Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Cael posted:

Snyder seems like a good dude in real life, and a good/caring director on the sets when filming. I just wish he made movies I liked watching.

Snyder is indirectly responsible for ArfJason 360 no-scoping 3 mods with one post

for that alone, I think he's all right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

"300 was a satire on fascism because theres a scene where some spartans stab a literal strawman"

lmao come on

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

WampaLord posted:

:agreed: using Dr. Manhattan energy for the attack instead of a psychic squid monster was a very smart adaptation change

the psychic squid monster works better in the comic where the medium helps amplify the effect of shock when you open up the two page spread of the chaos of the attack, it would have looked silly as hell in a movie

gonna go against the grain here and say that the alien ending is the better one, or at least the one that makes more sense

the whole point of the weird squid alien was to present a target that was unequivocally not associated with any world power so that humanity could unite against it, hopefully leading to a kind of forced world peace

Changing it so that Dr Manhattan was framed for the attacks would unite the rest of the world against America. Yes, even after taking into consideration that several American cities were glassed, the rest of the world would definitely still blame America since they not only created Dr Manhattan, but they also used him in war. America would be responsible for the series of events that led him to go rouge

Now, it would admittedly be pretty awesome to see the rest of the world unite against America, but that clearly wasnt what the film implied would happen.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

The Doctor Manhattan ending works better if you see it as less uniting the world against a common foe and more uniting them out of fear of God. Ozymandius kind of hints at this with his line about punishing mankind for flirting with nuclear war but it's not overt. There was a version of the script where he fakes Doc Manhattan's voice to deliver a warning to humanity after destroying cities but I'm glad this was cut, it's kind of corny.

that would work for maybe one month before everyone realized that Manhattan had hosed off somewhere and turned against America

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

after two good movies, i will now watch anything with Peele's name on it. Currently thinking of ways I can convince some of my friends to go see Nope with me

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

horror is the best genre since it can be tough to actually define and a lot of movies that arent nominally "horror" films can be argued as such since they invoked the appropriate emotions in the viewer such as dread, fear, revulsion, or tension

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Sam Neil noooooo

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Pryor on Fire posted:

Nope was just kinda bad? What was even the point of the chimp stuff? Like Jordan just heard a story about chimp attacks and randomly threw that in there? Why do you have to look at the monster to get eaten? How did the horse magically figure out this nonsense plot device?

Then we are supposed to believe that the monster is a dumb carnivore outsmarted by horsey man who just knows animals so well, but he never really gets developed as a good horsey man? In fact he seems quite bad at horsing

The scene with all the people getting digested was pretty great, but most of this movie was a clumsy miss which I was not expecting at all

people gave Peele poo poo when he beat the audience over the head with the message of Get Out but maybe he was on to something if people can watch Nope and not understand why the Gordy stuff was included lmao

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Nope is getting praised cause its extremely good. Its basically a modern-day Jaws, loved it

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

When i die I'm gonna become a ghost and keep posting.

post in the machine

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

gonna have to bonk this thread

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i thought Kumail said he was on a crazy workout schedule with lots of Disney dieticians that in no way was a reasonable thing to expect from a normal human. I could be mistaking him for Mack from Always Sunny tho

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

one of my old roommates used to juice almost every day. I could never figure out why tho, he didnt play sports nor was he trying to act in a Marvel film. Seemed like a huge waste of time and money. Would say that he was taking years off of his life but he killed himself in a car crash a few months ago so maybe he was on to something...

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

She should read the Jakarta Method

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Nope was great and this is now the second time ive seen someone ITT say that the Gordy scene was random and didnt belong in the movie, to which i say, lol

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Antonymous posted:

these two people must currently be several sstandard deviations down the line but in the future they will be considered normal

:chloe:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

6 feet tall!?!? :swoon:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I hate all the epic bits the chapos do, and their fans endlessly regurgitate.

hate listening to Chapo to know what not to like is somehow even more pathetic than listening to Chapo earnestly

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

?

