Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Old from yesterday but the way Trump referred to the Ukraine call as a "perfect call" has me thinking he views these things as like some interaction that can be graded like one of those interactions in an RPG like Fire Emblem.

"Nailed It! Full Points! The Best Topics! Perfect Tea Time! Confidant Rank Up! Had Zelensky giving me the googly eyes at the end, Sparkles all around em'! Even offered em' a gift at the end but he was already satisfied! Pure Magic!"

Obviously it's because he doesn't understand descriptive language and context at all and has to exaggerate the poo poo out of everything to try to turn it into some self-aggrandizing personal accomplishment but still funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

I don't get it man, why don't Trump, Giuliani and Graham shut up just for like one day. They're kind of the 3 you can always count on to have terrible loving opinions and excuses for just about everything under the sun and in the news that day. I mean there's plenty of other high profile shitlord Trump people like Pompeo, Barr and Stephen Miller but they aren't in the news just absolutely constantly saying mind blowingly stupid and petty poo poo in the middle of yet another scandal situation. What is it with those 3 in particular? Even Dan Crenshaw who just loves to bleat off about the usual Trump Good/Dems Bad talking points hasn't weighed in much that I've been aware of.

I don't even think it's necessarily this threads slight bias for posting right wing hot takes fresh from twitter and laughing at them......Trump, Giuliani and Graham in particular really just do not shut up ever in giving their unsolicited opinions. They all remind me so incredibly much of your standard internet trolls general behavior patterns it's sad. As in the kind of waste of life that spends literally every waking minute shitposting in favored haunts and going out of their way to lie, slander and just make a shitshow of every situation through sheer volume and awfulness of their "input".

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 5, 2019

Kale
May 14, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In a way we’re fortunate that they don’t shut up because it only hurts them.

Yeah I know it right now it's kind of good for the general public that they keep just bleating out every destructive and petty inner thought, but for the better part of this administration it's been pretty exhausting. Especially since the Dems took the house and they probably can't get any of the awful GOP Policy poo poo passed anymore. Since there's no way they can ever try passing actual meaningful and popular legislation along with the Democratic house it's like Trump and Giuliani's job in particular has just been to stir up poo poo on twitter and cable news and just go from rally to TV appearance. Like that was at least 66% of their daily activity for the first couple years of the administration, now it's basically 100% .

To put it another way, it's like because the Democrats just took one chamber of government they've gone full bore back into full on obstruction just poo poo on everything mode from the days of the Obama Administration. The GOP has also shed a lot of the people that can at the very least put on a public face for their lovely policy ideas and added a lot that can't even pretend to for a second so there's that too.

Another example is even during a state visit and joint televised press conference with the President of Finland the White House can't even keep it's petty domestic squabble poo poo together for even a second. Like Trump really does think Niinistö gives a solitary gently caress about Adam Schiff and Nancy Pelosi? Or did he just not even give a remote gently caress that the guy was there with him? Neither would surprise me honetly. I don't even know what the gently caress he was even beginning to try to talk about at that press conference with his reference to Finland "getting rid of Shifty Schiff". Like it didn't make any loving sense whatsoever even in the most stretched of context's, so it's like he just really wanted to drop that line and couldn't be bothered to wait for a moment where it could have any real impact.

Last thought in catching up on the weeks events, frankly the U.S News Media was doing all right at first but is now again doing a pretty of terrible job of covering all of this with the both sides poo poo creeping back into it's narratives. They really do so much to normalize Trump and the current GOP's behavior and act like the GOP has anything rational going for it in terms of policy or strategy when it's plainly evident they do not and would sooner dabble in conspiracy theory bullshit than just put some effort into their attempts at governing. There's something about being patronized in particular by the media that doesn't sit well with me and I can only hope doesn't sit well with a lot of American's.

Like you just have to ask yourself really, when was the last time the GOP actually governed anywhere in America that wasn't a blatant power grab attempt and when was the last time the party just didn't blatantly loving lie and try to cast the Democrats as the guilty party in whatever they've hosed up even when it doesn't make sense? Sometime in the 80's? The mainstream news media in the U.S just refuses to call it out for the most part when it's blatantly obvious and there seems to be nothing to gain from giving the GOP any leeway anymore since they aren't interested in being a good faith political party with the post WWII global or even national interest in mind.

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 5, 2019

Kale
May 14, 2010

happyhippy posted:

I have a friend who has to have the last word on anything to 'argue' about. No matter how trivial it is, for example 'Its nice out', he would say 'its going to rain later'.
He has to 'win' every time. He means nothing by most of it.

Whatever this mental disorder is, Trump has it x1000000000, Rudy has it x500000, and Graham is prob being blackmailed into it.

It's just funny too because after George W. Bush's disaster of a presidency I really didn't think the GOP had any further to fall, but holy poo poo have the last 4 years proven me dead loving wrong on that one. 5 years ago even I used to think Ted Cruz was the absolute worst the party had to offer, but nowadays I honestly don't know. I don't think I've ever seen a historic political party sell out so hard and so fast for no visible net gain and an apocalyptic torpedoing of any credibility it might have maintained into the 21st century. I keep thinking there's something I have to be missing here cause it just makes that little sense to me to go so full bore into all this poo poo and alienate so much of the global population. Maybe it really just was all about getting those judges set in place and literally nothing else.

Anyway the U.S Government really is in the full blown institutional warfare phase that some of the more sober pundits feared I think. The GOP seems to think it just doesn't have to listen to anything the House does because it's controlled by the Democrats who are apparently their one true mortal enemy now, so it's like there might as well be two distinct Federal governments at the moment that are completely at odds with one another and a localized form of civil war that so far has thankfully remained bloodless.

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 5, 2019

Kale
May 14, 2010

King of Foolians posted:

He didn’t give a gently caress that the president of Finland was there.
Trump also apparently “didn’t give a drat” about the missile North Korea launched a few days ago.
Hopefully nothing major in international news will happen in the next several months while the entire US government is busy falling apart.

Yeah really

Kale
May 14, 2010

I'm just so tired of the whiniest administration in the history of Western Civilization. The one satirical reaction to Trump's joint press conference whine-fest referring to him sarcastically as the "most put upon person" kind of nailed how I see him at the end of the day. The big three Donald, Rudy and Lindsey.....just so loving soft man. We've been listening to this guy just constantly air his grievances and whine about every person that dares criticize him every single day for nearly three years now. I never would have predicted he would be more bearable as a candidate in the long run.

So the question I will be pondering come 2020 is "How about it America, do you really want a whiny sadsack miserable gently caress as President for another 4 years?"

Kale
May 14, 2010

Rex-Goliath posted:

I'm trying to find that clip of Jon Stewart just before the election talking about how Trump abides no slights ever and can't ever ever let go of a grudge, and that if he'd be elected it would be a nonstop shitshow where nothing would ever get done. I can't find it though

I think I know the one you're referring to anyway, but I think it was John Oliver.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Slowpoke! posted:

I am the 2% who thinks Trump should tweet more. This poo poo we are seeing deserves its own section at the Smithsonian. Just blow the tweets up and hang them on the wall.

Theres enough tweeta and he's just repeating the same whiny bullshit now. He needs to shut the hell up already its tiresome.

Kale
May 14, 2010

So what's with this whole narrative I keep seeing in U.S News articles now about Romney and the apparent price that he paid for daring to criticize Trump. Like oh poo poo be loving careful those who would dare make a statement against the dear leader.....hey may @ tweet and poo poo on you. The Horror..........as if he might not just randomly bitch about anything or anyone on twitter depending on what Hannity tells him to think that day.

Are we just at that point as a society where we take twitter drama and saving face on social media that seriously? Like I don't see the guy exactly losing any support back home in Utah where as far as I was aware they think Mitten is just the greatest. That's like a consistent narrative I'm hearing though, like Mitt Romney got bitch smacked by Trump on twitter as some sort of power move and it's really loving weird.

Kale
May 14, 2010

It wouldn't be a recreation of Watergate without the backdrop of the U.S abandoning it's would be allies in a region that was formally considered vitally strategic to a key foreign policy, but now apparently no longer. Though the withdrawal from Saigon was the result of years of deliberation and reversal of foreign policy as public opinion started to swing wildly against the Vietnam War and "containment" policy regarding communism. This just seems like another Trumpian Whim and I doubt that even after 2 decades of being involved in Middle Eastern military affairs that the average American is even familiar with the Kurds or Syria at all and probably thinks the mentions of Turkey is just referring to Thanksgiving coming up. I also fully count on the mainstream media to cover this whole story in the dumbest sound bite driven way possible somehow like it always does.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Lote posted:

Kurds should have built a Trump Tower. The US hasn’t gone to war against a country that has built a Trump building.

Well long complicated story but as it is Kurdish isn't a country, it's a people. The US isn't going to war with them or anybody, just more or less abandoning them to an aggressive and imminent military operation from Turkey happening in their lands. A military operation with really ominous Erdogan language behind in the vein of "water(ing) the east of Euphrates with fountains of peace".

It's still crazy to me that most of the problems in the Middle East still date back to the post WWI decision to gently caress over allies that fought alongside the Triple Entente against the Ottomans by breaking their promises to them. Instead of getting what they were promised (basically various ethnically distinct states to call their own) for fighting with them and winning the big colonial powers instead divided up the occupied Ottoman's lands without any regard for the ethnic distinctions, religious beliefs and various other key differences that are the source of many of the conflicts that exist today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_S%C3%A8vres#Kurdistan

There WAS supposed to be a Kurdistan that would be recognized as it's own distinct self-governed state, but instead it just became various regions of Syria, Turkey, Iraq and Iran.

Also holy poo poo Lindsey Graham breaking briefly from Strong Daddy? :eyepoop: Do we get to see him twist himself into a pretzel later to both do his foreign policy thing and pump Trump's tires?

Kale
May 14, 2010

So yeah looking more and more like we are going to be hearing pocahontas this pocahontas that up and down the campaign trail which in no way will make for an appalling display of political theater. At least its becoming clearer how hes gonna campaign now :barf:

If and when he probably campaigns that way the mainstream and really any type of network better loving refuse to air those ads or rhetoric cause holy gently caress.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Between the whole Activision Blizzard thing and now Trump getting a twitch channel this is a bad loving look for some of the key powers that be in the current makeup of the video game scene. It really does feel like a hobby I've enjoyed most of my life is in the process of being slowly but surely sold out to political interests. Certain people made (and occasionally still make) all this loving angry noise about diversity in video games with Gamergate and how awful the "politicization" of video games is by daring to depict non white male people in daring roles or positions of power particular groups aren't associated with having in real life, but now China's money over human rights and freedom of speech, and the universe's never-ending insistence in rolling over for whatever Donald Trump insists he wants to do (but you the everyday person are certainly not allowed to) feels much more like the further politicization of something that really shouldn't be.

Kale
May 14, 2010

teen witch posted:

There is an entire culture and history behind those symbols that have zero to do with white supremacy, and it’s real hosed up that racists get to steal culture while decrying diversity and multiculturalism.

Runic symbols aren’t racist, but are employed by racists. Don’t let racists have them.

I dont get why people are just able to say "this means this now" and people just kind of go along with it. It really does feel like a lot of things are just defined now by social media and how many retweets or likes by influencers it gets. If enough people just retweet something and its deemed to hit meme status it just seems to mean that new thing now cause thats the context people see it in. Not sure that applies to this particular case but that almost seems like how it works in a lot of cases.

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 11, 2019

Kale
May 14, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

Its almost like symbols and also language change in meaning once there is enough popular inertia behind it

Strange.

It didnt historically happen at the speed we are seeing it nowadays though

Kale
May 14, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Shep Smith was complicit at Fox News and I never understood why people gave him a pass.

You know like the seven layers of hell where the top one is still really awful, but not nearly as bad as all the ones underneath? I think it's an acknowledgment of that sort of thing at Fox News. It's kind of like the situation with the GOP where the ones I still vehemently disagree with policy wise but could almost pass as a human being capable of some degree of forethought have been resigning en masse since Trump took over the party. Your Hurds, Ryan's, Corkers, Amash's and Flake's etc. If I were American and lived in their districts or states I'd never vote for them, but them leaving by default pushes the whole Republican party even further to a right wing extreme and absence of helpful ideas based on what's left and who is coming in. Your Gowdy's, Gaetz's, Graham's and Crenshaws namely who are full batshit and only care about being subservient to Donald Trump, quarreling with Democrats and being on TV to spout right wing bullshit.

Kale
May 14, 2010

The Super-Id posted:

gently caress your where’s Hunter bullshit you fat gently caress, no one loving cares about Hunter Biden. Where’s the god damned president? Who the gently caress are you? Why are you in the white house.

Yeah I almost remember when the United States had a leader instead of a troll fighting his battles on twitter. I still get this sinking feeling now too that Trump isn't an aberration but a sign of where we are headed in the post social media hellscape. I feel like the way people sign their lives and souls over to anything that seems convenient and trendy and builds enough momentum on social media it's anyone's for the taking that is capable of exploiting this apparent loophole in the human psyche for their own personal gain. A lot of bad actor types and large corporations were among the first to notice it, but it's very apparent now to those willing to see it.

I read this article on CNN about BTS and it's ARMY fanbase and at it's most extreme doesn't sound all that far removed from how the Chud's seem to organize and think as a group. It's all about showing unyielding devotion to a sort of symbol, attacking anybody that dares criticize or go against said symbol, blindingly following and cheering for any statement or act that the symbol commits, spending hours refreshing and retweeting the same videos or retweeting their tweets to jack their view counts and social media "trending" and all to the incredibly easy exploitation of their record label Big Hit Entertainment who can just kind of sit back, watch and subtly direct it to shut out any real competition and keep a steady stream of profits coming in.

It just doesn't seem that far removed from the sort of thing the Trump campaign and now Administration has been able to harness for it's own personal gain. Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro too. It's less about what Peterson has to say which is often borderline incoherent quasi-philosophical ramblings and practical life advice I'm not even sure he himself believes in, but appears to somehow vaguely take the shape of what I call the "saying the things people want to hear" phenomenon or at the very least having that aspect attributed to them in spite of their rough incoherence. It's sometimes not even about the quality or incisiveness of what you have to say anymore but how your able to harness and manipulate a certain kind of people using social media and a particular flash point instance, which for Peterson was that debate he had before his second book came out going viral. Trump it's hard to say when he really started building momentum fast, but it seemed to happen around the start of the RNC primaries.

Trump's recent rallies have that aspect to them too. I tried to explain it to a friend today, but it's like he's in the like post viral phase of his cult of personality where his base does all the legwork for him and you could almost describe it as a self-perpetuating circle jerk. He just has to show up, rally off his greatest hits and say things loudly and his base just goes loving nuts. He doesn't even have to project charisma or coherent policy of the kind that he used to even to get his cheers, the purpose of showing up to the Trump rally is understood implicitly among his base to be to blindly cheer at specific intervals, he's just there to be the catalyst and symbol of this end goal and seems vaguely aware of it, or at least Steven Miller and his inner circle is. Steve Bannon absolutely was.

