Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

When the SARS panic happened, one of my friends went to China on a trip and when they came home their family wouldn't let them in the house for a month. People are always panicky and dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Charlz Guybon posted:

A quick google search says 10-25% of the population gets the flu each year.

Using the Wuhan numbers I quoted earlier as a base (3.68% dead, 20.74% serious, 4.68% critical)

If 10% get sick that's 27,600,000 dead world wide, 35,100,000 critical and 155,550,000 serious.
If 15% get sick that's 41,400,00 dead world wide, 52,650,000 critical and 233,325,000 serious
If 20% get sick that's 55,200,000‬ dead world wide, 70,200,000 critical and 311,100,000‬ serious.
If 25% get sick that's 69,000,000 dead world wide, 87,750,000 critical and 388,875,000‬ serious.

Obviously hospitals would be overwhelmed by these numbers and if critical cases necessitates a respirator or ventilator nearly all of them would die since there aren't nearly enough.

This is dumb.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

sincx posted:

Am I doing this right?

No, you should be playing Civ 5.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Well my uncle works at the CDC and he says everyone in the world is already dead.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Also that you can get Luigi in SMW if you beat the game 10 times in a row with no deaths.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Anyone panicking about this is dumb. If you are so bored you need to fantasize about this virus killing us all, go for a hike or something.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Bardeh posted:

I wonder how many people die of regular seasonal flu in Wuhan this time of year - if that number was counted up like the deaths from NuFlu it would probably ease some fears a bit. Flu is nasty poo poo, but is this flu actually nastier than normal once you strip away the hype and rolling news coverage?

It's probably about the same. People don't understand risk.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Like seriously this thing is way less contagious and less deadly than a lot of the diseases all those wine moms refuse to vaccinate their children against.

Measles has an R0 of 12-18 for comparison. Mumps is 10-12. Whooping cough is 12-17.

Diphtheria has an R0 of 6-7 and a fatality rate of 5-10% in healthy people and loving 20% in the very young and old.

Yes, but thing is new, therefore super scary to idiots.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Books On Tape posted:

The numbers China is reporting are trash. The real number of deaths is in the many thousands. We’ll probably never know. We have a country that is willing to do everything and anything for their economy (child labor, counterfeiting, sweatshops, currency manipulation just to name a few). You think they will effectively shut down their economy for several weeks and quarantine their largest cities for a virus that has only caused a couple hundred deaths? Not a chance in hell that happens. The numbers they are claiming is a steaming pile of garbage and is intellectually dishonest. No country on the planet (and especially not that country) would be taking the measures that they are if the numbers that they are claiming are anywhere close to accurate.

lol

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

What reason would you have to skip the flu shot? The flu kills poo poo tons of people every year.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Mandatory forced vaccinations for all.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

coronavirus posted:

Do you remember we used to have GBS threads about peak oil back in 2002 and they were filled with some people saying to bury gold and others saying nothing is ever going to happen calm down?

This is kinda the same.

Pretty much. There is always a contingent of idiots who think everything is the end of the world.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

unpacked robinhood posted:

How is India still unaffected, this seems like the ideal place if you thrive on no hygiene and concentrated poverty

As others have speculated, the virus may hate heat. If true, it will disappear soon enough on its own.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Burt Sexual posted:

Yeah I’m calling tomorrow

They will decline my cancellation and I’ll eat 10k then rebook rooms in Miami or key west

Fun

I will take your seats if you like. I will offer 25 bucks.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

Beijing is going into quarantine mode over this virus that they have been unable to contain but sure go ahead and go on your international trip lol nothing to worry about

He is going to the Caribbean, so it will be fine. Unless he is still going to cancel, in which case my offer(25 big ones) is still open.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Books On Tape posted:

I went on Amazon and bought a 25 pound bucket of pinto beans, a 25 pound bucket of rice, a 50 gallon rainwater collection barrel that I could fill with a hose. Based on a previous recommendation, bought the 80 gallon BOB that could be placed in the tub, and a propane cooking stove. I’ll buy a propane tank next time I’m near Home Depot. Have about 25 pounds of flour I use to make pasta with, and enough canned veggies and other pantry items that my family wouldn’t have to leave the house if necessary for at least 6-8 weeks if properly rationed, even if utilities were out.

I’m not going to go more overboard than that. Cost about $200 for all of the stuff I just bought, and if it proves to be unnecessary, I can water the lawn with the water, use the beans and rice over time, and have a portable stove (can also use butane) for camping.

Feel better that family could hunker down in the unlikely event, and that I don’t have to go panic buying anything even if things become evidently serious.

Couple weeks ago, I also dropped $170 stocking up on general medical supplies: Masks, warm mister, decongestants, and vapor products to keep lungs clear.

Edit: I also live in Texas, and spring isn’t too far off. When at Home Depot, I’ll also invest in seeds. Have a nice garden in the backyard that currently isn’t planted. Would be a good idea to change that this season. Will grow lots of green beans and peas and other veggies that could go well with rice and beans.

lol

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Jamsta posted:

Yeah boissssss

lol again

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

We need more crazy stockpiling stories on this thread. Spill you crazy and paranoid goons.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

stephenthinkpad posted:

https://twitter.com/tbs_news/status/1228319053489434626

The Japanese guy who transported a patient got the virus even though he was wearing goggles and mask. This motherfucking virus can go into any hole you expose!

goatse man is hosed

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Considering how damaging this is turning out to be to China's manufacturing and economy I wonder how long it'll be until someone tries to weaponize it with a bunch of asymptomatic carriers being sent to another country. :tinfoil:

That's the good stuff.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

There Bias Two posted:

I'm not saying it should be censored, it's just that there are maybe a handful of people on these forums that have the ability to actually critically evaluate papers in virology/epidemiology and weigh in on whether or not their conclusions are credible. It doesn't make any sense to be sharing it with laypeople, because it has close to zero positive benefit at best and creates a lot of misconceptions and panic at worst.

However, idiots panicking over things that they don't understand is hilarious, so I say we give it a pass.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I died from the virus last week and now am just a meat shell piloted to give bad advice on the internet.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Oh, the best way to protect yourself from the virus is to find someone who is infected and make out with them.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

ma i married a tuna posted:

Doctors in five U.S. cities will begin testing patients with flu-like symptoms for the new coronavirus, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday.

The coronavirus test will only be given to patients who test negative for the flu. So far, the testing protocol will be implemented in Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco and Seattle, though more cities will be added.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/5-u-s-cities-start-testing-patients-flu-symptoms-coronavirus-n1136941

No need to test for the virus, it just wants to be friends

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Computer Serf posted:

maybe try thinking for a second instead of contrarian shitposting

the term is “influenza like illness”, and when someone is symptomatic and tests negative for the flu it means they’re infected with something else, thus testing for ncov etc begins

Yup, should test all of the 10 billion people who get the flu each year, with the lovely test that has a bunch of false positives. No issues at all with this.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Computer Serf posted:

:shuckyes:

hmm influenza like illness symptoms are actually the common cold have you tried telling the medical community about your thesis here

lol, this guy is great

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

MightySwine posted:

5 ppm does exceed public health standards. The best numbers I can find are from this paper. They killed 90-99% airborne viruses with similar concentration.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02786820600796590

I'm concerned that UV only gets clothing from one angle and doesn't penetrate into the fibres/folds.

However, UV of right wavelength is very effective at destroying ozone. What if I put a UV lamp outside of my "ozone room" door to stand guard?

lol

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Anyone panicking here just has the flu. Chill.
Edit: Though, of course, you can totally die from the flu.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

MarcusSA posted:

I said this in the other thread but I’ll say it here too.

If you can change how your 401k/ investment accounts are allocated you’d be a drat fool not to move them to the most secure investing possible as soon as possible.

Ok so nothing happens? You lost out on a few % return over the short term. If the markets do take a huge poo poo your money would be a lot more secure and you could save your self a substantial amount of money.

We were talking about it at work and we all know people that lost literally 100s of thousands nearly overnight in 2008.

Not saying it’s going to be nearly that bad but the market is definitely going to dip and no one is really sure how far it’s going to go.

It literally takes like 3 min ( with Voya at least) to change it and IMO you’d be a fool not to do it for the short term.

lol

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Pick posted:

Goons do this to one another. They frenzy, like a big bowl of neon tetras

Yup. It happens a lot and never amounts to anything.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

Or, it could be that the virus can survive for 9 days on surfaces and she re-caught it by touching something in her home. What if all of the “severe” cases we are seeing are second-time infections, and that’s how it kills you. I can think of at least one severe case I’ve read about where the person had the sniffles for a week, felt better for a few days, and then got dramatically worse again and had to be hospitalized.

If this is true, who is to say you can’t get infected a third or forth time? Or however many it takes...?

This is legit the first time I’ve been scared during all this. :ohdear: Talk me down, goons. Tell me I’m an idiot.

Your immune system doesn't work like this.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's just a flu guys it's all gonna blow over lol

pretty much

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Argentum posted:

On the bright side this is probably the catalyst to crash the markets and save us from climate change, and in particular will destroy the conservative and liberal parties that had undermined healthcare systems across the world. Like lol even with an extremely low mortality rate for people under 30 this is going to probably rack up a global death count larger than the holocaust or ussr famines. And they're gonna be seen as responsible for this getting out of control

lol

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Cool, traffic will be light on Monday.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

My company has stated that if you have any flu like symptoms to stay home and don't come in. Now that someone died locally(Washington state) I'm betting much of the state will stay at home on Monday.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

For now you can laugh at fema camps not being real (until they’re in full swing in a few months)

Martial law, suspended presidential election and more, coming to the United States!

lol

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

bomb posted:

So it seems like there is less hysteria around all this, even here in the PNW so I'm wondering what the future holds at this point. What is everyone planning on doing with their TP cache?

Gonna upgrade to 2 squares per wipe, living the life of luxury here

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Washington is pretty locked down right now. The largest college in the state has gone full online, large gatherings are being canceled left and right, stores are out of many essentials, and masks are everywhere.
I'm on vacation this week so it will be interesting watching how things play out.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Panic, don't panic, just stop arguing like mega dorks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Hobo Clown posted:

OK yeah, that was a bad example and I apologize. Obviously you can't toss any rando into a 18-wheeler.

If poo poo gets dire could you start hiring a dozen randos to carry the loads in a dozen U-Hauls? Or is that inviting just as much chaos?

The logistics of this would be a nightmare and probably worse than doing nothing.