Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I'm just glad that Illinois is now back to being completely dem controlled even though it is undoubtedly going to continue to be ruined by corruption and lovely centrist politicians. Also that Scott Walker is gone, that's also very good.

It's pretty bad elsewhere tho, and it wasn't really enough on the whole to make me say it was a big success or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Mendrian posted:

So I realize the narrative here is that Democrats are making up ballots and dropping them off at counting offices around the country.

Due to the Republican Rule of Projection should I assume this means that this is how they 'won' those elections in the first place?

Nah, they did that through good old voter supression

E: wow

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Your Taint posted:

Ok so then forigve my ignorance, who would you call if, say, you knew someone was hurting a child if there was no law enforcement?

Abolishing our current form of law enforcement/policing does not inherently mean that there would be no other less lovely system that would enforce the laws that would replace it.

Of course that's assuming they meant it in the general leftist "abolish the police" sense.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i'm still not sure whether i like that particular adaptation of 'abolish' since it's at odds with the prior colloquial and practical use of the verb, but i don't have a better one to suggest, so i guess we're just stuck with the followup "by abolish we mean getting rid of the bad parts and the current structure and replacing it with something better, which furthermore would look something li-"

Yeah I'm not a huge fan either but it seems to be the one that's seemed to stick

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

They didn't retweet it, they were tagged in it by the guy sending the tweet. Y'all are old.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I, too, used to be a conservative Christian and nah, they don't really believe that poo poo about abortion beyond a very surface level.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I think the timing of the accusations was incredibly suspect, as well as the political affiliations of said accusers. I also think "most likely accidental grab rear end" and "12 year old poor adolescent humor" don't rise to the level of "sexmonster" when we have Trump in the big chair

Edit: Also lol that most of the people who were insisting Franken get kicked to the curb were the same people chanting "Don't let perfect be the enemy of good" at Bernie supporters

Every loving time someone mentions Franken in any thread you always get at least one person sprinting in to say that he was actually good and did nothing wrong. It's almost comical.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

anime was right posted:

anyone who supports manchin is a nazi supporter

Li Zhou
Do you think the Senate needs to respond to the use of tear gas on children at the border?

Joe Manchin
They shouldn’t be bringing their children to the border when they know they can’t get in.

Oh that's just a direct quote. gently caress him so much

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Tibalt posted:

I feel that the crime Clinton committed (lying about adultery) was humanizing and relatable, and therefore helped him, while the crimes Nixon and Trump appeared to have committed (spying on your opponent to win an election, international bribery)... aren't. We forgave Clinton's coverup because statistically most of us have done the exact same thing.

Edit: which is why you should use a condom even in a committed monogamous relationship

Pretty weird to admit to sexual assault like this but okay

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Now this is an example of a politician doing something humanizing and relatable.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Praising a member of the British royalty and acting like they're "cool" is pretty embarrising for anyone claiming to be on the left, to be honest.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The context of the original post was replying to a post implying that they were better than the average American, which they are very much not.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Wistful of Dollars posted:

The Pope is a p. chill dude.

I'm honestly amazed there are still people who think this, and seemingly have forgotten that the pope is indeed Catholic.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Personally I think there's a bit of a difference between people who disagree with me and people who at best want me to not exist in public (and at worst dead) just because I'm dating a guy.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Koalas March posted:

We really don't need two straight white dudes on a ticket.

Buttigig isn't straight tho?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Koalas March posted:

Ok two white dudes

Fair. An openly gay VP would be cool as well though imo.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

Making the VP candidate a woman is a good move, imo, if only because it would make Mike Pence incredibly uncomfortable in the debate.

Not gonna lie this is about half the reason I'd want an openly queer person as VP candidate

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

If you ever find yourself saying "as a white/straight guy" (or hell even just "as a guy") you're probably doing something wrong

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

As a white straight guy, I am aware of my privilege in life and try to do my best to support those who fight for equality.

But actually saying that sentence during any conversation it would be relevant in would just be you making the topic about yourself!

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

"Not all Christians!" Is the most :jerkbag: response to pointing out that a specific church actually is pretty homophobic.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Your Taint posted:

Lots of churches are. Hell if every single one of those Westboro Baptist fucks died a horrible death tomorrow the world would be a better place and I'd probably have a drink in celebration. As well as any of those preachers who say all gays go to hell or any of that poo poo. gently caress them.

