Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Funniest thing about this tweet is that it made Brandon Bird lose his mind in the replies

Yes, THAT Brandon Bird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MLSM posted:

Did anyone else laugh at the “content warning” thing before the show began? Like, what the gently caress about Star Wars warrants that? Unless they’re referring to Reva’s bad acting here.
Was it because of the Stormtrooper being cut in half?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So far I would say Child Leia because no kid talks the way she does

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The disguise thing didn’t really bother me, because j don’t think it was intended to really fool anyone. Nobody was really paying attention due to the distraction caused by the Rebel operative.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I get the feeling that Kennedy is like the Star Wars equivalent of the NFL Commissioner. Half of that guy’s job is to be the face of unpopular things that the owners want and take all of the heat from the fans. Kennedy might just the public face that gets all of the hate from the superfans while Disney/Lucasfilm rakes in billions.
It's definitely part of it

Personally I feel like you can blame the TV issues on Filoni or Favreau more than her. However, she was clearly very involved in the new sequel trilogy, and as of right now there are zero Star Wars films under production, with the last one being by far the most poorly received of all of the films.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think Hayden has had maybe a minute of actual screen time so far

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

Rise of Skywalker ruled because it had Babu Frik which is one of the funniest Star War names.
I don't know, it's not better than Dexter Jettster (who runs a 50's diner on Coruscant)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

It's annoying that the Venn diagram for people that hate the ST and internet racists has so much overlap because I think TLJ and ROS deserve every bit of mockery and derision they get.
Agreed

This is also a problem with Star Trek Discovery fans

No, I don't dislike the show because it has a lot of diverse characters. It's because it's an average Trek show on a good day.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Way too much of this show is cribbing from Jedi Fallen Order. Which I enjoyed, but did we need to have a very similar episode where the protagonist has to infiltrate and then escape from the same place?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The writers of this show really enjoyed Jedi Fallen Order, huh

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Why the gently caress did Indira Varma save the thermal detonator for when she was near death. When they opened the hangar door there were like 40 stormtroopers clumped together and I kept saying "wow I bet they really wish they had some grenades right about now, you could take out all those guys in one blow" and then she loving pulls one out two minutes later just to make a heroic sacrifice for no reason

Insanely stupid show
Also thermal detonators must suck if they can’t even collapse a tunnel like that

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

I feel a bit sorry for people who get genuinely hung up on "why didn't X logical thing happen" because it seems like a really exhausting way to consume fiction.

Like, I know Leia can fix electronics because I'm watching her fix electronics.
It was also established in the first episode that she knows how to do these things

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

So I missed if it was shown: Can someone give me the route Obi Wan took from being surrounded by storm Troopers to getting on the exit shuttle at the end of the episode? Is he on a different transport or did he skip around Vader somehow?
He was already in the tunnel and moving towards the hangar when Vader entered the tunnel. He had a head start of at least 30 seconds.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

How are u posted:

drat, this episode was pretty great! I loved Obi Wan's manipulation of 3rd Sister, I really ended up liking the flashback with Padawan Anakin, and the Vader flexing at the end was fantastic.

Fun stuff!
*taps the thread title*

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I definitely think one of the show’s biggest failings is using the Volume as a crutch and not just to help in certain scenes. The last episode in particular was mostly shot in the Volume and you could really tell.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I can’t believe the balls of this show to have Obi-Wan defeat Vader again and once again walk away, for no other reason than continuity.

That’s not even getting into how a severely wounded Reva manages to not only get to Tattooine, but get there like an entire day before Obi-Wan, somehow?

It’s frustrating because I think the Obi-Wan character stuff is mostly good, along with the Vader stuff, but at the end of the day did this show actually add anything to the story? The answer is a strong no.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’m struggling to see the point of a Season 2. The only issue left unresolved is what happens to Reva, which would only be interesting if they had bothered to explain what she was even doing in the finale. Her character just felt very underdeveloped and clearly the priority of the producers was the Vader/Obi-Wan and Obi-Wan/Leia relationships over anything else.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jedi Fallen Order is just a much better version of this exact same story (Jedi in hiding has to reconnect with the Force and regain his powers in order to do a thing).

I had problems with the ending of that game but it’s still better than what we got here

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

if they absolutely had to make an Obi-Wan series set in between episodes III and IV, they should have just told a self-contained story about Obi-Wan coming out of hiding to protect Force-sensitive kids from the Inquisitors or whatever, and limited Vader and any other characters from the OT to the periphery. but making the whole thing revolve around OT nostalgia is perfectly in line with the frequently bankrupt way Disney has managed the Star Wars IP

but hey, it wasn't as boring as Book of Boba Fett, at least!
Nope he had to save Leia

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Reva is just kind of there

She’s only really the main threat for like one or two episodes

As you said, the primary story is Obi-Wan finding out Anakin is Vader and dealing with that

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

she also just forgets she has the force for a while so that the regular humans have a chance of defending themselves for the extremely contrived drama.

like considering she's in a rough state because vader darth entirely clowned her with the force alone, you'd think she'd be like "i'll just take this pole off this farmer so he can't stab me"

i think the stupidest thing about obi going to see leia is how he just travels the entire galaxy to spend 5 minutes on a helipad with them??? he just saved the dude's daughter, they could have him be invited in for food, a hot shower (he lives in a cave, i think he'd enjoy one), maybe some inconspicuous clothes, other supplies for living in a cave, gently caress maybe even take some poo poo back to make luke's life a bit better in his lovely little house.

jimmy smits really did luke dirty by saying "we always wanted to adopt a daughter... the boy can go live in actual destitute poverty lmao" in ep3
A very big problem with this episode is that the entire Reva/Tatooine stuff has zero tension. We know none of the characters that she runs into will die. I also knew that there was essentially zero chance that two moisture farmers were going to do much damage to Reva, even with her injuries. Then you think Obi-Wan is going to show up just in time to fight Reva, but no, everything's already done by the time he gets there.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

As far as I can tell his only job was constantly telling Obi-Wan that they didn't have enough time to repair the hyperdrive instead of, you know, actually shutting up and helping to fix it himself

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's amusing that all of Episode 5 is about how Anakin easily gets overconfident, which allows Obi-Wan to best him, but then when he and Vader have their final confrontation in Episode 6 Obi-Wan just beats him with sheer strength. This show doesn't even take its own lessons to heart.

