Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

CODChimera posted:

What else would their motivation be? They've been cutting people up since the very first episode.

There are a lot of plausible theories that they are the good guys in the books. At the very least, Grum intends them to be multi-dimensional with complex motivations. But yeah, the White Walkers in the show are not The Others from the books. They are just boring ice zombies.

I haven't watched the show yet because I'm an effeminate European but I'm glad that all the stupid, lazy spoilers are true. At least it won't be dumber than that.

I'm also really glad that this stupid dumb show is over soon and that we can all move on with our lives and civilization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

Well there was a an actual Aegon who was Rhaegar/Elia's kid but who reportedly got his skull smashed in by the Mountain, and "Young Griff" is supposed to be him (but you're right, he's totally not)

IRC he is a Blackfyre, which is a cadet branch of the Targaryens. Everyone is extremely wary of the Blackfyres cause they plunged the realm into a huge succession war a long time ago. They are like the Westeros version of the Clintons, everyone hates the fuckers

It's unclear if Varys is aware of Aegon's real heritage, but Varys in the book is actually smart and capable so he very likely is but he doesn't give a gently caress and just needs someone to sit the throne who isn't a huge piece of poo poo and controllable

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lol, owned. Everyone hast been owned by this garbage show

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

People say d&d and the writers are idiots but we have been watching this dreck for the last three seasons so take a guess who the real idiots are

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

- Brenn digs up Tywin,s sperms and poisons Cercei with it, fulfilling the prophcy

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

The show (and the books) have that reputation but it's not really earned. How many times has a major character been killed suddenly and undramatically? Maybe the Red Wedding or Ned's execution but what else?

Karl Drogo comes to mind. He was supposed to mount the whole world. Also, Raeghar, who was the ~Prince that was Promised~. Tywin the mastermind. Also, Theon in Winterfell. Then Balon Greyjoy. Lysa Stark. Or Marcella. The show also killed Julien Bashier.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I was complaining about this to friends and they’re all like “duh what do you think the prequel is for” and I hate how right they are

This makes so much sense. IRC the spin-off is already in pre-production so they probably wanted to give their show runners a clean slate with the Night Kong( or didn't want to spoiler anything)

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 29, 2019

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Admiral Ray posted:

They were a metaphor for climate change, the inevitable doom resulting from past action beyond the control of those today, a sort of original sin.

People say that a lot, but has Grum ever commented on this interpretation? IRC the first books came out in the 90s when climate change was still a minor concern for most people. And the way the Others/White Walkers are portrayed is also not very consistent with the effects of climate change(more extreme weather, droughts, floods, food insecurity, social instability, accelerated animal and plant extinction, etc.) How are evil ice zombies a good metaphor for that?

e: in the books, there are no signs of the Others being created by the children or hmans or being somehow unnatural in general. There is no "sins of our fathers" element to them there

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 29, 2019

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Frog Act posted:

I mean, they're a force of nature that threatens to change the patterns of weather in a way that kills people, you can have metaphors or allegory without 100% unqualified parity between the things being compared. it's incredibly obvious

If it's a metaphor or allegory, it's an incredibly lovely one. The solution to the White Walkers is a united military effort and battle to the last man. The solution to climate change is a huge diplomatic effort, peaceful cooperation and a introspective readjustment of our life styles. The White Walkers are an intelligent, scheming and hateful evil. Climate change is an indifferent, unguided process. And so on.

They work much better as a metaphor for the rise of fascism in the 30s or modern day. Or the the Mongol invasion. Or a billion other things that are not climate change.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah I don't get why hbo let them keep running the show when they wanted out

This show shits money. the longer it runs under d&d, the more it shits *makes the money finger rubbing thing*

Mantis42 posted:

the metaphor works because, just like the night king, we can wait until the 11th hour to deal with climate change and the solution is actually simple and straightforward

I think this is unironically what technocratic centrism plans to do. Do nothing about climate change, fortify the developed countries, keep living the good life and let everyone else outside the fortress die. Once poo poo get too tough even inside the fortress, deploy aerosols, iron fertilization, etc.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The only purpose of the nightwatch for almost all of its existence was to police the wildlings and there are going to be wildlings again soon. People will move north again for the same reasons they moved there in the first place, for the same reasons they moved to Siberia. To settle unoccupied farming land, escape authorities, escape taxation or laws, trade, etc.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hotpie kills Cercei with an exploding pie that he made for the battle. but don't tell anyone, I signed an NDA. It's a secret

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ancient magic raised the wall and made it impassable for the wights. If anything, it was probably much easier to defeat the Others back then.

