Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
As a person new to actually using VR, I came across puppet avatars in VRChat and it's a really fascinating idea. I feel like it's maybe the family-friendliest way of emphasizing just how boring Facebook's idea of a metaverse is by comparison.

SCheeseman posted:

VR nerds want more FOV and obviously it would make for a better experience, but I don't think it's necessarily what is needed to create the breakout product that every company is trying to make. Fidelity and FOV in Quest 2 (at least in the best case rendering scenario) are good *enough*, I feel at this point more than anything else they need the goggles to be far smaller and lighter.

If I had something exactly Quest 2 quality but with the approximate weight of a regular pair of heavy glasses or sports goggles, it would instantly become my replacement for all future monitor and TV purchases. Sure, it'll take a long time to get there, but there's somewhere along the spectrum from what we have now to that when it'll be convenient enough to be extremely appealing.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

I've never heard of this stealth game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEd505_K_cE

It's still early on development, but looks promising.

It looks interesting, but that grappling hook sound effect got really old just within the span of that video, let alone the thought of spending a whole game with it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

The only real downside I've encountered with the Quest 2 is that its field of view isn't great compared to other headsets -- it sometimes feels like viewing the world through a pair of goggles. That may be what's giving you the sense of "disconnect" from the VR world, and it is indeed a limitation of the hardware.

This is absolutely a factor to consider for anyone looking at the Quest 2 or indeed VR stuff in general right now.

Fortunately, my favorite pair of glasses have about the same FOV, so with a lens adapter fitted so I don't need the glasses spacer, it's pretty much what I'm used to already :v:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

chippy posted:

Second person on this page I've seen saying they don't need the glasses spacer with lens inserts.

I have VR optician lenses and I have to use the spacer with them because otherwise my eyelashes brush the lens and it's irritating. I have a pretty weak prescription so they aren't super thick.

Those of you using lenses without the spacer, where did you get them from? I want this.

I got mine from VRWave. Just looking at the VR Optician product listings, I think the VRWave setup is significantly slimmer—the lenses sit only a few millimeters over the Quest 2 eyepieces.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The Quest has more than enough horsepower to do VR equivalents of classic games, as proven by the Return to Castle Wolfenstein mod, etc. You don't need more powerful graphics to get a Homeworld, Rollercoaster Tycoon 2, XCOM, or whatever in VR, just companies that think the development time will actually have a return on investment.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

I was someone who spent a lot of time in Second Life, ages ago, and I've seen some loving wild builds, and it was by no means constrained by finite or Euclidean space. You could really stretch the limits of what you could do to the "land" you're given, build in the sky, build underwater, dig out valleys in the land and add primitives and make twisting, surreal cave structures and add totally abstract shapes and designs and bizarre, alien objects.

How do you do Treehouse in the Shade's impossible scenery or VKet Osaka's fake train trip with that, though?

The Eyes Have It posted:

Anyway, I think I get what you're saying but there are in fact loads of people perfectly happy being "themselves" on the internet; enough to found a juggernaut of a business built about exactly that in not even one adult's career lifetime.

Sure, but now look at the Venn diagram overlap of "people happy to be themselves on the internet, with no option to ever be guitar-playing Kermit or their favorite anime character" and "people willing to spend upwards of a thousand bucks and endure the mild pain and constant awkwardness that comes with wearing a VR headset for long periods of time".

Saukkis posted:

It might be an improvement if I could stand in VR surrounded by clothes. I could look around, flick my wrist to scroll the products past me, if I see an interesting product beckon it closer to get a life size view, turn it around, etc.

There are probably some other categories where VR could be useful. I've also been looking at RVs online. There are usually lot of pictures, but those separate pictures don't really help to get a sense what they are like inside. Some 360° pictures in VR would really be helpful. Same could ably to house shopping, but to a lesser extent.
What I'd really like to see would be accurately reproduced new cars in VR. Have avatars roughly proportional to real height and weight (some simple sliders would do) so you can tell if you'll like the sitting position and visibility, put in an imitation version of the infotainment and secondary features for each trim level, and have some prop suitcases and other junk to help get an idea of how much you can fit in the thing.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 28, 2022

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Kazy posted:

Judging by the Questies on VRChat and the little bit of Fortnite I've played, the average age of a Fortnite VR player will be 2 years old.

:yeah:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Wheezle posted:

Man that looks so boring.

My immediate thought was that it looks like a slower, less exciting version of Pistol Whip with some light Transformers theming slapped on.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Leathal posted:

Is there anything neat you can do with feet trackers besides VRChat? Gave up on fixing some Joycons with insane drift and was considering hooking them up as trackers but I keep asking myself “why would I want to do this?”

