Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Details about the Byzantine Empire seem to be pretty rare, we also don't know if they still follow Imperial Elective, still start with viceroyalties, and I'm also not sure whether Orthodox still follows the Pentarchy or uses the autocephaly mechanic.

Wasn't there a DD or a Q&A where they said the Byzantines have a simplified inheritance structure right now, and expanding that is going to come in a DLC where their goal is to get it much better than CK2 did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Bettik posted:

One limitation these videos all seem to have is no inheritance - it’s all the scope of a single character.

Agreed, but since Paradox's ask (based on what I saw of the videos) seems to have been "play up the revamped character-building and personality decisions," it makes sense.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

RattiRatto posted:

I fell to the hype and pre-ordered it. No matter how it turns out, it's already clear that this game will be the perfect platform to develop great mods while having crazy incest with your cousin

This. I never got good at CK2 at all, but I was perfectly happy to spend dozens of hours with mods and console commands. I have no reason to think CK3 isn't going to be excellent, but even if it turns out not to be, what's that going to look like? The game is badly balanced and too hard? Oh, no, I'll have to use console commands again...

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Tenacious J posted:

I really want to get hyped for this since I missed out on CK2. It looks like it has lots of things I love about games but I think my (broken) brain is having trouble getting into it. It’s a conceptual thing. I think I don’t know what the “goal” is when I play CK2 (and presumably CK3). I know it’s a sandbox and you can make your own goals, but let’s say my goal is to get a ton of land and power - it seems arbitrary to me to pick a small and poor family when I could just play as an emperor.

I know I’m looking at it wrong, it just hasn’t clicked yet. Where does the goal/fun of the game come from for you?

Edit: is it just a matter of this game demands more “role playing” than other games to engage with it as a player?

Let's say you want a ton of land and power and you decide to play as an emperor:

Emperors don't control the whole world. Do you want more land and power?

Emperors have varying control over their subordinates. How are you going to put down rebellions? How are you going to prevent rebellions before they start?

Emperors don't live forever (usually). Is your firstborn going to be as capable a leader? If so, will you be able to get more land and more power with them? If not, what are you going to do about it?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Eimi posted:

Hell I think the gender law this time will even let you just make the world enatic if I remember previews correctly.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can just start as e.g. enatic and majority-homosexual, but I'm not sure if that will give the existing titles to the highest eligible woman and make everyone gay, or if it'll start things as normal but all the rulers will be naming their daughters as heirs and wondering why they're not showing interest in boys.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Dramicus posted:

Would that also change the religious virtues? Because if not it would probably lead to a bunch of rebellions.

Don't know, very excited to find out!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Is there any way to filter on "invite to court?" I need some better diplomats but I just keep getting "will not accept."

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Zeron posted:

I believe they purposefully nerfed this. It's supposed to be near impossible to invite someone without a hook. Since courtiers leave the court and become wanderers after a few years, you are supposed to just get a steady flow of people over time and not be able to pick and choose (without effort).

Claimants should naturally gravitate to realms nearby their target and leave to the next one if the ruler isn't able/willing to press their claim too.

This makes sense, but I'll miss it. It was probably overpowered, but I enjoyed getting to choose the fresh blood in the story.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Davincie posted:

the game defaulting to non ironman and no warning before starting a game is very annoying

Yeah, I just discovered this when I realized I hadn't gotten any achievements. Sucks.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Little display bug when looking at battles you're not involved in: the game associates the left side with you anyway. I'm not the aggressor here; both sides are actually my vassals.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

The child of the countess and her what?!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

So, if you go digging in the tenets for religion reform, there is one called "Natural Primitivism". The stat effect of it isn't that interesting, just a bit less stress generated, but it also makes everyone following that religion go nude.

Is there any religion in the base game that actually has this, or is it just another joke from Paradox?

Mine has it now!

This is an ironman game, so I was biting my nails waiting for that last bit of piety to come through (it took 5075 to get all those changes, and that's after the -50% from Learning > Theologian > Prophet). My entire council converted... except my marshal, who's making this all funnier by :nws: holding his sword and glaring at the others. :nws:

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Is there a good plan or smart order for taking England/Scotland/Wales from Ireland, or is it just "when you see something that looks like an opening, pounce and hope?"

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's pretty much this, but it can also be useful to get an alliance with one king to take on the other. Scotland + Ireland is strong enough to take on England, or ally with England and eat Scotland first.

OK, cool. I had a couple short-lived leaders followed by a leader inept at martial (but great at piety!) so I've had Ireland for ages but have not expanded.

