Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i like how 'signing' letters is the hard part

autographing the coffins or meeting the gold star families for photo ops is pretty great, apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Aristocratic failsons are pretty much all the same, and I count Trump in that boat. Trump is actually less unaware and privileged than a lot of them. I guess that actually made him more dangerous, because he successfully developed a personality that could other people to get on board with him.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

is the Uber Left the one with the app?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Larry Summers exists in a rareified atmosphere, an exclusive and very small club of humans who have managed to gently caress up the entire god drat world. It is truely staggering how much corruption he apparently deliberately engendered in the US economic mission to Russia immediately post-USSR (leading in no small way to the kleptocracy that birthed Putin's rise), and his influence on international economic policy and domestic US policy is difficult to overestimate. Everything you hate about Bill Clinton Summers probably had a hand in somewhere.

Wapo is fine overall but they are a Beltway as gently caress paper and it really shows in their opinion section.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Ice Phisherman posted:

It feels to me like someone is imitating the double tap, which has been made popular by the military. Kill someone, or many someones, then kill people at the funeral. It's wildly disruptive to the social fabric of a community and if applied widely, a society, if people are assassinated and then people can't grieve afterwards.

literally the thing with a pastor and a church happened in jack ryan season 1

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Do we have a, “WELL ACTUALLY” emoticon?

whats your advice in that situation, manhandle guys out of the neighborhood yourself?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

empty whippet box posted:

gently caress those cops too they can eat my rear end, "these cops didn't do a racism in front of me that particular day when there were, from my own storytelling, a gently caress ton of people watching, so clearly it's just bad apples. " Those cops probably did ten racisms the moment they were around the corner. They probably had a sack of racism in the glove box to huff the second they got in the car

cops are necessary to the functioning of society. Any society, every society, develops enforcers. There's a lot of problems with american cops but 'gently caress all cops' is meaningless.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

mod sassinator posted:

Discord actively gives Nazis a platform to plot how they will kill people.

nazis have also used

every other messenger
irc
http
phones
their mouths

to plot how they will kill people

what i dont understand about discord is how they arnt bankrupt yet

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

SchrodingersCat posted:

And the GOP has done such a good job of packing most of the courts, so if it ends up in a legal battle it will most certainly become a requirement for a full vote. The Republicans will vote in lockstep against it and try to turn it into a Democratic witch-hunt argument because most American citizens are too stupid to understand what is going on, and the GOP has no soul.

Again, the only way this really plays out in Dems favor is if they keep this running until next fall and use it in the election. As soon as it passes to the Senate the GOP will vote it down and claim it as a victory despite the mountain of crimes that the House is uncovering.

I think if a bunch of trump adjacent people get theirs in terms of their Crimes™, and the evidence is blatant and stinky enough, the Senate vote will look like what it is: corrupt partisan rear end covering. Republican Senators voting it down is still probably the right move according to the Lizard Brain Playbook, but it becomes jumping from the pot into the fire.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Rudy Erasure!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Prester Jane posted:

Hillary promoted the image of herself as the queen of the status quo, the master of doing things by the book. All she had to do was run a bog standard by the book American presidential campaign, and despite everything that happened she still would have crushed Trump.

Instead she ran an unconventional campaign that made all the classic mistakes of communication breaking down between leadership and the boots on the ground. The one thing her campaign was good at was pumping money into the pockets of people in the Clinton Circle via giving them cushy advisory* positions, anything related to an actual presidential campaign though was bungled.

* where they came up with such genius "advice" as skipping out on lawn signs because it was difficult to measure their direct impact on voting.

There's a saying that 90% of money spent in politics is wasted; the problem is that noone knows which 90%. Chaotic attempts to spend money better are par for the course, as are mistakes. Noone agrees on what the mistakes were, of course; it often ends up being a 'defeat is an orphan' thing.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Calibanibal posted:

The former commander of US Special Forces appealing to 'helping the weak and standing up against oppression and injustice' makes me sick. What the gently caress did McRaven think he was doing exactly

Hey, not all the special forces are SEALs.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Paradoxish posted:

So... nothing, really. Some nebulous words about creating a more "fair" marketplace and then everything will fix itself, because markets are divine instruments incapable of failure.

He's not wrong per se. It's more important to alter profit incentives via regulation and enforcement than it is to tax the rich. But making that argument, now, - against *Warren* - is so purestrain useful idiot it beggars belief. Warren whose hobby horse was the CFPB (making the markets better) which the rich just eviscerated.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Lightning Knight posted:

There’s lots of news outlets like this. Mother Jones has that guy who goes into deep cover into the worst places for amazing pieces alongside absolute poo poo garbage. That doesn’t mean we have to or should give them money.

Journalism in America is fundamentally broken if in order to have investigative journalism we also have to give money to Bari Weiss, and it’s we the consumers who are scolded if we refuse.

Isn't that just saying journalism is fundamentally broken? Investigative journalism is funded as an afterthought for the most part, with only a handful of viable dedicated investigative outlets and those generally heavily beholden to their advertisers anyway. It's not like a ultraconsumerist model of only funding individual journalists you like has proven practical.

like where is this mecca of journalism

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

well, when you say american journalism, i presume you have some ideal or at least better way you are contrasting it to.

i mean you seem to be saying that between the choice of the current purveyors and conductors of investigative journalism and nothing you choose nothing, or am i wrong?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

If I had to guess, the rest of the G7 refused to endorse the location.

alpha_destroy posted:

To give a very short summary of Riot. Strike. Riot, people have two options when it comes to disrupting capitalism. You can disrupt production, or you can disrupt circulation. Where disruption occurs, of course, depends on where most people encounter the economy. Before industrialization we had food riots as people disrupted points and roads and essentially confiscated grain that was meant to be shipped elsewhere. Clover has a great quote about rioting, looting, and price setting. Something like "looting too is a form of price setting, albeit at a price of zero."

After industrialization, people encounter the economy on the factory floor. It becomes easier to cut off the factory floor than the port, and so the strike overtakes the riot as the primary mode of resistance. Funny enough, the first strikes are actually called riots and are prosecuted under the riot act because, you know, there isn't a word for a strike yet.

Now, in a postindustrial world, people again encounter the economy mostly through the infrastructure of circulation. So the riot comes back into popular use. This is why Occupy Oakland shuts down the port. This is why protestors shut down the highway. The heart of organized disruption is the desire to make the world to screech to a halt reckon with what it is doing. You shut the world down where you can, and it turns out in our current conditions shutting down highways and ports is where you can force the world to stop.

The war in Iraq started before i really started paying attention to politics. Some protesters blocked the floating bridge, a highway; the rage this induced in the majority of people i met was frightening, and most were not Republicans. I don't believe direct action succeeds without the complicity and acquiescence of most of whom it affects. Otherwise you are making enemies instead of change.

Almost every movement features a very high ratio of sympathizers to those taking action.

edit, p.s.: Blocking roads in particular seems to trigger road rage in many people irregardless of their politics. As if its deeply personal to them.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 20, 2019

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Stickman posted:

Does it involve forcefully taking children from people of a particular ethnic group and then adopting them out to people of a different ethnic group? (Hint: Yes, that's exactly what's happening)

The intention is to prevent a specific ethnic group (as defined by Americans) from entering America. That's enough intention for this action to be genocide.

E: Hell, selectively restricting asylum from certain regions also meets the definition.

One foster family going rogue is not genocide. This is stupid.

