Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Kobayashi posted:

Considering she's the nominal leader of the only democratically-elected check on the guy behind "Watergate 2," I'd say it's extremely relevant.

The degree to which she's Insufficiently Leftist for USPol really isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Lightning Knight posted:

You guys spend so much time posting about posting and complaining that [x discussion] is occurring instead of just not engaging with posters you don't wish to argue with. It's crazy!

Like this. Stop it.

If the thread becomes a Dems Bad version of the YOSPoS Bitcoin thread where people just white noise tired jokes at each other that's just boring.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I think the thing he did was annoy Dolt45?!

This is hard to admit but I... I can confirm that that's not an uncommon network name here and has been for quite some time. It's true! It's... well, it's lame as hell now but it's true.

CmdrRiker posted:

There is fear of MN eventually reaching a tipping point. Luckily the Twin Cities area continues to stay blue and outpopulate the rural counterparts.

We were ~50k votes from going red in '16 god drat it! That margin is smaller than the Somali immigrant population.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Lightning Knight posted:

Color me shocked that the day after the midterms, there are many posts in a thread about US Politics.

Also probably 20 pages of this thread are people posting about posting, so maybe if you stopped posting about posting, the thread wouldn't be moving so fast lmao.

*farts loudly while obviously leaning left and looking around to see if anyone notices* "Lookit this powermad mod tellin' us reg'lar threadshitters how to post! Impeach 'im ah say!" *hacks and coughs awkwardly for several beats, spits* "IM. PEACH!"

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Welp, we're boned

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Side discussion:

What are the realistic odds of taking the senate back in 2020?

Why are you asking when we don't even know what the senate will look like in February yet?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

corn in the bible posted:

:shrug:

Definitely Roe v Wade's gone though

No, they'll just slowly shred the reasonable burden test

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Kimsemus posted:

Not a frozen chance in hell so long as they want to preserve 2nd amendment rights. They'll have to just reverse or wait for another case and erode it. Reasonable Burden is the conservative silver bullet judicially.

I'm pretty sure a court can recognize a different (un?)reasonable burden standard for different things like buying a murder machine vs getting an elective medical procedure.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Kimsemus posted:

No they can't. The standard is constitutional. It's the thread that runs through everything from Terry v Ohio through Heller & McDonald. To contort the standard in this way would basically destroy it. It's also VERY hard to move as a needle of judgment since it's been deemed to be written into the constitution.

I very well may be using the wrong legal term, but my understanding is that a different test is applied to laws restricting abortions and laws restricting murder fetish purchases. All they have to do is slowly alter the former test until it's only unconstitutional to deny access to abortion if the law states a clinic must be in an aircraft connected to a level one trauma center by a paper mache tunnel or something.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Kimsemus posted:

Guns are probably a bad example, since they are constitutionally protected and therefore not a valid comparison to abortion.

Now that I think about it more critically, overturning abortion would be way, way easier.

Ah, the 'substantial burden test' https://www.oyez.org/cases/2015/15-274

English sucks poo poo as a formal language IDK how lawtalkers manage

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Trasson posted:

Beto should run in Texas in 2020 no matter how much of a snowball's chance he has.

Yes! New plan: kidnap Beto's, uh, dog, I guess? Every two years and say he only gets the pooch back if he finds something to run for statewide.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Anyone else wondering if Muller's report is coming out soon because ~someone~ ordered him to wrap it up early?

That's assuming it's actually coming out soon, obv.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

MAGA is going to get it's own Tinder

Meet Righter

https://mobile.twitter.com/wearerighter/status/1060351250213076993

Has not launched yet of course

Is this a rebrand of the thing that got its database dumped to the internet a few centuries ago (Trump Age Time - month or so Real Time)?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Deified Data posted:

What in the gently caress did they do to ruffle the :decorum: libs so much? A protest is an attack now?

