Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

theironjef posted:

Couldn't it just mean literally low, like low of home elevation, and describe drow and aquatic elves?

Describing the black skinned race of elves as “low” would probably not go over well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Zurui posted:

My gaming group is going through a period of schedule upheaval and I want to start running pick-up games. I need a system that has the following characteristics:

- Engaging tactical combat (rules out Basic D&D). Essentially I want to be able to use a map and have it matter.
- Quick character creation (less than 10 minutes, ideally).
- Reasonable levels of character balance (rules out Pathfinder).
- Ability to run a combat encounter in less than an hour (rules out 4e).

Any suggestions?

13th Age for everything that isn’t 2

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Whybird posted:

Oh sup, I always figured you were a goon.

That’s a terrible thing to assume about somebody

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Splicer posted:

Mrs. Splicer has been having a similar issue with trying to find decent female protagonist, non-YA genre fiction. Most of the women are either, well, the usual women in sci fi and fantasy, or the book is all about Exploring Female Themes. She just wants to read a book where a person goes around being a badass in space/elfland/space elfland and that person is also female. Bonus points if that person occasionally bangs people* and it's not treated like a big deal or in a weird male fantasy way.

She hated The Fade so much she made me read it just so she would have someone to get angry about it with.

*not, like, explicitly, but it's one of her pet peeves about women in fiction in general

Has she read any of the female-led Discworld books? Susan Sto Helit is one of my favorite protagonists in fiction

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
To be honest, I’m not entirely on board with the philosophy of “play to see what happens” but that’s because I like it when the GM has a story in mind. It doesn’t have to follow it exactly, but the intention of telling a satisfying story is important to me when I play.

I’ve also been burned by a GM who really leans into the “play to see what happens” mindset who then doesn’t plan on making any satisfying plot hooks.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Incidentally, I always wanted a Blue Mage class back in the 3.5/4e days. Would be a nightmare, I imagine.

I just want a Final Fantasy ttrpg. FF1 is at least half stolen ideas from D&D, it’d be fun to see it go full circle.

I know there is at least one fan made FF ttrpg, I should check it out sometime

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
My rule of thumb for a game like D&D is if the fighter excites me. If it doesn’t, it probably isn’t the game for me. 4e, Pathfinder 2e, and 13th Age are all really different but they all have fighters that look cool and fun to play

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
More recently, Pathfinder 2e shows you can have a DnD-like and have decent balance between casters and martials

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Darwinism posted:

Unless it changed massively from the playtest this is categorically untrue

edit: lol, a level 20 Fighter can attack one time extra each round! The wonder! The power! A level 20 Wizard gets fuckin' Wish. Man they sure have balanced things.

Uh, wish isn’t necessarily the world changing spell you think it is in PF2e. It can cast a free arcane spell up to level 9, a free non-arcane spell up to level 7, remove a condition that refers to wish, or “produce any effect whose power level is in line with those effects” which, even if you’re feeling spicy and your GM is lenient, isn’t the same as being able to be king of everything forever

And, with the way the action economy works, being permanently quickened is actually really good

Edit: way that it works out is both classes get something for free, with wizard it’s a free (good) spell that they didn’t have to prepare and with the fighter, it’s either a free attack, every turn, forever. I would call those comparable!

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 22, 2019

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Splicer posted:

*in extremely cliched but still accurate voice* The fighter gets better at fighting, the wizard gets better at deciding if the fight happens. Narrative agency is more important in an RPG than getting better at number go down.

I looked through the spells and the wizard doesn’t actually have that many tools to just stop encounters from happening

I mean, I pretty much only play martial characters and I felt pretty drat excited about how martials matched up to casters when I read 2e. A raging barbarian can turn into a dragon, for goodness sake

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Moriatti posted:

I think move variety, type effectiveness and training are super important to the Pokemon brand. Games that are successful in the franchise tend to use these (the TCG, Mainline Games and to a lesser degree, Go) while games that are more likely to eschew them really underdo these (Pokken, Heroes, Duel, the minis game, the official ttrpg)

I agree with this. I think, for me, the core appeal, gameplay wise, of Pokémon is meaningful customization and personalization, combined with a strong elemental system. That said, I’m not sure how a designer would achieve that without a high crunch system, which I’m not sure people would want for their fun Pokémon romp. At least, not enough people to justify making and publishing a whole-rear end ttrpg

I’m not sure what you mean by Pokémon Heroes, which is a movie, or “the official ttrpg” which I’m reasonably sure doesn’t exist.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Moriatti posted:

Sorry, Pokemon Masters and Pokemon Jr Adventure Game respectively.

