Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Really liking all the minor platforming skips in Ori 2. Using the midair upward attack with the hammer can act as an additional jump if you roll out of it at the top, I must have used it about 20 times already to get to places slightly out of reach. Nothing sequence breaking as far as story progression goes but there have been a few times where I've been able to circumvent the intended way of getting various powerups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

This acquisition opens up an exciting new future where Microsoft pays me to play Heroes of the Storm for some reason.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

From everything I've seen, if you want a game that's actually just a job and isn't fun you should play EVE Online.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Fair.

Any recommendations for Steam games specifically for younger (7 years and under) kids?

Spyro Reignited Trilogy

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

This video game is not for kids. It is a game made by masochists that basically amounts to a long series of minigames, each one demanding absolute millisecond-perfect performances out of almost all of them to progress.

Like no poo poo I got less frustrated playing Celeste than I did playing Spyro.

The second and third ones to an extent, but the first game is a relatively straightforward collectathon platformer without much variation. Easy enough for young kids to understand and get through, excluding the level Tree Tops which is like something out of Romhack and has supercharge jumps which may or may not be possible depending on how the physics aligns with your FPS.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Hub Cat posted:

Not yet CS:GO, Dota 2, Dota Underlords, Artifact and Alyx all came out in the last decade and that's not including the collabs like CS online.
(I'd probably also consider the Link and the Controller as a singular product personally but that might be too far)

Artifact was such a disappointment. So much hype about Valve finally going back to developing original IPs and it's a clumsily designed card game that's dead on arrival.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Serephina posted:

Honest question: Why? From what I've seen it's exactly CS, pistol rounds bombs and all, with the added rainbow effects of a bunch of superpowers that are popular nowadays. Gameplay is still a bunch of people peeking and headshooting each other. What's so bad about it?

Valorant is a game where almost every character is one that I wouldn't want to play if they were in a different game. The abilities are based mostly on sight lines or gaining information rather than something that feels more directly impactful, mostly stuff like deploying smoke screens or sentry cameras in 20 different variations. You also can't aim unless you're standing still, which is probably more accurate to real life but not fun to actually play.

Maybe if you played a bunch of Counterstrike it would feel more natural but I bounced off it hard. At least it's free so there's nothing to lose from giving it a try.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Fuligin posted:

im hippin and hoppin for klonoa today!!!

Same, only saw that it was coming out a few days ago and Door to Phantomille is an old favorite of mine. Looked at the reviews to see if the port was any good (apparently it is) and one of them was saying Klonoa is one of the most expensive games on the PS1 these days. Had no idea, going by Ebay it looks like the old disk I have stashed away is worth somewhere in the range of $400-700, some going as high as several thousand dollars. Might be worth digging through some old boxes to find where it is even if I'm unlikely to actually sell it.

$40 is kind of a lot for a remaster but I'm going to grab it anyway. Getting both games in one makes it more worthwhile even if the second game never stuck with me like the first one.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 8, 2022

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Oldstench posted:

And that's why I don't like ONI. I don't like a game where you can start a death spiral one hour in, but it's not apparent until hour 10 or 12 or whatever. I understand that I'm in the minority on this one, but I need a game to respect my time just a bit more.

Being able to speed up time helps with that a lot. I never got super far into the game (only to early oil production) but once you've blundered through the early game once it's a lot easier to get back to mid-game when you already know what needs to be done and can have it all play out at max speed. The consequences of the easy mistakes didn't seem too bad either from what I recall. My entire colony was full of toxic air, the floors covered in vomit and everyone had slimelung but as far as I could tell that only amounted to a slight decrease in their productivity. It wasn't until temperature shifts killed my food production and people started starving to death that I actually felt a need to restart, I think it was because I had uncovered a steam vent somewhere nearby and didn't know the heat would propagate outwards and kill all my crops. That's only a one-time thing that will happen relatively early and once you know it's something to consider it's easy enough to just use thermal insulation and avoid the problem entirely.