Can they integrate with stuff like the Boneworks IK?

If this is in relation to Natural Locomotion, that's not "real" body tracking, it's just using the gyro stuff in them to roughly account for footsteps, which it then loosely maps over to movement. You need an actual tracking setup like Steam lighthouses or gear like the HaritoraX for full-body tracking.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Use Virtual Desktop instead of the native Air Link. Its encoding black magic is way better, and it lets you turn down the bit rate (and graphics quality) to reduce network lag, among other relatively deep customizations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Opopanax posted:

I can't do regular movement at all without feeling quest, thank God for teleport. I kind of want to try one of those treadmills but they're like three grand minimum

VR Megathread: I can't do regular movement at all without feeling Quest

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

TIP posted:

When they demonstrated this in their video before release they were so excited about it, "No more having to choose seated mode!" and I immediately thought it sounded like an idiotic idea that would cause more problems than it solves.

Who the hell regularly switches between seated and standing play while they're playing a game?

The only case I can think of where it's relatively common is VRChat, but that's because it's more socializing than it is "a game" most of the time.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

it dont matter posted:

The virtual beatings will continue until morale improves

Do i need to connect the Q2 via a cable first to use AirLink? Trying to set it up and it's not detecting my PC.

Just use Virtual Desktop instead, it works better than AirLink anyway.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

I don't doubt it has jank but isn't that a review from a direct competitor?

In theory, the hardware should be just as useful for Virtual Desktop as it is for Air Link.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

orange juche posted:

They formally *tried* to teach us touch typing, but hell, my typing style has mutated over the decades since to where I type with maybe 4 or 5 fingers across both hands, probably thanks to playing FPS or MMOs a lot. My hands know exactly where they are and what they need to touch to type so its not an issue but yeah, I don't do the horseshit where my hands stay above the home row and "stay within their lanes", they go all over the keyboard.

I've been trying to get used to an ergo keyboard and it's been a real pain to realize that my default typing positions tend to have y/h/n done by the left hand and almost all my use of Shift with the right pinkie.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

Also, I just came up with a new type of VR locomotion that I've never seen implemented before. What if you used just your left hand to sort of manipulate an invisible "joystick" in all 8 cardinal directions? That might just feel like smooth locomotion, I don't know, but maybe adding some kind of logical, physical movement to move around would fool your brain into accepting it. Or like, have it so you grasp the air and sort of "pull" the world around. Like to strafe right, you grab and pull the world to the left, etc.

"Grab and pull the world to move it around" is basically what The Under Presents does, plus some animated squash-stretch stuff that puts it on an exponential scale so you can get a lot of precision out of it while still crossing large distances quickly.

I wouldn't be surprised if most people have overlooked it, though, since The Under Presents is a real "what the gently caress is this, even" kind of thing.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

The Eyes Have It posted:

Anyway, Razer (working with ResMed, whose whole business depends on facial interfaces and head straps) is coming out with aftermarket Quest head straps. Check it out:

Looks like it still has the basic problem that you're clamping the heavy thing right to your face. Compare to BoboVR's halo strap design:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

- The Avatar Museums. These are worth a look just to pick out some free avatars (albeit most with some variation of "SAMPLE" stuck on them) and just get an idea for what kind of avatars you might like in general. There's like six of these worlds now, I believe.

This is where I immediately point anyone who's willing to drop $5-$30 on getting a reasonably unique avatar. You'll have to navigate Japanese Booth storefronts or whatever but there's a lot of aesthetically interesting unique stuff instead of the same selection of 5-10 egirls and furries with different colors and patterns on them.

Saukkis posted:

Alternatively you could switch to Quest 2 or Pico 4 which work over USB-C or Wifi.

Virtual Desktop works well enough on Quest that if I ever have to switch back to a tethered headset I'm going to be really disappointed.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The tweet also ignores the fact that VR has significantly enhanced some flat games, not just ruined them or made them weird as he suggests. Like racing and flight sims.

If you're releasing a race or flight sim without VR support, I aint buying it. Its that important. And I know I'm not alone in that thought

What I'd really like to see at this point are sim games with VR support. SimCity/Frostpunk/Civilization/Planet Coaster/whatever would all be significantly cooler with a VR version where you have a draggable world in 3D and floating panels for your 2D UI.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Lemming posted:

Honestly I was initially a little annoyed from there being so many straight up clones instead of people doing more original things with the locomotion, but a lot/most of these are being made by teenagers who just felt really inspired to try to make something, no matter how derivative. I think this is going to be a big part of how the next generation of developers think about vr design

For the love of God why aren't more devs paying attention to what is actually engaging players instead of just making more stick locomotion zombie shooters aagagajaggahahagajhahajag

Because it's the children who are wrong. Duh.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Lister posted:

I've never heard of this type of locomotion before. Did Roberta Williams just invent a one-handed combination of WASD and mouse look for VR?

