Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

man, just watched all of twin peaks back-to-back, it’s such a goddamn ride.

high on the experience I thought I’d give fire walk with me a shot and, well, NOPE

Kernel Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

shoeberto posted:

FWWM is essential viewing and ya hosed up big time if you didn't watch it before s3.

I mean, yeah, it’s canon and it necessary to understand everything that happens in season 3 but it’s just not a very good movie. pacing feels weird, casting feels weird, atmosphere feels weird, and not lynch-weird, just “off”.

Bowie’s cool though.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

fart simpson posted:

i thought it was a good movie. now what?

*i sigh as i unsheathe my katana*

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
he rage quit twin peaks as well

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
George Lucas wanted him to direct empire strikes back and he noped out of it hard

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

rotor posted:

iirc the story was that he made twin peaks for a single season assuming it wouldn't be picked up again but it was such a huge hit the network showered him with enough money to make a second and then third but he'd packaged things up so well that the followup story was ... contrived.

yeah, that’s my understanding as well but then they went and forced them to out Laura’s killer one third through season 2 and that pissed him off to no end. he wanted the killer to _never_ be revealed.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioKyxGkBRro

circling back to lynch-chat

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

rotor posted:

i read some of those wheel of time books and found them immensely tedious

it’s been 20 years since i read them but isn’t it around book 4 where they destroy i-cant-believe-it’s-not-sauron and then in book five it turns out it was a fake i-cant-believe-it’s-not-sauron

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that's the first book lol

lol. wheel of time is the family guy of fantasy.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

bump_fn posted:

holy crap l’ois

I’m sure this is a fantastic pun but it’s been too long since I read the books to be able to decipher it

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

indigi posted:

whoa what’s Sappho juice I want some

*taps thread title sign*

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

Chris Knight posted:

12/22/21 my doge

lol, nice date format you got there

not!!!

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

NoneMoreNegative posted:

how much Cera should we expect in your new film, mr Lynch..?

I could watch that eyebrow work all day long

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

FMguru posted:

jesuit + linguistic drift = gesserit

je suis benne

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
what are some good, lesser known short stories? I’ve forgotten how to read books but short stories seem to work well.

last I read was the island by peter watts, which I enjoyed.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
network execs: thank you for coming in. tell us about this project of yours, this ‘wheel of time’

george, smugly: it’s a show… about nothing!

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
half way through the foundation series and it’s pretty pretty pretty pretty good. I really want to see a spin-off with the three emperors all being played by larry david.

curb your empire

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
my ten year old is a audio book fiend and so far together we’ve plowed through the hobbit, the entire lord of the rings trilogy and however the gently caress many Harry Potter books there are.

i kind of want to introduce him to discworld, but I’m a bit worried it’ll go over his head. thinking about starting with guards, guards. should I just start with color of magic?

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

rotor posted:

WoT series is so far exactly like the book inasmuch as it spends forever doing nothing.

at long last, jerry seinfelds dream of a show about nothing is coming to fruition

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
watched maniac on Netflix, it was a pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good. i’d describe it as philip k dick lite? jonah hill actually has range and alternate realities were fun to watch.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
i read it when I was 13 and thought it was a real page turner. the sequels were wheel of time levels of terrible

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

Jonny 290 posted:

its christmas which means its time for me to lay on the couch with a buzz and watch all the star wars movies

just finished a new hope, now its empire strikes back (the best one) time

same, but lotr extended edition.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
back in the 90s europe got all the movies 6 months later than the us. my dad was a av gear junkie and bought a lot of grey import dvds, among them the matrix.

i went into it completely blind, thinking it was some kind of b-level hacking thriller since those were in vogue back then, and well, lol.

that was my matrix story, thanks for listening.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
https://twitter.com/DuganAmanda/status/1480256820669304839

this garmonbozia is making me thirsty

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
crossposting from the tweet thread because the plebs there are unaware of s03e08

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

Shaggar posted:

i bounced off wheel of time real hard after like 2 or 3 episodes. it was soooo borrringgg

ah, staying true to the source material, I see

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
getting big being john malkovich vibes from this

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
idgi

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
recommend me some good graphic novels yospos. ive read most of alan moores and a few of moebius.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
thanks for the tips yospos, checking it out! :tipshat:

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
lmao just read through all the discovery posts and kept saying “it can’t be that dumb, you must be explaining it wrong” despite having seen all episodes

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
saru was a fun character

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

TOOT BOOT posted:

My favorite thing about TCM is that it's not really super gory or bloody but you come away with the impression that it was

the spastic convulsions when the guy got brained with a sledgehammer still haunt me

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

Jonny 290 posted:

threw on kiki's delivery service (f off its miyazaki). it's so pretty. all the hand drawn everything. a billion hours

e to be clear ive seen almost all of his several times, but some i have not hit up yet

the fun thing about kiki is that all the locales are based on stockholm. miyazaki went to sweden to discuss a possible pippi longstocking movie that never materialized, and brought back a ton of sketches of stockholm.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
wow, the latest black mirror season was incredibly bland and boring. feels like a different show than previous seasons.

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
the astronauts idea was kind of cool but you could tell within 10 minutes how it was going to play out.

oh, and a loving werewolf?!

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
i went in with my expectations set to high, I thought oppenheimer was a 2/5 at best. technically very good and good performances but the script tried to cram a trilogy’s worth of content in three hours.

everything after the bomb went of was a big snooze fest too, scouring of the shire-rear end ending

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

8523_2 posted:

the empire runs on duncan*

*Until 8:30pm

ok, I’ve been wondering for a while now - what is this a reference to?

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

haveblue posted:

in the later dune sequels, set in a future space empire, the character “duncan idaho” gets cloned, a lot, and they come in handy for stuff

this dovetails nicely with the dunkin donuts slogan, “america runs on dunkin”

:kiss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
star wars is for children and should be treated as such