Been thinking of jumping back in, I'd like to eventually understand the game enough that I can get all the systems working together properly. I think I ended my last run trying to develop some emergency HVAC system to vent heat into space which wasn't working, I'm sure if you know what you're doing you can have organized bases where all the air is clean and at the right temperature. Electrical circuits only being able to handle a certain amount of power before shorting out was also kind of a conceptual hurdle after playing a bunch of Satisfactory where you can run infinite power through the wires.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

i learned it in third grade in the 90s :confused:

My teachers in the 90s insisted that we had to learn it and that everyone would be writing in cursive all the time when we were older.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

better than release, still poor. performance is worse than it should be and there's still stuttering in some places. multiplayer is unplayable half the time due to a bug that disconnects you 2 minutes after connection.

I'm not sure they're going to make any more changes to performance and they seem content to let the multiplayer stay broken. there's no sign that improvements are coming so if you were waiting for more improvements before purchasing, just play it now.

Did they at least fix the mid-fight cutscene when Rykard transforms? There were like five different points where it would freeze up for a second and it seemed to happen regardless of which system you were using.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

How is the Klonoa port?

It's fine. It does a good enough job of recreating the gameplay of the original but I felt the new graphics took away a lot of the charm. Cutscenes in particular were very stylized and expressive in the PS1 version, in the new one everything is rendered in the same engine as the gameplay and just feels kind of flat and uninspired. The scene of the Moon Kingdom rising out of the ground in particular was a standout moment in the original and the remake doesn't do it justice at all. You go from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge7ZKcuQ1fg

to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvkvLQb_xIE&t=9115s

Not to say that it's bad, but I think I'm always going to load up an emulator and play the original every time.

Haven't played the second game yet, I might like it more since I never played it on the PS2 enough to have any real nostalgia or point of comparison.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Serephina posted:

Yea, now that I think about it I can't recall any Remaster of a game that I cared about that wasn't deeply flawed in some way. Homeworld, Battlezone, HoMM3, etc. I guess RE2, but that's not a remaster so much as a remake. There's always some terrible fuckup that makes you want to use the original binaries instead.

Toys for Bob did a great job on remaking the original Spyro trilogy. It's the best way to play the first game in the series, the second is about as good as the original and the third was also good even though it was handed off to another studio. Besides that I can't really think of any that manage to live up to the originals, even the Crash remakes from TFB have some wonky platforming sections that don't handle as well as the PS1 source material.

Trials of Mana was solid but has the same problem as Klonoa where everything looks kind of low-budget. The Spyro trilogy feels like it had as much funding as it needed for it to be great and was made by people passionate about the project, a lot of the other ones feel like the studios are just putting out feelers to see if anyone still cares about the franchise and handing the task off to people who are just doing it as a job.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

RhoA posted:

Yeah, I agree with you. At this point, if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, may as well just wait to see what the 4 series is bringing to the table.

Going by what's been leaked, it looks like the 4000 series is going give a significant performance boost over the 3000 series at the cost of requiring more power. Assuming the crypto dip holds and they launch with reasonable prices/availability it looks like it's worth it to wait.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

I make VR animations but do most of my work watching the distorted 2D version because wearing my Quest 2 for more than about 30 minutes gives me a splitting headache. VR itself is a good idea, having to strap a brick to your face to use it is a pretty severe drawback.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Rinkles posted:

might be a question of needing the tech to mature. the playstation vr made me nauseous because it was too heavy, and the resolution was crap.

It's mostly the weight at this point. The Quest 1 resolution was low enough that you could clearly make out individual pixels, the Quest 2 increases that resolution significantly while reducing the weight at the same time and allowing for higher frame rates. Give it another few generations and I could recommend it without caveats. Playing Resident Evil 4 in VR was a great experience for the 30-60 minutes that I could tolerate it, but there were a few times where I was desperate to get to a save point so I could take the headset off. Once or twice I just gave up and quit without saving.

E: Also the mandatory Facebook connection is garbage. Get rid of that poo poo.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

I died in Disco Elysium because the chair I was sitting in was uncomfortable.