Holy moly, how did I never hear about the Pokémon Jr Adventure Game? I need o track a copy down

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Moriatti posted:

Dont, It's really bad.

That’s why I want it though

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

drrockso20 posted:

One of the reasons I'm pushing for Digimon more, it's stuff is a lot less established in nature, and thus more amenable to changes as the format requires

I think having satisfying rules for branching digivolutions would necessitate a high level of crunch, with different digivolutions needing different conditions and having all of those different Digimon feeling relatively balanced

You’re right that there’s no real gameplay core that would need to be adapted closely though.

I’m not sure how you’d adapt a Monster Raising game to tabletop, tbh. What was the name of that one that advertised on System Mastery?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ilor posted:

The other thing that is gobsmacking about this conversation is how much it misses the point of an RPG, which is to tell a collaborative story. It's like those PbtA hacks where the writer is like, "Oooh, I love X genre, I'm going to port that to AW!" So many of those games prove to be crap because the writer forgot to answer the most basic questions of an RPG: Who are the PCs? What challenges are they going to face, and what actions are they going to take to overcome those challenges? How will those actions drive the story? What does their opposition look like, and how does it change as the characters progress? For that matter, what does character progression look like? Is it "number go up," or does it shape narrative? What social contract will cement the PCs together, and how will their collaboration influence the direction of the story.

You can spend as much time and effort as you want replicating breeding and evolving and throwing excellent curve balls and whatever the gently caress else, but if your "character's" stats/actions boil down to "throw balls" and "uh, fight monsters with other monsters, I guess," then you're going to have a garbage RPG. Not all genres port cleanly, and some are better left as computer or card games.

“Fighting monsters with other monsters” is baked into the entire genre, it’s not weird to wonder how you make a fundamental part of the genre feel satisfying to play.

Like, you don’t need to think too hard about how to solve a particular problem in a genre where the answer 8/10 times is “I fight it with my monster”

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It’s a little weird to see the argument that an rpg system that primarily focuses on combat might as well just be a board game when games like D&D 4e are pretty much just systems for combat and are widely loved by the folks here

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Joe Slowboat posted:

I think there’s also a difference between a CCG and a board game and a Pokémon board game would be a lot of fun. Something where you capture your way across a league, racing your rival players to take down the champ. I don’t think the card game really does that?

I admit, I don’t really want a TTRPG of Pokémon, but somewhere between that and an RPG seems cool?

There was a board game that did that, actually. I don’t know if it was good or not, I never played it

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I think the idea that a ttrpg needs to primarily have rules for influencing the narrative is just wrong. Don’t get me wrong, games that are mechanically focused on the narrative are fun as much as games that focus on producing satisfying combat. I think saying “TTRPGs need to be story games otherwise they might as well be board games” is unnecessarily purist and is conflating your personal preferences as some sort of universal truth of game design

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ilor posted:

I don't want to imply any kind of purism,

You said that D&D isn’t a role-playing game, what is that but purism?

Seriously, you need to step back and look at your posts and think about how you’re coming across.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Splicer posted:

All rules influence the narrative. Every single rule in the game in some way influences the narrative. There is no such thing as a narrative-neutral ruleset.

Well, yes. However, it’s a matter of focus, and my point is that a system that focuses on combat mechanics is no less valid than a system that focuses on replicating the feeling of CW’s Riverdale

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Lemon-Lime posted:

Only if those combat mechanics are in service to the game's themes.

If you make a game about hosting dinner parties and include 200 pages of combat rules and options, it doesn't matter how mechanically clever those combat options are, you've made a mistake.

Pokémon as a series has been fundamentally about combat since day one. It is by no means a stretch to say that yes, the combat would be in service to the theme of “Pokémon battles are fun to do”

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Lemon-Lime posted:

Only if those combat mechanics are in service to the game's themes.

If you make a game about hosting dinner parties and include 200 pages of combat rules and options, it doesn't matter how mechanically clever those combat options are, you've made a mistake.