It would also have been better if there was less of the Obi-Wan/Leia stuff and more flashbacks to Anakin and Obi-Wan before RotS

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

All the way through the series everytime they lit up a lightsaber I thought this looks awful - Took awhile before I remembered - way back when I was photographing live shows, it would be a coinflip if the lighting rig was OG bulbs or a new LED setup - if it was the former, great, photos would come out just fine. If the latter, loving awful - the LED bulbs put out an incredibly narrow band of color that murders shadow and contrast and leaves almost absolutely nothing left that you can use to rebalance a shot. Pretty much exactly why Obiwan's face looked so washed out in every fight.

Also - did I miss a trick or did Reva get to Tatooine real loving quick? Stabbed and left for dead, she finds Organa's message - at this point Vader is on his shuttle heading to pick up the chase on the Star Destroyer. Then she has to find a ship in this abandoned planet, crawl aboard, fly to Tatooine, land etc - and the chase between the Pathers and the Star Destroyer is still going on; have they really been evading Vader for multiple hours? I thought maybe they were doing some slipped timeline stuff, but nope.
No you didn’t miss anything. She somehow got to her ship (I assume) and made it all the way to Tatooine well before Obi-Wan did. This was all with what should have been a fatal injury.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Smythe posted:

All the way thru the last frame I was waiting for some badass cameo to come and make me say hell yea but it didn’t happen
What, Qui-Gon isn’t enough?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That DICK! posted:

reva raises her lightsaber to kill luke skywalker. "we don't think so." the whole gang's here - wedge antilles, pando baba, the bandana guy from bad batch, W. Wald, a teenage Nien Numb, quarsh panaka. they all take turns doing wrestling moves on her
Don’t forget Bigger Luke

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That DICK! posted:

lol did someone tell george lucas it was bad optics to give the jewish alien a big scene about his coin
Episode 1 was pretty cringeworthy in that regard, between Watto and the Neimoidians

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Robot Style posted:

Yeah, according to Lucas:

The concept art book for Solo actually had an image of a previously unseen "missing link" Falcon that's incorporating the new shape while also keeping some of the Tantive-style design elements.

Lucas' notes from around the time of the redesign refer to the Han's (then nameless) ship as a "pirate manta-ship", so there might also have been some animal influence. The ship's mandibles and wide flat shape definitely have some manta ray to them, even if it's something that was realized after the fact. I think at one point, Lucas was leaning into the aquatic nature of the ship - in the backstory he provided for the ship to licensees he said:

So Corellians were originally flying porpoises who built starships shaped like manta rays.
This sort of looks like the ship you get in the old X-Wing Alliance game which is another unique Corellian freighter

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Otana

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Top 5-

1. Jar Jar
2. ‘I hate sand’
3. All of the Lucas additions to the original trilogy in the Special Editions
4. Nooooooooo
5. ‘If you’re not with me, then you’re my enemy’

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

Vader footsteps and breathing emerging out of the background during the final Trilla fight in Fallen Order and the antagonists having no idea what the gently caress
I feel like Vader showing up kind of messed up the conclusion of that story

He’s not really involved in the plot much until that point

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Not sure what my top 5 would be but the failure is not the end/new saber bit on Ilum in Fallen Order is one of them.
JFO does such a better job with almost the same 'Jedi redemption' plot as the Obi-Wan series

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That wouldn't have been a bad idea since there is apparently a big timeskip between the two games?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Definitely interested in seeing how Andor turns out. Darker Star Wars is something that I think can work pretty well.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So Mon Mothma mentioned that there is someone she wants to bring into the resistance. Clearly there is only one acceptable option for who it is.

Get me live-action Starkiller, stat!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

Maybe this is my controversial view but I just don't want it to be jimmy smits. Sorry jimmy, I've had enough of you for the time being
I would also prefer if it's someone new

Maybe a Legends character like Garm Bel Iblis? He was supposed to have been a Senator at one point.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh Jar Jar will be at the dinner party alright

….as the main course

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So what is the over/under for how many of the rebels die during the heist? I would say it’s 2.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Madurai posted:

Before, I never thought "Hey, I wonder if Mon Mothma had a family," and even if they're jerks, I am experiencing tension on what's going to happen to them.
After seeing her lovely family I can see why it was easy for her to go all-in on the Rebellion

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I really like Mothma as the coffeehouse intellectual/discontented liberal member of the regime sort of revolutionary to contrast with the on-the-ground terrorist streetfighters. Not sure if that characterization was already present in older EU stuff, but it's a good idea to use here.
Apparently she is later responsible for disarming the New Republic, which leads to the First Order almost taking over the galaxy. Good call there Mon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jinnigan posted:

didnt The Americans writer have either this show or Rogue One before they left and Tony Gilroy picked it up?
Yes it was a guy who worked on The Americans