Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
What's the opposite of a nothingburger? An everythingburger? This transcript is insane and I can't believe Trump thought that this would vindicate him. He is absolutely gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

This poll was also taken on Tuesday, before the transcript came out.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Trump thinks Hillary killed prople on the regular and got away with it and wonders aloud why he's not allowed to do the same.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1177579380819845120

WHISTLEBLOWER ISNT A WHISTLEBLOWER ARGLEBARGLE

Edit: ooof full blown narc paranoia is here and ho boi is it a doozy

Second hand information WHICH IS ALL TRUE BASED ON WHAT YOU VOLENTEERED!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

TulliusCicero posted:

This. Most of the establishment GOP would throw Trump under the nearest bus as soon as they could. He puts them in the worst possible position constantly: back Trump to the hilt and galvanize the democrats to vote your rear end out, or try to take even a slightly moderate position and get primaried by a Trumpist lunatic on the right.

As we saw in 2018, support for Trump does not equal support for the GOP. Many Trumpists are all in for him and him alone, and the rest of the GOP gets hung out to dry because they are all "RINOs".

I could very well see the establishment GOP turning on Trump if they see a good way of finally blasting him out of the airlock

Hey, they knew he was a snake when they took him in.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Aspergeoisie posted:

Let me know when you have anything more than a crime invented by way of investigating other supposed crimes that never happened, none of which Trump was ever or will ever be charged with committing.

Politicians don't suddenly become criminals because you don't like the way they talk.

He is on tape asking for Ukraine to interfere in our election in 2020, why do you think this is new for him?

And yes, Extortion is a Capital C Crime.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
The amount of people willing to do Trump's job for him by carrying water on the Biden conspiracy theory is kind of pathetic. It's been debunked and has no basis in reality. The investigation into Biden's son was shuttered a year before the prosecutor, Viktor Shokin, was fired. Biden says pressed for Shokin's firing because of his corruption and refusal to prosecute the old regime's crimes. The fact of the matter is that, if this grand conspiracy theory is true that Biden got Ukraine to boot Shokin to protect his son, then the next prosecutor, who has actually tackled corruption within the government, would be MORE likely to prosecute Burisma and compromise Hunter's position, not less.

The Intercept wrote a good piece covering it back in May:
https://theintercept.com/2019/05/10/rumors-joe-biden-scandal-ukraine-absolute-nonsense-reformer-says/

I don't like Biden, but this has less substance to it than the emails or Uranium One, and that's saying something.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Why is being an open Nazi not an autoban in 2019? JFC.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Data Graham posted:

Periodically, like every day or so, I keep asking myself whether I can realistically see things going back to the status quo ante after where we are at that point. By which I mean the general state of Trumpland, nothing matters, etc.

Up till now I've always been able to think, yeah, you know, I can see this dying down. I can see ol' Donny Trump wriggling his way out of this one. I can see this all blowing over and being forgotten.

But it's becoming more and more difficult to do that mental exercise, and it really does feel like sometime this week is the tipping point when it will become impossible.

I mean it's something Trump can't brute force "counter punch" out of. If he hadn't released the transcript, he probably wouldn't be in nearly as much danger as he is in now, it would have given the GOP a lot more cover. But what was in the transcript is really indefensible, and everyone knows it.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Data Graham posted:

Whatever this scandal ends up being called, please please for the love of GOD can it please not be called ____gate

I'm really looking forward to the day when fraud on a massive scale emerges from the gate producing industry so we can reach the logical conclusion and call it Gategate.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I really wonder if Trump will experience his own Goldwater moment where some GOP representatives will recommend that he just resign. Not saying he will do it but will things get bad enough where the question might actually be posed.

He won't, though. I bet the question has already been asked earlier in this term.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

buddhist nudist posted:

It might have been an okay line of attack if they'd been able to make that the marching order early enough. Beat the drum early that there's nothing to see here and hope everybody tunes out.

Of course, that would have required Donnie and Rudy to stop admitting to everything lol.

If I had to bet on what's going on in the other house, my money's on the Republicans in the Senate a
doing a careful calculus of who gets to vote for/against impeachment in a way that will prevent removal from office but still let the purple state Senators say "well, I tried."

Not gonna like, I hope this happens then a few GOPers try to be heroes by switching votes at the last minute to impeach him and he gets McCained. Again.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

TulliusCicero posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but how could a "Castle Defense" possibly apply here? It's not her "castle" or home for gently caress sakes, she drunkenly broke into someone else's house and shot them dead when they were unarmed.

