Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Did my first ever DC fast charge on my Bolt yesterday... that charge cord was THICC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
My Bolt is still in OnStar demo mode...I leased it in January.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

MrOnBicycle posted:

If I'm reading this right and the lease monthly cost is $244... how is that even possible?

If that's with zero drive offs, it would just be huge discounts. My guess is that it's full msrp, minus the listed discount, and a huge down payment. The lease terms are cropped out.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Don’t put money down a lease.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

knox_harrington posted:

Would wrecking the car on Day 1 not be covered by your insurance? I am guessing not, presumably due to shittiness of car insurance in the US, but it seems absolutely crazy from a Euro perspective. The lease agreements require that you get full cover insurance anyway.

I have managed to wean myself off the idea of leasing a Taycan by realising that if I get an e-tron 55 instead, after 36 months the money saved would be enough to buy the Tacan's residual value.

Yes you're supposed to have full coverage but generally you'll get diminished value because guess what, the car is used now. Most leases have gap insurance for this reason but even then, why deal with it in the first place? Also what if you return the car? If you do MSDs (multiple security deposits, aka buy down the rate) you get that money back when you turn it in. You don't get down payment money back. The same applies to a trade in...it's better to just get a check from the dealer and not let that money come near the lease.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Here are some actual policy endorsements which stipulate what coverage actually entails.

https://ecommerce.commerceinsurance..._CA20711001.pdf
Excludes carryover balances - section “e”.

https://www.uuinsurance.com/ShowPDF.php?number=F.34545A+%2804-17%29
Excludes carryover balances - section “e”.

https://www.nationwideprivateclient.com/libraries/sites/1/assets/import/Pdf/NWPC_CA_NewCarReplacement_GapCoverage_PP1406%2011-15.pdf
Excludes carryover balances - section “c”.

https://www.plymouthrock.com/public/Plymouthrock/StaticFiles/PDF/assurancepackages/assurancepremier.pdf
Excludes carryover balances - section “c”, subsection “f”.

You may want to re-read the language on those. A carry-over balance is an unpaid balance on a different loan. If the money is financed as part of a new loan that has gap, the gap insurance covers the new balance. Where this comes up is during the time that your previous balance hasn't been paid off yet and you technically still have two separate loans.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

knox_harrington posted:

Aahahaha

Loooooolllll

mods ban this sick filth

just kidding, i'm so, so jealous

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I then was contacted the very next day by the dealer I purchased from last year wanting to buy up cars. Disappointingly, I go there and they say my Bolt isn't exactly a good candidate for that and pointed me to the buyback program.

FYI this is a dealership scam as old as time. I bet if you wanted a Tahoe or Silverado they would have said your Bolt was a great candidate.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
The prevalence of Tesla brainworms means that Teslas are considered aspirational purchases by the non-car enthusiast public.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
is it not $5?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I'm not a red car guy but that looks pretty good.

I would like to do a Tesla test drive but even though I live in Atlanta they want me to test drive in Knoxville?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

TJChap2840 posted:

I was getting the same thing. It was telling me to do Decatur or Knoxville. My local store is the Alpharetta/Roswell one. When I took delivery a few weeks ago I asked about the gallery store at the Avalon. He said it was supposed to be for test drives but they literally can’t keep cars there because Teslas are selling so fast. He also said they were likely going to close it within a year since it isn’t really able to serve its purpose.

I guess I'll just buy it and if I don't like it, resell it to Carvana for profit.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I live in Georgia and I’ve never seen a Niro EV in person before. Kia’s just ignoring this area sadly.

I saw one near my house the other day! So they do exist in Georgia...at least one does.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

knox_harrington posted:

My Taycan is back at the garage with its first significant issue. The heater wouldn't work the other day and given my main use case is going to the mountains that's a real problem.

When I drove home the air temperature was -7C and presumably not much higher in the cabin, it just never warmed up and I got pretty drat cold. Thank god for heated seats and wheel. There was still snow in the cabin when I got home 2 hours later.

It needs a heater control unit which is back ordered so I am now in a base model Macan loaner, which is objectively a decent car but feels like a huge downgrade.

It's a shame you can't just tweet the CEO and get it done faster.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

LionArcher posted:

Nobody in here taking about the Toyota EV’s they announced? Shameful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

It explains why the Chevy dealers all have loads of bolts and bolt EUVs available on their lots.

I believe they're still under a stop sale order. A dealer near me shows EUVs in stock on Autotrader but nothing on their actual site.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Russian Bear posted:

Hand cranked windows in a new EV would be hilarious and amazing.

Hand crank windows but the cranks run a generator that powers the electric windows.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Also check out CarGurus. They were the best out of all of them for me.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
XC90 phev- great idea or the greatest idea?

family of 4, 1 in a car seat, 1 in a booster

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Looks too much like a Chrysler Crossfire with 4 doors.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Cinrac posted:

The 360 degree camera requires going through menus to activate it, and it turns off the second you put it in drive so you have to turn it back on if you are trying to use it to parallel park.

FYI you can drag the camera app in the app drawer to one of the bottom buttons that's there all the time on the screen.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

cruft posted:

Sometimes I feel like you're the only one in this thread who really understands me, bird with big dick.

I thought you two were the same person

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Vegetable posted:

I don’t think you need the screen to light up with a brake light indication but I do think the manufacturers generally haven’t communicated how brake lights work with regen braking. Brake lights are such an important signal on the roads and I think they could probably be speaking more to it.

On my Bolt, it was listed in the manual.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
The original Sony vision concept looked great! Just make that, idiots!

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

priznat posted:

Yeah that's one thing reviews rarely get a very good handle on, reliability. I'm not really keen on a PHEV either, seems like just more possibilities for issues than a straight ICE or BEV. I imagine with that turbo/supercharger it'll require the higher octane gas too.

Volvo dropped the supercharger across the lineup for '23. Still probably requires premium.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
give me wool interiors in cars that aren't $100k+ :colbert:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
the iX has really grown on me

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

WhiteHowler posted:

I was hoping the entry level would be under 40k (since I want the extended battery and AWD at a minimum), but it's not as bad as I'd feared.

It's too bad Hyundai is not currently building their EVs in the US. There's a plant in my state that makes the Santa Fe, Elantra, Tuscon, and Santa Cruz. They've announced a new battery plant to be built nearby, so I wonder if they'll try to convert that factory over to EVs in the next few years. Becoming eligible for a $7500 tax credit would be huge for sales.

https://www.al.com/news/2023/02/hyundais-plant-in-montgomery-to-roll-out-1st-electric-vehicle-today.html

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

GlassEye-Boy posted:

What's the current markup on these though? Last I check any desirable model had something like 3-7k markup, has that gotten better?

Probably none since they're not eligible for the tax credit on a purchase and Tesla lowered their prices so much.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Any more news about the EV equinox? I remember hearing more would come out in spring and I was waiting for info before I settle on a purchase before end of year.

I hope you weren't planning on using CarPlay or Android Auto with it.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

SlowBloke posted:

My use case scenario for CarPlay is navigation and emergency conference, so if the car infotainment can handle teams, webex and zoom maybe I could do without but I'm skeptical on long term availability of the integrations (like all devices that had Skype or Facebook hardwired in the os and were killed once the api changed).

The Ultium vehicles will be using Android Automotive so I guess the big question would be if the Android Automotive app store will have them for download.

edit:

cruft posted:

I believe their plan is to charge you every month for it.

Probably data mining plus subscription fees.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 10, 2023

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
It's a shame the hyundai/rimac tie up never went anywhere.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Nitrox posted:

The usual advice is to get all quotes and writing before you go to the dealership. Anything over the phone is hearsay

"We don't share quotes until you come in because we don't want you to show it to our competitor"

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Silly Burrito posted:

Just pulled into the Gulf Shores Buc-ee’s

Loxley :colbert:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Ioniq5s aren’t selling with out the lease credit so don’t give into the the fake “rebate ends today!!!”pressure the dealership is putting on you.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
the iX is good :colbert:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

I'm thinking about getting a Lucid Air. Anybody here have experience with one?

If it were my money I’d get one of the low mileage BMW iX leases instead of the Lucid. BMW is cheaper and more likely to be around by the time the lease is over.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
https://twitter.com/deitaone/status/1717616200006471948?s=46&t=yAZC6ladUury87T2A2XYZQ

lol oops

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Pork Chops Aplenty posted:

Not in any rush to buy, but I want something reliable that I can plan on driving for 10-15 years with minimal repairs/hassle like my current 2008 TL...

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION but...

I would stick to ICE versus an EV if that's the case. EVs today are very much 1.0 products. If that timeline was 5-7 years, maybe EVs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

I'm really not sure how Sirius XM is still a thing, their customer base is the intersection of people who are A) not happy with free car radio, B) too old to know how to use their phone for media, and C) able to afford a monthly subscription for car radio. How is this a successful business model? I don't get it.

I know how to use a phone to play music, but I just like having someone else curate music for me. I'm a SiriusXM, Apple Music and Spotify subscriber. :c00l: