Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

dead gay comedy forums posted:

some questions:

1) any way to see if I got everything from a previous level (in other words if there's a way to indicate that there's no need to farm it anymore)?

2) after I figured out (I think) how combat works, things are being rather breezy, just unlocked Yesod's. Are there any worthwhile early decks to play with or not worth even bothering to minmax here?

tia :)

edit: also roland trying to get everybody to chill is hilarious

You can generally get combat pages forever. If you run out of possible rewards for a book you burn, it'll just reset and give you the same cards you got before.

Key Pages, meanwhile, never refresh, so once those are depleted you can usually safely get away with not burning those books anymore, unless there are specific combat pages you'd like to farm.

Also, that early on, you can get away with trading around one or two key pages and replacing one or two cards as you progress. Min-maxing decks won't be necessary for a good while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Acerbatus posted:

I wasn't the biggest fan of it, but Afterglow imploded because apparently the project lead was a jerk. Too bad, it had some interesting stuff.

That being said there's still good work being done in the mod scene.

I distinctly recall briefly joining the Afterglow discord until I saw a bunch of lovely transphobic memes get posted with no pushback, so this feels less surprising than I thought it'd be.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Solitair posted:

Look what I found! I haven't watched past what I've played in the game, but what I have seen is pretty ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylRRvl74Ksc

The entirety of Urban Nightmare feels like it can be summed up as the latest guests opening the door to the Floor of Tech and immediately getting cut down in a hail of gunfire, it's magnificent :allears:

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

TeeQueue posted:

I feel like we should probably stop discussing my Let's Play in an unrelated Games forum.

Anyways, Leviathan! Pretty hosed up so far, and I'm here for it. :unsmigghh:

As someone who got into the Project Moon games for the lore and worldbuilding, I have been absolutely feasting every time a new chapter comes out. Hell, I was practically just as excited seeing that laptop computers got confirmed to exist as I was with the fact we're probably about to finally found out the origin of a non-L Corp Singularity

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Verant posted:

Based on that upcoming mission that Vergilius is leading his office on, I'm starting to wonder if Garnet might be the person with the weird arm tentacle[?] at the end of the Limbus Company trailer as a result of Distorting...or maybe it'll be an alternate him that gets pulled into this timeline from the singularity the Middle is working on.

Also still curious about what Iori's plans are, but I imagine that's going to wind up as an overarching story for the franchise or something that gets explored more in a later game.

My current tinfoil hat theory in that regard is that Garnet is going to distort into Dante. It's not as if The City's displayed a collective willingness to refer to Distorted individuals by their actual names before, and if my secondary theory about Dante being the one who revives/clones the Sinners is correct, it'd be a suitably ironic power for someone who obviously puts a lot of stock in the idea of Fixers protecting others.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

GilliamYaeger posted:

Couldn't you do something similar with Boris and Discipline? Sure there's two less hits but it's still a lot of punches. Edit: oh wait I just double checked what cocoon does, yeah that's a galaxy brain strat right there.

And I still don't get Netzach. Is Laughing Powder really that good outside the early game? As soon as I got Mind Hauler I stopped having stagger problems entirely.

It's not god-tier or anything, but realistically when you cut away the chaff it's an Abno card with the effect of "every librarian takes less Stagger damage for the duration of the reception" with no catch.

Mind Hauler is probably more reliable overall, of course, but a higher chance to keep your characters standing after a beatdown is going to be good no matter how mediocre Netzach's pages may be in aggregate.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Lunar Suite posted:

I've finally learned to stop using all my speed dice all the time, because I'm not super great at sustaining my light/page numbers. And I finally grokked how to properly out-anime ranged pages, which is to use Bamboo-Hatted Kim (or Valentin) for singular strike, stack on a Dark Cloud Blade perhaps, then use a 2-cost single-die slash page, and watch them bring a gun to a sword fight. Finally beat the thumb Soldatos, and the bigger thumb (didn't get all the pages yet, though - rude). Perhaps I'll figure out how to not have the red mist smear me into a paste next time - I got her down to 40 HP.
I know Binah is low-key specced to counter red mist, but I think I used the wrong pages at the wrong time. But then, I also don't have any abnos on Binah's floor yet so maybe I'm a little too early?

You may already know this, but when a card like Pillar says that a die that clashes against it "can't be recycled", it means that the die disappears entirely, even if they won the clash. You'll want to keep that in mind for the Red Mist especially.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

GilliamYaeger posted:

Limbus footage! Yep, that looks like Ruina 2 alright.

https://twitter.com/LiberareLimbus/status/1519260970303905794

Full gameplay mechanics vid on May 6.

Those new attack animations are slick as hell.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
Looks like every attack just hits once rather than the various dice of attack pages in Ruina, too. Saw a "Taunted" status effect in the mix, there.

