Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Dr. Killjoy posted:

so what the gently caress killed the webcomics “renaissance” exactly? like a couple dozen creators who could actually draw and craft a joke managed to gain some prominence, fastforward and now the genre is beholden to the dystopian social media reblogging trends of poo poo worse than newspaper comics ever were

what comics were good

genuine question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

achewood never had good art and had a few years of being good and funny before divorce and alcoholism forced took its toll

end achewood after philippe comes back from his mom's, delete everything after that, there's nothing good there

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Dr. Killjoy posted:

morning squirtz, klurfs, goblins

https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Mr. Dick posted:

The panel where Teodore kisses Penny is the apex of the strip. Fast Times had the line "Anything is possible in a nice van". Also the Street Roots one busts Mr. Dick up every time he reads it, though that's probably just because he's lived in Portland.

wow

okay, so, phillipe going back to his mom is the perfect arc to end on because it's literally wrapping up something from the very beginning, there's a clear emotional arc, a climactic action when he talks to his dead dad, and the falling action of everybody realizing that no, he belongs back with teodor and cornelius because that's home.

fast times is entirely about torturing teodor, who is onstad's honest self insert. there's nothing redeeming about it because nice pete has never been anything more than a weird character and having him commission the torture act on anyone doesn't add anything.

then you have the weird 'ray gets sober and hallucinates everything' arc where onstad has completely forgotten how to voice any of his characters. the one redeeming part of this is when drugged up detoxing ray uses the scrabble tiles to spell out "I HAVE A PRINCE ALBERT"

then about five comics over the span of eighteen months where nobody has a consistent voice, culminating in the horrible penny arc where onstad plays crustpunk pygmalion and attempts to express the concept that he's a gen-x burnout who hosed up everything in the name of artisan soda, but it doesn't come off as heartfelt as philippe's revelation that home is a time, not a place. it's just pathetic.

then a few more strips with the occasional joke, finally ending with everybody discovering weed

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Lol my mom is both really conservative and an avid reader of thriller trash but even she got to teeth of the tiger and was like "uh so the presidents friends just have a literal blank check to murder anyone they dont like? What?"

conservative is confused by and balks at reality, film at 11

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Serf posted:

the rapping is extremely bad tho. its like barely above sugar hill gang poo poo and at least they were good

The people are asking to hear my voice ..

For the country is facing a difficult choice.

And if you were to ask me who I’d promote …

Jefferson has my vote.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Last Temptation of Christ as "crime flick" has to be a joke right

crimes are committed, a man is sentenced to death, checks out

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

wait wait let me see if i can guess what it was through half remembered pop culture headlines i saw several years ago

did the whole thing just devolve into a bizarre rapture allegory where the cylons thought they were taking orders from god and maybe they were maybe they werent but the closer the show got to the end the less it actually seemed to matter

also starbuck is jesus and the cylons eventually learned how to make babies with people and then they settled a planet while giving up all their technology and it turns out that this planet was EARTH SO WE WERE THE CYLONS ALLLLL ALONNNNNG

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

galagazombie posted:

Vetinari seems like the embodiment of that liberal fantasy to live under the boot of a right-wing big strong technocrat manly man who you don't like personally, but he makes the trains run on time! And most importantly he upholds decorum.

decorum is not high on vetinari's priorities. vetinari cares about results, which is why the majority of his interactions involve pissing people off or putting people into messy situations and trusting that they'll unfuck it for him.

vetinari is less of a character and more of a deus ex machina with some endearing decorations.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

the biggest problem with pratchett is that he's a firm believer in "if the right people control the levers of power, everything will work out in the end"

bad leaders in the city and guilds get exposed, they get removed, things improve slightly, and the world modernizes a bit. a new crisis happens because of the modernization, old leaders who don't change with the times are removed and replaced by a person or system that does work, things improve slightly, the world modernizes a bit more, and so on.

he absolutely acknowledges that the right person is a function of both time and place, but he still needs the right person in the end

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

if nothing else, pratchett was a huge believer in the overall goodness of people. there's only a few characters who are 100% unredeemable and monstrous, and pratchett doesn't linger on them: he introduces them, touches very briefly on why they're abominations, and gets rid of them unceremoniously.

compare in Night Watch: how he deals with carcer versus how he deals with the office on Cable Street

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

You're in the kitchen, walking alone by yourself, when all of a sudden you look down and see a peach. It's laying on it's back, fully ripened. You could eat the peach, but you're not doing it. Why aren't you eating the peach?

because my wife makes mean comics about me if i do

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Synec-douche, New York

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

loquacius posted:

I don't know how they make a coherent Community movie at a point where, eg, Annie is 39 years old

just keep sending characters off screen until it's just jeff and abed voicing the two sides of dan harmon's brain

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

loquacius posted:

I think the implication is that the ghosts are now the lawful owners, so the question is how opportunist are these ghosts

well, they're now members of the boogeoisie

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

SNL had some good bits in the 90s.