I like chapo, I hate their stupid bits though because idiots on the internet will meme it to death. See also pritzker for president, etc, etc.

thats fair. Just assumed that you hated Chapo but still listened to them to get sick owns on other ppl or whatever. Its difficult to gauge other ppls motivations at times

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Antonymous posted:

all those kinds of scenes are good if they have exposition, stakes, tension, revelation or whatever. purpose. But a lot of times the story is on pause so we can watch titties or hear a nice song. I can stream those on the internet now, theaters no longer serve that purpose

this is why Shoot Em Up is the best action movie of all time

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Rewatched The Blair Witch Project for the first time in at least 20 years. Still an incredibly effective horror movie with really naturalistic performances. It makes me think of the wilderness horror stories of Algernon Blackwood in that it hits very specific beats for that type of story and steadily dials up the tension in a very similar way. Except for the original version of Rec I've never seen another good found footage horror, but Blair Witch just has such good pacing and restraint.

Id recommend Deadstream if youre looking for another good found footage movie. Just came out on Shudder (or AMC+ if you have that) and not only is it really funny, but also pretty spooky. Horror comedies are incredibly difficult to pull off, but this one manages it wonderfully.

the plot is that a cancelled prank YouTuber is trying to make a comeback by streaming himself in a haunted house. The main actor does a great job of making you hate him, but also being just likeable enough that its not so annoying that you dont want to see what happens next. Its great to see him deal with all the bullshit he encounters and his chat is hilarious with how much they push and prod him. Horror thread in CineD has really been liking it too

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

indigi posted:

same

the first time I saw Smowpiercer it was a copy that didn’t have subtitles so dude's monologue at the end was largely unintelligible to me except for the feelings, then when Cap said "I didn’t understand" I was like oh that's a brilliant choice putting the audience in his place like that

then I saw a version with the subtitles and I thought it made the scene way worse

similar thing happened to me first time I saw Snowpiercer. I was watching it with my Korean buddy and he was cracking up at all the little snide remarks that dude makes about the main character and summarizing as best he could. Mostly it was that dude calling Chris Evans a dipshit pig IIRC

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

loquacius posted:

Remember when GB2016 got like a 90% on RT the year it came out because reviewers were legit afraid to say it sucked and gave it 3/5 or 2.5/4 or whatever the lowest possible score was that RT considered "fresh"

GB2016?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Antonymous posted:

Ari Aster made like a dozen decent shorts before Hereditary and I think he was shopping around several scripts. If you haven't seen his MFA thesis, it's uh, loving insane. lol

https://vimeo.com/155016328

He went to the same MFA program up in the hollywood hills as David Lynch, Terrence Malick, Darron Aronovsky (who got kicked out), Todd Field, Patty Jenkins, Andrea Arnold, Paul Schrader etc.

the Cum Town bit about this short is great. Its like the movie was made for them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHu6HMcpIeQ

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Antonymous posted:

after playing Yakuza 0 I read about yakuza 1 and there's an interview where the director said they were having trouble getting away from stereotypical plots and so they let a new hire, non writer propose a plot and he said "an orphan girl is the key to a multi billion dollar mystery" and they were so pumped by that they let him write the whole thing. that got me pumped as well.

and drat the writing sucks. yak 1 after yak 0 is an ice bath

i dont recall poo poo about the main story to Yakuza 1, but I will never forget how hard the pocket racer sidequests hit

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

pogi posted:

anybody check out the netflix adaptation of the three body problem series that got released a couple days ago? the first episode apparently got decent to good reviews.

i liked the book series a lot, although characterization took a back seat in the second book and just kind of evaporated in the last. also in the last book, the “humanity grew too decadent and the men grew too feminine” stuff blew chunks, but the dark forest stuff was so good.

oh poo poo, didnt know that was out. They better keep in the nano wire part

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

M3gan looks identical to the Childs Play remake with Mark Hamil. Does it do anything to make itself different and worth watching?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

loquacius posted:

As someone who works with software for a living and in college struggled mightily to teach a robot to cross a room, I gotta say I always thought AI villains were kinda ridiculous, but I always appreciate when a movie recognizes its threat isn't that it'll rebel but that it'll follow orders no matter what