On the other hand, all the dates and tales are unreliable and hosed up so who knows what really happened the first time around. It's all just old testament stories and gree epic poems, but even more unreliable

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

Thought it was something like that but didn't know for sure since I never watched T2.

ffs, this is somehow the worst opinion in the thread and it's not even an opinion but a statement. you better watch t2 this weekend or I'm reporting your post

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ola posted:

Terminator 2 is as old now as Hitchcock's The Birds was when Terminator 2 came out.

Yeah but everyone on this dead gay forum is some ancient 40 something balding alcoholic so it's not an excuse

DrNutt posted:

You shouldn't be allowed to post in CD until you watch T2. mods????

Like, look at this guy^^^ he doesn't even know what forum he is in most of the time. first signs of dementia!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

lmao, everyone thought the night Kong had some kind of magic power when he hit the dragon with a spear from 2km away but turns out these idiots just think this is a real thing you can do. Shooting a ballista at a moving Target kilometers aways and hitting

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If the Three Eyed Raven is purely meant to be against the White Walkers, why would he ever get involved with Cersei? He might have the answers but it shouldn't matter to him.

I think book Bram peeps on people through the wirewoods so he can only see thing that happen or have happened at a certain distance from the trees. So he can see what's going on in king's landing but not on a boat or the rest of the southern kingdom cause all the tree there have been cut down.

Nobody has thought about this on the show and it will never be brought up why Bram doesn't help.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

ashpanash posted:

Point is, it doesn't matter what gurrrm says. He also said he was writing the latest book.

Guuurrm has less of a hold on this than anyone.

Probably fair to try to extrapolate what was on the dirty napkins Grumm gave to the show runners in the beginning. Like, Denny going full borderline makes no sense in the show but is built up in the books so it's very likely it was in the notes. Same for Jamie loving off to KL. Makes zero sense in the show, so probably came from Grumm's notes too.

I wonder why they even bother to follow the notes, instead of trying to come up with something that makes at least a tiny bit of sense for the mess they have created. Can't be contractual obligations. Why bother?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

ruddiger posted:

"I'm a generally healthy guy" lol okay George.

So I guess what that means is that he isn't getting treatment for his hypertension and cardiovascular problems? Dude is as good as dead.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Actually, the garbage show is so bad that I feel reverse closure now. Would have been better if they just had aborted after the bad pussy incident and waited forr Martin Grum to write his books, i.e. die having never written them.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Bloodraven Brynden Rivers the targ bastard who becomes the 3 eyed raven. I’m convinced he is bran, not that bran is “the raven” or whatever. Like it’s straight up him. It would explain why “bran” mentions Daeron’s wheelchair and said “I liked that one”, it would explain why he told Jon his parentage (Brynden was on the side of the legit Targs when the bastard rebellion happened)

He got them to kill the night king for him because for some reason the night king really hates him. Then he’ll get them to kill each other. He was warging right as the night king was next to him and based on the hodor stuff was very possibly changing something in the past to make sure the events play out the way they did

That’s why “bran” ends on the throne. I do actually think the show will gently caress that part up and put him on the throne for totally unrelated reasons like “they forgot about that whole thing”

:cmon:

There are two episodes left and the writers are idiots and incompetent. This is not gonna happen.

Always remember the motto of the show: "everything is exactly as dumb as it appears. there is nothing else going on"

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah, my uncle works at the Grum factory and he says the final book will have Mario and Luigi(he is the night king)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

the books being finished for years but GRRM not being able to publish them cause of his contract with HBO is incredibly dumb

so of course it's real

There were numerous statements from Grum about trying to stay ahead of the show, about him wanting Debate& Discussion to pause the show till he is finished, etc. Basically, that story makes zero sense any way you look at it it. It's just a dumb troll, joke or misunderstanding from the actor

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I have it on good authority that Grum finished both books in 2013 but then his 1992 piece of poo poo Pentium 2 croaked and took all the files with it, so he had to write the books again. And then this happened again in 2015 and 2018 so that's why the books are not getting finished. AMA

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I hope the next book comes out and it’s like 900 pages of Dany still in Meereen and like 20 new characters get introduced and the plot expands even more and nothing actually progresses forward.