WARLORDS

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

skooma512 posted:

So country-adjacent music with a simple beat and emphasis on percussion then?

can't be actual drums

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm pretty sure there are some fun as heck movies in the 30-50% fresh range, possibly the most interesting ones

you are correct

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/southland_tales

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Each Sunday, Pitchfork takes an in-depth look at a significant album from the past, and any record not in our archives is eligible. Today, we revisit a classic tune that has charted for over 3000 years. This song was performed acapella in the time of the Pharaohs, Babylon and Rome, went acoustic with The Spanish Inquisition and Russia's Pale of Settlement, and Hitler took the song electric.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

YaketySass posted:

Ancient civs had "Jews control the world" conspiracy theories?

wouldn't you start asking questions after everybody you know loses their firstborn son and work force and the ocean drowns your country's army?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Chuck was one of the few popular authors at the time writing about gender and sexuality from a male perspective that wasn't toxic. The fact that such a voice was so rare made him a lot more popular.

it was absolutely still toxic, just couched in levels of irony and detachment

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

indigi posted:

so you have to be a criminal and then get jumped in to the gang. of good guys. lol

lol

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

remember how much poo poo lena dunham got (and still gets) for her looks? and being naked frequently on Girls? it's prob be insane to read back on some of the contemporaneous reviews and chatter around that show (which i will stand by as a good-to-great series)

source your quotes

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Jazerus posted:

gladiator 2? hollywood's creatively bankrupt remake/sequel fixation is reaching back to loving gladiator??? what's next, glory 2?

shawshank redemption 2, andy dufresne is now the prison warden

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

loquacius posted:

ooh ooh I've got one, Casablanca 2, and instead of French people and Nazis it's Ukrainians and Russians

libs lining up out the door on opening night

technically casablanca was already a sequel

casablanc > casablanca > casablancaga

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

give us the rest of the southland tales story

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

While many of you are likely yelling "Go Na'Vi!" or "Go Humans!" I'm telling "Go Spider, the human friend of Jake and Neytiri's children!"

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

There's a Starship Troopers thread in The Film Dump. It's pretty funny

why does that forum still exist

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

the implication is that the ivy league and other institutions that used to wield power still exist but are useless because they're not directly part of the federation

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Xaris posted:

that’s not really DFWs thing. you can watch his lecture for the graduating class at Kenyon university in 2004 for a better understanding of the guy, and it’s a good lecture. I think it’s called This Is Water. I’m on my phone and it’s hard to link things but he specifically rails against being jaded goony guy

I mean sort of his earlier stuff alike Iowa State Faire or Maine Lovster Festival or Cruise Ships suck; but that’s not even really controversial because they do suck

DFW desperately doesn't want to be the jaded goony guy but he has no actual answer to the "so how do we make this suck less" problem that his writing raises

he can write about mental illness and substance abuse, and create monty python absurd situations, but he can't turn any of that into something more than "welp, that sucks, and scene"

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i don't think DFW would have gotten anywhere by reading marx

his big selling point was an overly complicated and intricate world of broken things that can't be fixed as a counterpoint to the overly simple we're just going to fix the world by helping message of the end of history mid-90s. the whole reason he makes it into literary canon is because he reinforces that you can't fight the system so you should just do drugs and die quietly about it

you show him the underlying causes and offer a solution and his writing either doesn't happen or ends up panned to the point of crankhood

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

episode 8 reveals this is actually a slur

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

DoombatINC posted:

the whole thing with Scream is that theyre meta riffs on horror movies and the fandom, the killers in the franchise look like theyre wearing stuff from the halloween aisle of the drug store because they are

not a great knife prop though

it's scream, that's a fake knife and it's not the real killer

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

is this spider, human friend of jake and neytiri's children

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i can't believe olivia wilde and harry styles have been snubbed like this

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

wooooooooooooooooooooo

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Xaris posted:

that's cool

did anyone else watch wilfred besides me?

i saw the first two seasons, never got to watch too much beyond that

it seemed like it was going to go too far up its own rear end in trying to be overly clever, but i don't know if that happened or not

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Justin Tyme posted:

Spike became FX right? Now that's a good transformation, spike was extremely distilled 2000's, but FX is fantastic

spike was its own thing, started out as a country/south channel called TNN, then tried to do an edgy rebrand, then became spike which did reruns of CSI and UFC specials

then spike was just there until it became the paramount network and now i don't know what the hell it does because i haven't touched cable in years

bigger head turn moment was realizing TruTV's reality and practical joke channel started out as "court tv, the tv channel about courts"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

RIP George Miller

loving clarify which one you rear end in a top hat