Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

its not yet may tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

empty whippet box posted:

oooo watcha saaaay

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

MadJackal posted:

Day…

Day…

Day…

35M w/PMH of depression presents w/ a 19 day hx of going through hell. Found to be broken by COVID-19. Hospital course significant for bearing witness to many, many pts intubated and/or expired. Believes he brought comfort / humanity to some of his pts (results pending). Repeat rereading of his own story scared him. He started himself on comfort measures at home but was found to be…

Let's start over.

There once was a guy who lived for a fair amount of time but was still pretty new at it, all things considered. Let's call him Danny; he looks like a Danny.

Like any guy with a couple letters after his name, Danny had a few issues with healthcare, which he fought each morning. And afternoon. And evening. And when he came home. It sounds like he lived a full(ish) life. We only really know that he was a DOCTOR and LIVES AT HOME. At least when he's not spending the majority of his waking hours in a hospital. He wrote a few things in the box that's supposed to summarize Danny's social life. He could have written more about it though, since his friends have kept him going through hell. He had a wife who is his emergency contact but who left him two days short of three months ago. There’s no box to check if they loved one another, but it’s probably a given that this theoretical box used to house a neat little checkmark inside. It used to at least. He didn't have any kids despite really wanting them, which hurt her and was one of the reasons the neat little checkmark went away. It really hurts when he looks at his chart under "Most Favorite Person in the World."

Unlike other physicians, Danny never got used to people being sick, despite his whole working-at-a-hospital thing. He saw sick people sometimes, sure (that was the price of being a doctor) but as far back as 20 days ago he never saw anything like this.

Twenty days ago he came to the hospital because he was scheduled to be the senior resident. He wasn't really sure he could do a good job at it, and the whole COVID plague really scared him. He got a whole room to himself to write his worries out and the history of each day. He barricaded himself in that room for hours and hours (when he wasn't responding to Rapids or Code Blues or talking to sick patients) because COVID took over his hospital. He prescribed the drugs he was told to by his bosses and listened to the President proclaim everything would be ok. He sure loathed seeing that orange loving prick on TV.

On his third day in the hospital, he tried to do the right thing and limit suffering and protect the people around him. He offered his patient CHOICE and told the truth, even if afterwards it made him think he was a terrible person.

Danny continued to prescribe medications and continued to . Sometimes he'd joke around with the very nice nurses and it helped him breathe better. Danny wasn't sure the medications were doing any good, but he was doing what smarter people well above him recommended. And he wasn't God, you know, despite his Messiah Complex.

One day Danny came home after three weeks of working 7AM-7PM Sunday through Friday. But he took off the last day he was scheduled to be in the clinic because he couldn't take it anymore. He needed a break. And that was ok. Because he did break.

Danny didn't do much of anything in particular. He watched Some Good News with John Krasinski which made him smile, he played Stellaris while listening to Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend which made him guffaw.

Danny finished off the last pieces of donated food to the Heroes of the Hospital he had smuggled home.

He still didn’t think he was a hero, but that's ok too.

Danny hung out with his friends and gave spontaneous piggyback rides and laughed a lot even if he sorta fell straight on his face and got a small laceration to his left eyebrow. Which made him laugh harder. It was his Least Favorite Eyebrow, anyway, so who cares?

Does it even matter?

Danny didn't have to answer anyone's questions and stopped chart stalking the people he was taking care of. Because he finally realized he did his time.

Danny wrote some more one afternoon and it made him happy.

Maybe there's a book I could finish about this disaster so it could make some sort of sense now that it's passed.

For me at least.

MadJackal / Danny
New York
April 13th, 2020

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

drat that was 17 days ago

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

rat mentor?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

ArmZ posted:

haha grift machine go brrrr

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

1 higher than bearjew

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

(bearjew + 1)

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Tunicate posted:

actually there's surprisingly good evidence that Tylenol causes autism

as in like, the amount of tylenol in cord blood is hugely predictive of autism in children once they grow up (on average having detectable levels triples the chance), and the uptick in autism cases happens exactly when people stopped giving aspirin to small children due to the risk of Reye's syndrome

so yeah the antivaxx parents MIGHT have actually spotted a causal link but blamed the vaccine given to the kid, instead of the tylenol that's routinely given alongside it

LOL

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

we got ourselves a bearjew sandwich, real squeeze goin on

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

tell that friend of a friend to kill himself

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

free all insane permabanned posters

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

im going on a cruise

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

LOVED THIS GAME

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

everyone drop what you are doing and buy and play "return to obra dinn". all of you. thanks.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

space uncle posted:

Return of the Obra Dinn loving rules even if it did make me into a racist who assigns Chinese and Maori names explicitly on appearance.

i am a monster :hai:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

trimppppppppp

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

SKULL.GIF posted:

keep that garbage to the bad thread

turrrrrrrrrrp

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

we gotta get other people to die so we dont look bad

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Sir Tonk posted:

oh no my glasses

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

biblical trump

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Solarin posted:

where tf is hot mess mom and why are we not more horny for mess momes

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Sir Tonk posted:

might as well call that date rape fest

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

no they are good people we should not hate kiwis

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

oh wow i missed 4/20

lol

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

gently caress sports

gently caress SPORTS BALL

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

we are hosed

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

death to sports

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Surprisingly the legion of shut ins is not able to regulate peoples movments

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

SKULL.GIF posted:

boo hoo I have to stay inside surrounded by people and pets who love me and multiple computer devices capable of infinite entertainment and virtual social contact with others. let me step outside and go into a crowd and extend this pandemic by another 24 hours

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

There are definitely vitamin D deficient agoraphobes in here mad at the idea of anyone stepping outside of their shame cube.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Seatbelts posted:

Yeah, these need to calibrated for the surface you are measuring on, its also effected by the colour of a surface pretty heavily.
I've had my concerns about the accuracy of this practice for a minute.

its called emissivity and its stupid. god drat i hate non contact thermometers FUCKUOH\

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Barry Foster posted:

don't buy into capitalist framing, they're not useless just because they don't make the bosses rich

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

The Saucer Hovers posted:

jesus what a scene
i might have tried to kill the dog
lord god sorry about your small mauled son

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Forceholy posted:

Fear and Loathing in Mom's Basement.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

The Alpha Centauri posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

twoday posted:

I’m looking forward to being further ostracized for my pre-existing skin problems once this becomes common knowledge