Likewise, glad to see my theory about Electro-Cerberus being a new Abnormality appears to have been confirmed by that pseudo-Blue Scar E.G.O. towards the end.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
"Fluid Sac" appears to be a completely new E.G.O. as well. Judging from the backgrounds that appear when it's used, likely related to some sort of aquatic and/or plant Abnormality?

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
https://twitter.com/LiberareLimbus/status/1522554745776644096?s=20&t=y_XoXmps56s5B4M3SuHfyA

The hype train does not seem intent on stopping any time soon.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
The encyclopedia's returning, so I sort of hope that means we get to see more fanfiction from Yesod Abnormality Lore in it, too.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
https://twitter.com/LimbusCompany_B/status/1568203562316083200?t=gWckog2OPabyzSQsqJp95g&s=19

If we start getting new Abnormality previews I'm gonna die. Also seeing a familiar friend on the right...

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Junpei posted:

https://www.4gamer.net/games/635/G063540/20220915186/

Today's just a day for devs and the press, so we've got some shots of dialogue (Sinclair saying the place stinks, Faust saying they need to get the Bough, and Dante revealing that not only is he not a silent protagonist, but also that he rewinds time when the Sinners die) but not much else. Shaky hand cam coverage of fights and animations won't come until tomorrow when the general public comes in.

Or instead of relying on that, Project Moon can just directly give us gameplay footage to watch! It premiers in about 90 minutes from the time of posting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqrfJsmiFck

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
Well, it was mostly just a mix of UI updates and E.G.O. demonstrations. We got to see a new Hong Lu E.G.O., along with Fourth Match Flame Ryoshu's attack animation.

Considering we have an entire 50 minute stream coming soon, it's still nice to get a little taste beforehand.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Junpei posted:

I'll be honest while I do like this one I was kinda hoping for either Sinclair or Gregor to get an EGO shown off aside from their default, base ones.

But this does give me the opportunity to note that most of the EGO's we've seen are either original entirely (the Zayin-class personal ones everyone used in their promos, Meursault's rainbow punch and angel punch, Faust and Don's Headless Ichythys, Heathcliff's Telepole) or Aberrations of existing EGO (Hong Lu and Ishmael's one is apparently a Red Shoes Aberration, Outis uses Ebony Queen's Apple, this one is a Happy Teddy Bear one).

I wonder if maybe they're either saving a larger chunk of the EGOs that we could use in Ruina for later or straight-up planning on making most of these EGO original or Aberrations. Like, obviously they're saving WhiteNight, Apoc Bird, the Magical Girls, the Oz ones, etc. for later, but it feels odd that the only returning EGO we've seen thus far is Fourth Match Flame.

Frankly a ton of the previews we've seen are fantastic, so if they want to give us a bunch of new ones mixed with Aberrations I won't complain. Especially if they keep nailing the "scary monster/extremely strange monster" ratio.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

MetaMeme posted:

LCCB Ishmael basically does it all herself, has a good burst sk3 and a frankly absurd 16 tremor / 5 count on her sk2. I'd honestly go as far as to say that it's her best identity on the whole in terms of self-sufficiency

I think her overall viability is just enhanced by the sheer satisfaction of watching her bust a cap in the horrors that lurk within the minds of humanity.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
Already sort of finding myself curious about the new Abnormalities, as well as some of the implications made in their Observation Logs. I could probably ramble about it for ages, honestly, but I think I'll stick to some of my own major takeaways.

My Form Empties has a counterpart, possibly rivals if one assumes the four space redaction describing their relation is actually four characters and thus makes "foes" a valid read. It also represents our second "M" Abnormality ever, shared only with Doomsday Calender. At this point, I assume it's a safe bet to assume that means "Mythological", or something similar. Likewise, judging from some of the chatter between the Sinners in said report, they have encountered the Abnormalities within the Mirror Dungeon beforehand, in their "Event" iterations rather than as hostile combatants. While it could easily be handwaved as "The Mirror Dungeons represent the possibility where they're not immediately homicidal", I'm not entirely sure they won't discuss it further. Faust's dismissal of the weird timeline incongruity of their fight with My Form Empties comes off as something of an attempt to change the subject rather than her usual smugness, and I think it may be related.

Picking apart the symbolism and behaviors of Abnormalities has always been one of my favorite parts of Project Moon lore, and I'm very happy the Mirror Dungeon abnos haven't disappointed.

Probe 17 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 16, 2023

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Ariamaki posted:

Do you have a resource available where the Observation Logs are posted? I don't know if I have the energy for doing a full runback right now to read all the new ones, assuming they even unlocked correctly for me. :v:

The Limbus Wiki's got 'em all, thankfully! Here's the pages for all three of the new Abnormalities. I will note that the speculated writers for each log/comment are just that, speculation, so feel free to take it with a grain of salt.

Toad: https://limbuscompany.fandom.com/wiki/Blubbering_Toad#Story

Robot: https://limbuscompany.fandom.com/wiki/KQE-1J-23#Story

Statue: https://limbuscompany.fandom.com/wiki/My_Form_Empties#Story

Also, calling it now, the Tour Guide's heart, and the "town" it speaks of, are some sort of virtual environment that it's forcefully uploading the brains of its victims into. Or at least, that's what it's trying to do.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

GilliamYaeger posted:

Don't forget that all of Lobotomy Corp's Abnormalities emerged from the mind of Carmen. If you're doing an analysis of a given Abnormality, one should at least try to look at it through the lens of how it relates to her. My Form Empties, for example, turns its enemies into devoted followers with its preaching...

And regarding the Mirror dungeon encounters, I always saw them as performing work on the Abnormality in its cell, wheras the actual Abnormality fight is a breach.

There is certainly a connection to be made between Carmen and any given Abnormality, and I will certainly concede that "savior figure that literally conceals a red-eyed monster" is both a bit on the nose and makes My Form Empties sort of sound like Dollar General WhiteNight. But before Carmen's cogito can become an abnormality, it must be injected into, for lack of a better word, a human/animal/other "host", and I'd argue certain abnos suggest that they can pull from some deep, deep history as needed.

I just want to know who it is that My Form Empties is considered linked to, and how so. Also, isn't it funny how so far that's the only bit of information that's been explicitly redacted from an Observation Log? I wonder what that's about.

EDIT: Oops! Magmar explained the part about cogito better than I could have, read the post above mine!!! ^^^^^^

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Lord_Magmar posted:

Basically as a TLDR. Carmen is the primary source of cogito, but she a)isn't the only source and b) isn't who the cogito is used on. Her function as the Bucket in Lob Corp itself involves dragging Abnormalities out of the collective subconsciousness of humanity. Although some are obviously from her own self (Bathtub, White Night Probably). Or from specific other people/organisatioms (The Birds and the Head, One Sin and Ayin probably, Hell Train/Warp Train, Ayin's Final Ordeals of White).

Abnormalities, Distortions and Ordeals are all "failed" manifestations of human subconsciousness when exposed to Cogito(Carmen created or otherwise). EGO is the "success state". Her and Ayin's current status as "The Light" is letting her Cogito people all over the city, hence the Distortion phenomenon. Which in of itself is because she became Distorted (supposedly). I have no idea of Ayin's opinion on the matter, he might just be happy living in Carmen's eternal glowing mental embrace.

Leviathan heavily implies through dialogue that Ayin is the one responsible for allowing others to manifest E.G.O., but that he can only do so once they've shaken off Carmen's influence and prevented Distortion. I don't think we have any real idea why that's the current state of affairs, though.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Archonex posted:

So today I discovered that you can overclock ego attacks to force a corrosion attack without going to low sanity. I had no idea this was a thing and don't recall seeing a tutorial about it.

It's a recent addition in one of the patches. I presume they just haven't implemented a tutorial yet.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Junpei posted:

Dante's Notes update: Info on Lob Corp we already knew from previous games, Dante formed a 'contract' with the Sinners at some point (pre-amnesia? remotely?), a bit on how K Corp might be using it to make food from the Hell's Chicken event/Samjo, and broad definitions on the Backstreets and Syndicates.

Find it interesting they specified Syndicates aren't inherently criminal groups. I wonder if that might become relevant at some point.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Junpei posted:

the Dimension Shredder quotes are interesting because they contrast each other. Yi Sang's makes it out like he's trapped in a maze that changes behind his back, which would make it something about the fear of being lost, but Hong Lu's makes it out like he's going on a wonderous adventure, enjoys being lost, and in fact, doesn't wanna be found (because of his horrible home life/family?)

It's interesting to compare how Sinners with the same EGO represent different things/do different things with it.

It might just be Hong Lu's general tone, but to me he sounded almost a little annoyed at the prospect of visiting another world. Notably, he's not smiling in this E.G.O. art either, like his base E.G.O., and both make mention of travelling to other worlds.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

L.U.I.G.I posted:

I'm guessing he will make a bunch of weird and obscure korean/philosical joke?

A big chunk of Yi Sang's dialogue in Korean is puns relating to words that sound like his name. His focus on "the ideal", for example, is part of this running gag. It even leaks out to the other Sinners, seeing as Meursault's rant at Yi Sang in Hell's Chicken utilized several of those puns in quick succession, rather than the brief diss rap he delivered in the English translation.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
I will idly note that according to Wonderlab, not all of the ocean is some kind of polluted hellscape. One of the protagonists looks back fondly on their childhood memories of swimming, for example, and the waters shown look pretty nice.