Of course, now I'm unsure how to ally with them when I'm a whole new faith, Scotland's king is my old faith and England's queen is a Lollard.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Tetramin posted:

I asked this once already, but is there a way to filter the character finder for people open to coming to your court? when you press C, there isn’t a filter and the only way to see their opininion is by right clicking on each individual person. Really stupid, why get rid of the icon in their portrait from 2

I asked, too, and no, there isn't. The reason seems to be that there's basically no situation in which someone will be open to coming to your court but won't already be on your radar: you generally need a hook to get them to show up unless they decide to do so on their own.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Has anyone in this thread experienced frequent crashing? I can't play for more than 10 minutes before I see my other monitors flicker and turn light gray and then the game crashes. Still happens even if I disable my other monitors and play on a single one. My system is easily powerful enough to play the game.

I haven't had a single crash, but I have noticed that the game draws power like nobody's business: I had to rearrange what was on battery backup for my UPS, because otherwise a few minutes of playing CK3 would cause the UPS to alert for overdraw.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The first thing on the checklist was selecting a Court Physician, I picked the most expensive option and then I also made her my concubine. Then uh apparently my other children were also super ill for some reason and when I did the safe treatment the first one got mutilated, and when I didn't punish the physician for that the next one died :stare:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Meanwhile because of all the dead kids my heir was now a Lazy Paranoid Wrathful 13-year-old granddaughter. I was thinking, OK this will be a caretaker reign, just slowly build up the diplomacy to get everyone squared away, then maybe I can focus on learning to get the innovation requirement for feudalism out of the way. Unfortunately I took Ill... and then whoops I never fired that court physician. She leveled up after the other kid died so maybe the safe treatment will actually be fine --

I am now playing as a Lazy Paranoid Wrathful 13-year-old

:stoked:

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I don't know if this is just CPU abuse on CK3's part or what, but the left is my UPS under normal load, the right is a peak during CK3 (that is, the UPS started beeping its alarm and I checked the load; no other game causes that to happen).

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Xerophyte posted:

486W is quite a lot but not off the chart for a computer if you have some high-wattage Radeon or an X080 Ti. Do you know what your computer's PSU is rated for? For practical solutions to the problem: if vsync is off, change it to on so the GPU doesn't torch itself pointlessly running at 200 FPS.

FWIW, high end consumer CPUs peak at like 130W, high end GPUs peak at about 280W. Add hard drives, networking and general motherboard things then multiply by whatever the power loss is in the PSU for total consumption.

PSU is 750, GPU is a 1080 (not Ti), vsync is on. So nothing too wild.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Blorange posted:

Check if you're running ultra low latency mode in the Nvidia control panel, you don't need it for CK3 and it'll run up the power usage like mad.

*Edit* Might have been thinking fast Vsync, it's the setting that runs your GPU over your refresh rate to minimize latency.

Doesn't look like I'm running either.

Stux posted:

thats not really particularly out of line, assuming you have a cpu that matches up to the 1080 then it could easily peak up that high or higher turboing up before it settles back down, and theres def situations in the game which kick the cpu up into a pretty high load momentarily like raising your armies spread out over your realm etc

This is probably it (CPU is a 9700K). It's not constant, roughly between one and five times a session, so it probably does correlate with poo poo Going Down, and I just haven't noticed because I'm too busy being startled by the UPS beeping.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Xerophyte posted:

Anyhow, I don't think a peak of 486W at the socket is worrying. You're probably looking at around 400W after losses, which is well within spec for the PSU and about what your components might reasonably top out at. I can see not wanting to average that much over any length of time, but in this case it's probably just that the game is new and well-optimized so it can in fact momentarily tax your system.

Yeah, I'm not worried, I'm just annoyed every time the alert happens, especially when it's like 10:30 PM. Thanks!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Seljuk empire is way too strong, pls nerf. Especially because every time I zoom out and see them stretching from Tobruk to Mogadishu to Minggam to the Urals, I hear Bill Wurtz in my head singing "it's the Seljuk turks."

Broken Cog posted:

Is Gout a permanent affliction?

My physician cured mine on the third try.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Here's an achievement I wasn't sure I'd ever get, let alone in my first real game.

After a point, I was running out the clock to get the "last until 1453" achievement. So gold, prestige, etc. were all accumulating and not really being spent. Sweden and Denmark splintered somehow in the early 1400s, and I got a request to vassalize a petty queen, which was unexpected but, yeah, sure, I guess I am rich and famous. Then another. OK. Then two more. Then it snowballed; people everywhere, stretching across to the Byzantine/Seljuk border and down into Nubia, wanted me to be their emperor/empress, to the point that I eventually just had the dialog options to form seven new kingdoms. I don't know if this is a bug or not (I assume it is, tbh; that's a lot of people inexplicably eager for vassalization), but it was wild to watch.

So I waited a few years so that everything would hopefully be intact through the end of the game, hired mercs, conquered two more kingdoms (I considered using Wales and England, but screw that, I actually fought for those, I wasn't going to do that unless I was almost out of time), then divvied the nine new kingdoms among my dynasty. That step was actually quite a pain in the rear end, and I was paranoid I was doing it wrong so I kept rechecking who was getting what, but after that it was just a matter of granting them all independence.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I feel silly asking this, but is there a magic button or a specific place in the county that you have to right-click for a siege to happen? It seems like I can't consistently make them work. In particular, I just marched my 2000-strong army all over Ruthenia, clicking on the province and the little circle where the settlement is, showing up and waiting, and no siege ever started, except when an allied army of 1200 went and sieged someplace I'd already been and when I went back I was allowed to join them.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Apparently it only works for independent rulers. If a king's vassal conquers some poo poo at the other side of the map, it won't break apart.

This can't be working as intended.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

I hate the drunk visual effect. Why does a character immediately go into late stage alcoholism? It just makes characters everywhere look super ugly.

It's not conveyed well, and I also dislike the effect, but I do get the impression that acquiring "drunkard" is supposed to imply "late-stage alcoholism" more than "everybody drinks but you drink extra": you're officially drinking so much that it's a primary obstacle interfering with your life.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Which makes it really funny when a 16 year old immediately gets it as they go into adulthood.

When you're a 16-year-old who's been tutored by your parent's devious spymaster, seen your first betrothed die of mysterious causes, seen your second betrothed fall into a pond and get eaten by carp, and seen your third betrothed die of the plague, you've had a lot to drink about.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

also due to being raided I'm hostile against the raiders for the next 892 years or so.

This happened to me the other night; it went away after a little while.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Sydin posted:

:same: As much as I like to embrace a certain level of craziness, I cannot remember the last time I had an heir who's parentage wasn't disputed, or a spouse that didn't cheat on me at some point. It's so ubiquitous that all the fun has been drained out of it.

I can only speak for myself, but reforming my religion to accept adultery and allow multiple spouses, or concubines, or even having Polyamory as a tenet, has meant I never see these events. So it's possible the event doesn't fire (and, as a result, parentages stay stable) if the game doesn't consider "exposing adultery" as a problem in your religion; I'm not sure what combination of religious tenets/doctrines is required, or if just moving adultery to "accepted" is enough.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Digital Osmosis posted:

nick_the_blood_motherfather

mods, please

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

The pope can literally buy every single mercenary company in the game, and does. He floats 100k+ gold on the regular. If you can beat the pope, you have "won" the game because youre now unstoppable.

I have no idea how I'd get enough gold to do this (without cheating it in), but I'm curious if the Pope just folds over and dies if you buy every single mercenary company available and then declare war on him.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Taear posted:

I just don't know how this is possible. At least the way I play (starting as a tribal and building up) is so SO much loving harder now and you can lose a whole game because of a faction or something.

I'm not exactly running wild in my own games, but the players/streamers I pay attention to are in agreement that the game is so easy it's almost a problem, because it's hard for them to find ways to make "just a game of CK3" interesting and they have to do either off-the-wall or clearly suboptimal stuff.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

Unlike everyone else here, I'll advise you to just inherit as the objectively worse character, because it's much more gratifying.

I think I agree. The current ease of breeding in and maintaining the good genetic traits makes playing as an endless run of near-flawless geniuses feel samey or even unfun. You may well have a better time working around the heir's inadequacies while playing "you may be a better king, but we'll never know, because I'm the king," especially if you lean into the roleplaying.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Love making my own heresy. Hate coming up with names for my heresies. I wish there was a random-name option or something. Or just a list of good names somewhere that the game doesn't already use.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Trevor Hale posted:

I had a run of nude people late in the game that werent adamites. One was a lunatic, but I couldn’t figure out why his family was naked too.

If the liege is a lunatic, they can ban clothes for other people.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Or just let you do it in the succession tab before you die. The succession rules should be a guideline basically, and breaking them should piss off your children and vassals something fierce, and they should start firing claimant factions against you and your heir when he takes over.

Yeah, I like this. Don't take it so far as to let us do primogeniture when we're in confederate partition or anything, but let us say "no, if the heir is getting two counties, it's going to be these two, and lovely second child is getting the worst one." Then on succession, give everyone a pressed claim on what they should have had, and a fresh "wrong liege" opinion malus to vassals.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Wrr posted:

Hey just had a thought. . . . should I NOT be creating every empire title can I can? If I only had one empire title, would that prevent my realm from getting crazy divided upon succession and thus make me not have to send my 10,000 terrible sons to their deaths?

If you have Confederate Partition, those terrible sons will make the empire titles themselves. Otherwise, yes, this usually works.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

wooooo

Probably going to take a break from Ironman, that took forever and so much effort.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

jerman999 posted:

I miss honorary titles from CK2 and hope they make a return at some point.

There's at least one mod that re-adds them: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2232609362

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

What are some good far eastern starts? I'm bored with Europe and not ready for Africa again, I kinda want to do interesting stuff on the other end of the map and then maybe get wrecked by Mongols.