:psyduck:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I finally got Cosmonious High and I give it two 59-dimensional thumbs up. It's fairly shallow, but the characters are all immensely memorable and the goofy little puzzles and physics interactions are great.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Roundboy posted:

So one fun thing i discovered about the anker charging dock is that the magnetic connection, very common around USB charging stuff, is the opposite polarization to literally every magnetic USB charger port sold.

And anker doesn't sell the cable or any sub parts.

So if your idea (like mine) was to put a magnetic cable on all your things to use the charger dock with other attached stuff so you dont have to remove the very little usb part and can't find a replacement? You are SOL.

If a problem ever comes up or i lose it im just replacing that internal cord entirely

Given that there is no standard spec for those magnetic USB connectors, trying to mix use of them between companies just means you'll probably short something and burn your house down. So it's a good thing that Anker doesn't let you do that.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
With the theoretically upcoming Apple headset, I would be surprised if the preferred answer to 'how do you type' ends up as anything but 'use your iPhone'. Continuity controls and screen sharing between devices are already good enough that I'm sure they could sync an iPhone screen in real time and overlay it on passthrough tracking.

Mode 7 posted:

Well, dipped my toe into VRChat for the first time. Found a fun visualiser room, and a cool train-through-the-cosmos-with-lofi-hiphop room, and messed around in a movie world watching a bit of an episode of Star Trek TOS.

Then I decided that I'd stick my head into a public room to see what was going on. Bunch of children screaming over the top of each other and a dude with an Andrew Tate avatar running around quoting him, so about what I was expecting.

It's great though, feels very much like the early days of exploring the late 90s early 00s internet communities when it felt like there was a new VRML chatroom (I had to go do a bit of googling to even remember that it was called VRML) launching every other week.

For anything public in VRChat, stick to the PC-only worlds. That will get you mostly adults and older teenagers, and completely avoids the substantial demographic of small children whose parents stuck a Quest 2 on their heads in lieu of actually supervising them.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

njsykora posted:

Yeah, remember a few months back I think during a financial report when they said most people with Quests are just playing F2P games and not actually spending money on the platform.

I genuinely wonder how many of those are small children whose parents stick a VR headset on them instead of actually supervising them. I suspect it's a high percentage, given VRChat and Rec Room.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

I would like every top down 3rd person whatever you call it style of game to be VRed. Give me Divinity in Demeo style now. Civilization. StarCraft. gently caress it, FTL. All of em.

I find it deeply disappointing that I still can't play Civilization in VR by rotating a big globe around.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Riatsala posted:

This is an extremely good idea. Most of the strategy/management games I've played in VR have frankly been an ergonomic disaster because they force you to stare at the ground with a weight on your face.

I think that's going to be a design hurdle for this sort of game. The typical rts top down perspective makes less sense in a VR space. Either you put it on the ground and risk making your game uncomfortable to play or you cheat the perspective and in the VR space it looks like your units are walking up and down a wall like insects. I guess shrinking things down to board game scale is an option, too, but I haven't seen many games take that route.

Just make it so you can grab, move, rotate, and zoom/shrink the entire play area however you want. I think the easiest metaphor for Civ games and other grand strategy games is a living room-sized globe that you can grab and rotate around, but for other stuff there's no reason to actually limit the user to interacting with a 'board' in a single preset location.

Gods of Gravity does something like this, where you have "jump to point" and "grab and pull" controls and you're in the middle of the space playing field (including being able to see the other player and know what they're paying attention to) instead of looking down or over at things from a distance. It's missing scaling, but that's more of an intentional balance aspect since matches can be very quick (on the order of minutes) and they don't want a zoomed-out view to be the only optimal option.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Black August posted:

lol nothing except games and industry use, the tech is still nowhere near being good for practical AR applications unless Apple’s set has monster good passthrough and a 4+ hour battery

Given all the rumors of separate battery packs, my personal bet is that they've jumped on the BoboVR philosophy and it'll be driven mostly by an external battery pack intended to be switched out mid-session, with a Magsafe or iPad-pogo-pin dock for multiple battery packs.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

The Eyes Have It posted:

There's a decent interview about the Omni One VR treadmill-thing: https://skarredghost.com/2023/05/18/virtuix-ceo-interview/

Couple things I learned: the company has been making commercial units for location-based entertainment stuff, so it's not their first kick at the can. Also, they took the unusual step of tying a headset in with it. Makes more sense after I read about it and the need to ensure titles are integrated with their hardware properly (apparently they have an SDK that makes it easy to do so, but doesn't everyone say that? :v: )

These systems in principle don't really thrill me I have to admit, but I'd love to try one.

