Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Adults complained about kids' sagging trousers in the early 80s. From literature it's obvious they've been doing it at least since the 1800s, probably longer.

They can still be Hitlers while doing it but it's also a time-honoured tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Speaking of hairstyles, was there a name for that women's hairstyle trend where it would be pulled back, sometimes in a ponytail but maybe just held back with clips or something, but then the very front was sort of "poofed up", if you know what I mean?

I feel like Paris Hilton and Kelly Clarkson ALWAYS had that style in the early 2000's.

Wouldn't that be a kind of pompadour?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax_N4d0Efb0

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

wesleywillis posted:

What ring tones did you download in the 2000s?
I knew people who seemed to have new ones every week.
I only ever downloaded one.

It was: Nelly, Grillz.

The theme from Ein Fall für Zwei. Synth tracks worked so much better than other kinds of music because they were played on a synth anyway.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Thermos posted:

I remember super annoying DRM becoming a thing in the 2000s. Like Starforce or whatever that one was that would gently caress up your PC, games that required constant internet connection for no other reason than DRM, music CDs that wouldn't play in a PC, etc.

To this day I haven't found a CD player or optical drive that could play my copy of Mando Diao's Bring 'Em In, except for a player in a Toyota Corolla my sister had for like six months.

I really liked this song :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jmxyjrza5E

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

NOFX = "some obscure punk band" lol

but yeah I get it, the video is focusing on pop/mainstream music.

NOFX was mainstream pop music to anyone who was alive at the time and had a radio or TV.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The 2000s were dozens and dozens of Hollywood movies that "everyone" watched and I just couldn't be arsed. Mostly because about 100% of them starred Tom Hanks, somehow. (Wilson there reminded me.)

e: That was also the 1990s.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

A friend of mines wife loved reality shows, so when I was at their place it was the only exposure I had to them. They were all so boring. People just sniping at each other and plotting, then maybe some boring to watch activity (Hold only this pole and whoever lasts the longest wins!). At least American Idol you get to hear music.

Also, reality shows reminded me a lot of wrestling, how everyone always over sold everything.

Speaking of the 00s and reality television:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2M3ykUPbjc

I remember thinking I had tuned into the middle of a bad comedy show but the sketch just kept going on and on.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z4gYW5nnBE

e: No person on the planet knows what he's saying in the first piece.

The second one goes
"Can I say my thing?"
"Why yes you can. That's what I'm hoping for!"
"Immatheguywhodidthe cop murders."

e: Oh apparently he's a sort of drunk youtube celebrity nowadays and lives in the suburb I grew up in :eyepop:

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 10:39 on Jul 22, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FinnDiesel posted:

I speak fluent drunken finnish, he says in the first piece "You know Davor Suker and the other one is Jeremy Roenick, nothing else"

You will receive a telephone call. This isn't a warning. T: regards A2 yellow.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

hey ya is a good karaoke song

My local pub has karaoke every god drat day 17-02, and 09-02 on the week-end, and I can tell you without any doubt that there are no good karaoke songs.

e: LIKE WHY THE gently caress IS HE SINGING "BIG IN PAJAN" IT'S JAPAN IT'S NOT AN OBSCURE COUNTRY WHAT THE gently caress IS HAPPENING CAN I KILL HIM?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

ive only been to karaoke in japan, karoke in the west seems to be usually in public in front of strangers and uh why would you do that

To make yourself the most hated person in the block? That fucker Jesse once sang 4 hours down at the pub without a mic. He sang into a straw. And then the owner wonders why people are walking one more block to the next nearest pub that has banned karaoke and anything that makes a ruckus.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Sounds like you're kinda jealous of this Jesse fellow's lung capacity.

If you only knew

what I would do
to make you make you love me
yeeaaaaaaaAAAAAÄAÄÄAÄAÄAÄAÄAÄAÄÄAÄAÄAÄAÄÄAÄAÄAÄAÄÄAÄAÄAÄA

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

In case anyone didn't know already, the chorus is from "Rapper's Delight".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKTUAESacQM

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tiggum posted:

It really doesn't. You get absolutely no control over how anything is cropped or laid out.

And whether or not an image link even shows the picture is a complete crapshiit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HonorableTB posted:

I found the Final Fantasy VIII comedy fanfiction I wrote in 2001 when I was 11, still preserved on my fanfiction.net account. I was funnier as a literal child than I am now

Whenever I find my old doodles I feel sad because I was way better at drawing than I am now.

Not good, but a lot better.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Violet_Sky posted:

One joke that didn't age well: slutty teen girls get raped up the butt on Myspace.

This was just an edgy non-incel thing to say and it's pretty :stonk: now.

wät

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah my space (my Myspace) was all about shity bands and their musics?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

je1 healthcare posted:

Music sales peaked in the year 2000 and fell dramatically every year after until recently.

No-one has money.

In 2000 people still had a bit of money.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They should've stuck with elevators.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Young people with dumb hot takes, part the infinity.

Nobody tell her what happened after Pearl Harbor, she might go catatonic.

You think she doesn't rember?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

I worked in a public library in the 2000s, and the number of patrons who would patiently wait their turn for an hour on the internet only to blow it on get-rich-quick sites and forums was something else.

I mean, that's a tendency that was and will always be true, but there was something so bumbling and unpolished about shysters online figuring out how to adapt their grifts as the "I have and use an email address" demographic expanded.

Choosing that over an hour-long wank? Incredible. (A Welsh guy I know got banned from the library for punching some dude who was having a nice library wank on the computer next to him and his little daughter.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A co-worker had a metrosexual boyfriend and his clothes were always ugly and his balding was terrible.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Argyle posted:

I've been slowing re-reading Achewood over the past few months and imho it really holds up (aside from the earliest strips where it was still finding its voice). Some of the references are outdated of course, but a lot of the strips were still making me laugh 20 years later.

It does a lot of the Dave Sim -type burrowing-into-its-own-rear end in a top hat orthography shenanigans that I hate, but only occasionally. And as far as I know, Frank Achewood never went insane like Dave Sim.

I'm thinkin, for instance, of the couple with the chinchillas.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Der-Wreck posted:

Holy they have the superfecta: GameCube, XBOX OG, PS2 and Dreamcast!

And a Wavebird. I bet the GC is connected to the TV via component video, too.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I never got to degauss a monitor :smith:

In the Summer of 2001 I worked at a company that did gaussing. We'd go into people's homes and offices and just gauss the poo poo out of those VDUs. A few times we almost got caught but we always had an armed guard with us and a clean-up crew on standby outside in a Hemmon Kuljetus van, so the people who saw us just disappeared.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 09:09 on Sep 11, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

You could almost say it was your own personal......................................................................................... 9/11. :grin:

9/11 was America's 9/11.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ACKCHUALLY, Simpsons merely shows that capitalism is bad. State-owned nuclear power is fine.
:goonsay:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

In what episodes of the Simpsons are state institutions portrayed positively?

America doesn't have state institutions. Capitalists de facto own them all.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

I bleached my hair to look like Eminem in the seventh grade.

A bit weird. Also, how do you know what Eminem looked like in the seventh grade?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

credburn posted:

I just always felt that Backstreet Boys were clearly the superior boy band, but everyone seemed to love N*Sync and Justin's weird yellow hair

That's not how you spell XL5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kio2_hnABl0

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wasn't Take That the successful one anyway?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

I feel like that happened around the same time Fabio was filming a commercial on a rollercoaster and got hit in the face with a bird.

Apparently that was 99.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjAYxpXUklc

I remember he was on Conan (not Barbarian, the unfunny one) and joked that it wasn't a bird it was a beaver. It was not a funny joke so it fit right in the show.

e: Did I hallucinate or did Fabio play the pope in a Sharknado movie?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Happy Landfill posted:

My first dirtbag boyfriend had a blue one of these that he wore everywhere

I thought he looked so good :cripes:

Flame beanie and fast shades was peak masculinity.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Heath posted:

It's just weird to think about that the lovely portable version is 1/3 more expensive than a PC version even though it makes total sense (I'm sure the market share of HP fans is much higher on the portable Nintendo system)

How do you know the Gameboy version isn't much better than the PC version? They're going to be different games altogether and it happened quite often.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

People have Brunkeberg Bears'd themselves into thinking "licensed" games were poo poo back in the day.

No, computer games were absolute dogshit back in the day. Only maybe half a dozen decent or good games were released every year. Some of them even were "licensed". Like Dallas Quest.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I think Colin McRae Rally cost 429 marks when I bought it. A Sony Play Station home computer video game console cost maybe 1 995 marks?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I remember buying an issue of a foreign magazine with game reviews (Zzap 64) for the first and last time. I was looking at the scores and reading the reviews and going "what the heck I KNOW this game is dogshit and they gave it a 90? How can they print this?!?" With the domestic rags you might have had to wait a bit because game publishers would make all sorts of insane demands to send them preview copies so the reviews only came out after the game was released publicly, but you never had to worry about being left with a lemon if you trusted a review. And who the gently caress bought games at launch anyway, you bought them when they hit the bargain bins.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It honestly blows my mind to see a modern portable disc drive, with a burner no less, because they're barely larger than a CD case now. :allears:

I have a Windows 95 laptop and the CD-ROM drive on that isn't much bigger than nowadays. (You can pop it out and put it in an external enclosure, because there's only one drive bay.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My experience with them was mostly 5.25 tower drives (both in-PC and shoved in an external enclosure) back in the day, so seeing a modern standalone one being just so tiny is neat to me.

The main difference is they're all dirt cheap now, but then anything small was expensive.