Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Flying internationally tomorrow. Europe to States. So I can't wait to be stuck an ocean away from my cat while the world wheezes to death. I was honestly hoping to age my way out of vulnerability of these flus. Basically if you're young you're hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I really hope that's an accurate distribution of ages.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Hopper posted:

And we have to 14 new cases in Germany. Probably thanks to that rear end in a top hat who went to a carnival thing with 300 guests despite having a fever.

Corona or not, who the hell feels poo poo, has a fever and decides "hey let's go to this party"....

Yeah honestly I've had a low grade fever the past few days (after travelling) and got a cough just today. And it wasn't until like a few minutes ago when I read the symptoms that I was like 'oh hrm'. Luckily I've been basically quarantined since I got back. I didn't really think about it because I get fevers pretty easily and I hadn't slept well at all. If my cough is at all worse tomorrow I'm going to go get tested. I will 99.9998% be fine (35 y/o male, no smoking/heart disease/lung nonsense, clean air) but I'm really not looking forward to sitting in my apartment with my wife and toddler for two weeks.

Honestly, once a world leader dies, and not even a major one, this mess is really going to be crazy.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The Pope is sick. Not necessarily coronavirus, but not necessarily not.

I think a runny nose is not a symptom of the Coronavirus. It may even be contraindicative. That having been said, this virus sure is full of surprises!

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Sten Freak posted:

That Iran is under-reporting is no surprise but breaking down the statistics suggest they are possibly incredibly short of the real numbers.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/irans-coronavirus-problem-lot-worse-it-seems/607663/

Hadlock posted:

You're doing this article disservice, it's way worse than that

this is something

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Sten Freak posted:

I literally didn't think anyone would believe me if I posted the numbers from that article.

One of the things that this whole breakout has impressed upon me is that our brains are just not wired to understand the scale of exponential breakouts, especially coupled with the fact that, so far, a lot of it is happening 'over there'. Especially when there's a time and information delay between when a person gets the disease and when they have to get to the hospital. Like the time difference between 'hrm I have a fever today' and 'I need to get to the hospital' can a week, which can be the difference between 'whatever everything's fine' and 'there are no hospital beds in the country'. It's really hard to wrap my head around.

It's sort of related but just based on my daily scan of facebook there is a very significant political gap in reactions. The people who I am certain vote conservatively are very much 'w/e more people die from flu every year. Have you noticed that this is an ELECTION YEAR seems fishy'. The others seem to be posting things like 'maybe we should take this seriously.' This could be confirmation bias though. One of my friends who thought that Kavanaugh did nothing wrong is currently on a cruise, for example.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I've definitely been holding out hope for some evidence that weather might mitigate all this. I mean, the fact that like Vietnam hasn't really exploded is kind of odd, although they got their first case in late January. At this point, just looking at the global distribution, it certainly feels like there's something to that hypothesis. And there are some things that make me slightly less pessimistic, like this report (although there is a lot of counter-evidence). And it took me like 6 read-throughs of the abstract of this thing and it makes it seem like warmer temperatures in cooler places makes it worse while higher temperatures in hot places makes it better:

quote:

Background There is no evidence supporting that temperature changes COVID-19 transmission. Methods We collected the cumulative number of confirmed cases of all cities and regions affected by COVID-19 in the world from January 20 to February 4, 2020, and calculated the daily means of the average, minimum and maximum temperatures in January. Then, restricted cubic spline function and generalized linear mixture model were used to analyze the relationships. Results There were in total 24,232 confirmed cases in China and 26 overseas countries. In total, 16,480 cases (68.01%) were from Hubei Province. The lgN rose as the average temperature went up to a peak of 8.72℃ and then slowly declined. The apexes of the minimum temperature and the maximum temperature were 6.70℃ and 12.42℃ respectively. The curves shared similar shapes. Under the circumstance of lower temperature, every 1℃ increase in average, minimum and maximum temperatures led to an increase of the cumulative number of cases by 0.83, 0.82 and 0.83 respectively. In the single-factor model of the higher-temperature group, every 1℃ increase in the minimum temperature led to a decrease of the cumulative number of cases by 0.86. Conclusion The study found that, to certain extent, temperature could significant change COVID-19 transmission, and there might be a best temperature for the viral transmission, which may partly explain why it first broke out in Wuhan. It is suggested that countries and regions with a lower temperature in the world adopt the strictest control measures to prevent future reversal.

I mean, now that there are confirmed cases in tropical places, we'll know pretty soon whether or not it's a problem. And I'm looking at it again and like Spain isn't doing too well, and it's warmish, not tropical, though.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

bollig posted:

I've definitely been holding out hope for some evidence that weather might mitigate all this. I mean, the fact that like Vietnam hasn't really exploded is kind of odd, although they got their first case in late January. At this point, just looking at the global distribution, it certainly feels like there's something to that hypothesis. And there are some things that make me slightly less pessimistic, like this report (although there is a lot of counter-evidence). And it took me like 6 read-throughs of the abstract of this thing and it makes it seem like warmer temperatures in cooler places makes it worse while higher temperatures in hot places makes it better:

I mean, now that there are confirmed cases in tropical places, we'll know pretty soon whether or not it's a problem. And I'm looking at it again and like Spain isn't doing too well, and it's warmish, not tropical, though.

Oh yeah and Singapore would be a pretty good counter-example to 'hot weather kills Covid'

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-51843128

quote:

A teenager was sent home from school after being caught selling shots of hand sanitiser to his fellow pupils at 50p a go.

His mother, Jenny Tompkins, from Leeds, posted a picture of him arriving home earlier after his entrepreneurial exploits at Dixons Unity Academy.

In a post on Facebook, she said it was hard to discipline her son when his "dad called to say he was a legend".

He plans to use the £9 he made to buy a kebab, she added.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Okay there is some credible evidence that temp and humidity do some real damage on it. Here's the paper.

And the abstract:

quote:

This paper investigates how air temperature and humidity influence the transmission of COVID-19. After estimating the serial interval of COVID-19 from 105 pairs of the virus carrier and the infected, we calculate the daily effective reproductive number, R, for each of all 100 Chinese cities with more than 40 cases. Using the daily R values from January 21 to 23, 2020 as proxies of non-intervened transmission intensity, we find, under a linear regression framework for 100 Chinese cities, high temperature and high relative humidity significantly reduce the transmission of COVID-19, respectively, even after controlling for population density and GDP per capita of cities. One degree Celsius increase in temperature and one percent increase in relative humidity lower R by 0.0383 and 0.0224, respectively. This result is consistent with the fact that the high temperature and high humidity significantly reduce the transmission of influenza. It indicates that the arrival of summer and rainy season in the northern hemisphere can effectively reduce the transmission of the COVID-19.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
coolcoolcool here's a paper that suggests infants can transmit it:

https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciaa201/5766416

quote:

A well 6-month-old infant with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) had persistently positive nasopharyngeal swabs to day 16 of admission. This case highlights the difficulties in establishing the true incidence of COVID-19 as asymptomatic individuals can excrete the virus. These patients may play important roles in human-to-human transmission in the community.

I will admit to having a deep morbid fascination with this virus.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Yeah I have pursueded my wife to go on lockdown. We have a kid in daycare and I am not sending him in. Basically my plan is to just wait 5 days and then only get in contact with people who have also been quarantined for that amount of time, basically getting ahead of the ineveitable lockdown. She can work from home and I am looking for a new computer toucher job.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Switzerland is sort of botching this. The Federal government had a press conference and shut businesses and stuff. And have really tried to emphasize "stay home" but are in no way enforcing it. The total number of cases is unknown because they rely on the cantons to report. There are like 3 different official tallies. It is astounding how many old people are out and about. This country certainly has a "meh I'll be fine attitude" which otherwise gives confidence but couple with "well I've got to live my life" means just a slow reaction to this thing.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Disgusting Coward posted:

Isn't Switzerland like, a few rich people, a few nerds colliding their large hardons and a few suicide clinic workers? How the gently caress can the government not successfully quarantine a population of 25 people?