Obviously the end result of this is a presidency and base behind it without any specific policy aim or purpose beyond going to rallies, cheering and jeering along with Trump in a 2 minutes hate kind of thing and signal boosting him on social media as much as possible. That's it.

Kale fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 14, 2019

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/impeachment-inquiry-10-14-2019/h_d17d7000d801575575597ad603c46d2c

As soon as I saw this headline I knew it had to be this gently caress. Like who else would it be but Gaetz? This guy really needs to be removed from his office already. He's not even remotely interested in acting out the role of a house rep and frankly not even a congressperson. Since the first day he sat in the chamber all he's literally done is act like a complete and utter shithead and blatant Trump stooge. I don't even know how he got loving elected since he seems to have zero interest in acting as a representative or even following any sort of rules of congress as the role lays out for a congress person. Must have been a really chuddy district.

Fake edit: Yeah Wiki article confirms it as the reddest district in Florida. That's how these people uninterested in governing or following the rules of congress keep getting elected.

Kale fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 14, 2019

Kale
May 14, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

These loving tech bros are going to destroy the nation. They're giving racists and Nazis a platform and even worse legitimizing their voices. We're going to be having 'fair & balanced' right wing Nazi talking points shoved in our face every time we go to facebook.com and apps.

Privileged people reading this thread right now: Delete your loving Facebook (and all other social media).

Every day I'm more and more thankful for the fact that I never really picked up Facebook, Twitter or any other form of social media. I just kind of figured early on the end result of centralizing communication on the internet and limiting the number of characters people could use to communicate a single message in couldn't really lead anywhere good a felt like a Newspeak like experiment of control language along with the platform for communication. It's taking a really long time for the general public to clue in on the fact that social media is well....not good for democracy and civilization in it's current state and that we'd be better off without it or at less centralized forms of communication that empower corporate entities and depower or even indoctrinate the user and individual.

It doesn't help that the mainstream media has what I refer to the "isn't this quaint" approach to highlighting the obvious downsides of social media. Like they'll write these stories where they take something that's obviously bad about social media and try to spin it in a more positive light. The loving talking heads that sit around on panels and jerk each other off about how something is trending on twitter and the again "well isn't that just peachy and quaint" approach to commenting on it. I mean god if it's trending on twitter in some capacity how could it possibly be bad....after all twitter trends are everything aren't they. :bang:

Thing is we really don't gently caress need as many have pointed out in this thread over the last day. There's plenty of less centralized corporate leaning forms of communication that empower the individual user and not just the platform host or whoever has the most followers. Lots of things start off kind of good and then are eventually perverted and go to poo poo and people switch up to something more desirable, I see no reason that social media should be any different other than the mainstream media seems determined to convince people it should somehow be cause they're shareholders are probably also heavily invested in twitter and facebook stock.

Kale fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 14, 2019

Kale
May 14, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

These loving tech bros are going to destroy the nation. They're giving racists and Nazis a platform and even worse legitimizing their voices. We're going to be having 'fair & balanced' right wing Nazi talking points shoved in our face every time we go to facebook.com and apps.

Privileged people reading this thread right now: Delete your loving Facebook (and all other social media).

People willing signing themselves over to certain things just cause they gain enough momentum on social media isn't really helping things either. That's by far what scares me the most about all this is the whole "viral media" thing and how quickly people just bandwagon onto whatever the gently caress more and more cause it. People seem willing to just do or sign on to anything or any movement that's trendy on social media even when it's obviously bad for them or doesn't entirely serve a coherent purpose. Things like the Tide Pod challenge or Hot Coil challenge come to mind. I think when you reach that point of "well I'm going to brand myself like a loving cattle cause twitter says I should" there's also a conscious choice at play.

As far back as Kony 2012 I don't think a lot of people really gave a gently caress about the human rights aspect of things, they were just following the trend as it went viral. I only even remember that was supposed to be a thing cause John Oliver brought it up in his usual scathing way during a segment where he was mentioning something awful that happened in 2012 before mentioning that it went under the radar cause everyone was obsessed with Joseph Kony at the time and mockingly said "I wonder if they ever got that Kony guy, I guess they did because you don't really hear it anymore, but it seemed so important at the time didn't it? :D"

As I recall that guy that everyone thought was super charismatic and just the greatest human rights leader of our time ended up running stark naked through a street on drugs rambling about god knows what and nobody has heard anything about him since, but he had people in the palm of his loving hands in 2012.

This shits even coming up in Persona 5 as I'm just now getting to it's final arc. A video game from Japan with anime characters and tropes like a talking cat legitimately has more incisiveness commentary and dialogue on the shortcomings of social media and the "viral" phenomenon on politics and public opinion than our own mainstream media is willing to give us.

Kale fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 14, 2019

Kale
May 14, 2010

A couple of other thoughts I've sort of been mulling this week with regard to social media and Trump is that the way current trends are with twitter and how stories that paint him in a bad light or meme around impeaching him are what we're seeing trending more nowadays....if it holds up until election day which with impeachment inquiry and shitshows like the Syria situation it just might....I think that's why he's absolutely rear end hosed and it's gonna be a blowout for the Democratic candidate. The DNC just has to nominate a person that they can meme a little, isn't a raging rear end in a top hat, and whom can harness social media trends to any degree and he's just turbofucked beyond measure IMO. You can see him scrambling around right now trying to find a way to recapture the sort of twitter momentum that led to his original nomination and election, but I'm just not seeing it happening the same way and he's just all over the place with only his base responding anymore.