It is especially stupid because it is literally a sidetrack argument from a discussion about actual ethnic cleansing happening right now as we speak. Which is exactly why it is stupid when people call things that are not genocide genocide. It's a distraction.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 20, 2019

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I mean the FDIC cant back up the entire banking system. Its guarantees went hand in hand with federal controls to prevent a systemic crisis. Thank god financial innovation and congressional bribery has loosened that blot on our beloved freedoms.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

luxury handset posted:

FDIC is not intended to back up the banking system, it's to make sure that people who have money in banks don't lose everything if the bank collapses. the intention is to enhance consumer confidence in banks, not to prevent banks from failing

report on the 2008 crisis:

quote:

In 2008, by relying on the provision that allowed a systemic risk exception,
the FDIC was able to take two actions that maintained financial institutions’ access to
funding: the FDIC guaranteed bank debt and, for certain types of transaction accounts,
provided an unlimited deposit insurance guarantee. In addition, the FDIC and the other
federal regulators used the systemic risk exception to extend extraordinary support
to some of the largest financial institutions in the country in order to prevent their
disorderly failure.

The FDIC was the mechanism through which the entire system was propped up.

There is or more to the point was a regulatory firewall between deposits and financial speculation precisely to make the FDIC a not-insane plan and to stop the sort of systemic issue that caused financial malaise to metastasize into depositer banks. Insurance has to come with conditions and requirements. But, today...

wikipedia:

quote:

Over time, the term Glass–Steagall Act came to be used most often to refer to four provisions of the 1933 Banking Act that separated commercial banking from investment banking.[2] Congressional efforts to "repeal the Glass–Steagall Act" referred to those four provisions (and then usually to only the two provisions that restricted affiliations between commercial banks and securities firms).[14] Those efforts culminated in the 1999 Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA), which repealed the two provisions restricting affiliations between banks and securities firms.[15] The 1933 Banking Act's separation of investment and commercial banking is described in the article on the Glass–Steagall Act. Institutions were given one year to decide whether they wanted to specialize in commercial or investment banking.[11]

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 24, 2019

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I'm pretty sure a lot of people talked about and even voted for Ralph Nader without even knowing or caring he was running on a ticket. It's not like he was running on a platform other than 'gush vs bore amirite'

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

TheDisreputableDog posted:

I go out of my way to not use the term, but I never really got how this is a "slur" or delegitimizing, since a party member is called a Democrat. You actually call them Democrats in your post. It seems totally innocuous.

It's not a slur, it's just doing the conservatives work for them. They did focus groups and found that Democrat party polled slightly worse than Democratic party. So they all starting saying Democrat. This was back in the day when they were more organized though. Now its just reflex or baked in.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

please dont tell me they are giving the black students seats at the back

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

KillHour posted:

This is true. He looks for corruption and immediately gets involved in it.

seems to be a proud greater nyc tradition, pretty funny that giuliani and christie both got outscammed by reality tv guy

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

What's up with those flags? They arn't a state flag and googling US flag with roundel is hopeless.

also newt gringriches hair looking a little yellow in the light seems on point

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

:negative:

I swear i checked that list of state flags twice.

CommieGIR posted:

Trump has been lying his whole life, except previous to being President people just took him at his word or just waved it off.

Now that every lie he says is openly scrutinized, he can't stop.

I think trump is the kind of guy who exercises lies as a means of expressing power, basically daring you to call him on it. I think that was always part of who he was.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 26, 2019

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Otteration posted:

Rachel Maddow Confronts Her NBC News Bosses Live, on the Air
nytimes.com/Oct. 26, 2019
"The MSNBC anchor Rachel Maddow publicly confronted the leadership of her own network on Friday night, declaring live on air that she and other NBC News employees had deep concerns about whether the organization had stymied Ronan Farrow’s reporting on the movie mogul Harvey Weinstein."

[Don't watch the TV news, so don't know what's up with that.]

i heard on the NPRs that the reporter investigating Weinstein went to their boss and basically got shut down 'it's not news, who cares'; reporter had to shop it around instead. Unsurprisingly turns out said boss has a history of being a shithead.

Since its NPR they then spend 15 minutes on the CLINTON CONNECTION

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Dr Christmas posted:

Whenever I want to know what a Lovecraft character feels like when they look at an elder god, I check the Facebook wall of the one annoying kid who was into politics in middle school. Loves Bernie, loves Trump, thinks generic Democrats are better than generic Republicans, and haaates Hillary and the Squad.