Great game, 10/10

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Upsidads posted:

It's pretty neat that resident evil 7 isn't vr on PC still

There's a guy who spent a long time making a VR mod and released it a few months ago. My results weren't great but other people have tried it and said it's even better than playing the official PSVR version. I'm still using a GTX 1070, it might just have been that it doesn't have enough grunt to run it properly. I was getting a weird effect where it didn't seem like both eyes on the headset were matching up correctly and that might have been the reason. Worth a try at least if you have a VR headset and a relatively recent graphics card, the same mod also allows you to enable VR on RE8 if you want to try that as well.

You can download the files here:

https://github.com/praydog/REFramework/releases/tag/v1.2

There are some Youtube videos of how to get it working if it gives you trouble.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

The Quest 2 was a hard sell even at the previous prices. Upping the price by $100 at the same time component prices are dropping is a laugh, what a clown-rear end company.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

is that like the Mormon stuff with the bubbles

Two people loving but they're both disinterested.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Not sure how good my town layout is in Cult of the Lamb but I'm ~3 hours in and liking it a lot so far. Completing tasks like building structures or cutting down trees can take a while but I should probably just be delegating most of that to followers while I run off to gather more resources in the dungeons. Set it to highest difficulty and it doesn't feel like I'm in any danger of my cult collapsing, at least not yet.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Oldstench posted:

Does Arkham Asylum run well on PC? Seem to recall it being a pretty lovely port back in the day.

Arkham Asylum and City always ran fine for me, Arkham Knight was the one where the PC port was botched so bad that they completely removed it from the store for a while. Modern hardware has now caught up enough that it runs fine even with the terrible optimization, I went through it a while back at 2560x1440 on a GTX 1070 and performance was decent. Might have to turn off the experimental Nvidia effects, I'm not sure they ever got those working properly.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Spiderman remake is a lot of fun and makes me wish I had a modern graphics card. Still looks and runs great on a 1070 but I'm wondering what it would be like with some of the fancy RTX stuff turned on.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

RodShaft posted:

What settings are you using? I'm on a 1060 6gb and am playing with settings but it's hard to tell what's worth it for the performance hit.

Almost everything on medium, textures bumped to high so things look a bit better without much performance hit. Only other change is setting ambient occlusion to HBAO+ since I've never liked SSAO, I don't think that's much of a performance hit either. Past the days of being able to set everything to high, maybe once the 4000 series drops and I finally buy a 3070. Game is optimized really well from what I've played despite the old hardware, the only noticeable FPS drops I've seen are story sections when you're inside F.E.A.S.T.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

sounds like a whole bunch of fail and a shitload of gently caress

What, this doesn't look good to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl6XFY79i_A

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

buglord posted:

About how many hours? I didn’t know it could be beaten. Thought it was a colony sim of sorts. Any replay value?

Took me about 15 hours on the hardest difficulty doing basically everything. It's a great game but doesn't really have much in the way of replay value, I don't think different base building choices would have made much of a difference in how it progressed. The main downside is that the combat is kind of shallow and was starting to feel a bit dull by the time I finished, it probably would have overstayed its welcome if it was a 30 or 40 hour game.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I succumbed and bought vampire survivors before the price increase, but I doubt I'll like it once I play it.

Vampire Survivors is like freebasing video games. One of the best $3 I ever spent.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

MonkeyforaHead posted:

idk how I manage to be bad at a game that literally plays itself but I have never come even close to beating a stage of VS; I genuinely thought it was an endless mode with a pretty hard cap based on DPS checks until I saw a friend stream it. It's pretty hard to dislike but even considering all the "grind for the sake of grind" games I've been suckered into this one apparently does not whatsoever produce the serotonin for me that it does for everyone else.

You start out relatively weak, it takes a while of unlocking new passives/weapons/arcanas before you get to the point where you kill everything just by existing. Knowing which weapon/passive combos you need for evolutions is also extremely important and most new players won't even know about it at all.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

The truest option: making tape crosshairs on your monitor

My monitor has a setting to enable this and it is complete garbage.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Dome Keeper (formerly Dome Romantik) is out today. Any strong goon opinions one way or the other?

Enjoyed the demo, not sure the full game would hold my attention for long. Like the post above says, I got the feeling that even with multiple types of dome to mix up combat, runs would end up playing out in mostly the same way because you absolutely need stuff like carry weight/speed/digging no matter what. Wishlisted it anyway, will probably grab it if it goes on sale for ~$10 or so.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Randallteal posted:

~80 percent of Elden Ring playtime is pretty chill vibes.