Okay cool

Your Taint posted:

A lot of churches are also very progressive and open and pretty chill, too. Again, it's not the religion, IMO, it's what the people who follow the religion do with that knowledge and those teachings.

There's 1.5 billion Muslims in this world and just a very very small fraction of them are militant and kill other people in the name of their religion. Unfortunately, shitheads use those instances to be prejudiced against Muslims as a whole. There are lovely Christians, too. In no way am I disputing that. But taking the worst members of any large group and using them to judge the entire group is lovely and wrong no matter who you're judging. Name any race, religion, creed, sexuality, nationality, etc and there's good people and lovely people.

But this is kinda the problem. Literally no one was contesting this. It is so loving frustrating when someone points out that a specific church is homophobic and then people like you come out on a mission to defend the honor of Christians as a whole.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Your Taint posted:

I mean, if it's cool to poo poo on Christians as a whole when a church is homophobic or lovely in some other way

Nobody did this. You're so fragile that you took someone pointing out that a specific church was homophobic as people saying that all of Christianity is homophobic

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Your Taint posted:

Every morning I wake up and check my phone in the hopes that the fucker had a heart attack overnight and croaked. I feel like an rear end in a top hat but I can't help it.

I, too, hope someone way more competent and "respectable" but just as evil (and even more evil wrt queer people!) becomes president

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

Which is why he will be on a true news source like Fox News.

That's bad too but doesn't refute the point of the article in any way. Someone who does bad and dumb things can still be right about other things.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

pkay posted:

Everyone is just ganging up on Trump. It's the MSM fault guys!

Trump is insanely bad, but mostly for reasons outside of Russia, although the Russia thing is also bad

But given how you admit to vote I assume you don't care about the other stuff

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Petr posted:

I know the tone of this thread varies significantly depending on who's logged in and posting, but I never expected to load it up and find the "actually we should chill out cause trump isn't so bad" crowd. loving wild.

Hmm, yes, I remember when that totally happened as well.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Your Taint posted:

Really? You can think of TEN Presidents worse than Trump? And what criteria are you using to judge them? Because have there been 10 Presidents who actively worked to keep the populace so divided and attacked the Constitution every time he didn't like what was happening? Or actively colluded with our enemies to win elections?

I'm sure you can name one or two, but I think ten would be a stretch.

edit: if i came off like a dick I apologize, as that was not my intention.

12 presidents owned slaves at some point in their lives, apparently, so it might be easier than you think.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

big boi posted:

Welp, last night I had a dream that I went on a date with AOC. Point and laugh at me as is right and just

Something you could've done instead of posting this is not doing that

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Endorph posted:

so what was your take on her hand in torturing gay children

im assuming that was strong leadership?

That was gabbard, not Gillibrand, unless she's even worse than I thought

E: oops should've looked at the new page

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

That aged poorly very quickly

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Oh hey, that's really cool

Although something kinda important is the distinction between protections for sexual orientation vs protections for sexual orientation AND gender identity since sexual orientation alone does not protect trans people

edit: although apparently Minnesota's 1993 law included both, so nevermind

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

Your life was just fine before Discord and you could organize all the JRPGs you wanted without Discord.

And I'm going to guess that, shocker!, your life would be just fine if all that suddenly went away.

Thanks to the support of friends I've made in discord servers I became fully comfortable with being gay, and was able to work through and finally get past some real bad poo poo from when I was a kid. It's pretty much THE way I talk to all of my friends, etc.

So like, I dunno, having private spaces to talk semi-anonymously (or not) about poo poo is like, really important?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

That's because gay marriage is a fundamentally conservative issue. US v. Windsor wasn't about the sanctity of love and marriage but wealthy white person Edith Windsor wanting to avoid paying taxes on the 6 million dollar estate she inherited from her deceased partner Thea Spyer. Which is something the "liberal" media leaves out when discussing the 360k in estate taxes the state saddled her with that she considered to be unfair:

On the list of LGBTQ issues including homelessness, violence, healthcare, forced sex work, etc. gay marriage is a luxury issue that sucked the air out of LGBTQ activism.

Same sex marriage is absolutely not nearly as important as most other queer issues, and it's really bad that a lot of people think that the fight is over now that ssm is legal. However to say that it's a fundamentally conservative issue feels like a tad bit much.