What the gently caress.

so a... fox news watching democrat?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

HootTheOwl posted:

1599 is 111 away from 1488.
I only bring it up because I have no idea what 1599 meant in the message.

Also, are we sure Wohl isn't just doing performance art?

Propaganda is a kind of art, sure.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Grapplejack posted:

Sanders is so popular in WV because he pays attention to the state and offers solutions to problems they have. The mainstream party hasn't done that since Clinton and he basically abandoned the state immediately for his third way poo poo.

West Virginia wants someone to promise coal is awesome, not solutions to the problem that coal is dead.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Surely someone other than O'Keefe could be used as a source or to make the point in the thread, even if you agree with this point. He's fundamentally untrustworthy.

Vacuum trains have been a sleeper thing among space nerds for a long time, thats why Musk went in on it and why it worked. Like p sure vacuum trains are in Isaac Asimov books. And judging from talking to people, space nerds dont necessarily have to like musk to want to be musk.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

it's us, the supposedly smart leftists who are all in on justifying extrajudicial violence as long as we can say the victim deserved it

time to get our lynch on

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

oh yes, not fracturing peoples skulls = ~ D E C O R U M ~

you got me coach

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

:toxx:ers Against Trump

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Honestly if a white guy that's under the age of 45 says that he's really against abortion, I assume it's a white supremacy smoke screen by this point

IMO, that age cutoff is the wrong way around.

At least younger fanatics have the excuse of being brought up in a culture where abortion is the ultimate evil. Older anti-abortion fanatics have to know its all bullshit.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Because what the gently caress does it have to do with anything at all being discussed currently

its pretty standard to go on a three page derail about how much Pelosi sucks anytime anyone mentions her name, so one post aside about LBJ is hardly outre.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

e: post sucks, disregard

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah IP, here's the thing. I know about My Lai. I know a lot about Vietnam! It's a hosed-up subject, one that fundamentally broke the country and contributed greatly to the hellscape in which we currently live, and LBJ played a large role in the escalation of the war and the general conduct during it. You didn't say a single thing I didn't already know, while also ignoring my larger point that LBJ did more for the poor and disenfranchised than almost any other US legislator during the 20th century. Civil Rights Act of '57 and '64, the Voting Rights Act, Medicare and Medicaid, food stamps, massive investments in education and other programs... the bedrock of the welfare state on which we still rely was created by LBJ and his Great Society, and he accomplished it by being a masterful legislator and manipulator.

He was an awful person in many ways! And yet he did more than almost any other legislator in trying to make the country a better place. It's a massive contrast, and that is the point I am trying to make here.

I do think that the ideological sorting of the parties makes being LBJ in the current day impossible. There's not enough quids to pro quo.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i mean yglesias point is about the contradiction everyone faces in politics: 'is there a point to principles without power?'

specifically: is it actually a stand of principle to keep pro lifers (or pro gun or w/e) out of the party when the alternative is almost certainly a pro lifer republican?

personally, i think 'conservative social mores' are chimerical and false. They don't mean anything. But I don't know The Secret to getting Democrats elected in Texas or something either.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

yeah, tell it to Natsec Republican Matty from the Bush years. back then he knew republicans were willing to make the hard choices to defend our freedoms, decisions Democrats were sometimes too afraid to make, and domestic policy was an afterthought.

then came the week in 2006 everyone simultaneously realized Iraq was a bad idea, and Globalization Matty emerged chestburster-like from his preceding brand's corpse

I don't remember that at all. I never liked the guy and basically avoided reading things he said, but he still got linked a lot on the ~Bush Derangement Syndrome~ blogosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1194826909156335616

EVERYTHING THE LIBS SAID WAS BULLSHIT BECAUSE *checks notes* they drink water?

This is pathetic. I'm ashamed that we are at a stalemate with evil of such low caliber.