This would be absolutely hilarious and subvert so many tropes.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Diabetic posted:

The supposed leak of Jon joining the Night's Watch again is the loving STUPIDEST thing. There's nothing to protect you dumb rear end if there's a giant loving hole there now. I hate the character of Jon, he does all these stupid decisions, he could have hosed Dany and it'd been fine but nope, gotta keep chugging along being a drat dumb rear end. Push rope you stupid gently caress and saved thousands.

I mean the sole purpose of the night watch for the last 8 thousand years was to police the wildlings. And there are always going to be wildlings cause there is farmland north of the wall but the terrain and distances make it impossible for a medieval state to effectively control that land, so you need a mobile ranging force to keep poo poo under control and defend against raids

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

It boggles the mind that someone would believe that Grum could ever finish another ASOIF book

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I can't wrap my head around how this is the episode where they needed to develop Dany into an insane villain but they still spend the first part on portraying her as totally reasonable and in the right. :wtc: Like, she was absolutely right about Jon betraying her. She was absolutely right about the consequences of him betraying her. And then this totally reasonable person just snaps, for absolutely no reason and goes on a killing spree. Wtffffff

I was always in the camp of her being a lovely ruler(basically being fantasy GWB) but this garbage came out of absolutely nowhere. She slaughtered children by the thousands. That's not Bush, Bush never went on a children shooting spree. That's the Aurora cinema nail ghost guy.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Could some other author write the two last books and then replace Grum's character names? How much do you need to change the setting for it not to violate IP rights? I'm ready to chip in on a Kickstarter. I need some kind of closure for ASOIF

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Man, I wish I owned the Star Wars franchise. Then I wouldn't have to work anymore. Lucky Disney

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

General Dog posted:

The funny thing is that if someone sat down and said, "let's take the things people liked about Game of Thrones and try to engineer a Star Wars out of it", they would basically end up with the prequel trilogy.

That's the hottest take. What character in the good parts of GOT remind you of Jar Jar Binks or Sand Anakin?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Coming is winter

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I hope that there will be such a huge backslash reaction to this season that Disney takes star wars away from these dimwit trust fund kids. Something about people acting so condescendingly and arrogant after making GBS threads all over the bed and the the couch just rubs me the wrong. gently caress D&D

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The children of the forest vaccinated Bram

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

iamsosmrt posted:

So after interest plummets in GoT, GRRM's going to be freed from all his burdens and ride off on a really strong white horse never to be seen again, right?

Grumm is the only real winner in this whole shitshow. He now looks like a literary genius in comparison to the show writers and there is zero pressure on him cause whatever he writes, it will be infinitely better than the show

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Slutitution posted:

I'm not reading the last 2k posts ITT so can somebody briefly explain what happens in the finale of this trainwreck of a season please

Bram gets elected president of westeros. Jon kills Danny and lives out the rest of his life as a wildling lumberjack in the northern North. Arya sails west to discover new continents.

I'm not kidding. This is not a joke.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

She's been east already so now she's going west. It's like poetry, it rhymes..very deep stuff, you wouldn't understand

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I have no idea how an elective monarchy is in any way "breaking the wheel". The Holy Roman Empire or the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth werr as bloody and brutal as any other part of Europe. They all guzzled the same peasant juice.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The throne is going to melt and all of the molten metal will spill out onto to the steps and then resolidify, making a handicap-accessible ramp up to where the throne was for Bran.

The bad throne behaves like the good wheel chair ramp, it's very symboligic. Like a theme.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

LLJKSiLk posted:

We're going ALLIN on the stupid ending.

Oh hell yeah, my body is ready for this dumb poo poo. Is this from a leak? It's doesn't look like it was taken on a set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I won't be able to watch this for a while so I wanted to wish everyone good luck for tonight! It's almost over. One last squeeze of the butthole and this turd disappears into the bowl forever and we are all free. Just as MLK envisioned