Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I do not like those legendaries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

loving lol if you pick versions based on the legendary instead of other version exclusives who aren't going to rot in a box forever

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

a glitch posted:

The only modern JRPGs I can think of that still use random battles are the Bravely series, Octopath Traveller and the Etrian Odyssey games. All of those are trying to be old school so it makes sense.

Even Dragon Quest ditched random encounters. When DQ is being more modern than a series chances are something is up with that series.

Also you can turn off random battles in bravely whenever you want

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

a glitch posted:

Good point, I think Octopath has the same option? Also EO has an icon that tells you how soon the next random encounter will be, which again is better than what Pokemon has been doing till now.

Unfortunately there is no such option in Octopath. One of the classes has a passive that reduces them but you can never turn them off completely.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Crosscontaminant posted:

The problem for me is that RPGs are (ideally) balanced around gaining experience from making forward progress, so giving people the option to skip random encounters is actually just giving people the option (worse, the default option) of making a bad decision which will negatively impact their experience later on, either because they run into a challenge they can't overcome or because they have to stop and do artificial grinding to catch back up. Pokemon half-solves the problem by making trainers a far better source of experience and relegating random encounters to a mechanism for finding new party members, so you can tune the experience by designing with the assumption the player fights every trainer rather than trying to eyeball the amount of natural grinding they'll do, but it leads to the frustrating Zubat experience when you don't design caves the same way you design outdoor routes with a place to walk which doesn't trigger random encounters.

In short, giving caves a form of wild grass you can opt not to walk into would entirely solve the problems people actually have with random encounters while retaining the mystery of what they'll encounter next.

Making a game harder because I'm somewhat underleveled when I want to be is a feature not a bug imo

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dias posted:

what if wooloo is version exclusive

why would Nintendo make the other version then since nobody is going to buy it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm a pretty casual pokemon player so the next game looks great to me since all the negative stuff seems to stuff I don't really care about

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Annath posted:

B. Even if you bought their excuse, what exactly have they spent that dev time on again? One fancy animation for one rarely used skill? If they were going to sacrifice a full National Dex for improved graphics, I'd expect the open world in the vein of Xenoblade 2, not "Hyrule Field a la N64".

Ew, please no

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kawabata posted:

"we didnt include pikachu to allow for more design space and better pvp balance"

Sounds good

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

qnqnx posted:

Personally, I think they are hiding that they are as a company less interested in developing the Pokemon mainlines and more into new IPs, namely, Town. There are only so many resources and time and Town is looking like it got the most focus.

So dev time is literally the actual reason then?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MoaM posted:

I feel like a lot of people would pay money for a Pokemon MMO with all the areas so far and random-rear end trainers or battle tower / battle tree / battle frontier / battle battle bishi bashi battle noun type stuff to do; if Pokemon Home turns into that, cool.

It could be a potential solution to any future grief over dev-time or cut Pokemon or w/e...

But I guess it would also be very hard to maintain for Nintendo? They don't have a good online gaming track record.

I can guarantee you that it will not turn into that

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

Nintendo can't take legal action but they sure can stop giving him the VIP treatment for events.

Those sites also use official pokemon artwork so Nintendo could also DMCA their rear end

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cake pokemon is cute, gigantamax being limited to some raid stuff is lame and version exclusive gym leaders is also lame

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

Here's what the thread's been for the past month, nonstop:

"Dexit bad."

"Dexit bad but I think the excuses are reasonable."

"Dexit bad and Game Freak is lazy."

"Dexit bad and another original joke about an unpopular Pokemon being culled."

"Dexit bad but we all need to chill."

"Dexit bad and Game Freak should be blown up lol jk"

"Dexit bad but so are the people who are threatening staff."

"Dexit bad but no one here's saying that."

"Dexit bad and any one who is annoyed with this convo is a capitalist pig."

Then someone finally changes the topic for half a page followed by

"Dexit bad."

I will literally take any other topic. Please give me a ten page argument about the best starter. I'm begging you.

