Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Shai-Hulud posted:

They...are taped over because for some reason they think it's necessary to keep some sort of camo on the car.

The front has some extra things that probably aren't done yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
It's different in the US vs EU also

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Production hasn't geared up for the americas out of TN yet.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

YOLOsubmarine posted:

As skeptical as I am of Lucid managing to become a legitimate automaker I’m even more skeptical that the cyber truck will exist in anything like the described form at the stated price.

From dealing with them they're better than Tesla but that's a low bar. I'm hoping they do ok because the car's grown on me since the first time I saw it.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Ola posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NRTGUj75oc

The front looks really good with the camo tape off.

It'll look even cooler as we get closer to PVS

:q:

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

and the new car that they gave you would have better QC because of..............................?

Also at least you can be more sure the roof is ok on the repaired car.

Now control arm nuts ymmv

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

gwrtheyrn posted:

Looks like VW is delaying the ID.4 in the US. When I went to the order confirmation page, it now says early 2021 instead of late 2020. Unsurprising, since it sounds like VW is missing their targets in europe.

It was pushed 6 months back a couple months ago but must not have been updated everywhere. Going to be interesting seeing the German vs US versions when it changes over in 22, too.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Shamino posted:

Why couldn't you just laser scan the whole car (or use cameras) instead of having some dude blow out his back using a pair of calipers all day?

Because someone has to look at the car at some point else you end up like Tesla. It's probably one of many points of emphasis since that video was a pre-production run, possibly the first, so those cars will be checked a million times over. You can see the PVS tagging which is VW speak for the first stage of complete production intent prior but not completely to final spec.

Also laser scanning shiny things like paint sucks rear end and edge detection like a panel gap isn't great since you can't read the round edge below the surface plane reliably.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Shamino posted:

My point is it's not an unsolvable problem. 2x sets of stereo cameras less than a foot away should be able to define edges and distance well enough to red flag anything more than maybe a half mil off (I bet you could do less, tbh.)

They're not that accurate yet and would take a lot longer than checking it with a gauge when you're just trying to make a single measurement. I use a fancy blue laser 3D scanner almost daily for decorative automotive parts and while it's like magic, it has limitations. If you were trying to automate that inspection, you'd just have a robot arm use a gauge to run down the gaps. If you want to see why the gap exists by seeing every panels' orientation and dimension at the same time, you pull that car offline and scan it.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

borkencode posted:

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1366806767146008580?s=20

Looks like Tesla is going to be replacing a bunch of sensors for the 3/Y.

Good, they deserve it 100x over

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Charles posted:

If we're making requests, can you tell the people who design illumination that I'm a freak and can see the LEDs turning on and off and stuff like the RAV4 headlights are a nightmare for me. Haha.

Sorry, PWM frequency and other associated power things are dictated by the OEM so you'll have to yell at them first

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Wibla posted:

Ford is late to the party

It's not even that they're late, it's just that if you're already making tons of saleable vehicles you're better off making sure that your first entries into EVs are incredible . Tesla is the only mainstream company that's happy to excuse their garbage by spitting in everyone's face being a silicon valley disruptor.

They'll eventually learn that there's a reason that automotive seems to move at what looks like a glacial pace and it's not because OEMs don't know that they're doing.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

This'll probably be easier to interpret:

It's not underground, it's strapped to the siding/wall since it's around the back of the house and I'm not worried about looks (and I figured that'd save me a bunch of money).

That's insanely high. I'd strongly consider doing it yourself because you can do it for like $500 to the exact same standards and you don't even have to contend with the house wiring or cosmetics. I did basically the same thing a few months ago to install a hot tub circuit and it was only a couple hours of light work and that was a fancier setup with a GFCI. Someone else might know more but that quote isn't even to code around here because the romex to THHN switch should be inside the house because romex isn't outdoor rated.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Slimy Hog posted:

They could have made a good plaid badge though

There were a couple better variants with multiple surface finish/color combinations and I made some really sweet prototypes over 2 years ago but then they settled on that.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
1995 Saturn SL2
1997 Toyota 4Runner
1999 MB E55
2004 Nissan Pathfinder
2010 Audi S4
2015 Jeep GC SRT
2007 Lexus LS460

Forever alternating between cars and SUVs. The LS owns so much for the price and we still have an 01 911 Turbo for giggles that until car prices settle down, I'm probably stuck. I really wanted to get an ID.4 so I can make some wild custom parts but I'll never buy a VW after having to work with them. The Ionic 5 N is my current hope but I really want to pick up an LC500 or Supra in a couple years.

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 4, 2022

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Test drove a Volvo C40 Recharge today and was underwhelmed a little. Terrific powertrain in an entry-level luxury car and the power far outpaced the chassis. It reminds me of when I tried an Audi SQ5 and it's just too fast for the the suspension tuning plus the C40 has a short steering ratio that makes it worse. I was really looking for a Polestar 2 but it's similar enough the C40 that I'm not going to bother. Disappointing but just not what I was looking for.

I can't bring myself to shop Teslas but I wish there was some other fast EVs without going into Taycan territory. I'd consider an EV6 GT but even the GT-Lines are months out so it's going to be forever and the same goes with the other 2 SK twins.

Maybe an I4 M50 since I work for a company that supplies a ton of BMW parts but it looks a little boring compared to the Koreans and is still expensive.

Maybe the looming recession will finally take down car prices a notch but I'm not holding my breath.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I think most ICE vehicles will drop but EVs? Yeah, gonna be a while.

I wonder what kind of Mark up we'll be seeing on the 2023 Bolts.

Exactly, and paying for premium while getting 20mpg is rapidly getting old. Gonna see about an i4 M50 tomorrow since they exist and I can use it as leverage to put in EV chargers at work, plus I can customize some stuff with prototype parts. I wanted to get an ID.4 to really get wild but that would require giving VW money.

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 14, 2022

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Probably worth still considering the Polestar with the performance pack for a test drive. The suspension there is quite a bit different to the Volvo. Even the base Polestar is rumored to have much stiffer suspension than the Volvo and the performance pack will be moreso.

I might still try it if nothing else sticks out but it's over 2 hours to the nearest dealer which puts a damper on things.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Aren’t you coming from a Macan? I don’t think there’s anything in it’s class that’s going to compete on driving dynamics, EV or otherwise, unless you step up to one of the exotic marques. If you want to to feel like a Porsche you’ll probably have to get a Porsche.

Kinda, my wife had an S but she traded it in for a CX9 in 18 and I had an SRT Jeep but traded that in for an old LS460. We moved at the time so we downgraded and also sold off a couple project cars but moved down and still have a tuned 911 Turbo. Now it's time to hop back into something wild and with gas prices up, a super fast EV seems right if I can find something that clicks.

The local BMW dealer has an i4 40 as a demo that I'm trying this week and a M50 sounds like a hoot although the current delivery is Q1 23. The M50 is the current choice but that delay hurts, especially with rates and prices climbing if they can't be fixed now. Might just wait it out another year.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I gave up car shopping for now since everything is basically 9 months or more out (i4 M50 is Q1 at best now), if you can even get info (looking at you EV6 GT). Ended up reserving a Rivian last week because if I'm going to wait then it might as well be for something wild plus I don't trust locking in that far in advance with a dealership.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The ID.4 is a fine car but I’d be hard pressed to make an argument as to why you should pick one over the Ioniq 5. It might be easier to get your hands on one, but that’s about it. I’d take one of the Ioniq/EV6 over any competitors in that class.

To add to this, ID.4s will start US production in a month so there should be a lot more available soon.

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

It is funny how - aside from BMW which makes the best designed cars in the world - every EV sedan is trying so hard to make a car look like an Apple Mouse with wheels. I get that there's constraints with having to have a battery block at the bottom of the car, but when did everyone just say "okay let's just put a VW Bug on one of those medieval torture racks where the horses walk in two different directions and stretch it out" and ship it

:thunk:

I like BMW but the i4 front looks like rear end

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Went to buy a Kia EV6 GT yesterday and got a taste of the Kia dealer experience. Agreed on $54,500 + tax/title/etc via Kia financing during the week so I took the fam out 2.5 hours to ParkSide Kia in Knoxville to do the paperwork and drive back. Got there and saw what looked like my car in a side lot covered in dirt and mud but saw it had a preowned sticker so I relaxed a little. Went and set up the test drive while they 'got my car out of detailing' and lo and behold, it's the abused shitbox and it has 2800 miles on it.

It also had:
- dirt all over the rear seat area. Looked like a kid and muddy dog played back there.
- trash all over the car. Apparently the GM is using it as his personal dumpster
- GoPro mount on the dash
- absolutely shredded tires. It looked like a tire set after a trackday, just bizarre wear patterns.
- Both right tires and wheels were destroyed. Literally metal and rubber chunks gone. Both had about 1"x2" areas missing about 1/2" deep chunks of rubber. Vibrated at highway speeds too.

Then time for talking numbers. Best they would do was $59,500. Said the number they gave me reflected the full EV rebate, then that is was because of condition, then because it was a different trim, then that they did the numbers wrong, then that they never said I never got that email. Text from said email:

"Let me go ahead to answer your question regarding the EV6 GT model you inquired about. I have great news, if you finance with KIA I actually can sell you this vehicle for 54,500 plus tags, title, taxes and fees. This special price is exclusive to financing with KIA. "

Showed them the email and asked why the car was preowned and they basically said I could pay $59,500 or maybe they wouldn't replace the wheels/tires and would cut me another $500.

Worst dealer ever and I sent Kia corporate a complaint with pictures of the original ad, email, and CPO sticker with VIN etc because seriously what a bunch of loving losers. Wasted 7 hours of a prime Saturday and about $100 in gas.

Now I get to try this again, just sell me a loving car you clowns.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I forgot one of the most telling lines from before I knew something was up, I think when they were trying the "you actually were quoted a GT-Line" tactic:

"Are you sure you aren't interested in a GT-Line? Kia requires us to ask if you want a cheaper model because we're always trying to save you money."

I've had just about as many good dealer experiences as bad but that's usually because I work the numbers out ahead of time and just go in for paperwork so the shitbag ones get weeded out early. This is the first time I've ever had every part of the experience fall apart and it also happens to be the only time that it involved a small road trip too.

I have faith that there's a couple out there interested in making some money and selling me a car but we shall see. I already tried a Polestar and couldn't like the interior. I work in automotive trim and the center console and shifter parting lines were just too much. I wouldn't be able to stand looking at them every day. Rest of it was good but you can tell Kia spent all their effort on the EV6 while the C40/Polestar twins feel like afterthoughts.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Wait, I forgot the best single exchange:

Salesman: "My boss Steve said he emailed you details about the purchase."

Me: "Nope, just you and Amber from sales who said out of state taxes won't be collected and it's all fine."

Him: "Oh, that was probably Steve, he doesn't like giving out his email or even signing into his account because we just got 2-factor authentication that's a real pain. He just uses whoever's account is logged in or tells us to log our accounts in for him to do all his email. You'll never get an email from Steve but usually he puts his name it in somewhere so check that."

Me: :stare:

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Just got it home and charging via crappy 110 until my wall charger rolls in tomorrow but it's an incredible car. Insane power with clever, thoughtful design everywhere. It really feels like Kia didn't cut any corners and manages to feel like a sports car cockpit instead of a sterile pod with tablets glued everywhere.

I'll do a burnout by the weekend, I didn't buy a car with a drift mode to never use it.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

Congrats! It looks great. You ended up with the GT then?

Thanks and yup for the GT. It feels like teleporting to wherever you want to be on the road especially since the steering is so quick.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
At 2 weeks in with the EV6, I love it more than before. It's insanely good at everything practical I can think of with the added bonus of being insanely fast while being a terrific sleeper. A+ and I'll probably have more detailed stuff to go over but not tonight.

Anyways, took the longest roadtrip yet this weekend driving 20 minutes to the dealer to get plates then a slightly longer trip back since it was a nice day. Got a picture at one of the better stops out of obligation to do a car shot but the smoke just washes everything out plus the angle makes it look a bit dumpy. Our daughter especially liked watching the miles remaining go up while coasting down and ending up with more miles after 15 minutes driving than we started with at the top.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

drhankmccoyphd posted:

If I was going to consider stepping up beyond the mid-range price point of 40-50k, where I'm looking at Model 3, Polestar2, Id.4 etc, and into the 60-100k range what should I be looking at? I feel like specs wise the Model S is in the sweet spot given the inventory discounts right now around 85k-ish. The Lyriq looks ok in the 60-70k range but honestly it just strikes me as another boring crossover. I could also look at sportier stuff like the porsche Taycan but I'd be heavily sacrificing range...

I would like to suggest the Kia EV6 GT because I bought one a few weeks ago and it's so good that I won't stop telling everyone. It does hurt you on range at ~250 (ignore epa) but you can get one for under 60k out the door plus the 800v architecture is a nice way to offset slightly shorter range with significantly shorter stops. It's a thoughtfully designed car inside and out strapped to an insane powertrain with some really aggressive programming. It's like if there was an electric R63 AMG successor, this would be it.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Hnnngh if the EV6 GT had larger rear trunk space I would be all over that poo poo. I would go with that over the GV60 just on looks alone too as I imagine they are pretty similar to drive. GV60 probably has a slightly nicer interior though, and the Genesis service is a bonus too.

EV6 has bigger motors and 100hp on the GV60 performance even in boost mode. It's a legit crazy machine. I originally compared it to my old SRT Jeep but after a couple weeks with it, it's much closer to our 700hp 911 in power delivery and attitude. Comfortable and fairly luxurious to cruise around in, angriest car on the road when pushed. My wife joked that if someone saw our 911 and wanted to race we'd show up in the EV6 instead. I feel that this article is the most accurate review after having spent some time with it.

Also the interfaces/features are still really good. I tried lane centering and auto cruise for the first time today and didn't have to touch the wheel with more than a finger for 5 miles of winding country roads in the rain. Works great in tandem with the pretty big HUD.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Ditto on teal. It's the best color for sure.

I'm just wrapping up my lease buyout with Kia and so far it's been surprisingly smooth. Two weeks after buying it I requested the buyout quote, sent the check the next day, and the day after it arrived I got secure messages from Kia with the bill of sale and info about the title delivery. Now I just have to hope the title arrives as expected.

I've never leased before so it was a little stressful, especially since most dealers knew less than I did about the early buyout nonsense, but it appears to have worked perfectly by getting the tax credit passthrough without any bullshit so far.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
As a datapoint, we paid $4800 for a full Avery wrap + ceramic (ceramic on wheels and brakes too) including door jambs and a few other optional spots. That was about 6 years ago and it's still holding up except for minor bubbles on a couple of the tighter and more complex areas. This was on a 996TT so it was a nightmare of doing every louver and trim bit that definitely added time and cost.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I have dealer opinions, but for a Kia EV6 instead of Hyundai though it shouldn't be far off. Short story, one dealer was probably doing borderline illegal poo poo and was the worst I've ever dealt with ever. I then I ended up buying from the local dealer which was the postcard of an optimal dealer experience. It was fast and easy: 10 minutes negotiating with fair outcome, 20 minutes with finance, then drive off. In conclusion, dealers are a land of contrasts.

I think it's up more to the individual dealers to perform well compared to most brands but you're not necessarily screwed.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Just finished the entire EV6 lease+rebate and buyout scheme today ending with the car titled and registered in my name. I waited 2 weeks to request the buyout quote then sent the check and heard back 3 days later from Kia saying that they just needed a bill of sale signed and returned. Once I did that, the next day the title tracker showed it in progress and a few days later it was in our mailbox. From quote to title in hand was 2 weeks and I never had to do anything except fill out a super short buyout agreement page and sign the BoS.

A+, would do all the bullshit again

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

cruft posted:

You have 24 hours to post a photo. Thread rules. :colbert:

I've already posted a couple earlier but since it's a nice day on a Friday, here's a few minutes ago.

The car continues to be incredible and I've made peace with blowing through a set of tires a year because I'm never going to stop driving it like a gocart and racing to the speed limit. The usual car functions are all top tier with the only mild let down being the stereo but I came from an LS460 with the ML system so it's not a fair comparison. It reminds me of the general composure of my old B8 S4 with how it's civilized or brutal depending on drive mode but it's just unimaginably fast, especially at backroad speeds, and I'm pretty used to fast cars.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

Ioniq 5N is the one I'm looking forward to but it's hard to get too excited about stuff that's probably going to be limited quantity/high demand and thus impossible to get without paying an extra $10k.

No that's not the fact. I very strongly considered moving from my Polestar 2 to an MYP but I don't like that I'd be giving up a lot of things I like in exchange for the roomier interior.

Try an EV6 GT. I tried to love a Polestar2 or even its C40 Recharge sibling but honestly I thought both were outclassed in almost every way by the GT. It's brutally fast even in ways our 700hp 911 or my old SRT Jeep weren't. You can even get them for under MSRP and with the $7500 tax rebate if you jump through a couple minor hoops.

It's also better looking than Ioniq5 :colbert:

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
It's fine for what it is, a halo SUV executed well with some overdone styling to match. A standard XM is better looking than garbage like grand wagoneers or ultra premiums like the Bentley SUV thing, and I don't even like BMWs.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Lady Radia posted:

i would be fine with it if it didnt do the loving pig nose poo poo with the front grill

They do look more normal in person and 90% of photos online are of the highest contrast schemes but it's basically an M3 nose on an X5 right down to the grill bumps overflowing to the hood to differentiate it from regular trims. It doesn't look as outright hideous as an M3 probably because the X5 is big enough to handle a ridiculous nose like that but it still ends up looking a little weird. It basically goes X5->X5M->XM like 330i->M340i->M3

ymmv but I see them a lot

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I also just did the lease buyout with an EV6. It went just like Talorat said with a couple minor differences, maybe Kia specific. I sent a cashier's check for the full amount and they had the title to me within a week so it was exactly 2 months from starting the lease to having it titled and registered in my name.

Just make sure you aren't in a state that lets dealers control your lease and that you won't have to pay sales tax twice. It also helps if you can find a dealer that's done it before because it takes some of the stress off.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

McKracken posted:

Considering doing this with an Ioniq 6. I've only ever bought cars cash before so never dealt with leasing.

Did you disclose to the dealer you would be buying out the lease immediately and negotiate price as if you were paying cash or did you just negotiate the lowest cap cost possible and then go from there?

Yup, but only one of the 4 dealers I talked to knew what I was trying to do but that was the dealer I ended up buying from. They had already done one that week so they could provide the correct payoff so it was a lot less stressful compared to every other dealership just adding the payments and buyout since they didn't know how leases work.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Pappyland posted:

Hi all, I’m looking at the EV6 vs. GV60.

1. Is there any reason to consider a GV60 over EV6 for the price difference? I’m not THAT impressed by the mood lighting orb, though iOS Car Key support seems potentially worth it.
2. I’m tempted to get the new forest green LE GT-line edition, but would prefer the GT’s horsepower. Is there any reason to truly consider a GT-Line AWD EV6 over GT? Seems like the trade off is acceleration vs. (slight) mileage drop.

The GV60 is just extra money for an uglier exterior, fancier interior, and less performance.

Don't get a GT-Line if you can get a GT since a GT is an upgrade in every way except a minor loss of range. Ignore EPA ratings on the GT as they're grossly wrong, actual range is 230-240mi compared to the 270 of the GT-Line. The closest thing to a downgrade are the manual seats and no ventilation but they're alcantara so they're cooler anyways and the seats overall are great with enough adjustment for most people. The upsides are a whole shitload of power and lots of performance improvements like e-LSD, adaptive suspension, bigger motors, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

We were just talking about this in the D&D energy thread. Despite the impressive nuclear and renewable plans, the gird is pretty spectacularly bad so far:

The lack of coal growth is almost entirely taken up by burning more oil which is only marginally better. Hydro probably still has some potential but then you're done.

That chart's total energy use, not generation for the electrical grid.