It's a cool idea, but I feel like forcing a specific headset is going to kill it for a lot of the high-end hyper-enthusiast market they're specifically aiming for, especially with the Apple whatever around the corner that has a plausible chance of blowing everything else out of the water in terms of raw specs.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Leathal posted:

I suppose it’s not surprising given the current state of VR, but the Eye of the Temple dev put up a fairly candid postmortem of his first month of sales on the Quest platform and it’s looking like “only” a 2.25x multiplier over the first month’s (poor) sales for the Steam PCVR release. He thinks that he might finally break even this year (solo dev iirc).

There’s a guy further down who links to an ongoing Twitter thread that extrapolates relative sales numbers based on achievements. Some pretty crazy poo poo - Moss 2 only had ~30k Quest players with the earliest achievement, seven months after release.

I know none of this is exact, but who the hell is going to be pitching VR game development if the sequel to one of the more well known VR titles is only pushing maybe 40-50k units in half a year on the largest VR platform?

https://reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/13t6cix/my_vr_adventure_eye_of_the_temple_came_out_on/

On the other hand, Gorilla Tag has had days with 90,000 concurrent users.

I unironically wonder if having the capability for game cartridges (even if it was just a branded SD card with an APK on it) would help, given the number of parents for whom the Quest 2 is mentally labeled as a game console for the kids.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I think controllers are way better than just hand tracking because buttons, but if the hand tracking gets good enough there might be some interesting space there to have all the positional stuff come from that and have controllers that are just generic low-latency Bluetooth controllers but one-handed.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

The front-facing display isn't as awful as expected. Has a really strong vignette and tinting on there in passthrough.

I think it's extremely smart that they made it look like the inside of one of those inexplicably lit helmets in assorted scifi series. It's probably the best bet they have to make it a futuristic cool effect instead of a totally dweeby one.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
"Apple's first 3D camera"
"Imagine being able to relive your daughter's birthday"

Who the gently caress is wearing a VR headset during their daughter's birthday?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Harminoff posted:

I wonder if it can do hdmi in like the nreals? Cause the big thing holding me back from using it more with my deck is the static screen.

At a minimum it can act as an external monitor for a Mac, Virtual Desktop style. No indication yet if this is generic functionality, or if it relies on the same hardware encoding optimizations as Sidecar.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Between the LIDAR scanner and dual depth cameras, showing off app panels and virtual characters going behind real-world objects, giving app panels fake shadows based on real lighting, and talking about mapping the room with sound, I suspect they're going hard on having an accurate virtual model of your real environment being an inherent part of how everything works from day 1. That might be the one key new thing they're really bringing to the table.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Working with Unity? poo poo, are they actually going to let VRChat in?

Bad Munki posted:

Ahh well there's that covered, then. You get an upgraded memoji.

The real question is, can I use the LIDAR scanner to map my face to my toothbrush man avatar?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

I had to answer a call, did we get PCVR yet? Or it sounds like maybe they need to rebuild the app and re-release on Apple's platform?

You aren't going to run x86 stuff on an ARM chip in any case.

I'm not seeing anything that would get in the way of somebody making a Virtual Desktop-equivalent app for this, though.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Black August posted:

jesus christ. it had BETTER have VR Chat access at this level of bullshit

VRChat mentioned that they were actively rebuilding a bunch of stuff to allow running on iOS, and suddenly that makes way more sense if that was just a side effect of getting it to where it can run on this thing.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

Opinion:

Most of what presented was a iPad (all their apps, their integration into the Apple ecosystem) + Quest 2 with higher screen resolution and better audio (browsing, multi task windows around, 3d movies, using it on a plane, using it as a big rear end tv, even the feature that shows the real world if someone enters your Guardian, etc). Only for $3499.

Ultimately, they have the same problem as everyone: lack of compelling software. The Disney app looked like something it could be in Quest 2 too.

Someone make a funny sentence to put in the thread title.

The complete lack of actual VR games in the presentation, even simple demoing-a-specific-feature ones, is just weird. I wonder if that's a strategy thing to try and avoid "Apple can't into game" talk, or if they genuinely haven't figured out how to square it with their no-controllers stance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

njsykora posted:

It also felt from what I saw that it was being pitched as kind of a alternative to a MacBook Pro which it is not.

At all.

I immediately think of upper management types and execs who never need to go outside the boundary of App Store apps, and for whom a nominal productivity upgrade that's also a personal movie theater and is "cool" because Apple makes for an appealing business expense.