She thought it was her home. That's the whole defense.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I wonder how much of the reluctance is due to the fact that most Americans don't see a difference between the impeachment inquiry and removal?

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 2, 2019

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Why is this argument even still going on? Nobody outside of our bubble even cares about this. There's better things to waste energy on.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Andross: If I go down, I'm taking you with me!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Flesh Forge posted:

having trump logos on the stuff is wayyyyyyyyyyyy too on the nose, it's fake. Trump's people are dumb but, uh, *PROBABLY* not that dumb.

How can you say that in 2019? Nothing is beneath them.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

AmiYumi posted:

What’s even the point of posting Graham’s birdsite diarrhea? It’s completely unconnected from reality, all bootlicking, and all talk. It provides the opposite of information.

Yeah I really hate seeing his tweets here. What do they add?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Aren't most lower to middle class people making less than previous years thanks to the smash and grab tax breaks?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Luckyellow posted:

What time does the Supreme Court usually release their decision? Because I'm getting a sinking feeling in my gut that we will get a terrible decision today.

The decisions argued today don't come out till next year.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Not seeing how one can say gorsuch is swing vote when the fucker says this

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1181604598303399937

We're hosed.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

tokyo reject posted:

Now would be a loving fantastic time for Mattis et al to come out publicly stating what a retard Trump is

Don't do this.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Minnesota also requires a permit to carry, so most of them won't even get to flaunt their tacticlol ARs.

You seriously think the cops would stop them if they did?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

SimonCat posted:

"Operation Werewolf" was the code name for a plan for Nazi insurgents to continue to fight after Nazi Germany fell to the allies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werwolf#Operations

Wish someone would kick them in the nuts over and over while shouting WOLFMAN'S GOT NARDS!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Zombie has a history of trolling, just ignore them cause you're never gonna get a "aha" moment out of em.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

VideoGameVet posted:

Sometime during the next year, I'll launch a game based on this:

"Your sub is hiding in the ocean, and the Americans are dropping depth charges left and right of the hull. Inside, the sub is rocking, shaking with each new explosion. What the Americans don’t know is that your sub has a tactical nuclear torpedo on board, available to launch, and that the Russian captain is asking himself, Shall I fire?

This actually happened."

I tried to get this funded as a VR title in 2017, even did some pre-production on a Foxtrot Sub, but since I have the visual novel stuff working for the Climate Trail, I figure this would be an interesting (well, at least to me) Visual Novel/Adventure Game.

There was a really good alternate history story I read that follows the potential domino effect of that sub firing its payload. It's both incredibly depressing and fascinating.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is impeachment conviction a simple majority or 2/3s

It's a majority for the house to impeach, 2/3rds for the senate to convict.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Rigel posted:

It is hard to even comprehend the possible maximum political upside for Democrats if the top of the ballot for the GOP is occupied by someone who a clear majority of voters thought should have been removed from office.

That has never happened before. I don't want to get too carried away with daydreaming, but this could even put McConnell and Graham's seats in play. There's probably going to be multiple shocking upsets that no one saw coming.

This is why you see McConnell going to the press to imply Don needs to tighten his poo poo up. The calculus is starting to make more sense to impeach Trump and risk it with Pence.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

"And they were like 'No, no, no, Bolton, we want to do normal crimes, not WAR crimes!' and I just looked at them like they were crazy!"

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
As a trans person, all the people posting kind of pie in the sky "just talk to the alt righters and convince them" takes just makes me tired.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Wylie posted:

I'd take that bet.

I really don't like the attitude that says "people can't be changed, so don't bother trying."

It's not true, and I know that first-hand. My family voted R since forever- my first voting-related memory is going to the polls with my mom and helping her pull the lever for Ford, for chrissakes. I listened to Rush on the radio in the 90's. I read Ayn Rand unironically.

Sometime during the Obama administration, I started figuring things out for myself about who the R team was really working for (spoiler: not me), and by the time the escalator ride happened I knew two things: 1. That orange rear end in a top hat was going to be President, and 2. I wanted no part of it.

At any point while I was on the journey from R to I to D, someone who I was talking to could have shut the whole thing down with "well you're just a chud, no sense talking to you" and turned me off the whole thing entirely. Thank goodness they didn't.

So yeah, you can change minds. And if you can do it, you should do it. Even if it's not successful, there's value in the attempt.

