use motion controls with the bow. It is hilariously similar to BotW in a ton of structural ways.

Ew gross. Wiggle controls are a blight

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Butterfly Valley posted:

Good job gyro aiming is absolutely nothing like 'wiggle' controls then!

Does it involve motion? Then it's a wiggle control.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe you don't like gyro aiming because you're constantly shaking the controller all over the place and can't hit anything.

Nah I don't like gyro aiming because screens should be stationary not moving all over the place.

Sixaxis, dualshock 4, all gyro controls are just bad.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Neither of those have a screen on them

No but my 3ds and Switch do and I dislike it on both

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Andrast posted:

are your eyes incapable of following movement or something?

Nah just don't like playing that way. You guys are okay to enjoy it though because it's okay to have differing opinions.

It's still a blight though

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Takoluka posted:

Len, can you drive a car, or does the steering wheel really throw you off and you need a D-pad?

I live in Ohio and think I have two turns between my home and work? It's rough lemme tell ya

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Remember Len - Steal My Sunshine? That was a good song

Apparently Len came from Cubivore? I never played that game but I heard it was unique

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Speaking of lovely controllers. Why do my joycons randomly disconnect if I play the system docked? I'll be playing a game and all of a sudden one just stops to reset itself.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Caffeinated Jerkoff posted:

You're either very far away from the Switch, or there's interference from other devices/things in between the Switch and you. I had this issue intermittently when I had my Switch behind my TV

About 4 or 5 feet away?

It's beside the tv but looking at the list of what could gently caress with a Joycon it can be devices using WiFi (like everything on the tv stand), being too close to a router, aquariums, TV's, cell phones and tablets.

Len fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 6, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

SeANMcBAY posted:

The shrine gyro puzzles are pretty bad and hard to do if you’re in handheld mode but they’re fun docked.

The solutions to them is fun. But even docked they're still not great.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Gyro aiming is the best thing to happen to actually being able to aim in a console game ever, but I still think it would be even better to have a controller with a little trackball in it like they did with the Apple Pippin.

Also Dreamcast controllers have the cord coming the correct side.

Out the bottom with a little hook to make it so it looks like it's coming out the top?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

American McGay posted:

Browsing the eShop online and I'm just now realizing that there are over 100 ACA NEOGEO ports available for the Switch, every single one of which is $8. I can't help but think how much money Nintendo is leaving on the table by not having any sort of virtual console presence on this thing.

Lol at paying for Super Mario Bros 1 in 2019 but I would slam :20bux: down for Super Metroid again in a heartbeat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Nintendo really needs to make joycons stronger somehow to make them not drift. It’s really lovely to have to do this stuff.

But then they can't sell you a new $80 controller

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Spacebump posted:

Wow, I never realized the joy cons had issues outside of the left joycon issue from some of the launch versions. Good to know but that sucks.

Mine get interference from something in the apartment but seeing as the list of possibilities includes wifi enabled devices, phones, and tablets it could be an insane number of things.

Also aquariums

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

To be fair people are showing they're more than willing to spend full price for 5+ year old games just because it's on the Switch so why make it cheap?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Shammypants posted:

But you can try to make your own fun and it doesn't have mods and ... wait

A friend of mine was absolutely going to pull the trigger on Skyrim a 3rd or 4th time until I pointed out there were no mods. The $60 price tag wasn't enough to stop him it was the lack of mod support

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

PantsBandit posted:

Well it turns out people enjoy exploring a massive, beautiful fantasy world with an insane amount of things to do and see. Crazy, I know.

Also I know quite a few people who still say it's the best game ever because you can dual wield and fight dragons in a copy/pasted open world

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I rate every game as either meh or GOTY. There were a lot of GOTYs in 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dandy Dungeon like the free 2 play mobile game? Is this like how the Switch has Mom Hid My Game only I stead of it being a free game that only takes ten minutes to finish it's $6?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't understand why people want to buy the same console again but go for it

I only ever did that with the 360, after it blew up, and the DS, each time, because I managed to gently caress up and break each subsequent one around when the new one was coming out. Usually the hinges :v:

Because collecting Nintendo systems is A Thing

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I can't check now (at work, which oddly doesn't block SA); are any of the following games available for that voucher program:

BOTW
Mario Kart 8
Smash
NSMBUD
Captain Toad
Kirby All Stars

I own none of these games... yet.

Isn't half this list ports of WiiU games?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Takoluka posted:

You're right. He should drop the money on a Wii U instead and play them on original hardware instead of the one he owns.

Not saying that it just seems like a decent amount of the first part titles are ports.

I'm probably wrong though and it isn't actually as large as I think it is

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

gey muckle mowser posted:

Who gives a poo poo if they are ports, most people didn't own the system they were ported from anyway.

I don't like the current trend of charging full price for a port of an older game is all.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

bushisms.txt posted:

Fuuuuck my wallet!

Monster Hunter GU is on sale for half off until the 23rd. Have to get it now.

Goddamn that's tempting but can I go back to the old games after World?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I can import my MHG to GU right? Because that might be a deal breaker

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Policenaut posted:

I've got a good feeling that my wonderful fat son, Lagombi the snow rabbit, will make it into Iceborne, the snow expansion for World.

Ice frog shark is probably gonna make it too

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

japtor posted:

Also the 3D World love gives me more hope for a port sometime. And throw in all the 3D Land levels to make it “Deluxe” or whatever full price subtitle they want.

Because you'll pay it anyway lol

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I sure will, 3D World and Land both owned

Not you as in you personally but that would be the subtitle.

They could just call the whole product line that and it would absolutely sell.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Heath posted:

I forgot about the PSP Go. I remember thinking it would make an excellent emulator machine though

Mine was free after sitting in a lot and found for 6 months. Other than occasionally freezing it's pretty rad.

That said the PS4 is The Perfect Console so still not sure why we're talking about it in the Switch thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Andrast posted:

it's not even portable

I'd play the switch docked exclusively if my joycons didn't disconnect constantly

3DS has a clamshell protecting the screens. Suck it Switch :colbert: