Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Aristophanes: hilarious on the page, brain-melting when the actors have strap-ons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

PittTheElder posted:

The Storm Before The Storm. All about the causes of Sulla's Civil War, and why the Roman Republic was bleeding to death long before Gneaus, Marcus, and Julius came along.

mike Duncan is bad OP. his take is that those crazy gracchi, boy they sure took things too far by not respecting :decorum:

whereas Plutarch makes it abundantly clear that no matter how good and non-disruptive the Gracchan proposals were, the rich rear end in a top hat senators weren’t going to give the people jack poo poo

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
in fairness duncan assigns a lot of blame to the senate, but he also frames the elder gracchus violating the mos maiorum as when things started to go badly, leading him to say both sides are bad actually. he has a similar Simon-schama-rear end centrist take on the French revolution because he doesn’t understand class dynamics

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

You have been PROSCRIBED.

Justice will arrive shortly at your location.
For your comfort, we recommend you compliantly follow the example below:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Flavius Aetass posted:

Most historians aren't doing research as to whether or not a ship sunk.

what about the White Ship?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Flavius Aetass posted:

scientifically, according to this contemporary image

the ship was much too small for four people

“sorry for party rocking”

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
this is more medieval than ancient, but...

Emma of Normandy: History’s Greatest Skank?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

etalian posted:

The only way to beat the Romans was to use one weird trick like convincing it was a good idea to send a column through the Teutoburg Forest

or starve the armed goths at Adrianople

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Squalid posted:

I love crazy local myths and folklore

Here's the "history" of the founding of the Kingdom of Minangkabau in modern Indonesia

pre-colonial Malaysia seems to have had a very. . . fuzzy understanding of western history. There's a bunch of stories like this

There's even a movie where a Roman prince marries a Chinese princess in Malaysia for some reason. Looks kind of awesome tbh:

The Malay Chronicles: Bloodlines

makes more sense than the Aeneid

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

twoday posted:

Even when I say "The West" or "Western Civilization" or "The Middle East" I am using language that is rooted in the idea that Jerusalem is the center of the universe. I still use "The West" because I don't know a better way to express that idea that is short and understandable to everyone else

Occident

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Ghostlight posted:

Occident is still the same idea it just moves the centre from Jerusalem to Rome.

also you sound like a prick if you use it as a bonus

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
An Abderite is dreaming that he is selling a pig and he is asking 100 denarii for it. Someone is offering 50 but he won’t take it. At that point, he wakes up. Then keeping his eyes shut, he holds out his hands and says ‘Oh well, OK, give me the 50’.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I think Caligula had irony poisoning and used the horse to mock how bad the senators were but the dipshit historian senators wrote him straight, unaware that he was both “on one” and “doing a bit.”

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

twoday posted:

Sertorius was cool as hell

:hai:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

twoday posted:

How Sertorius came to be worshiped as a demi-god by his ragtag army of Berbers and Iberians after being exiled in North Africa:

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Plutarch/Lives/Sertorius*.html

the original Big Boss

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
has anyone figured out how to make Greek fire yet?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

twoday posted:

yes, the greeks

oh please they can’t even make a balanced budget

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

twoday posted:

the great plague of london

that’s still going, the English still live there

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
both them and me would quickly die from strange diseases

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
didn’t they have ledgers?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

twoday posted:

Maybe the fact that the daughter is fishing out three obols from the mouth with her tongue while the standard rate for a prostitute is three obols is maybe some kind of implication that Philocleon's daughter is a prostitute?

Is that a joke? What passed for a joke back then?

Aristophanes works; a lot of other humour is kind of racist but not because we don’t know what it means to be Thracian (or we’re all Thracian)

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

when dudes are rockin’

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

interesting look at the middle ages live animal trade

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
bring back the claudian letters

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
jesus also had tremendous posting energy

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Drunkboxer posted:

Just finished this. rip Menocchio, blabbed about books he read so much he was tortured and burned alive

he makes more sense than the church metaphysics, that’s why he had to die

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I preferred Candide tbh

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Ardent Communist posted:

Could be for putting on the back of your head so you don't get attacked by animals. ;)

magpies are too smart for this lol

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Uglycat posted:

So I've shared the scraps of rumors I heard with anyone that would listen, and they'd often add some other bit that fleshed things out.

this is the Herodotus method isn’t it?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
dying from a combination of ague, grippe and dropsy

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

“lets just set up a system where everyone retires so i can go raise cabbages on my villa. i am a very smart imperator.”

it’s a pretty sweet villa

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Real hurthling! posted:

when the senator paid a pleb family for an adoption and then bought the tribunate election to allow optimate laws to pass unblocked it must have felt a lot like being a modern cspamer to the politics addicts of the time

that guy (p clodius pulcher) had massive cspam energy

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
pescennius n****

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

took a while but I enjoyed this series

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Some Guy TT posted:

but thats really not an argument that can be plausibly drawn from the original offending article because the author clearly seems to believe that its good that incels are being told to gently caress off because theyre bad people who deserve it and women when given free agency in romantic relationships dont make bad choices

they’re right OP

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
edward the confessor whined about his mother, was too nice to the people that killed his bro and a dick to his wife. the only good thing he did (set up the normans) was an indirect result of him promising the crown to anyone he could

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
she has a roman nose tho

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Slavvy posted:

Doesn't that person have a history of scalding hot history takes?

the last part of that article uses a jacket in the all quiet on the western front remake to ask whether wwi was the first holocaust, so yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Pistol_Pete posted:

I like to imagine an alternative Britain where England never happened

me too