Sometimes when I want to relax I'll put on the Elden Ring OST and take an afternoon nap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZCD5iPByFA

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Mordja posted:

Assuming the "first" game does well, I wonder what the plan with the Dead Space reboot will be going forward. A remake of the second one seems obvious enough, but DS3 is not fondly remembered and effectively killed the entire franchise so I could see them diverging heavily from there.

DS2 remake maybe, no chance they remake DS3. I'm one of the few people who still likes the game despite all its flaws but they absolutely should not waste resources remastering it. Not sure I even want a DS4 given the way the DS3 DLC ended, hopefully Callisto Protocol does well and carries on as the spiritual successor.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Veotax posted:

Trailer for the Dead Space remake came out, game's releasing on January 27th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTDJNZ9cK1w

Takeaways:
It looks like Dead Space 1 but prettier.
Isaac isn't a silent protagonist anymore and has dialogue like the sequels. Sounds like the same voice actor.

Looks like they also changed the zero-gravity mechanics from the point-to-point jumping in the original to the free-floating way it worked in DS2/3. Probably a change for the better even if they might have to redesign some areas.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

I wanted to like this game so much but all the levels were designed by trolls. You can be extremely careful looking for each box to try and get the gem at the end but there will almost always be one or two that are hidden out of the camera frame or in places you would never find without a guide. Doesn't help that levels are much longer than the original games, it just got demoralizing going slowly trying to check every possible nook for boxes and then seeing 255/257 at the end anyway.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

This tweet was deleted so I have no idea what people are arguing about

Crash 4 coming to Steam instead of being a Battlenet exclusive.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Picked up Dome Keeper a few days after release and then SteamWorld Dig 2 since it had been on my radar for a while and it's on sale for $5. Good time for gaming if you're someone who liked the flash game Motherload from like 20 years ago.

Dome Keeper held my attention for much longer than I expected. It's kind of barebones for a game that's out of early access now, but even with only one character and two dome types there's enough variation that runs stay interesting. Lots of different achievements that incentivize you to play differently, some quite difficult to obtain. Perfect game for playing while listening to a podcast, there's another character coming out some time soon and I hope they expand it further beyond that.

SteamWold Dig 2 is a great, relatively short game that does a lot with the limited square grid digging format. I thought it was a procedurally generated infinite-loot type of game but it's actually crafted levels with a story, something more akin to Ori and the Blind Forest but with digging. Didn't really know what to expect from it since I never played the first one but it has great level design and a lot of the puzzle caves are genuinely clever. Really rewards paying close attention and helpfully puts check marks on the puzzle caves to let you know you've found everything there. Kind of like Hollow Knight where you feel limited by your movement options early on until you start unlocking stuff like the grappling hook and jetpack which let you go anywhere you want. Never really hear much about this game even though it has overwhelmingly positive reviews on Steam, one of the best $5 I've spent.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

you can randomly explode 90 minutes in because of ??? and need to do CSI on a recording of the death to figure out what even happened.

That's half the fun

Had no idea what happened until I watched the replay over a few times. Killed and froze the shotgun guy, as I was dropping down to grab the lava flask his frozen body fell and broke it spraying the lava everywhere.

Other times the cause of death is more obvious.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Last I checked the eye cipher in Noita was still unsolved with some cryptologists saying it was probably impossible to solve with so little data given. It has an absurd amount of content for a game where the majority of players are only ever going to interact with the basic route of going down the levels and killing the boss at the end. I've finished a few runs and gone through The Tower and parallel worlds a bit but doing stuff like making giga black holes in the moon and down in hell is nuts.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

pentyne posted:

First time checking the Steam queue in a long time, multiple "potion" games, is that the new game thing? Also a bunch of "backroom" games that look like 100% streamer-bait for content.

The Backrooms is an SCP Foundation thing based on an old 4chan post and later popularized by this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4dGpz6cnHo

Kind of like Slenderman where it also spawned 100 games that all look like garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

450 hours is way too many for a game as lovely as For Honor but I still like it despite its many flaws.