Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Got some discounted beef and pork. Grabbed some rutabagas, potatoes, and parsnips and made a boiled dinner.

It was really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Made a boiled dinner tonight.

Took some discounted beef, cut it into large chunks, then simmered it for 2.5 hours or so. Had the water well salted and seasoned with thyme and rosemary. Then I added shallots, potatoes, and celery. Let it simmer for another hour.

The broth I strained and served as a first course, after putting it in the broiler for a bit with some croutons and cheese. The beef was tender and tasty and the veg was great as well.

Delicious. Really easy too.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

made bechamel sauce tonight. really really good.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

If you dont want a dick on your packaging dont use a famously endowed landmark, imho. If you're gonna use something famous for slingin meat people will notice they're getting a meatless alternative

I can see not wanting to be known as the "dick cheese" company but they should have picked a different symbol if they wanted to avoid that

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

speaking of cheese. . .

there was a bunch of fresh mozzarella at the store on a close to code 50% off special. bought some and enjoyed it at lunch

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

AxGrap posted:

Okay, my wife is trying to eat healthy. What are some simple meals that use staple ingredients that are good for weight loss/health in general I can feed the family with? She always ends up being the odd man out eating her own thing bc it's hard to whip things up when I don't exactly know what's "healthy" and I'm the main cooking person in the house bc of timing of when we get off work.

vegetable soups and stews. also baked, roasted, broiled, or grilled vegetables.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

made a really tasty chicken fricassee as a demo in preparation for when some friends are coming over the next week

absolutely delicious. really cheap to make too.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

bad news folks, i gotta hand it to nancy pelosi. I tried jeni's ice cream and it whips rear end. had the brown butter pecan and the cherry goat cheese. also tried my wife's biscuits and jam. god drat. i fuckin love pratical market solutions now

have you tried the adrenochrome swirl yet?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

i'm really, really happy with my chicken fricassee. it is good over egg noodles but next time I'll do mashed potatoes

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I went to Outback and ordered a steak. It came with a dinner salad before hand. My waiter asked me what I'd like on it, and I told him of my hatred.

"Unless you make it entirely out of croûtons and ranch dressing I won't be eating it, but thanks anyway."

3 minutes later, a plate full of croûtons covered in ranch dressing adorned my plate.

Yes, that man got a 30% tip.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

saw that old post on fat goon blog and had to share

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

AxGrap posted:

Veggies are good!

Oh totally. Vegetables are delicious. We are not taught to prepare them in tasty ways though

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

ekuNNN posted:

i made some lazy char siu for the first time, with delicious discount pork, and it was good :3:

i'm going to do a pork dish next time. thanks

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

planning a sandwich throughout the day is one of my favorite idle brain activities. god speed.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

AxGrap posted:

This but one handed and eat it off the bone

yeah you can do this with your teeth

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

i say swears online posted:

i cook with it enough where i'm always desperate for some, but i drastically cut back on the amount of bacon i bought after bidenflation. i probably buy two pounds a year now

i forgot about salad dressings. if you split it 50/50 with olive oil it makes a fantastic vinaigrette

I only ever buy bacon (and pretty much all meat) when it has been discounted 50% due to being close to the sell by date

save every drop of fat from the cooking though

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

i am harry posted:

i never deep fried stuff because i didnt want to have to dispose of so much oil then one day i realized its not that dirty and now i fry chicken in oil then i save the oil in a jar and fry stuff like tofu for stirfry in that and use the bits of cooked flour for gumbo which i need to start on soon now that its getting cold enough for soup

maybe the solution is to change the order in which you fry - cook fish with reused oil from frying tofu rather than the other way around

I use "waste" oil to caramelize onions in mass. Got a pan with some oil in it? Have some rendered fat from cooking? Remaining oil from other frying? Caramelize onions.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Chard posted:

i dont do a lot of deep frying or bacon-grease frying because the recipes we like most can be done pan-fried or baked. keeping that much grease around for non-consistent recipes just doesn't make sense, even though we also eat bacon sometimes

pan frying is the best way. 420 pan fry everyday

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's a messy hassle and i don't want to deal with it.

pour the oil off into a coffee cup that you keep in the fridge

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

made a really, really good chicken fricassee for my friends recently. served it over their choice of mashed potatoes or wide egg noodles. sides were creamed spinach and baked green beans.

they said it was literally the best meal of their entire lives which made me feel pretty good.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I've been thinking about caramelized onions for three days.

I think today is the day I do the caramelizing of the onions. prolly put some shallots in there too why not.

oh yeah toss in some shallots if you can. shallots + sweet onions are fantastic.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

looks like a great casserole

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

i say swears online posted:

just put lots of oil. . .on all the balls before they touch

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

baked sweet onions, small potatoes, and a single hamburger patty (on sale 50% off) in the oven for lunch today. was incredible

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Dokapon Findom posted:

I put some bacon on a cookie sheet and threw it in the oven and that was it. A 4 Michelin star supper

baking bacon is the superior cooking method to pan frying

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Dokapon Findom posted:

Going to try making beef short ribs again in the dutch oven. Last time I let them sit too long and it overreduced, I wasn't checking on it because it was just smelling so good

Dokapon Findom posted:

Short ribs are in the dutch oven. The rest... is up to God :pray:

I love a good short rib. Please tell us how it turns out.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Dokapon Findom posted:

Made chili last night that I feel is a bit spicy for me, I might halve the chipotles in adobo but otherwise I am somewhat pleased with it. Do you have the balls to make my chili and see what needs improvement?

quote:

1 tsp - fish sauce

:barf:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I know people like it though but fish sauce/oyster sauce never appealed to me. Makes me think of the fish factory I used to work at

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

kind of like the few grains of nutmeg in your chili lol

grains might be the unit of weight and not a few literal grains

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

The Voice of Labor posted:

adolf hitler is holding a gun to your head and barking orders at you in broken english. he is demanding that you make the most inauthentic ethnic cuisine you can. what do you do?

pow wow chow

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

spechtie posted:

some Soviet dinner inspiration:

Dinner with beer. Photo from the Book of Tasty and Healthy Food (USSR, 1962)

the beer provides the carbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

how do you all feel about parboiling your potatoes before you roast them?

I used to not bother but I find I get a much more even cook if I do so, and it doesn't take all damned night to get them done
though it doesn't always turn out as crispy as I'd like

I'm lazy and just cut the potatoes into large cubes, toss them in a bunch of fat, and just let them do their thing in the oven.