Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I've got a flight booked to London and Paris in June. Really banking on this whole "coronavirus" thing blowing over within the next couple months

Yeah, I'm heading from the US to Scotland in July and wondering if it's gonna happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

anyone else rather this burn through the population than feel even the slightest bit of infringement on their freedom? Or am I the only selfish rear end in a top hat?

Good username/post combo but nah.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Truck Stop Stall posted:

This kind of thing is sick. It's weird when "guy who makes ghoulish jokes" doubles down on it when people are dying

The 20-something dickhead behind the counter at the pharmacy asked me 'Got the coronavirus yet?' and then laughed to himself, 'Man, the mass hysteria is just crazy over this, it's nothing.' It took everything in me to only ask him with the deadest eyes I could manage, 'Do you honestly find this funny?' and he rushed out some mewling apology.

I don't really care if people wanna make jokes but that dude's gonna be on the front lines and that galled me.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Sucrose posted:

Welp, as a “non-essential” employee at my workplace, I’m on work-from-home duty for the next three weeks, who else is in the same boat?

Basically everyone at my work is working from home except my team, at least for this weekend. Even so, we're going to 'One at home, one at work' for the next few days until we can get our poo poo in order by Monday afternoon. Innovation via contamination!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I helped my parents dig in on Thursday with groceries/cleaning supplies and we shared a meal at the dinner table but I stayed at least a meter away from my mom the entire time. She's in her early 70's and received a kidney about 8 years ago so she's on standard transplant meds but she's otherwise pretty healthy. I washed my hands as soon as I got to the house and I don't have any symptoms at all but I'm feeling super anxious that I might've passed this poo poo on to her. I'd rather be hacking my lungs out then wondering.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Lamech posted:

are there any reports from retail goons of ammunition being stockpiled, like more than normal, due to this, or have people not yet thought about how they're going to guard their toilet paper castles?

This is a store in Los Angeles. Five hour wait.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Is it a good sign if assholes passing by in cars scream at me to go inside while I'm getting some air on my stoop at 2 am? I feel like it's a slight over abundance of caution but ultimately a positive thing.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Maraudr

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

There's always airtime for medications. Get your skin pills, dick pills and heart pills now!

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I feel like it's getting handled despite the people in charge of handling it.

My local grocery store here in Michigan is moving to have their first open hour (6-7am) be for 60+ customers only, which it basically is already. That's nice to see but the shelves are getting real, real bare. No chicken, eggs, milk, even sausage and beef is getting really low. Plenty of bologna and a smattering of hot dogs, that's about it for protein. No bread, beans or rice, very low quantities of canned veggies and soups and this has been since Sunday morning.

Plenty of hummus though! The foreign food section has everything except tortillas.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Clitch posted:

So honest question:

Has anybody else bought a gun or started looking? I'm afraid this schizophrenic response from multiple layers of government in the U.S. is going to cause some serious unrest. This is us reaping 20+ years of garbage news media and politics eroding the public trust.

A gun is probably one of the worst things you can buy in this situation.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Just go down to the job store and get a new job, gently caress, it ain't hard, just lower the bucket into the job well and get a whole mouthful of crisp, clean job in your mouth, how hard can it be

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

This poo poo is stressful as gently caress because any time you feel even remotely off you're gonna wonder if you caught the Roni.

Yeah, any time my knees ache, or I get a tickle in my throat, I start wondering if I can take a deep breath or not and my anxiety kicks in. It's been like this for a week and it's exhausting. I go to bed wondering how I'll feel in the morning now.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

It's like the saying goes, get busy living then get busy dyin'.

That's how it goes, right?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Maybe.

Ccughs can be forceful, the opening is large, and it’s right in line with the mouth. Tape some fabric around the hole and now we’re talking.

Some of the newer models block that valve with a plastic shield that directs the air path straight down. The head strap of my old respirator snapped and since it was years old, I picked up this model at a big box store a couple months ago for resin work.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

dr_rat posted:

I'm pretty sure even many years from now there will still be massive questions over what the really numbers were in many developing countries. But yeah what ever it is it's probably really depressing. :(

(as The Scientist said, if a good charity is found to help out people in India dealing with this, please do everyone!)

There will be massive questions over what the real numbers were in the United States since our testing is just so loving' substandard in so many places. Got a headache and the sniffles? Go home, fucko, no test for you! Got a sore throat but no fever? gently caress you! Gasping for air and running a 104F fever? Well, we'd test you, if we had any but we don't, sorry.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

How do these democrat hoax people explain the entire world shutting down as well?

All those people are rubes and idiots, unlike them. They're smart. It's the basic foundation of all conspiracy theories, feeding into the human desire to be in the know, to be special because of secret knowledge the rest of the world is too dumb to understand.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Mr Tall posted:

So, tonight, my 6 year old woke up crying his heart out worried that he was going to die of coronavirus.

He wanted to know where we'd bury him, and would it be close to the house because otherwise we might forget him.

My wife lost it a while ago, and I'm trying to do that be strong for them poo poo, but I'm really struggling now. Typing this out to you goons helps, so apologies if this is all E/N poo poo or whatever.

You're a good dad.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

My $1200 is now pending in my account, so it was deposited sometime in the past 4 hours or so.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Synthetic Dreams posted:

There has already been an anti lockdown protest in Michigan?

There was, yes. One thing to keep in mind though is that protests like that one are performed by a very loud but very small minority. Most people know the orders to shelter in place and limit non essential travel are for the good of the public health and safety. They also know the protesters are giant bitch babies who think they, to quote the fuckin' president, 'have the right to do whatever we want'. They're viewed as spoiled rear end in a top hat toddlers having a tantrum because they can't go to the hair salon.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Can this get posted on every page that mentions how this is really only a problem for old folks?

https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/status/1252051459610480642

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

The guys who work there are skilled and there is a very strong union presence. You cant replace them with a random dude off the street. The place will have to close down eventually for a while if too many people are all sick at once, regardless of what Trump wants.

I believe you but the problem is that people like Trump and other rich scum look at blue collar meat plant workers and go 'How hard can it be?'. There'll be a ton of unemployed folks who will gladly risk contracting COVID for a paycheck broadly proclaiming they'll take those jobs, qualified or not.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Warm Fish Salad posted:

The amount of people who seem to just not care about the virus is disturbing, and the ones that are most vocal about it are almost always in the high risk age range.

Yeah, I've noticed that when I'm at the grocery store and see someone without a mask the chances of them being an overweight man in the 50-75 age range is about 75%. It's weird that they just don't give a poo poo.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Scientist posted:

Also I think that if we reopen too early and cases spike, it will be a worse net effect on the economy/in general than if we had just quarantined slightly longer in the first place. Not sure why no one is hyping this talking point

Yeah, that's what they saw during the 1918-20 pandemic but history is boring or whatever so no one cares about that.

Honestly, that's one of the things that really boggles my mind about this. Medical technology has obviously advanced in the last 100 years but it seems like society is the same in a lot of ways to a century ago so the cultural response to the pandemic is very similar.

And oh yeah, the Spanish Flu pandemic technically lasted from the beginning of 1918 until nearly 1921 so strap in for that poo poo. Anyone who thinks this is gonna be over by July is loving delusional.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Blistex posted:

Because they don't want to lose customers and get a facebook crusade started against them.

The Boomer owner of my local small grocery store (like, not-a-chain, bodega-style market) told me today he's only had one customer try to come in without a mask and he told the guy to gently caress off. The customer apparently said he would drag the store on Facebook and that got him laughed out of the store. I'm pretty proud of my little town.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I for one am ironically loving this whole mask thing and hope it becomes permanently acceptable to wear masks in public. Going shopping while looking like a ninja is the best. It's like Halloween whenever you want!

Honestly, same, I feel weirdly confident wearing a mask and I don't know why it boosts my self esteem.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Trump would just lie and say he developed the vaccine himself.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Waiting for 200k Thanksgiving. 4th of July.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Oh goons, never stop being goons. A general 'How to manage your money' class is needed in US primary education, yes.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Hi, it's me, I'm the guy driving in his car alone while wearing a mask. Why am I doing that? Well, I could just hold my mask in my hand, or shove it in my pocket until I get to my destination where it's required, or buy a special mask storage bag or box or something, or toss it somewhere in my car once I get in or... I could just store it on my loving face and not gently caress with it until I get back home. One of these options suits my lazy rear end just fine and it's the one that involves just wearing the loving thing until it's no longer needed.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Heard a nice counter to "Why even wear masks when infection rates are so low?"

Why even use parachutes when almost nobody dies from jumping out of planes?

Why even look both ways when crossing the street when pedestrian fatalities are so low?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Do these folks in the gym mostly using non-N95 masks think it makes them basically invincible from getting Covid indoors, or am I just being overly careful about this?

No, you're fine, they're just dumb as hell.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

so even though im not essential, my work had me start going back in early summer and i ride the train to and from.. Is there a point in time I should assume ive had it, but was asymptomatic? not that that really changes anything but i feel like its inevitable after awhile.

Assume you are asymptomatic and actively shedding the virus right now. Continue acting under that assumption until vaccinated or you actually get sick.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Yeah, it sounds insane on its face (Just act like you're a plague rat until you know you aren't!) but it's what I've been doing since this whole thing started and I felt a little under the weather back in February. I feel like it's the most responsible way to act even if it does sound crazy.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Fatkraken posted:

But to get back to my original point, opening up again with tens of thousands of daily cases and hundreds of deaths is loving madness, my life is.returning to some semblance of normal so seeing how tough things still are for y'all even after so long is heartbreaking

Do not weep for us, we deserve this.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Gynovore posted:

Because nowadays world travel is commonplace. 100 years ago, if a deadly virus broke out in a small, unremarkable city, it would remain isolated there for a long time.

Yeah, we can travel from London to Tokyo in about 12 hours these days but just stepping onto an aircraft was nearly impossible in 1920.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

boar guy posted:

As for eating in a restaurant/going to a bar? Not until the servers don't have to mask up.

I have a feeling like it's gonna be a while before I have an outing

The problem is that this depends on where you live and the politicians in charge of your area as these rules or laws aren't being made on scientific recommendations everywhere. Go to Florida and your server won't be wearing a mask.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Ny roommate is 100% convinced that Trump will hold the vaccine's distribution here in the US back unless he's allowed to keep the presidency in January.

He's been on this "Trump wants to be the only president we have ever and will be dictator for life. Just watch." conspiracy theory for years now.

Of course, NYT isn't helping with their shoddy constant reports of Trump every time he breathes.

Your roomie isn't wrong that Trump wants to be a dictator but he's wrong if he thinks Trump is capable of making it so.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Very cool, congrats! Please check back into this thread in 3 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Lazyhound posted:

I nearly ended up in the ER last night, during a huge covid surge. Great time for a (probable) kidney stone. :waycool:

Oh cool, you lived the exact nightmare that I have. I've had multiple kidney stones and will have many more thanks to a genetic condition and I've considered just what I'm gonna do when I get the next one if it's during COVID. I might just try to ride it out. I don't know.