Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:lmao:

I love the game and the best thing is all the meltdowns and nerd tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I was going to jump to X/X-2. I last played VIII when it first came out and I never did finish it. If it's worth my time, it looks like it's cheap enough to pick up if people think it's worth the time.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The entire game, from start to finish heavily features the ghosts forcing a timeline- the characters have to acknowledge them, the ending is all about getting rid of them and Cloud is constantly having glimpses at the future. Not trying to be a rear end in a top hat but you should probably move onto the acceptance phase that the story is going to be different and it's going to have big ramifications on the plot moving forward. It literally slaps you over the head saying "THE UNKNOWN JOURNEY CONTINUES" because Destiny is totally freed up now.

Closing your eyes and pretending the ghosts were never there doesn't actually work.

E: Some of the devs have outright stated they can't wait to see speculation on what the ending means and what people think will come next based on the ending. You can either strap in for Final Fantasy: Reunion or get off the train now :v:

Don't get me wrong, I love OG FFVII, but I'm actually more excited by this game now that it's apparent that future installments can veer off into whatever.

I almost didn't get this right away because it looked like it was more a less a re-skin with some expanded dialogs. I decided to take a chance when I started hearing that "this thing is bit different than just a recreation". So glad I did.

Plus seeing the nerd-rage on twitter is a delicious bonus.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Destiny and the Fate Ghosts is my lounge act.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Onmi posted:

- Because of that, Aerith isn't captured by the Turks and taken to Shinra Tower.

Of course she is. If anything its even easier since Cloud is not present in the church to foil their dastardly plot.

-And since no one else in Avalanche knows who she is, there is no rescue
-Game over

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

I always figured it was a metaphor rather than a place. The Remake seems to behave like it physically exists though.

Shinra thinks it's a place. That don't make it so.

Aerith never says, or at least that she doesn't know where it is.

I'm still on Team Lifestream for the "Promised Land"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

I posted about this exact thing pages ago. Reno absolutely got off easy in the original narrative, and his transformation along with Rude into Team Rocket was strange; Reno's strong characterization and cool design carried a lot of the load, but the dissonance there was too wonky to overcome for me a lot of the time. (When dealing with Don Corneo in Wutai and Reno tells you he's off the clock, why don't we just... stab him? Shinra might not even notice for a good long while, since he's on vacation and all.) Reno is more or less directly responsible for the deaths of Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie. Like... c'mon, a little.

Reno is given the glow up here, which makes sense considering he's the most popular Turk by a fair margin. Instead of putting that evil on him, he not only has the opportunity to do it and then doesn't, he also seems pretty perturbed that it happened at all, going so far as to be blatantly flippant toward his direct report in Tseng. It makes Rude's insisting that he isn't a bad guy in Chapter 8 ring super hollow, which I'd argue isn't inherently a bad narrative choice. Rude thinks he's not a bad guy, he just does bad things is all, and he's a super professional, you see, and... hey wait why aren't you listening.

My hope is that Rude absolutely gets dragged for this bullshit. Seeing what he does in dropping the plate makes his self-aggrandizing horseshit in Chapter 8 the preening of an insufferable douchebag instead of a cool guy doing cool stuff. gently caress Rude! He could've done what Reno did and begged off the job, or had plausible deniability for why they couldn't pull it off, or something. But nope, he's this CONSUMMATE PRO and goes out of his way to, as you put it, open palm slam the button. Get hosed, Rude.

Yeah, but I have what I feel is a compelling counter-argument: He carries multiple sunglasses to replace damaged ones mid-battle.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I never really thought much about Aerith in the original, she just seemed like a generic nice girl and of course she selflessly sacrifices to save the world and is more important for not being there than anything else, it had become such a meme. Meeting her again, with the characterization and personality they were able to give her, so that you can see how much of that cheeriness is a defense mechanism or a front (also she says "poo poo"), to see her genuine bond with the other characters now that the story had time to breathe, I am really much more connected to her and will probably be emotionally invested in whatever happens this time around lol

I'm in the same boat as you (Tifa is still my wife, tho).

Aerith won me over with the sheer amount of sass she flips at Cloud, but she cemented my foreveral love was when she was just hard as loving steel staring down Hojo.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah to clarify, I'm glad they rewrote it from "cartoonish nonsense" to "something that Mengele probably did"

God drat. That's exactly what he is. Shinra's Mengele: doing "science" of extremely dubious nature to indulge in his sadism.

And hats off to the writers and voice actor. As others have said, he is, by leaps and bounds, the most loathsome, purely evil character I've ever encountered in a game.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

He's likely got the smelly meth sweats as well, because sleep is for losers.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Flopsy posted:

To be fair to Sephiroth realizing that dude is in fact your father would probably send anybody over the edge. The unspeakable truth the world just isn't ready for: Hojo fucks.