The way I see it Trump's campaign in 2016 fully demonstrated the sheer terrifying power of trending and building momentum on social media. You can completely overpower all other forms of traditional campaigning and common sense this way to at the very least take the electoral college. The sheer number of celebrities (and not low profile ones either) coming out against him and in favor of Clinton, her SuperPAC vastly out fundraising his, the intellectual weigh ins by career social studies profs and politicians as to why his presidency would be a total poo poo show, her winning all the debates, his constant shitlord behavior.....all the traditional things that used to be harbingers for a successful influence campaign.....it just didn't loving measure up one iota to his sheer viral momentum on social media in the voting public's eyes.

There was even an episode of Black Mirror which illustrated how people almost voted a literal meme cartoon character into office just because it went viral after a practical joke and all in spite of the eventual renunciation of it's own creator. What the literal originator of the viral meme had to say no longer mattered, it'd already gone beyond him and taken on a life of it's own with the people that signed onto it and wanted to believe. Trump's no different IMO. there's no special power or charisma at play with him, just impeccable timing and a willingness and enough money and connections to exploit his viral moment from 2015 when people treated him as a joke and meme and all the media was all loving over him coverage wise.

Of course even if Trump's momentum is now toast and he loses in 2020 this doesn't mean it all isn't up for the taking again for some dictatorial wannabe if we don't find a way as a society to get a loving grip on our social media addiction and rediscover independent thought and critical thinking and that trending on social media isn't the be all end all, because the next time a populist shows up and manages to go viral and harness the momentum up until election day, they're getting in under those conditions sorry.

Kale fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 14, 2019

Kale
May 14, 2010

At the very least all the bullshit in the news lately from Blizzard and Apple's kowtowing to China, to Trump's impeachment inquiry and just openly admitting to crimes seems to be slowly waking some people up a little from their fanboyish stupors to what's going on or at the very least for the first time in years I'm seeing pushback against some of this poo poo. The fact that I find myself almost pleasantly surprised that people are coming out on the just objectively just side of these flashpoint incidents instead of just openly siding with the facist free-speech limiting ones like I figure would have happened even two years say a lot about how bad things have gotten recently, but that somewhere people still have the capacity for common loving sense. To, for the most part, put what's clearly right against their own personal enjoyment and hedonism in the heat of a moment. Gamer's no less,with how loving bad and full of right wing "SJW's are ruining my games" talking point shitheads that label has gotten, are coming out on the side of basic justice in the Blizzard debacle for example and don't appear to be having their poo poo.

Anyway more and more as bad as things are and how people just seem okay with selling out previously held values I think we're finally starting to find a threshold and awareness of how far people are willing to go down the rabbit hole.....maybe, I'll come back to my nagging doubts in a moment. Right now though it's more than I thought people were willing to go down said rabbit holein 2015, but less than I thought in 2017 where I basically had little faith in humanity left if that makes any sense.

Like it's just become so blatant to all but the fully indoctrinated braindead types online that these people that are currently under fire are 100% totally okay with selling us all out one way or another for profit or personal gain and that that cost outweighs anything they may promise or offer as a service, be it an addictive popular video game or political gains like overturning Roe v. Wade or whatever conservatism stands for in 2019. Still a tremendous amount of ground work to be done yet and a lot more loving up openly and blatantly by the powers that be to keep the momentum going in the right direction though and at the end of the day it still depends on humanity as a whole rediscovering it's collective backbone and what it wants to be as a society and species. Do we want some degree of compassion and greater justice for ourselves and others, or do we want memes and symbols and trends to just blindly follow that only benefit the already wealthy, influential and powerful?

However, of course there's a chance that it's not entirely people consciously and with deliberate purpose coming out on the side of clear justice, but that things like the Blizzard thing have gone viral against them at the moment and that we are getting memes featuring characters from Overwatch trending on social media thus generating the usual bandwagon and momentum effect, but lets see what happens there. If a bunch of people just show up to Blizzcon in Mei and Winnie the Pooh cosplay, without a clear concise pro-justice narrative behind it all and just proceed to make loving asses of themselves and take selfies we'll know what's really at play there. Not gonna lie I'm kind of watching that one closely at the moment as an early litmus test about how much people are really waking the gently caress up or not weird as that is. Obviously the 2020 US General Election is "the big one" on the horizon so to speak.

Sorry for all the walls of text, but this is something I've been pondering about for quiet some time and it feels like at last it's become a greater public topic as a whole due to a coalescence of high profile bullshit all happening at the same time. Basically the theory that when you break it all down there is no one magic once in a life time charismatic figure, ideology or belief system at play in all the once unthinkable horrors we've seen this decade, just social media momentum and clever exploitation and manipulation when we're still coming to grips with how integrated it's gotten with our society.

Kale fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 14, 2019

Kale
May 14, 2010

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Get involved. The five of us who do GOONPAC will support you, and maybe more of SA will get involved if there’s a goon running for office/goon-led campaign for something worthwhile somewhere.

That dude was mentally ill and he was hardly considered “greatest rights leader of our time.”

But yeah Facebook’s entrenchment and monopoly are a massive problem for workers, not just for what people were saying yesterday regarding hiring/HR at many businesses basically expecting a social media presence, but also for anybody trying to work independently or start a small business. It’s incredibly difficult to start or run an independent gig of any sort without being able to advertise on Facebook.

I didn't really follow the trend directly, but at the time that was going viral people seemed willing to sign on to whatever that guy had to say and it seemed so important at the time and now I doubt anyone even really remembers the whole Joseph Kony "Lords Army" child soldier thing.

I also can't help notice that a lot of platforms or forums I used to use almost daily noticeably went to hard poo poo and became infested with assholes and propaganda talking points the moment they were sold out to large media corporations. I distinctly don't remember Gamefaqs being an absolute unequivocal nightmare before it was sold by Jeff Veasey to CBS and ditto youtube to Google and Twitch to Amazon. Suddenly the moderation just kind of stopped on Gamefaqs for example (The userbase also seems incapable of writing well put together FAQS and walkthroughs you used to see so much as pettily arguing among themselves) , the rules didn't seem to loving matter or apply the same to all parties (Youtube and Twitch are brutal for this as well where if you're a big streamer or corporate PR channel you can say or do just about anything you want but if you're just some random individual user have fun eventually getting your account locked out by amassing too many copyright claims where the onus is on you to counterclaim) and the purpose of those sites as seen by it's administrator's became kind of blatantly about towing a corporate line, propaganda, datamining the userbase, and amassing the most follows and likes more than the quality and utility of content.

There's many many more examples besides those, but the moment they got bought buy a large media corporation and stopped being run by self-appointed administrators from the userbase, hard loving turn to complete poo poo and the userbase just being infested with outright complete assholes that get the full run of the places without consequence cause the people that run them for all their talking points and bullshit demonstrably don't give a gently caress about fostering a healthy discussion environment free of bad faith rule breaking trolls if it has no net gain on their profit margins. The only reason for example Blizzard is even remotely trying to backpedal on their recent decisions is because the Bad PR Momentum has snowballed so badly against them that their big annual convention is rear end hosed and doomed to turn into a protest where the narrative won't be under their control. Took like two weeks for anything and it's only because it became clear they can't bury this poo poo before then and I doubt they can now either, but they're gonna try I guess.

Anyway I keep using this example because I've come to feel all of these problems are interconnected in a way in that they relate back to social media and it's all-encompassing influence on our society one way or another. That and even some U.S Congresspeople have started weighing in on it from both parties, and not the way I expected they would.

Kale fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 14, 2019

Kale
May 14, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

The fact that Trump constantly says "my generals" is seriously disturbing.

He's referred to "my judges" a lot recently too. I'm past the point of feeling disturbed by it, it's just kind of too open, blatant and well documented at this point that the guys well into the self-preserving phase of his attempted presidency for life. The power for powers sake style of "governing" that McConnell and the GOP seem to be all about now that has nothing to do with fulfilling their oath of office or civil service.

I'm still struggling to see how he possibly puts together a 2020 campaign that is anything more than more "Me vs. Enemies" talking points. At least in 2016 he seemed to have people around him that could focus him on to talking points and policy stuff even if eventually he'd back down from it like with Charlottesville, but I haven't heard any of that sort of poo poo relating to that sort of thing from him since mid 2017 and heard plenty of constant bitching about having to have political opponents and deal with an opposition in the house being allowed to criticize and not just blindly go along with him and the GOP.

It's clearly driven him absolutely loving mental and taken up all his focus and energy having to deal with the Democratic house majority now and we'd probably have seen this full meltdown bullshit from him even earlier in 2016 had the GOP not been given full control of all 3 branches for like the 2nd or 3rd time in the 21st century and had he not been convinced to go with the generic party picks like Priebus and Mattis as key staffers and advisors early on. Like the sheer contempt for even the idea of an opposition party he can't control is an existential crisis for the President of The United States and he thinks it's somehow unfair to him that the public dare exercise it's franchise to elect an opposition party to a majority in a chamber of congress. Like "how loving dare you America" in all but directly stated terms.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6029957/trump-video-shooting-white-house-response/

Incidentally this stuff getting out there and going viral and being viewed by millions is absolutely going to rear end gently caress the guy come 2020 if it keeps up. If he doesn't see the imminent danger in not getting on top of these sorts of things he's clearly not the social media wizard he's been touted as.

Kale fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 14, 2019

Kale
May 14, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/BarzanSadiq/status/1183843984940195841

This guy is wrong, it’s easy to measure the damage. They’ll see how high the Kurds bodies will stack and Trump will have his wall

Can they realistically get a veto proof majority through? Has Mitch weighed in on this yet? I kind of get the sense he's for a resolution, but then again you know....gotta please dear leader.

Even still kind of too little too late and they'll basically be sending troops back into a hot zone. Also that twitter thread is a whole lot of don't trust Lindsey Graham warnings and I'm kind of inclined to agree.