Furthermore, while I personally subscribe to the theory of Nosferatu as a "natural" Abno and the one who shared blood with the first Bloodfiends, I don't think there's any hard confirmation yet, and we may not get it for a little while.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
I think the new sanity system wasn't bad so much as perhaps a little too strict with the SP it provided. It made E.G.O. less worthwhile, too, considering even Legerdemain would completely waste a won clash with it.

I think there's a middle ground that can, and probably should, be reached for, especially as it made Grippy Sinclair crazy good and probably would have made future negative coin IDs a bit broken.

Probe 17 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 1, 2023

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
MD sweeps seem incredibly unlikely, but I'll note that even with my complaints about the new system I never felt like I was losing too much because of it. In a MD, with E.G.O. gifts and carried over Sin resources, it would probably have been even less noticeable. I just don't think the new system felt good, and I hope there's a balance that can be reached there.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
She's definitely older than she looks. Between the genuine offense she seems to take when mistaken for a child and her both calling Sinclair "young" and talking about her fondness for youth, I don't even think they've made it especially subtle.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
I suspect Red Eyes' "Open" variant is meant to represent a Sinner being able to connect with an E.G.O. on a deeper level. If there's anyone who I imagine would vibe with the "mother who will tear you the gently caress apart if you touch her baby" Abno, well...

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Lord_Magmar posted:

My thought was that the normal Red Eyes version will have a passive that upgrades it to the other one under some specific circumstance.

We've got skills with variable options already, although it's only on Kurokumo Rodion (who can replace her counter skill with her tier III skill).

Not a bad theory! I just suspect between Ryoshu having literally no non-base E.G.O. aside from FMF and the fact that players who DO have it would get to double-dip HEs like that, they'll be two separate E.G.O. We'll see soon enough!

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
Saw someone note that Kong Lu can self-fuel Dimension Shredder. That's gonna be a shot in the arm for survivability, I think.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
As someone who's definitely too invested in picking apart Abno symbolism I'm already having a great time with this new batch. Among other things, we may have a new Oz abnormality... who's also an Aberration of the old lady who tells stories???

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
White Gossypium is mostly useful for early on in fights with multiple enemies, where you can't guarantee more than one or two hits on a Staggered foe and an assload of Bleed is, in fact, going to be more damage at the time. Not that this isn't still incredibly niche, but it's not completely useless.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Yinlock posted:

I came from Ruina and HP Stagger is a whole different ball-game. Has it been so long that you've already forgotten the horrific poo poo that loving chicken could do to you if you let any one of it's attacks land.

I can safely say there will be absolutely no situation where Liu Ish wants to take a full attack, copping a Stagger if she's unlucky, in exchange for 1 burn count. You're right that Sun Heathcliff gets good use out of his, though he is an extreme outlier given that his counter has like 3 effects. e: also it's 2 coins??? if all counters were like this they wouldn't be such rear end

N Meursault can get some decent use out of his too, but it's not particularly good. Stronger than his skill 1 though damage-wise which is pretty funny

Papa Bongy was a freak of nature and seemingly factory made to insta-gib Sinners, though.

Pithiness aside, I've always found the exact danger of a Stagger to be pretty contextual myself. Usually it's a matter of the speed stat either choosing to giveth or taketh away, but imo the later in a fight a Stagger happens the easier it is to regain your footing.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
I wouldn't be terribly shocked if the next 000 in the pipe turned out to be some big Poise enabler. Seems like they've been going down the list of status effects one by one lately, not that I think it's a bad thing.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Saigyouji posted:

Hard mode Brazen Bull is certainly something, and that something is "probably shouldn't be clashing in the mid-20s".

Oh thank god it's not just me. Those numbers are utterly ridiculous. He literally hits the 30s with some regularity.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
I can attest to having beaten My Form Empties with exclusively the cost/ego resource buffs, and not even the full track. Just a max level/uptie team, some good E.G.O. gifts and luck.

It's definitely not impossible to beat it without the full set of upgrades, but I absolutely see why you'd want to have them.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
I mean it's undeniable that not dropping very much money represents a slower progression. I think it's valid to be concerned these costs might be a bit steep! I, personally, imagine some Mirror Dungeon grinding will at least represent enough shards to at least upgrade a decent "A-team". We'll see after the patch drops, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
I think it might help that already strong IDs probably won't see huge changes in their Uptie IVs. Grippy Faust is already the Support Queen ID, I doubt uptying her will do anything besides make a couple numbers slightly bigger, so why rush to Uptie her when I could make [INSERT FLOUNDERING ID HERE] way more useable?