Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I don't know what this is (is it a ferret?), but it is :kimchi: as hell, and seems to have better planning skills than SC has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Holy poo poo, I've always heard people say a cat can fit through anything its head can but this is the first time I've actually seen that in practice :allears:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kesper North posted:

I'd play Assassin's Creed: Star Wars, gently caress it.

Please don't give your money to the rape company.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sample_text posted:

"Star Control/X-com, but with smut"

Wait what

explain

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

bandaid.friend posted:

I like the spaceship on the right, the one that looks like a duck

Ah, yes, the Skull Cruiser!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

There is a story here, and I want to hear it :stare:

Getting back on topic, I was cleaning up my image folders this weekend and I found (kinda NSFW) these pics, and I couldn't help but wonder "drat, how much money would Citizens have saved if these were around in 2012?".

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

:stare:

Is it possible to learn such power?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kikas posted:

Yeah how come there's no card/boardgame and/or tabletop RPG?

Honestly, I think an SC-esque TTTRPG might be cool, but what can it being to the, well, table that other games haven't already?

EDIT: What I mean to say is that if an SC tabletop game ever came out, why would I want to play that over, say, Rogue Trader?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kikas posted:

Just play Coriolis. It's a great Space TTRPG with a neat and interesting setting, that's also not dominated by white men!

Never heard of it before this post, but now that I've done some Googling, I absolutely must have this game :allears:

Zero_Grade posted:

So yeah, I agree with your assessment that it could exist, but there's no real niche for it.

Exactly! Rake away all the nebulous, unfulfillable promises of SC, and what you're left with is something shallower than a Saturday morning cartoon. There is literally no reason for SC to exist than to provide daydream fodder, and you don't need to mortgage a house to do that!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

no_recall posted:

Unfortunately they're probably one of the earlier hires that believe in CR's dream and watching all this unravel before their eyes without understanding that money is transferred from ship sales into their salary.

This is the really dumb thing for me, especially since that guy apparently has enough brain cells to formulate coherent English sentences. SC relies on the presence of whales more than any other game, even gacha games, and as such catering to the whales' power fantasies is paramount. You WANT those guys to feel like superheroes so they can keep funding their fix, and stuff like long and involved crafting, PVP where trolls and griefers can shatter that illusion, and the harsh death punishments discussed a few posts ago will get in the way of that. How someone can apparently be a dev and not see that is crazy.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kikas posted:

Taxxe: kitten I found when visiting my parents last time

Is it all right? :ohdear:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

OH NO :stonk:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Popete posted:

I'm turning into a QAgent believer

:same:

When are we storming CIG's offices?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zil posted:

Wait gremlins are real?

Gremlins, and Skaven. Crossposting from the Schadenfreude thread:

Fishstick posted:

It's the easiest way to get what essentially looks like a pet Skaven

https://i.imgur.com/ggJ2uzq.mp4

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

What kind of cat is this?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Blue On Blue posted:

The system tony is building is so advanced it will generate its own voice lines , by the power of quanta !!!

Wasn't this already proposed/planned? I'm getting some major deja vu reading your statement.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

peter gabriel posted:

Yup, and the reason it isn't funny even though it should be is that it feeds and attracts a certain kind of backer, that CI¬G can't see this is insane to me.

There is of course an even worse possibility: CIG is aware and either doesn't give a poo poo, or actively leans into it since it has been anecdotally proven that fascists are idiots.

JugbandDude posted:

And also implies that ALL children follow the same warrior path.

Who reads books to actually maintain their spaceships?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

snail posted:

You know what SC needs? Ship wrecking yards and a game play loop of disassembling them. We should totally propose this thing that has never been done gets added to the now secret roadmap.

Didn't some Citizen propose something like that? I distinctly remember some dreams.txt chat about that sort of thing, where some dude and his buddies would make a space-living scrapping ships.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, that wasn't a meltdown, that was a catalogue. I only wish there were links and/or summaries of the stuff, because it all sounds absolutely :allears: and I only got into learning of this shitshow sometime in 2019 or thereabouts.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pixelate posted:

Some of it is here

Thread recap

Aw yeah nice! Thanks!