I don't there's any doubt whether Hojo mixed his DNA with Jenova in a test tube or went with a more holistic approach when trying to create Sephiroth before doping a fetus with Jenova DNA.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pog boyfriend posted:

rufus was great, but jenova takes it for me for best boss fight. when they brought the original jenova theme in during the fight i just had this goofy grin on my face

you beat the 6 dogs. you can do anything.

Yeah, it was a challenging fight, but the mechanics were intuitive and I had a blast fighting her.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Onmi posted:

Really? I've seen Max mostly keep to a single build and he's been trucking fine into Chapter 7. Where you at?

If you're talking Maximillian Dood's current playthrough, he's mentioned multiple times he's playing Normal mode right now.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

So this dropped a couple days ago. It's Spoiler Mode + Max Dood doing some deep deep theory wankery.
(If this was posted already apologies, this thread moves really fast sometimes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfgw7iDZ-bo

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

After going through the last chapter again, I have to say that I'm no longer really convinced the whispers are intended as some kind of meta-antagonist representing the fans.

My opinion is Sephiroth is a timeless being now (similar to the Whispers) and the weird deviations is Seph from Advent Children manipulating events to unfold differently. Hell in the beginning when he manipulates Cloud into hallucinating a burning Nibelheim, he's trying to change the timing so Cloud won't meet Aerith. The Whispers course correct.

Sephiroth/Jenova are diseases and the Whispers are the T-Cells of the planet/Lifestream.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fadam posted:

Just beat this, what do you guys make of the scene where Aerith mind melds with Marlene then does the "my lips are sealed" thing?

Marlene is also an Ancient.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Just Andi Now posted:

You get one earlier in the game (I forget where) and the second is from Mireille in Chapter 14.

But you have to do *all* the Chapter 14 side quests to have it show up.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

So much additional poo poo I pick up on replying stuff.

When the whisper tornado snatches you, you end up flashing by the Temple of the Ancients.

What does it mean? No loving idea, but I love it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zarin posted:

What I find interesting about the ending scene is the timing - my original take was that Zack sees the whispers covering the entire hemisphere of Midgar airspace; ergo, Destiny was intending to deny him entry. Right as he should have been dead, though, they all explode and that's not necessarily on the table anymore. Confusingly, though, the same gold snow falling on Zack is falling on the party and also on the residents trying to rebuild the slums - incidents that should be separated by a week or more, at the very least.

My head cannon relies on on three assumptions:

1 - The whispers are the Lifestream's defense system (and Sephiroth/Jenova is the disease)
2 - The whispers and Sephiroth exist outside of time
3 - Sephiroth's end game is be anchored back into normal time so he can eventually consume the universe. Which is why his appearances have been attempts to delay or derail Cloud so events can't or won't happen by slightly changing outcomes.

When the whispers (especially what I assume is the guiding intelligence: Whisper Harbinger) are destroyed in whatever pocket dimension Sephiroth calved off from the normal one, they are destroyed in every location and every time. Also, the gold sparkles are more or less the remnants of whatever raw mako from the Lifestream that was used to create the whispers. They fall down and will hopefully be reabsorbed by the planet.

When Sephiroth slices open the portal in space and time, I think the whispers are trying a last ditch effort to restore original FF7 events by creating an alternate timeline in which events play as they should (i.e Zack dies in a last stand). Even if our heroes wander off course, there's still another chance for things to go right. Unfortunately they get destroyed by Cloud and Zack lives before they can make sure he fulfills his destiny of dying. I also believe this was Sephiroth's plan all along given the little smile he gave right as Cloud lay down the hammer.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Onmi posted:

We're gonna get the same events. the promise now is "If, for example, Cloud decides he's gonna kill Reno, there's no safety net."
I can only dream. I hope Reno and Rude are just killed by the party. No "I'm beyond redemption and I feel so bad. bloo bloo bloo" speech. No "I was so conflicted and I feel guilty"

No. One of you armed the system, the other pressed the button. So gently caress you both, mass murdering fucks. You monsters.

If they get a redemption arc, I'll be kind of pissed.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JBP posted:

The party try to kill a shitload of people with bombings. Sorry that Reno and Rude are competent.

Shinra aren't people, but I am uncomfortable with how casual Berett is with collateral damage.

Harrow posted:

They already started setting up the redemption arc in this game so I guess buckle up?

Yeah, I can see that (but Sapzhnik makes a good point).

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean if you've played the original you know where the whole thing with the Turks is going.