Yeah I don't think this is severe enough to cause Germany to leave the European Union

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gamefreak is teaching good lessons to children by having corporations be evil

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Flopsy posted:

This but unironically.

I wasn't ironic either :colbert:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

iospace posted:

How dare Nintendo treat their employees like humans then. It's damned if they do, damned if they dont. If they demand the full dex, then guess what, they overwork their employees. If they don't, nerds everywhere meltdown.

Nerds will always meltdown

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm glad I do not give a poo poo about animations or older pokemon not being in the game because SnS looks cool

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

All I want is something kinda similar to SnS but with a lot more features, even at the cost of losing some lame gimmick. So Pokemon CB will probably be good

Pokemon hammer please. Simple but effective and satisfying.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nobody really cares about pokemon animations that much so why would they

Andrast fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 14, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also you could cut like the first bit of charge up animation and the large explosion at the end and it's be way better cause holy poo poo this is some gen 4 time wasting with animation.

True but you're going to turn them off anyway

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

For stuff like this, we won't know the graphical specifics until the game is out, but it'll be super interesting to find out.

The model thing is in fact one of the least interesting things in the world

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Random battles with wild pokemon have never even approached being interesting and I didn't miss them one bit in Let's go

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bleck posted:

Fire/Ice

How has this not been done

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nice rivals suck

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Flopsy posted:

This is literal gold plating. How is this supposed to compel me to buy early and not ask questions?

I'm not sure what questions you desperately need to ask about a pokemon game preorder

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Flopsy posted:

Is the game going to be any good for one? What does pokemon home entail? How many pokemon are we getting this gen? How fast does the gameplay flow/ is there lag?

Never mind any of that poo poo look we put gold lacquer on your backpack.

Yes it's a marketing post, not a comprehensive review of the game systems

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zore posted:

Most people you run into aren't doing the gym challenge though. They're mostly just like an office worker with his buddy pokemon, or a construction worker with his Machop who helps him carry stuff.

Pokemon world design is pretty naturalistic overall and there's a lot of stuff like Cheren in B/W2 or the Kanto gym leaders in G/S/C that point out gyms scale their challenge level to how experienced the challenger is and they have a wide roster of Pokemon. Very few people are actually following the gym order the player does, and very few people you fight are serious trainers period until like Victory Road.

Honestly even the fact you tend to have stronger random trainers in the late game seems like a gameplay concession so they you don't get swarmed with a bunch of dudes trying to use their cool level 10 Rattatas on you right before the 8th gym. And the reverse is also true because otherwise where are all the super strong dudes who should be hanging out around Viridian?

That construction worker should 5 more Machops

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

For_Great_Justice posted:

As for the randos like construction workers or cops with a growlithe would they actually bother fighting someone with 5 badges when they have a job to do? That makes less sense to me.

All people in the pokemon world are sadists who enjoy seeing their pets getting beat up

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Polteageist is good

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Bede looks down on people who use EXP share.

Nah Bede looks down on people who don't use exp share

anything to win

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

And LGP/E was basically babies first pokemon.

That's every pokemon

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I am not particularly looking forward to the horrifying intersection of bronies and those guys who draw Gardivor with giant tits.

lol if you think that doesn't already exist

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm totally going to name my ponyta Dongs now

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

less laughter posted:

Galarian Ponyta has officially been confirmed as mono Psychic, not Fairy.

Hell yeah I can run it with Galarian Weezing without doubling up on types

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

its clearly a fairy type. the pokemon company is OUT TO LUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's racist

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

aahhh!!ddium posted:

what's important to remember is that no one here knows what they're talking about at all when it comes to gamefreak or nintendo's intentions or reasoning for anything ever

I think they want to make money

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

maybe they just recognized the inherent lameness of the fire type

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nanigans posted:

I guess I'm about a hundred pages late to this, but Ponyta is Psychic and not Fairy? That's wild.

Yeah it's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

absolutely anything posted:

i like that game freak apparently took people going "we want fat pikachu" to mean "we want a pikachu that is fat"

they are right