Most of the alt righters want people like me dead. They're not worth having the conversation with. And the ones that don't deflect good natured teaching and help with bullet points and memes. It's so loving tiring and you don't have a loving clue because it's not your neck on the line.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
^ We should not be providing any sympathy to those poor, misunderstood nazis that clearly just need the right person to come along and teach them why bigotry is wrong.

Wylie posted:

I have no idea what you go through. All I can do from here is offer support, whatever that may mean. I am absolutely not in any position to tell you what to do or how to think.

Full stop.

Then why don't you shut the gently caress up? Maybe when they aren't holding the sword over us, taking away our rights and trying to argue that we don't deserve to work or live, that we're less human or broken because of how we choose to live and act, then we can try to have a doe eyed heart to heart with the nazi scumbags. But right now, they are the loving enemy. They would gladly have us all put against the wall if they could. We have enough trouble in our own circles proving to others that we're valid enough to fight for. So quit spouting off the Rocky 4 speech like it means something in 2019.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 28, 2019

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
The fact of the matter is I consider any Trump voter or anyone who still rides the Trump train dead to me. I will gladly exile that third or half of this country at this point. I don't care if there are some non bigots that get caught in the net, they're not victims. They knew he was a snake when they took him in.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

And here is the important difference between you and the people we are talking about

No you see, if you just find the magical combination of words, you can make bigots understand!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

theflyingorc posted:

I didn't say me. The unironic argument was that every person who voted for Trump is irredeemable. It's not true.

edit: To be clear, a shitload of people who voted for Trump are irredeemable.

gently caress you, they voted to take away my rights, and a lot of other people's rights. They knew what they voted for, don't defend them. gently caress them.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

theflyingorc posted:

Nope, a lot of people are extremely loving stupid. Their vote is inexcusable, but I don't think that's the same thing as irredeemable.

Ignorance is not a loving excuse. Trump wasn't out of office on Jan 22nd because "oops the people didn't know what they were voting for".

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

theflyingorc posted:

I just called it inexcusable. Redemption, does, in fact, start with the assumption that they did a bad, wrong thing.

How brave of you to take that stance when it's not your neck on the line. They get to start their redemption once they prove that they give a poo poo and start doing better. It doesn't start with us trying drag them out of the river kicking and screaming. I'm sick and tired of getting spat in my face for trying.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Munkeymon posted:

lol OK sure - I'm going to wait for the person I actually asked to answer the question I actually asked but "you're not helping for the right reasons" is gold

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sexpig by night posted:

it's...it's about how they don't ACTUALLY help, they just want to be seen and feel better...that's not helping minority communities...

This, plus also the fact that on some level, people who voted Trump were perfectly ready and willing to dump any and all "others" to hell in order to bolster their own sense of security. If they're genuinely upset about what they helped usher, there's plenty of causes and groups that take donations or volunteers to aid LGBT+ people, because the fact of the matter is, their vote helped bring about the events/new justices that could, and likely will, cause transgender discrimination in housing and employment to become legalized next June. I don't want empty promises and white lies about doing better while they pollute the discourse with their soft bigotry, because we have enough poo poo to deal with as it is within our own community, both from other LGBT people and straight "allies" posing as LGBT people while attempting to excise transgender people from the community.

I want real, meaningful action, because while allies masturbate over how much they think they're helping, serious damage is being done to the LGBT community every goddamn day and nobody seems to give a poo poo about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

hellotoothpaste posted:

I'll regret even engaging here, but this bothered me reading it earlier when I had poo poo to do.

This is an unusually common attitude I've experienced as a trans ally straight white guy and it's incredibly toxic. There is a broad spectrum of ally support, some of which is entirely based on what's comfortable to an ally themselves. Not once, after hearing that allies are only selfishly stroking their own ego, have I ever heard a suggestion of what's an acceptable level of support.

Truth is that although we cannot possibly fully understand the struggle some of us care strongly about people that absolutely do. I can't understand why it seems okay to treat those people like dog poo poo for not meeting your invisible standard.

Sorry thread.

An acceptable level of support is providing support without making a show of needing a cookie from the marginalized community, because that makes it all about the ally rather than the community they're supposedly helping. A lot of allies don't know how to help but rather than ask, they just do stupid poo poo that is actually harmful and then get mad when the lgbt community is upset. It's taking yet another issue that isn't theirs and making it all about them.

Also that's not counting the amount of "allies" that are actually posing as such to try and drive a wedge in the lgbt community.