I do. It's just 50 year old me has a completely different outlook on life than 26 year old me.

I guess I'm just frustrated these days with so many lovely, evil people in power skating through life consequence free that I'd like to not see it in a video game.

I'm still going to play the poo poo out this and the sequels.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JBP posted:

They are people and the entire crew knows that destroying the reactors is a recipe for immediate explosive death followed by grinding death without power.

I know. I'm being half hyperbolic/half serious with my comments. The redemption stuff still bothers me a bit, but it is what it is.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dreylad posted:

Also there's some cool references in the painting on Aerith's wall in Shinra HQ. Looks like Meteor, and a bunch of the summons are featured. The summons themselves seem to be written into the story more, although it's probably just neat little nods to events like Shiva being responsible for sealing the Northern Crater back when Jenova showed up.

At the center of it is a depiction of Black Materia. It’s surrounded by all the life of the planet in that painting.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Onmi posted:

No. I'd expect Zack Bombing Run if ANY DLC and I honestly hope there's none.

Yeah, I want them to focus on getting the next installments out rather than DLC at this point.

Agents are GO! posted:

I wouldn't be surprised by a "here's 100 more VR/Colliseum challenges" DLC, nor would I honestly mind playing that.

OK, I would be 100% in board with that. I can't imagine it's a huge effort even if they add different techniques and attacks. But of course I'm not a game dev, so I could be one of those "How hard could it be?" idiots here when it's insanely complicated behind the curtain.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

stev posted:

It just occurred to me that there's no ultra difficult optional superboss in this game on the level of the weapons.

Or does Bahamut count as that (I doubt I'll ever bother levlelling up all my magic materia to get to it)? Is it on the same level as the superbosses in other FF games?

I thought the vs. Top Secret mission in the Shinra VR was challenging. Bahamut in that hits like a ton of bricks (which is different than Chadley's challenge for the summon Materia), also Bahamut summons Ifrit so there's that too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Toebone posted:

One flaw with the remake is that Jenova doesn't have an eyeball on its titty

Yeah lack of eyeball titty is disappointing, but they really nailed that Eldritch Horror Outside of Time and Space vibe.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Then what the gently caress was the point of the stupid ghost poo poo. Just to pointlessly piss off dumb internet people and a cheap excuse to end this part of the game with a pair of big fanservice boss fights?

Pissing off dumb internet people is better than any DLC they could have made for this.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

With how good and how drat fun this one is, the only thing I need to know from SE is when the next one comes out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Do you guys really not see the absurd contradiction in going "haha look at these losers getting mad it's not a 1:1 remake. *turns around* anyway I fully expect and desire a 1:1 remake from here on out."

A ton of people seem to 100% agree with the angry fans but don't want to look uncool or caremad so they make fun of them while simultaneously hoping that 20% of the game was essentially a huge prank that won't matter.

Nope don't agree with the angry fans. In fact I think they're idiots who have exactly no imagination or thinking skills and need everything spoon-fed to them in easily digestible nuggets of information.

I'm also excited that it won't be a 1:1 remake. I can't think of anything more boring and will be incredibly disappointed if that's how things turn out going forward.

stev posted:

I'm more concerned how they divide the game up and handle mechanical aspects of it than changes to the plot.
Yeah, this is where I am too. I especially hope they don't gently caress with the fighting system beyond some tweaks here and there. It's by far the best "Final Fantasy" fight system from a gameplay perspective.

Also the intentional "we're slowing you down" chokepoints so they could load more textures will hopefully be reduced or eliminated, but that's likely a hardware thing that the PS5 will alleviate.

I've been hearing the "oops, we loaded a rough low res texture" is more of a known Unreal bug that pops up, but whatever it is I hope there will be a fix for that soon.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 30, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jimbot posted:

I've seen hot takes of people complaining about the "let's go shopping" scene as some out-of-nowhere shipper pandering scene. Some folks just have bad and wrong opinions.

Nah she still dies. She realizes that the killing of the whispers was actually part of Sephiroth's plan all along to keep her from joining with the lifestream to stop him. The fun part is her having to convince the rest of the party that it's absolutely necessary for them to defeat him.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

My standards may ultimately be too high for how I wanted them to portray this stuff then.

It comes across that you’re desperately trying to come up with reasons to not like the game. It’s OK. You can not like the game.

Normally I’d be whatever, but you seem to have such an unrealistic view of poverty it’s almost offensive. It’s not always doom and gloom and crushing despair. No one can live that way long term. I’ve been there. My early 20s were loving *bleak*. Living hand to mouth and at some points sleeping in a hollow I made in some bushes at a park. But even then I was able to find hope, and joy, and community. Yes there was fear and uncertainty and wondering if I was ever going to climb out, but it was never that 24/7 even at the worst.

