Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

Counterpoint for large swathes of america:
Lol doctors
Lol hospitals
Lol icu beds
Lol insurance

to be fair we do actually have more ICU beds per capita than any other nation, even if we have a lower total number of hospital beds. who knows if that will counter the other factors though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

https://twitter.com/shaneharris/status/1245150576033370114
things going well in the greatest healthcare system in the world

jesus christ there are going to be so many lawsuits when this is over, and probably at least one person running in there with a gun for revenge

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

the democrats are going to try to go to war with China and Russia over this poo poo right

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

I read the trump thread every day through all of the 2016 election and I loving can't even remember what forgettable piece of poo poo was vp on the ballot. Tim Kaine maybe? gently caress me oh my god what the hell lol

the only reason i even remember his name is because lin manuel miranda had that godawful "tim kaine in the membrane" rap and i can't get that horrible clip out of my brain

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

twoday posted:

https://twitter.com/erinbiba/status/1245952586190127106?s=20

It’s a New York thing, you wouldn’t understand

this whole thing where people get super-defensive about where they live getting any form of criticism or critique is obnoxious. it happened with all the tweets about how people in the south are driving further because it's spread out, as if that itself isn't an issue worthy of being mentioned, and it's happening with people living in dense apartment buildings.

also you're in loving new york, you don't get to use "y'all"

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

I'm reading a chinese handbook on how prevent coronavirus transmission from one of their wards that recorded 0 tranmissions between staff and patients and yeah no, the american century is over

there's a lot to criticize about china's government and treatment but when "western liberal democracy" results in the wealthy making GBS threads all over the poor and basically having a corporate sector do the work of a dictatorship by controlling and manufacturing the discourse, and they can't even handle this crisis as well as china. then gently caress it, democracy failed in the marketplace of ideas, as they would say.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
that "china's cremating far more people than the official death toll!" poo poo is still going around and ignoring that people still die of other causes. i saw something the other day that said they compared year by year numbers and those numbers are actually lower than typical.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

a communist country is handling this global pandemic much better than the far-right run US, but the minds of american leftists are so shattered by the constant trauma of living in this hellhole that they believe the nefarious chinese must be lying

sad

my more lib brained friends are having an incredibly hard time reconciling that china might, just might, have actually handled this pandemic well because of their country being a surveillance state that locked down its entire economy to halt the spread

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

LimburgLimbo posted:

The thing is you don’t even have to be a massive surveillance state like China (not that there’s no surveillance in other states but there’s certainly a qualitative difference to mainland China) to get it to work, you just have to move quickly and competently, provide good guidelines, and have most people follow them or get punished for not following them, like Taiwan, South Korea, Singapore, etc.

People need to wrap their heads around the idea that there’s actual consequences to decades of propaganda against the idea of reasonable and competent government and intentional destruction of institutions intended to act in exactly these circumstances.

i agree, taiwan and south korea were just as able to contain this pandemic without going to the same measures china did and they both are things to look at but, considering the extent of china's lockdowns i don't know how you can't look at their similar situations and claim that china is the one with a massive coverup to hide hundreds of thousands dead. you can't hide exponential growth and all of the "sources" claiming there's a cover up are american-funded propaganda outlets and just flat out "CHINESE PEOPLE ARE LIARS"

LimburgLimbo posted:

I also think that the cremation thing is very shaky evidence at best and that it’s being repeated so much mostly just says that there’s no good evidence, but “I saw something the other day” and not linking it or providing any more information is just as bad dude

you're right, i was irresponsible for not linking it. i was speaking off the cuff but i found the source i got it from

https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/1246156916797116419

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

The Chinese government lies about its massive slave/torture camps constantly. The notion that they wouldn't lie about this as well is absurd. It's incredibly easy to cover up which deaths are COVID-19 and which are not. The US is doing the same thing already with plenty of undiagnosed flu/pneumonia/respiratory failure deaths. We certainly aren't testing the undiagnosed bodies.

i don't doubt that the true total might be higher but that's more due to the same factor as other countries which didn't count all the deaths properly.

china's true death total will be higher but for the same reason as every other country's, and we won't find out except in a decade after careful studies of mortality rates and whatnot. china isn't shovelling mountains of dead bodies into mass graves and incinerators, no matter what the new york times would have you believe.

they lie about the slave/torture camps because they don't give a poo poo about the uighurs. they do, actually, have an incentive to not let their population die off in a mass pandemic.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

*looking at workers having to get corona certs every 3 days to work, checkpoints, temperature readings, massive use of surveillance tech+phones to record location data, extensive social distancing, mask usage and then economy obviously coming back online through emissions readings* "welllll....the numbers aren't 100% accurate lol."

like the entire month of february was the western media talking about how cruel china is for doing all of these things and "welding people in their apartments" (they didn't go that far of course). is it any surprise that these things the west called heavy-handed might actually work to stop the disease spread

then again racism doesn't have to be coherent

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

oh hell yes, this one has legs

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
bring back the funeral dancers those guys kick rear end and that song bangs too

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Blarghalt posted:

sometimes I miss LF but then I realize C-Spam is basically just LF 2 and nowadays we're saying things that would get everyone permabanned ten years ago but now things are just so horribly lovely that half the mods are probably on our side and the other half don't care

haha those maoist third worldists really are nutbags! anyway i'm disappointed in obama for not doing single payer but i hope he can at least do a public option

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Durf posted:

whats happening in taiwan

life going on because they're doing everything pretty much the best of any country on the planet right now

Salt Fish posted:

Sort of. They have specific utility in that even if the actual number is off by 10x you can still predict the real peak within like ~8 days. Think of it like polling. You call 500 people and then you extrapolate that out to 300,000,000 people and get pretty close.

we didn't know the more accurate death toll of swine flu until 4-5 years after it happened and it was 10x what they had initially reported

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

LimburgLimbo posted:

It's a long story and also Taiwan was much less awesome for a good while, being a military dictatorship.

i remember back in the early obama years before obamacare passed people comparing different healthcare systems and taiwan being pointed out as basically the best of all worlds

it certainly seems so now, for sure

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

ryanrs posted:

I've been contemplating breaking shelter-in-place to go camping. The places I go aren't real campgrounds, just 4x4 roads in the desert where I can shoot guns and build fires and stuff. On one hand, if I wear gloves when getting gas, is it really a problem? On the other hand, lookit all these dumbasses self-owning, I don't want to be like them.

This would be in BLM land in the Mojave.

don't go camping, you're putting yourself and other people at risk.

you're safest in a big city with hospitals accessible. yes, even nyc.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Delthalaz posted:

we need negative payroll taxes where the government pays you. the ultimate free market anti-tax solution.

this is literally the EITC

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Zyme posted:

i am enjoying simultaneously having a bunch of money in the stock market, and also wishing for the downfall of america. no matter what happens, i lose! or win? i dont even know anymore.

i got about 20k from my mom dying of cancer thanks to america's godawful healthcare system recently and i'm just sitting on it as cash savings, so as long as the us dollar doesn't completely collapse i'm set baby

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Lessail posted:

anime is the only thing you should watch

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Basic Poster posted:

You are, in no conceivable way, "set".

it's like a year's worth of expenses and i get a grad student stipend on top of it that's not going away unless everything completely collapses to where money itself is worthless, i'm about as set as i can be at this point short of having a shack in the woods with a gun collection. if it comes to that then i'd rather be one of the ones to die sooner anyway

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
lmao falling for a borowitz report "satire" should be a probe

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

oxsnard posted:

In n out fries are loving DISGUSTING

as much as i love in n out burgs, i have to agree. the fries are shamefully bad. i usually grab the burg and go to the next door mcdonalds for fries

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
i have to admit reappropriating the "people must die for number to go up" but to make it woke by claiming shock doctrine is a novel take.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

isn't this poo poo fake since they didn't even detect anything until december

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Dumb Lowtax posted:

No, we have no idea about this, because what we're about to experience is unprecedented -- a population that completely lacks BCG immunizations nor any basic healthcare with tons of untreated illness, and a peak that totally overwhelms the hospital capacity by orders of magnitude more people than anywhere else so far too

the last part isn't actually true. america's healthcare system, for all it's faults, has more ICU beds per capita than any other country (except germany, but we still beat them out a bit), even if overall hospital beds are lower per capita. maybe you can chalk that up to hospitals focusing so much on juicing their marketing that they over-build capacity for regular use but in this case, it's definitely doing work to keep down the death rate.

the question is if this advantage can counter all the other problems this country has

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

baw posted:

a big problem is probably how those icu beds are concentrated, and there are likely thousands of rural communities that dont have one within 100 miles

true but conversely, that distance might also prevent it from spreading as easily there

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
lmao at anyone in this thread suggesting california has a chance at succeeding in any sort of secession without the permission of the federal government. do you think all those military bases in the state just get absorbed seamlessly with the new nation? lol

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

remember when the world changed because 3000 people died in 9/11

and now it’s a good day if less than 2,000 people die every day during Pox 2.0, just in America

at least 2001 had the LOTR movie

the deaths in 9/11 didn't matter, it was preordained what the response would be by bush since he let the attack happen.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
lock down the economy even harder. i don't want people to die but i do want them to lose their jobs to spite the dumb fucks who want number to keep going up

think about it, we're not just stopping the coronavirus, we're also cutting the number of car accidents, and the number of idiots who are going out and getting themselves killed doing whatever dumb poo poo they may or may not do.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
i'm not one to defend newsom but as far as i can tell, california is actually handling this about as well as a state in the united states can (washington's probably the only place doing better)

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

PDP-1 posted:

i'm glad to hear that NZ is doing well, from an outsider's view (i'm in the USA) your government seems amazingly sane and functional.

but on a personal level, holy poo poo has this roni situation hosed me sideways. i was considering immigrating to NZ if trump won a second term and thought it should be easy since apparently people who do what i do are in demand there and they'll fast-track your immigration status if you can land a job. then i found out that one of my colleagues had already landed a job and when we talked about it he said to give him a few months to get settled and then come over on a tourist visa to see the country and stop by where he worked for a totally-not-an-inverview-wink-wink day as the place he was going was on a hiring spree and willing to help with moving costs.

but now lol roni and lol biden and i'm trapped in this shithole country for the forseeable future.

also i work for a science lab and brain drain out of the USA is gonna be a real thing if trump wins again. even pre-roni we were starting to have difficulty hiring the world's best people because they don't want to move to the US.
i've been in grad school since end of 2016 and was aiming for my defense at the end of next year, but lol there's going to be no economy left to find a job in by that time so gently caress, just my luck. stuck in this awful country when i was hoping to use a phd as a way out

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Marzzle posted:

why is worldmeters.info a delaware corp and like is there a one word answer for who is running it?
something like half of all corporations in the us are delaware corporations because it's just a giant state tax shelter

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

I should probably get a mask for going out I guess

I thought masks didn't do anything to stop the virus and just made it more likely you'd touch your face to adjust the mask

turns out they do a lot if you're asymptomatic but the entire point of claiming they do nothing was to make sure people didn't all hoard the masks so the people who actually need them most in healthcare have enough of a supply, so it was done for the right reason.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

and who said chapo were just grifters, c'mon

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
lol of course the california protesters are in huntington beach, chud central

also lol "cali", clearly bussed in because no one in their right mind from california calls it cali

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Zotix posted:

Has anyone noticed people on their Facebook or other social media playing these dumb quarantine games and giving away personal information unknowingly? I've seen a bunch of them over the past month. I saw this one 10 minutes ago "Your quarantine name is the last thing you are and your high school mascot".

This poo poo.

counterpoint: if you're dumb enough to actually give the "actual" answer to security questions on your online accounts you deserve it

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Zotix posted:

It circles in the demographics that werent really in college or younger when Facebook. I can see a good chunk as legit.

i don't think people are using these throwaway memes to steal your accounts. people are just sharing things about themselves to maintain a human connection to people, which is fine.

don't give away your loving social security or credit card numbers or home addresses. you do that and i'm pretty sure you don't need to worry about someone googling your high school mascot to get where you graduated high school from, especially if your high school is listed in your profile anyway

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
different sites are handling the daily death totals differently, infection2020 is saying 6000 deaths today but worldometer is saying only 1600, but both have the same total cumulative death toll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Heartcatch posted:

https://twitter.com/TyrenePamstein/status/1250959779293323265

This is going to go over real well in the face of even one time Trumpbux.

the fact that he spends so much time talking about "a woman VP" and not expanding into who it might be is just the most maddening thing. sarah palin? condi rice?