Kale fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 15, 2019

Kale
May 14, 2010

He really does sound like a mafia boss here.

Kale
May 14, 2010

haveblue posted:

This is not a resolution Congress can make, the President is in direct command of the military. They’d have to give command of the military to someone else to get it reversed, and there only one way to do that.

Getting back to this from yesterday, but yeah maybe that's not the greatest power to invest directly in the executive or maybe just it's that this guy probably shouldn't be president or invested with the sole authority to make that kind call. As I understood it the reasoning is the quick response factor of somebody needing to make the call to deploy military force within a matter of hours if not minutes, but the expectation there is obviously that the person making that call has consulted their military advisors and generals and is capable of making a sober decision based on that advice, which obviously Trump is not.

Also unrelated tot he quoted part, was John Bolton really actually the whistle blower then or just directed some poo poo behind the scenes because he, literal John Bolton, came to have zero faith in Giuliani and Trump on matters of national security and foreign policy?

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 15, 2019

Kale
May 14, 2010

Yeah that's kind of how these testimony's and depositions work. Sorry you think something doesn't seem to be going entirely in your favor in congress anymore for a hot loving minute. I'm almost amazed he managed to somehow find time between his constant bitching about a process he can't stop at the moment to destabilize the Middle East.

evilweasel posted:

i mean, that trump shouldn't be president is a gimme. but given that, what would be your alternative? that the commander-in-chief is a civilian, elected position is very important for keeping the military out of politics, and it's not like any other elected position is more idiot-resistant.

in theory you directly elected the president while you had no direct say in who the speaker or senate majority leader was (just which party controlled the chamber) so voters could, theoretically, select for someone competent. to make the obvious point explicit, here they did not.

I get the prevailing wisdom behind the power, we're just clearly in the process of seeing the breakdown and counterpoint to it in it being invested in a person incapable of making sober judgments around it. It has me wondering what beloved dictator of Trumps is going to call him up next and ask him to do him a solid by moving x troops out of y area they have a military interest in.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

Good, she has nobody to blame but herself for this.

The way I see it her seat is in jeopardy now not because she's a moderate or at least pretended to be, but because she publicly gave up the pretense of being a moderate in a purple region that isn't all on on the Republicanism or any particular party. Need a good Democratic candidate to seal the deal, but I can't help but wonder if they'd just have to be a moderate type anyway. Maine's kind of hard to pin down sometimes since their senate seats are an R and I (who replaced Olympia Snowe one of the few senators to break often with the party during the Bush era) respectively and everything else is Democrat.

Current trends seem to suggest she's just loving toast and it's plausible pick up in 2020 under a moderately well run Democrat campaign though and that the Kavanaugh hearing did her in big time. Stupid self-inflicted political suicide coming out all big ham Lindsey Graham rhetoric style on that one in a purple state that was already clearly starting to waffle on her and clearly did not think that at large that Brett Kavanaugh should be on the supreme court.

It even looks like the whole Republican just be belligerent assholes that treat all opposing political ideas and parties with utter disdain and contempt at all loving times thing is starting to narrow the gap even in some red states, but clearly not enough to flip seats in the vast majority of cases. Some that I never though I've seen be anything other than Safe R have moved to Lean R or toss-up in the last couple election cycles though. In any case it's clearly not helping them either since I guess maybe deep down the majority of American voters don't like assholes after all.

Toobly posted:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1184188825783996416

Is it just me or does he look scared as Hell?

Just looks like he doesn't give a loving poo poo anymore at all to me like most Republicans nowadays. You can again just feel the loving contempt they have for any person that isn't a registered R, it's just so palpable and that's what's kind of scary lately. This is the kind political atmosphere you'd expect to see out of a War of The Roses or civil war era.

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 15, 2019

Kale
May 14, 2010

saintonan posted:

Huh, turns out that if you campaign on being a strong independent voice for the people then turn around and become just another Trump toady, that it might affect you politically if you're not in a worthless disaster hellscape of a state.

It's at least moderately encouraging that outside of the Hard R states people seem to be getting a little tired of all the lies and deceit from Republicans and them having nothing to offer anymore aside from pissing and moaning about their political rivals entirely legal activities and processes.

As if they'd actually be doing anything at all that the American people actually want if the house was still under their control and not in the midst of impeachment hearings. Again they had two loving years with full control and managed to pass a lovely tax cut bill nobody likes by the skin of their teeth, and also by a perversion of the process and last minute defections raised the specter of and then narrowly avoided taking away health care coverage from people with no alternative in place. That's their legacy for 2017-2019.

This party of vengeful hostile venom spitting fucks is entirely unfit to govern a democracy so it can kindly gently caress off with the whole Democrats obstructing thing.

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/15/donald-trump-impeachment-ukraine-investigation-046915

Also I was kind of hoping and figured this might happen. That really doesn't look good for Trump that people in or formerly in his administration will just ignore his standing order not to testify for the obviously self-serving bullshit it is and comply with the duly elected Democratic houses inquiry. You can finally at long last see Trumps borderline inexplicable reign of fear and intimidation slowly crumbling in real time. They're not going to get all of the ones they want to testify or at least not this quickly, but I could easily envision an alternate scenario where none of them have and so far what's been shared with Congress is damning as hell and lines up pretty succinctly with the purported whisteblower complaints.