The Titanic posted:

The one sq404 "demo" they showed a few years back was this convoluted mission where it ended up turning into a rescue mission to save a female pilot from pirates or something. Because naturally women weak, man strong, is the best way to get a good demo out the door that appeals to everyone.

Considering that SC's audience doesn't seem to have advanced since 2002-ish, this is brilliant marketing actually :colbert:

Seriously though, was this pre- or post- Stimpire? Because if it is the latter, that's all kinds of disturbing that they decided to go through with it anyway.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

trucutru posted:

Got any money? No? There are 3 ships available to you

Holy poo poo, I looked up the Javelin and it costs 3000 United States dollars to purchase :stare:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

cirus posted:

It's been said before but it's almost certainly either just made up or money laundering.

A more 'optimistic' (for lack of a better word) take on it is that CIG is farming out a lot of side work- all those artists, developers, software engineers, artists, mocap technicians and artists could actually be an asset to other studios who don't really need those kinds of work done full-time. I can certainly see a smaller studio contacting a CIG shell company to commission 3d models of starships for their own space-themed game, for example.

Mind you, I only say that because I look forward to the day I lol my rear end off to the goddamn moon when it's revealed that CIG did the spaceships and model work for Subverse.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Titanic posted:

I think crewing could totally work.

Cig just has to make it... you know, fun.

Like just standing in a hallway while other people are doing things is probably not cool. You need to engage your players.

Unfortunately, player engagement is somewhere last on CIGs list of work to focus on. So hopefully the graphics and 8K textures will keep your crew around.

:shrug:

I'm not sure that can do this, even if they really had all the talent, resources and progress they claim to have. I'm strongly reminded of the sci-fantasy game Starfinder, where PCs are encouraged to have ship roles, each supposedly with their own set of options to use in space combat. In reality, you're usually stuck doing the same thing again and again every starship combat, especially if you're the gunner, and two of the Chief Engineer's five potential options can only be used if your PCs have well and truly hosed up, while another two need the player to spend rare personal resources (which might not be a problem in a space sim, I'll grant you). Still, for anyone outside the captain and/or pilot, I don't really see much fun being had if you're a starship's crew.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zero_Grade posted:

Safety features and common courtesy are banned in the Stimpire!

You know, that's got me wondering- what set the Stimpire guy off? Was there some kind of 'Lets write fanfic!' thread or something? Was someone asking about potential empires in the void? It just seems too crazy to just pop up.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I dunno man; if you can come up with something that makes 40K look like Sesame Street 'on a whim', you might need to go outside for a bit.

Thoatse posted:

The only reason they even have any hope at this point is precisely because they can’t even give a glimpse into the actual state of the game right now

Yep, it's a Schrodinger's Game scenario- as long as the waveform hasn't collapsed through an actual game being released or anything being set in stone, then the game exists in whatever state an individual backer can imagine.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Walrus posted:

look I can't even hate on middle row mid-left's neckbeard. that is incredible.

Dude in the black shirt, right*? Put that guy in robes and I will believe he can cast spells, no problem.

*Then again, it can be argued that the majority of SC supporters are blackshirts on the right.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Dunno if anyone's posted this yet, but the algorithm coughed this up for me. It's a dude who's somehow never heard of SC playing it for the first time :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CryKMSG-FQY

Seriously though, for all that Citizens hype up how this is the best game ever with a playerbase growing by leaps and bounds, you'd think that a dude with more than half a million subs (which seems quite respectable to me) would've heard of it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

lobsterminator posted:

I started a playthrough with Sim Settlements 2 mod a few months ago, but I ended up feeling it was not that fun. It's a great feat technically. It adds totally new things to FO4 like cutscenes. And it's hilarious in how they wrote the dialogue to work with the existing player character lines, so it's bad, but funny bad.

I ended up uninstalling it and starting a new playthrough with just some of the expanded building tools so you can build your own houses better. Sim Settlements was more about having the towns build themselves following templates.