On second thought a game about hosting a dinner party that also has 200 pages of combat rules sounds amazing. What kind of wild dinner parties are happening

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ilor posted:

No, I didn't. I said it wasn't about role-playing. Lemon-lime and fool_of_sound have the right of it - the vast majority the rules in D&D are dedicated to killing monsters and taking their stuff. The mechanics of a game influence and incentivize certain playstyles and player behaviors, so while you can have role-playing experiences in the context of those rules, it doesn't change the fact that the game is about...killing monsters and taking their stuff. So yeah, it's a role-playing game, just not a terribly well-designed one.

Let me ask you this: do the D&D rules as written support a pacifist character getting XP advancements as well as a character who is killing monsters and taking their stuff?

Awesome, so how much of the crunch of Pokemon's combat system do you mean to capture in these rules? How detailed will it be? How much page space will you devote to it vice other systems in the game? And can the desired level of detail be captured in simple mechanics, or is it going all-in and therefore going to be a god-awful, calculator-requiring slog that's just a tedious chore to play at the table? Because if so, you're better off just playing Pokemon.

Also: Great! But what happens when you're not in combat? How much time are the PCs going to spend not in combat? How is the story around what the PCs are doing going to be structured, and how are conflicts that result from that going to be resolved? If the answer is, "duh, combat" then why not just play Pokemon and be done with it?

Okay, a lot of things to unpack here. First of all you said that D&D was really just “at best a fantasy tac-sim game.” Do you not see how that smacks of purism?

Second, having a satisfying crunchy tactical combat system doesn’t mean you can’t have good rules for role-playing, either. That being said, a world or story that focuses on combat should probably have the bulk of its rules be about combat, and Pokémon, in most of its forms, focuses on combat. (Combat isn’t life or death stakes, either, most of the time it’s like challenging somebody to one-on-one basketball, so using it as a go-to option for settling conflicts isn’t bad like you make it out to be)

As for your question, I don’t think D&D ought to support hardcore pacifist characters in the same way that a Pokémon system shouldn’t have to support a PC that doesn’t want to have Pokémon, in the same way that Lancer shouldn’t support a character who refuses to get into a mech. I’m not sure what you’re trying to prove there.

As for your last set of questions, in Pokémon, a character would spend their time traveling, talking to NPCs, solving mysteries, etc. I don’t believe that those sorts of things need in-depth rules, especially in something like Pokémon. For the tone of something like Pokémon, lighter rules for interacting with the larger world outside of combat would probably be important.

I would probably have the trainer characters have 3-4 social stats and encourage the players to think of outside of the box approaches to using their Pokémon, stuff like “I have my Poochyena track down the missing mayor by scent”, that sort of thing, but I don’t think having in-depth rules for something like that would fit the tone of the game world.

And finally, as for why not just play the video game and be done with it, well, there are people who want to have a narrative that’s customized to them, with a backstory and character they thought up themselves, and the ability to shape the narrative in ways that you can’t in the games.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

neonchameleon posted:

But getting back to Pokemon in specific to me the biggest problem is not that it's combat heavy, but how solitary the combat is. In the games there's only one PC - and in the cartoon although Ash has Misty and Brock, and Jessie & James have each other and Meowth (and a Team Rocket RPG sounds fun) even the combat is The Decker Problem writ large; when Ash is fighting; even if it's the most fun combat system in the world what's everyone else doing? Even if they are playing the Pokemon in the fight you only have one active at a time.

There’s been multiple games that have had more than one Pokémon working together at a time. There’s been Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, Pokémon Conquest, Double and Multi-battles in the main games, the space is definitely been explored before.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

fool_of_sound posted:

It should have room for characters for whom battling and defeating gym leaders isn't their driving goal though. Pokemon breeders and contest coordinators and researchers and stuff.

I hadn’t really thought about that. I’d probably say that being a breeder would probably not work as ttrpg, but a researcher would probably still engage with catching/battling.

Contests would probably be best introduced in a supplement of some sort, just because it would be so mechanically different than battling while still being worth exploring

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ilor posted:

Totally agreed, so those backstory and character and narrative elements have to have mechanical support in the rules to be useful.

Things don’t have to be mechanically useful to have value to a game!

When I make a character idea or backstory I don’t make it so I’ll get a bonus here or there, I make it so I have a character that I find compelling! Role playing will happen regardless of if the game has in depth rules for role playing.

For goodness’s, sake, there are numerous games that are mostly about combat. I wouldn’t tell somebody who wants to make a mecha game to not bother because loving Armored Core exists, and I wouldn’t tell people to not bother playing a dungeon crawler because Roguelikes exist.