This is a lot better than I could have hope for so far considering I just expected them to go full in on ignoring subpoena's but there's nothing compelling them too aside from Trump's will and maybe just maybe that's no longer the be all end all anymore in America.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Like 90% of NHL players are hardcore Republican/Conservative chuds so expect them to all smile and clap along anyway.

This statistic and claim is based on and from?

I'm getting a bit of a different vibe from those videos in any case. Like a not that that they're smiling or laughing along with Trump or agreeing with him but a wry "Oh here we go, I knew he'd bring this up" reaction. The body language and chuckling makes it feel like they're laughing at the idea of being on the podium there while he goes on about more "but my enemies" stuff that has nothing to do with them being there. At the same time they didn't have to be there either and what did they loving expect.

The quotes that are being posted on the NHL N/V thread are standard Trump "people are saying" quotes about things NHL players are "telling him". The exact format that he always uses when he's just making poo poo up out of thin air on the spot so I wouldn't be inclined to believe them on that basis.

Again they don't have to be there, it sucks, but I'm not getting a "hail victory" party rally vibe off of this so much as they're there on the basis of a tradition when they probably shouldn't be cause the guy is nuts and why would you want to be associated with that in any situation. They deserve some flack and dragging on that point alone.

edit: It occurs to me people are probably just wondering if they are real Trump quotes in which case god I honestly don't know? Maybe ? Anything is possible with him.

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 15, 2019

Kale
May 14, 2010

Ive come to refee to that green emoticon in these tweets as the "lying emoticon" because every single time i see it its some made up statisitic being cited or complete bullshit. Like every single time to the point where my wyes just skip right past it. Propaganda bots seem to use it almost as a rule as well.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Ah yes the days of Caesar and his BFF George Washington. I remember the unit on that one in Classics.

Kale
May 14, 2010

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2019/roll560.xml

Just looked at the roll call for that House Vote and Nunes was a Yea. :stare:

e: So was Crenshaw. Gaetz remained a Nay so you get the sense of just how much more of a piece of poo poo that guy is I guess.

Kale fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 16, 2019

Kale
May 14, 2010

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

Why do people like Cummings die at 68 while these ghouls just hang around forever... drat, RIP

It really is starting to get eerie how people that publicly oppose Trump eventually seem to die or suffer grave misfortune.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

barely anyone posts there, it's like 5 guys total really posting. subreddit stats says .0004 posts per subscriber.

also subreddit stats shows a word cloud of most common words in comments and I am losing my god drat mind here:

I mean are you really surprised? Online career memers are repetitive and spiteful as poo poo. Also I think that laughing/crying face emoticon has now become my most hated emoticon on the internet cause it's always some awful shitposter using and it's always in an immensely stupid post only they and their echo chamber think is clever. Every single time. Ironically the actual name for that emoji is supposed to be "Face with Tears of Joy" but it's only ever used as someone positioning themselves as an alt-right rear end in a top hat laughing at what they think are their stated ideological rivals misfortune or failings.

Here's a pretty good take on it IMO:

quote:

Back in 2016, British journalist Abi Wilkinson wrote a poignant article about how the laughing emoji has become a symbol of hate. ‘The “tears of joy” emoji is the worst of all — it’s used to gloat about human suffering,’ she wrote. ‘The cackling grin and tears of mirth are the mockers’ attempt to tell us that, in a world full of human suffering, their brand of callous disregard is winning.’

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 17, 2019

Kale
May 14, 2010

skylined! posted:

Good and fun times abound if you want to see the distinguished gentleman minority leader sweat a bit and lie a lot.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1185220524500234240?s=20

Had the Democrats not won the house this guy would have been Speaker :stare:

Kale
May 14, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Is the whole "<insert enemy here> is going CRAZY!" a new thing for Trump? I feel like I'm seeing it a lot more lately.

It's a pretty common refrain by now. He's using a lot more of his classic lines lately because he's bitch tweeting more and more since his
"executive time" hours got extended. His jobs are essentially in order of priority tweeting, golfing, going to his own rallies, and occasionally exercising executive powers to enact pointless tariffs and destabilize regions with seemingly on purpose terrible foreign policy reversals from the Obama and Bush eras. That really does seem to be about the extent of it.

The whole Doral thing is another perfect example of just how loving utterly stupid the Trump Presidency is. It's almost like they announced it and retracted it just for "lib owning" potential never intending to go through with it, but just to put yet another thing that's nakedly corrupt and awful about his presidency out there. Like you can basically count on him to do or announce the most horrible policy poo poo possible on purpose any given day only to reverse course on half of it within a 48 hour period. Isn't it just great?

I feel like the rapid decline of any sense of stability in his presidency is a combination of firing everybody that kind of knew what they were doing and losing the House. Without competent civil servants and without a clear path to getting lovely Republican legislation passed he's just kind of content to watch it all burn if not throw the match on the gasoline fire himself from time to time.

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Now that the cats out of the bag they'll surely have to switch it 0000