It is mostly busy-body old ladies who would rather burn the country to the ground if they can't go to the market. It is very much a 'but muh freedoms' country. For example, multiple people I know have posted videos of Italy and Spain and said something to the effect of 'how can you call yourself a free country if this happens'.

Warthog posted:

It's really loving confusing... how can it be so hard to see what's happening across the border when
a) we've got them with 5 different coutries
b) wherever we are, one is within 80 miles as the crow flies
c) we're neighbouring frigging Italy!!!

...at least around Zürich groups of 15 or more people will get dispersed now.

you forgot cows, cheese, coo coo clocks and IKEA

Yeah I had no idea how loving behind zürich was/is

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
https://mobile.twitter.com/FoxMulder22791/status/1240454056419696641

Collective funeral in Bergamo

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I have contacted my representatives at every level to let them know that while mitigation measures might slow things down, that scaled testing and containment is the only way we will get through this without significant loss of human life and an overwhelming economic downturn.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I think Switzerland, in general, is quite close to being past the point of no return, 43 total deaths today, something like 4900 total positive. Luckily I live in Bern, one of the few Cantons that seems to be taking it seriously, they're finishing up a drive/walk through testing center that sounds like it will be able to 4k tests a day. Bern and Basel-Land of all the goddamn places are the only ones who are seriously saying 'test test test'.

There are still too many old people out and about. I haven't been to a big grocery in a while, but apparently they're limiting the number of people who can go in and are making you sanitize your hands before going in. The only thing that's been consistently out-of-stock in my corner store is canned tomatoes.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Helios Grime posted:

So if you want to know which country you need to look at after you get bored with Italy.

(I think you can decipher it enough to get it)

oof

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Hopper posted:

Italy's health system is overwhelmed, they are triaging and this means people die because they don't have enough ventilators. People are also isolating at home for a while and I asked that means many cases that pop up are severe ones that were mild cases at home and then had to go into hospitals.

I think Italy was hit extremely hard due to a lot of old people and massive amounts of chinese tourists that are funded through all the sights at Pisa, Verona, Florence and Venice. Probably had a lot of mild cases already before anyone knew this was coming.

So the issue in Italy is somewhat interesting. Northern Italy loves selling its fine goods, like leather and clothes and poo poo. But it's only really good if it has "Italian made" on it. And for that, well it needs to be made in Italy. So what Italy has done is imported Chinese workers to do the manufacturing, specifically from Wuhan.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Yeah working on it. I read it on a friend's phone.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Someone had asked for a source re: Italian goods and Wuhan workers. The original article was Reuters but this covers it too:

https://spectator.org/coronavirus-the-price-of-luxury/

Sorry for the American Spectator.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

lol jesus

btw, I have found exercising to be quite helpful in these trying times. It is quite possible to get strong and relatively conditioned at home. Reddit's https://reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness is probably one of the best resources on the internet. Cardio? Just do 100 burpees, time yourself, and try to beat that time.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It'll be a cold day in hell before I even do a single burpee. :colbert:

I don't even know what the gently caress a burpee is. I assume it's something I was forced to do in PE class way back when I was in school but I guess my brain suppressed the memory.

k

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
someone I went to high school with has been on a cruise since ~5 March, haven't seen a post on Facebook since then ...

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I set up a quarantine zone in a bathroom near our front door. And I'm following this dude's advice (I can't remember if I found it here, but it's worth reposting): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjDuwc9KBps as far as cleaning is concerned for perishables or poo poo we need immediately

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Part of the stress of this has just been keeping up with like what are the adequate protections the average citizen should take to protect himself and the greater good. It's dizzying.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

d0s posted:

he's talking about things like these:

which are designed for working with chemicals and stuff and not medical environments so they protect from stuff getting in but not going out, probably so it's easier to breathe through.

what happens if you sneeze in this, does it blast off of your face or does it work out, i've always wondered

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
A bit late to the comorbidity-chat from earlier but one of my friends is a nurse at a hospital in a city where now they have it under control, they were never swamped or anything. They still had roni-patients. He said that basically all the people who were intubated were obese. Anecdotal, but w'/e.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

As someone that has to do this because they are "essential", don't do this. I've literally seen more road deaths since January this year than I have seen total in the last twenty years I've been commuting to work (and one particularly nightmare-inducing pedestrian death at 5AM).

Stay the gently caress home.

This is so crazy.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

NihilismNow posted:

Metrics by insurance companies say accidents here are down 50%.

I think someone posted earlier, and I believe it, that while the accidents go down, the accidents that do happen are way more deadly. This is a pretty known tradeoff wrt road safety, you are more risky the safer you feel.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Just went and got an antibody test. I'm already ~85% sure that I had it back in February, I had a bad fever for 4-5 days, headache, cough, felt exhausted and had 0 appetite (literally only ingested Gatorade for that time, tried eating ramen and just nope, it was really weird) and I had flown internationally (from Seattle) like a week or so before. I also was a little short of breath for two or three weeks after that from time to time.

But I'll know in ~48 hours whether or not I had it. If I test positive on the first test they send it to a lab where they triple check that I had it. I forget to ask like who made the tests, but I'll ask when I get my results.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

bollig posted:

Just went and got an antibody test. I'm already ~85% sure that I had it back in February, I had a bad fever for 4-5 days, headache, cough, felt exhausted and had 0 appetite (literally only ingested Gatorade for that time, tried eating ramen and just nope, it was really weird) and I had flown internationally (from Seattle) like a week or so before. I also was a little short of breath for two or three weeks after that from time to time.

But I'll know in ~48 hours whether or not I had it. If I test positive on the first test they send it to a lab where they triple check that I had it. I forget to ask like who made the tests, but I'll ask when I get my results.

tested negative

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Whoops, hope you hadn't been making plans to get out and do stuff in the assumption that you had antibodies

Lol no. Wasn't even that cautiously optimistic.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Rexxed posted:

You probably had Influenza B; I had it in January and it was pretty much as you described symptom wise. It was the bad flu of the year and a lot of people probably mistook it for covid 19 if they caught it later on.

Just looked it up and this makes the most sense. Thanks.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Here in Switzerland things are borderline back to normal and seem to be stabilizing. Hair salons, etc, have been open for 3ish weeks now and schools are back in session and there seems to be no noticeable uptick in active cases. This is also with the amount of people wearing masks being basically a rounding error, except in certain situations (hair salons, poo poo like that). I think the Swiss people took it quite seriously thanks to a competent federal authority alongside quality cantonal oversight, a lot of individuals saying #stayhome, the police nudging people in the right direction and basically the infrastructure to handle basically everybody deciding to ride their bikes. The Police were never really arresting people, they broke up the ineveitable protest a couple of times before being proactive and just started preventing them from assembling. For example loving everyone wants to go down to Ticino/Italy for Easter, the Federal government basically said over and over again 'Please I know you want to Ticino for Easter but please don't". And while they didn't prevent people from driving down there, they would pull you over and basically shame you into turning around. In addition, the Swiss version of the PPP was an absolute knockout. Basically you just filled out a form and you had the money a few days later. Not without controversy, but they were also quite open about saying 'yup there's going to be fraud, but in the end it will cost them so much money, it's not worth it'.

Basically my takeaway is that if you suck it up like a grownup for a little while, you can get the number of active cases down to a negligible number, and with contact tracing, social distancing and an absence of mass gatherings I think you can keep it together during the summer months. To be fair, I think Switzerland got quite lucky in that Ticino and Italy got hit really hard early which meant people took it more seriously than if it had happened in Portugal/Spain, if that makes sense.

This weekend we had a social distancing BBQ with another family, which I was really dreading because the husband, normally just a lame wet blanket, has definitely gone down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole. It wasn't as bad as it could be, but he definitely worked his opinion in wherever he could. My wife works in journalism and he was like 'so do you guys tell both sides of the story?' to which she replied 'yes, that's our job' (in more words than that), which he seemed to accept. He also was bragging about all the places he had gone out to eat and stuff and I just shrugged it off, which was my strategy in general.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Helios Grime posted:

I'm in Bern and you notice people are just really tired of being inside. I'm interested on covid-19 rates in a week since we just had a long bank holiday with really nice and warm weather and everyone was out and about which forced some of the main outside attractions to close down.

Same and I personally thought that their decision to close down a lot of green space, at least during the day, was quite short sighted, even at the time. Although I could imagine that people were gathering there at night, but still in general it seemed like people were quite good about keeping apart when out and about, and closing them down just meant that it pushed people closer together. There have been several times, Easter for example, when I"ve kind of held my breath to see if there's an uptick or anything but it doesn't seem to be the case. This could be a big one though. A lot of people traveled.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Alan Smithee posted:

What do the Swiss cook at bbqs

I want to go to a Swiss bbq

The Swiss as a people love nothing more than grilling and they are terrible at it. A lot of the green space is pockmarked because people just set up disposable grills and blacken the poo poo out of their thick skinned sausages https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cervelat. They also like to start it from scratch, meaning they collect sticks or scrap wood. Many people do this on their balconies.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I had to explain that you eat fresh salsa with chips once or twice. Whenever my wife makes 7-layer bean dip it's a borderline Copernican revolution. There is a restaurant in town that sells tacos and they want $25 FOR 3 TACOS. I'll stop ripping on the Swiss and their milquetoast palate now. WRT hairdressers, I had to cut my 2y/o's hair which, except for a couple strays, I think I did quite well.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

greazeball posted:

In general, I think the feds did a good job of waiting juuuust long enough, so that people were starting to get nervous and starting to wonder when someone was going to do something. I feel like if they had imposed the measures a week earlier, the "it's just the flu" brigade would have been bolder with their protests. Because things were already so bad in Italy and Ticino, and since the measures were less restrictive than other places, I think people were willing to take collective action.

They share salads, chips, etc. but everyone brings their own meat, it's really weird. And you all huddle over the grill trying to cook your chicken skewer or horrible cervela on this uneven flame and people look surprised when you have extra chicken wings to share.

Has 7 Machos reopened on the Bärenplatz yet? Two tacos for $13 but they are at least real tacos (El Mexicano isn't bad but yeah the prices).

I think their strategy of opening up incrementally every two weeks was a really good strategy, to see the effects.

WRT grilling, if you are grilling in public you can 100% expect someone to come up and ask if they can just put their stuff on your grill an dthey'll just kind of show up every 5 minutes to flip it. It is odd at first but efficient, quite efficient indeed.

I could go on for days about the Swiss national psyche but I think what is important to know is that they basically have been in a very safe place for a very long time, which has afforded them the ability to build a system that allows the development of extraordinary competence, but often only in context. It's sort of like having just the best playground in the world. If you want to learn how to be a hairdresser, you will learn everything you need. If you want to be a cashier, you can (and must) get an internship to prepare you for this. If you want to trade currencies, you will have the best education. You then couple this with a lean Federal system and a strong social safety net (despite quite low taxes, especially in certain cantons) you get a feeling that you'll be fine no matter what. And while it has created a country that has responded extraordinarily well to the virus (from most infections per capita out of 'real' countries to basically fine now, also the economy is going to churn along just fine imo, certainly by relative standards and possibly even by absolute standards) you will get situations like my friend observed where in Australia a bike rental store had to refuse service to some Swiss people who thought they could bike across the country.

No idea about either of those, but the Bigote Verde delivers, which is what I was referring to.

Funny that there are a lot of Bern goons. Very goony city, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Man basically everything is opening up in Switzerland next weekend, even nightclubs.