You keep conflating your personal preferences as the only way to view games and it’s impossible to talk to you

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
My friend made a little horror/comedy game about working in customer service, here’s the synopsis :

Customer Service is hell. Everyone who has worked in the sector for more than a few shifts knows. Customers can be real monsters, the equipment you use is so temperamental as to be cursed, and sometimes it’s all you can do to just survive the shift. Graveyard Shift is a Comedy Horror RPG that takes these statements in a very literal direction. You and two to four friends will take on the roles of the employees and maybe a few of the nicer regulars at a small 24 hour breakfast restaurant during the 10pm to 6am shift. Over the course of the shift, strange, horrific things start to happen until suddenly all hell breaks loose and a truly supernatural threat rears it’s head. When the waffle iron starts flying around trying to kill people, those stoners turn out to be zombies, and an unspeakable thing from beyond the stars begins crawling out of the toilet, it’s your problem; after all, you might get fired for this!

https://ardentgamer.itch.io/graveyard-shift

It would be cool if some people checked it out!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Look, Ilor, I’m done. It’s not worth it. I should have put my energy into getting people to check out what my friend made, instead

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ilor posted:

This is an awesome concept! Checking it out now!

No worries, friend. And mission accomplished, because your friend's thing is cool.

Thanks for checking it out!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Covok posted:

Man, the switch port of Digimon Cyber Sleuth is soooo easy to break. The in-game clock moves forward as long as the program is running on the console. My digimon get all the experience from the digifarm even when the console is technically off. I'm on chapter 3 and have like 10 ultimate level digimon at max level. I'll probably have a couple of optimized Mega level beefy mother fuckers by tomorrow. This poo poo actually rewards me playing in bursts in-between life responsibilities.

I also had this happen but I’m a loser who doesn’t like using exploits so I put the three Ultimates I got from leaving it on overnight into the bank until I could get my other guys caught up

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Lancer is good but upgrading your mech after you level is a bit daunting. Is there an online tool to help with character building?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Does anyone know if hacking 13th Age to use 3d6 instead of d20s is possible? There’s a lot of effects that happen on 16+ or a 1-5 d20 roll but I’m interested in seeing if there’s a way to get the same percentage chances with 3d6

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

You are buying success now, and paying for it in trouble later.

I know that’s the intended effect but games like that feel very unsatisfying for me. I’d rather just have my successes be successes, rather than being success at a price.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Alaois posted:

then you would not be playing a gritty neo-noir where the protagonists are expected to take a beating to go along with the wins they manage to scrape together, and thats okay

but that's the game experience that Technoir brings to the table so if that's not what you want, you play a system that is not Technoir.

Yeah, gritty neo-noir isn’t really the type of game I go for. I generally prefer a bit more of a power fantasy, to be honest

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Look it could be worse, it could be a multi day argument about a hypothetical Pokémon role-playing system.

I apologize for taking part in that.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There was a game that explored Pokémon warfare. It’s called Pokémon Conquest and fights were just 6v6 Pokémon battles where the losers went “oh no!” and ran away.

Nobunaga’s evil plan was to kill God, both figuratively and metaphorically so that people would be nicer to their Pokémon

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nuns with Guns posted:

But since we're on the topic, hey, I wonder what the perfect pokemon tabletop RPG would look like...

Obviously you start with the perfect role-playing system: D&D 3.5

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hey everyone. After all the terrible things that happened recently with FYAD, Ettin and I felt it was appropriate to make a statement about expectations within TG. It's sticky'd here.

Thanks for posting this

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
What are y’all’s favorite core book just from a reading perspective? I like 13th Age’s authors chiming in and saying “we do it this way but you can do it this other way” and the way that it has a lot of plot hooks that it leaves up to the GM to fill in, like the way it says “things would get real bad if the High Druid and the Orc Lord ever teamed up, hint hint”

I also adore Tenra Bansho Zero, I read both the rule book and the setting book cover-to-cover, but I doubt I’ll ever get my group to run it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Someone in my gaming group took to reddit asking about the record for the largest single D&D game (single meaning adjucated by a single head GM, wherein the actions of any one party can influence other parties and the overall game itself) was set at a comic convention in Brazil, 2019. It had 750 concurrent players.

It's my understanding that both Paizo and WotC release suppliments intended to be played by many smaller parties simultaneously, in the same instance.

I’ve done one of the Paizo modules that had around ~200 people playing. It was a lot of fun!