The shantytown/slums were probably the most realistic slice of humanity in the game.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

This is pretty much what I was trying to say. I'm not saying its unrealistic for poor people to try and live positive lives in spite of their conditions. Its just not the kind of atmosphere I thought the original game was going for. I agree it wouldn't really fit with the remake, but that's why I have issues with it. Cause ultimately I think its kind of muddled in what its trying to do.

Look at it this way; in the original FF7 the ultimate destruction of Midgar feels like a necessity, and that the city itself is flawed and cannot stand. That's why it gets reduced to ruin even though the people ultimately survive (well hopefully). I very much doubt that is going to happen at the end of this series. They seem to be trying to build up Reeve as the more sympathetic person in Shinra that will probably lead Midgar to a future that isn't so destructive.

Also I don't think the remake is a bad game... I just don't think its as narratively strong as the original, and part of me talking about it is trying to piece together why (aside from the obvious stuff).

Ok, I misunderstood and apologize for coming down on you.

I get what you’re saying now. I don’t necessarily agree, but I do understand where you’re coming from now.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I have to say her theory never occurred to me.

I'm not sure how likely it is, but it's an interesting take.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

If they make pre-Janova Sepherioth a playable character in Part 3 (or 4 or whatever) that is a mandatory party member to fight Evil Sephiroth, I will lose my god drat mind.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

bewilderment posted:

Aerith's ability is actually the Arcane Ward that lets people doublecast their spells.

But also, Ray of Judgement is nice.

Arcane Ward is *just* this side of almost OP, and I love it so much. I spend time making sure it's up almost all the time. In hard mode I'd rather have two 1st level spells fire off for single mana cost than 2nd or 3rd most of the time. But I tend to be super miserly when it comes to casting vs. Abilities in Hard Mode.

And Super Anime Laser Beam can hit like a one ton anvil.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 2, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sinteres posted:

I'm not seeing the downside here. I'm not going full 'drink their tears' or anything, but if people only created media designed to be uncontroversial, we'd have a lot less interesting things to watch/play. Aeris wouldn't have died in the first place, for example.

I agree, except I'm also here for the nerd tears too. It's like a really good DLC I didn't have to pay for.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rhonne posted:

Yeah, the Cait Sith thing was super weird because you never see him again and it just seems like it was put there for nostalgia's sake or something.

I was kind of surprised that the final montage at the end of the game didn't have like, a few quick shots of the other future party members as a sort of teaser of what's to come. I guess they probably haven't finalized their updated designs yet though.

My thought is Reeve used Cait Sith to try to run and warn the residents to get the gently caress out, since the President said no to his evacuation plan. The reaction was because he was too late.

It's still crazy rear end melodrama, but it makes slightly more sense than just being a silent witness for no real reason.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A lot of her model design at a surface glance is clearly rooted in the old-fashioned damsel-in distress/Disney Princess archetypes. And then she pulls out a two-meter metal stick and crushes monster skulls with it for fun, while dragging Cloud along to go see what the next dangerous thing is so she can either crush its skull with her staff as well or set it on fire with magic.

Also chairs. She uses chairs, too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

My assumption is that the things that look kinda like animals are mostly natural with some mako poisoning. poo poo like Hell House and the triceratops tank crawled out of a mako waste dump

Animals things are mako poisoning

All mech stuff is Shinra R&D

Anything that looks like an affront to god and nature are Hojo's pet projects

Hell House was Hojo's attempt at making a summer cottage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Momomo posted:

Other than Zack being present way before he's established I'm not sure what there is to be annoyed about concerning him. When I was first watching the cutscenes it looked like he was somehow going to survive, but then they show him dragging Cloud which just told me that scene isn't over yet, and he's still going to die. Narratively it makes sense that in the next game or whenever that twist is shown, we see the final part of that flashback and it shows what happened to him.

The main issue I have with the ending is that it's a climax in a place that doesn't really deserve one. Like the motorcycle stuff was perfectly fine and maybe they could have put in a Sephiroth boss, but the whole thing about fighting the Whispers for good right then and there just felt undeserved and rushed. Like they wanted to have this climactic fight but didn't really build up to it. If this exact same scene had happened at the end of part 2 or something (assuming it's going to be three parts) then I wouldn't be nearly as bothered.

What? No, he was supposed to die in the "last stand" fight but he didn't. Zack is alive but in a different timeline.

The big thing going forward is how they're going to deal with multiple timestreams, and whether Aerith's fate has been truly changed.