He doesn't want the chuds he pisses off showing up on his lawn

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Lightning Knight posted:

Which is property damage, which doesn't matter as much as society wants us to believe it should.

Breaking down the front door of a house with people in it is not mere property damage, dude. Holy poo poo.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Babylon Astronaut posted:

More like Fucker Carlson.

I prefer Fucker Charlatan because I don't think he actually believes what he says, which I do not say by way of excusing his white supremacy - doing it for the money is worse in my opinion.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I was all set to not take top rope no-blue-checkmark dude seriously but welp just got a news alert from Reuters about it. Holy poo poo what a disgrace.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

This will be a hilarious disaster.

For US diplomacy, yes.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Skex posted:

Cite? Because I remember all kinds of unsubstantiated bullshit that was tossed around when W came in that was later determined to be a bunch of bullshit.

Stop buying into Republican propaganda.

https://www.gao.gov/new.items/d02360.pdf

quote:

Damage, theft, vandalism, and pranks occurred in the White House complex during the 2001 presidential transition. Incidents such as the removal of keys from computer keyboards; the theft of various items; the leaving of certain voice mail messages, signs, and written messages; and the placing of glue on desk drawers clearly were intentional acts.

Passive voice as gently caress

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Skex posted:

And frankly given the tentative relationship the Right has with reality and truth, I remain skeptical. Then again given how the 2000 election turned out I really couldn't blame anyone in the outgoing administration for being a little bitter. Further given how that outcome hosed the country and the world.

The GAO isn't "the right", but I'll grant you that some incoming staffer might have pretended to find a prank they constructed themselves or just lied about it, but the conclusion I was quoting from actually isn't very harsh. Yeah, a couple of pranks happened, but most of the damage was attributable to years of wear and tear plus moving a bunch of office furniture around in a hurry.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Push El Burrito posted:

Trump's written answers will be crayon drawings of clocks.

I'm hoping for reams and reams of photocopied sharpie scrawlings reading "YOUR[sic] NOT MY DAD" myself

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

That's from March. I'm pretty sure someone posted the results of a more recent and more detailed survey that finished the other week ITT or in the old Trump thread that found that more self-identified liberals still favor compromise. I'd find it for you but you're posting a thing from March like it's new so I'm matching your effort.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Rigel posted:

Just for the record, I think dumping Pelosi is a mistake, because a political party has never had any problem demonizing a speaker (given enough time) since the 80's. The Dems had no problem tanking Ryan and Gingrich among moderate voters, the GOP had no problem making the middle skeptical of Pelosi, and if we pick someone else then the GOP hate machine will just go right back to work on their multi-year effort to get the country to hate the new speaker. If you set that aside and just say Pelosi is a bad leader well OK then, but I don't agree with that either.

Being leader of an organ with ~15% approval ratings probably rubs off, too.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

my bony fealty posted:

Your periodic reminder that Meghan McCain is a piece of poo poo, like her father before her

https://twitter.com/MeghanMcCain/status/1062563914435702785?s=19

(she is defending Ben Shapiro here)

I think she's mad at people that are celebrating her father's death OP

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Have to say that "Flake takes action" is not something I'd ever see said unironically. What's the catch?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1063102091500154881

At least parts of the government still kinda-sorta work :confuoot:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

eke out posted:

this seems like a nonsense argument to me, given that there's not really such thing as "opening up" a bill in a way that others could exploit, and the Civil Rights Act is the simplest vehicle for gay workplace protections because workplace protections exist in it already for race and sex and you only need to add a few words

additionally, it sends a clear message that we are treating gay rights as equal to other core civil rights protections

Let me translate: "I believe that ladder would look much better up here where I am."

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Rigel posted:

Winning the governor's race was critical. As irritating as this state house and congressional result was, winning the governor's mansion means the Dems will be able to force a "fair" map for the next decade in Wisconsin for the 2022 elections.

I'm not sure what they need to override a veto, but it looks like they might have it if it's the same as the federal override level :(

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Main Paineframe posted:

If she compromises on her principles, of course people who backed her because of those principles are going to be mad. Would you prefer a personality cult that blindly supports her regardless of her actual actions? AOC, like other leftist up-and-coming stars, have support because of their principles and promises; now that she's in office, she has to deliver on those or she'll lose that support.

"on her principals" is a funny way to say "anything at all"

e: well maybe not you personally but plenty of regulars will

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 16, 2018

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Chilichimp posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Look like the "first asian american in congress" meme can officially die (despite never being true for a loving moment).

First Asian-American woman, IIRC, though I don't know if the added qualifier makes it true.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Hope is a lie again huh :smith:

That's an interesting way to put it and I hope it's a direct quote

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

DLC Inc posted:

lol what? Florida was always a longshot.

I was hoping that Florida's general incompetence w.r.t. elections meant there would be a machine fault.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Josef bugman posted:

I mean she can do that by just saying "gently caress you" and "no" to anything that comes through the door that doesn't have "DEMOCRAT" at the top of it. The fact is that it's what the Republicans did and it obviously has not hurt them one loving bit.

Yeah, I remember the red wave from last week. Brutal stuff.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Shammypants posted:

Am I crazy or is there a new format for displaying tweets on this forum? It seems, not so good?

Twitter screws with the embedding format constantly because they have to justify employing ~10x more developers than they reasonably need.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Condiv posted:

they weren't doing that. they were advocating for macron to be the leader of the world. you can look at the tweets yourself and see that

Which tweets?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Condiv posted:

look a few posts back in my post history

Oh, well that's stilly: everyone knows it Merkle :rolleye:

They weren't advocating making Macron the actual leader of the goddamn world just advocating who should carry a pointless, unofficial honorific right now JFC

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I care about the Russia investigation because I want Russian trolls to stop making GBS threads up all the internet forums.

I'll have you know that my posting does not correspond to Moscow business hours :mad:

Or was it St. Petersburg?

Condiv posted:

and i can mock them for their bad opinions, and that should just be the end of it right? no need to turn it into a silly "well would you vote for musollini over hitler" slapfight right? cause for some reason some people felt the need to do just that cause I don't like macron

Yeah, fair, but there's also a difference between "Leader of the World" and "Leader of the Free World" and words you pick do matter. Unless you're POTUS right now :nallears:

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 19, 2018

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

sort of like how neera wasn't actually advocating blood for oil, she was, uh, doing a prank

No, not like that at all.

e: it's less like advocating violence and more like if we all just sort of agreed to start calling some particular poster The Most Uselessest Whitenoise. One has actual implications to people in the real world and one is just a pointless honorific.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 19, 2018

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Lightning Knight posted:

The Trump campaign was basically the monkeys on typewriters of espionage, they're so stupid and incompetent that it accidentally looks complicated and deep.

Somewhat ironically, it actually looks a lot like the way certain regressives smeared the Clintons: just keep making poo poo up because it's impossible to debunk it all for everyone and confirmation bias will make it stick with a lot of other regressives.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

TheScott2K posted:

I agree - I really think people overestimate the efficacy of Russian propaganda on Facebook and Twitter. Nobody who was going to vote against Trump had their mind changed by that nonsense. It bugs me how much oxygen it gets because there actually is a very real propaganda and communications component to the current state of political affairs, it's just the people doing it are friends and colleagues of our "mainstream" media members like Chuck Todd and Jake Tapper.

Myanmar used WhatsApp to help instigate genocide and rumors spread on it and Facebook still regularly get people lynched, so you may be understating the power of social media a wee bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I dunno, sounds like an opportunity for a very big procurement bill to me.

Infrastructure, huh? Maybe we could make a big deal out of improving it for, say, a week or so? Just to keep it in the news.

Has anyone edited that Perry Bible Fellowship cartoon where they line up to paddle anyone who mentions some word to say infrastructure week instead yet?