That said lmao did they really program an AI to "eliminate threats" without clearly defining what threats it should care about or telling it murder isn't an acceptable way to do that or even giving it Asimov's Three loving Laws??? That's basically building a murder machine on purpose, it'd never clear a boardroom let alone QA

let me tell you about this genius inventor named Elon Musk and his amazing product Full Self-Driving

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

anyone watched this Wes craven ? I found out about it cause it used Penderecki on the soundtrack apparently

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_People_Under_the_Stairs

People Under the Stairs is an amazing film and probably my favorite Craven flick, which is saying a lot.

extremely CSPAM too

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

i actually like alien for my evil ai go to reference mother isnt actively trying to kill the crew she just has a really stupid priority set that no one knows how to change because it was obviously designed to deal with random novelties not malicious murderous extraterrestrials

im not an Alien lore-master so my take could be off, but I always interpretated the ship AI and Bishop as having a primary goal of seeking out and retrieving "alien" lifeforms with the "mining" being a secondary function that exists to facilitate the main goal. Weyland-Yutani has this priority set for every onboard AI so that out of the likely thousands of mining ships active at any moment, the instant that any catch a sign of non-human life, their main goal then becomes the retrieval of that life with the preservation of the crew falling off completely on the priority list

Its not like the Nostromo ran into an edge case that the AI wasnt prepared to handle. It was commanded to handle it in the way that maximized the chances of the alien lifeform being retrieved by WY. Sacrificing the crew in pursuit of that goal was entirely within spec of the AI to do. Look how Bishop goes out of his way to get the alien on board the ship, to the point of superseding Ripley's authority and forcing the doors open against her command even though she was the commanding officer at that point

There's also the scene that the movie opens with. With the computer receiving the distress signal and waking up the crew early. Its filmed in such a way to imply that the computer screen spitting out lines of code is the antagonist and main driving force of the plot going forward

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Avatar 2 was cool in IMAX 3D, would recommend

the story is exactly what you think it will be, but the pretty lights and sweeping vistas made me clap like a seal all the same

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

I saw Avatar 2 with my buddy. He is a huge MCU stan to the point that he we will rewatch every single MCU movie in order several times a year

Even he said that Avatar's story was completely contrived and it had lost him lmao

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Nichael posted:

This is grotesque.

I used to make fun of him for it but by this point (hes been doing this for years and years now), I admire his inhuman dedication

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i mean if he's used to MCU movies I could see a movie where the characters are treating the things happening to them seriously as being confusing

he wasnt confused by it, he just completely didnt care about it cause it was so formulaic to him

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

mawarannahr posted:

never seen a single MCU movie or any comic book movie other than Batman. that’s enough

you should watch Blade, its pretty good

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

indigi posted:

as far as rich child movies go I liked Blank Check more than Richie Rich because he made his money righteously and I had the hots for Duff

loved that movie as a kid but nowadays its hard to ignore the pedo subplot

wasnt there some weirdo poster with the name Preston Waters?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

indigi posted:

I thought the subplot was the stinking pig lies to the kid to gain his trust rather than that she wanted to actually be his girlfriend. but I haven't seen it since the 90s so maybe I’m wrong

thats a good point. Havent seen the movie since i was a kid so i will go with this interpretation for now

i think their romantic subplot ended with the hot agent saying that she will wait for him to grow up tho...

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i should check out EEAAO one day. it looks neat

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

more people should do this. there's plenty of stuff i haven't seen but i know it sucks poo poo

my issue with bad media is that I love things that are objectively terrible. I find that makes them more interesting than the safe, mediocre stuff. So I need to see them for myself to tell if its the good kind of bad, or the boring kind thats the worst

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i am looking forward to seeing how Adult Swim handles this situation. I hope it will be a funny disaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Communist Thoughts posted:

the john wick movies dont seem very good, the action seems very sterile, it reminds me of something like Bourne Identity or Winter Soldier

the choreography and cinematography of John Wick feels miles ahead of the Bourne series. I will never forgive Paul Greengrass for how he ruined american action cinematography for an entire generation. Bullshit hand cam shots that cut every .2 seconds so nothing ever makes sense and looks like complete rear end