Hah, I'm the exact opposite; the only thing that helped me through Fo4 was Sim Settlements 2. I liked the building minigame, but it really bummed me out that all I managed to make were either concrete bunkers or prefab shacks. With SS2 though, it felt good to provide for my settlers and see them upgrade their rickety shacks into massive mansions with all kinds of knickknacks and flavour gribblies inside them. There were times I'd just spend an hour or two invading my settlers' privacy and peeking into their houses and shops :3:

Thoatse posted:

Especially the ones with acid for blood

I would and you would, no use denying it :colbert:

Chronojam posted:

One Sim Settlements feature is to also, on game start, have a bunch of settlements auto build. It takes like ten minutes and you can pick and choose various settings or leave some random.

It makes trucking it to Corvega more interesting when the drive-in theater might be a small town or raider outpost when you arrive. Or even just discovering the Church of Atom lives in Sanctuary when you first roll out of the vault start.

Naturally you can take them over, expand them, etc from the starting point you find.

And OF COURSE I find out about this feature after I uninstall Fallout 4 to make way for Wasteland 3. Is this for SS2 or the original Sim Settlements, and if it's for the former, how do I enable it in the Vault?

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 23, 2022

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Titanic posted:

Pretty sure a lot of what we're seeing is tons and tons of work going into making a splinter-company more dedicated to cgi in movies, and they are just shoehorning it into star citizen as some "progress evidence" even though it has very little importance in a space game.

Yeah, that's my thought on how they're making money too, that and doing grunt work for other companies- after all, you might not need to have a full motion-capture suite running at all times, so might as well call up CIG and have them do a one-off for you. Or maybe you need some CGI work done for an ad or something, so you might have them on your Rolodex as well.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Forget your turbo-basic tracks, the one piece of music to perfectly encapsulate SC, from Kickstarter to today, is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAwyWkksXuo

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kesper North posted:

IIRC this was part of why the Feds freaked out so hard on Steve Jackson Games back in the day.

:stare: Is there any more you've got on this? Or at least some search terms I ought to Google?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Thoatse posted:

The Smartening

Wonderful :allears:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

Ships bought ingame aren't real. :(

:tinfoil: theory: CIG actually does tweak the stats of ships that players actually buy to make them slightly OP in some way, incentivizing people to buy more. Yeah, I know it's 99.999% a placebo effect, but some lizard part of my brain is telling me it's plausible.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Not sure how many citizens played it tho, due to being forced to play as a *gasp* black person.

You know, this makes me wonder- was there any kind of controversy about this? You'd think that all the TRVE GΛMERS we have around these days would have raised a stink about CJ, but I can't recall anything controversial about San Andreas.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kikas posted:

The main controversy was Hot Coffee tho, with Rockstar being the culprit.

Oh man, I can't believe I forgot about Hot Coffee. Yeah, I guess social media wasn't much of a thing back then, was it? Still, I suppose there should have been something at least.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I just wish they went with bearded Gunner Wright version for the redesign so that we'd have a sexy bear Isaac Clarke but oh well...maybe if they remake 2. :iiasb:

Yeah, that's my unironic sorta-complaint too- Isaac looks okay, but compared to how Gunner Wright looks now, he looks like a schoolboy.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, which is why bearded Gunner would match Isaac's looks so much better now; I guess he was clean-shaven the day they decided to take photos of him to model or whatever they do. But hey, it's EA- they'll probably include Bearded Isaac in a DLC :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'll be perfectly honest- I forgot there was even supposed to be aliens in the game. I had to be reminded by the previous few posts that this wasn't some kind of Second Life-type game with space shooty bits :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

dr_rat posted:

Just make it "lore" that the cleaning robots actually have human brains and are slave who are in robot bodies so they can work forever and don't need sleep.

The fact that this is incredibly stupid will be overlooked due to it being appropriately grimdark.

Dunno if you've heard about them, but 40K servitors have been a thing for a while. Have some original ideas, man! What could be more original than having a flesh and blood human being do the drudgework for you?