Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Kitchner posted:

It's amazing how much painting I've not done despite the fact I can barely leave the house.

I sit in the place I paint very often but only to watch painting tutorials or play video games, or think about doing those things.

Little actual painting.

JackMann posted:

Even if you're not, I still want to see your hams!

I'll be magnetising the bases and thus re packaging my tyranid army soon so will take the opportunity for a family photo!

In the meanwhile if the OP needs flawless 'eavy metal level steroid eyeballs or terrain conversation starters, you got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
What even was the joke? I tried to look but couldn't find it.

But gently caress catering to people who get death-threat mad at the devs who make something that adds tons of value to their hobby, for FREE because someone tweeted something.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Yeah to be honest I wouldn't mind going back to paper lists, I already decided I'd print mine off for the next game (albeit from BS), as well as scanning stratagem from the codex. Constantly scrolling around on the phone is such a pain.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I remember the start collecting box for nids being praised for its value and the fact everything in the box is good rules wise, though I saw on the 8th edition goon hammer article genestealers aren't in a great place atm.

That said, nothing in the box is shoot so maybe forget that or supplement it with a carnifex that you can make into the ultra shooty type, quad devourers shooting 24 shots per turn. Also the humble termagant blob, again equipped with devourers and delivered via trygon into the enemies soft bits, makes for some fun amounts of dice to roll.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Black base rims are the best.

Objectively untrue, anything not on bleached bone drybrush of sand and goblin green rim is unfinished and not canon.

I finally converted a green rim skeptic today during a game in my kitchen (due to only being allowed a single visitor its the first 1v1 game played of 9th and went much smoother as a result). My little dudes just blend so well into the play area!

I'll put up some pics in a bit.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

I'll put up some pics in a bit.

It was really nice to have a game that went relatively smoothly. Usually we do 2v2 games because there are 4 of us that regularly play but only space for one board, but a 1v1 game is so much simpler and faster. Next time we might well get to play the fabled turn 4. As it is the game ended after turn 3, 6-4 to my nids vs my friends Death Guard. Plenty of stopping to check stuff but we know each time there will be less of that.

The only thing I think I need to sit and watch a video on is how different terrain works in different situations. I'm not clear for instance if there is a termagant at the bottom of that 1.5" - 2" deep trench, he cant physically really be seen by a Death Guard standing above him a short distance away (maybe a small part of his back/head). However as the feature is not 3" tall can he still be targetted? Is there a hit penalty or bonus to armour save? We found it a bit confusing.

Also look how well green bases blend with a board! Even if it's not all green grass. I convinced my friend to paint his rims green and will work on the others. Goblin green rims are the light and the truth.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I like painted base rims on display pieces but anything I actually plan to play with I just leave bare because there's no varnish in the world strong enough to protect it from regular handling.

Honestly I have never seen much chipping on my bases , especially since I started spray varnishing them. Maybe since starting using an airbrush for it I noticed paint can rub off easier if it was applied very thin, but this is true for any part of the model before varnishing. To be honest I think most people pick up models not by the rim anyway, and its the easiest part to fix, so it doesn't bother me.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 27, 2020

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

holy crap, that's a nice playing surface

Thanks! Making it kept me sane the first few months of lockdown.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

How the hell do people even transport their armies around now that every list runs like 3+ units that are like the size of a small infant. Especially people who fly to tournaments and stuff, I would be so insanely nervous about them just getting demolished.

I got wise to the magic of magnets finally (advised long ago by a fellow nid player in the old thread) and started adding them to the bases of my monsters. I got a roll of adhesive steel tape and adhesive magnet tape from amazon. Magnet strip on the base, steel on the cheap plastic box. Ofc a metal box would also work but I didn't have one to hand.

Has the bonus that all my magnetised weapon limbs and heads can go on the sides like a big trophy room.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
This video?

https://youtu.be/nuMyKSP13Pg

It was discussed in my local gaming group and most people were satisfied with the conclusion that not much has gone up.

However I think he glosses over the fact that kits that people need to buy the multiples of for a functional and/or good army have gone up more. Like the example he gives of the Death Guard squad getting a massive hike is compounded by the fact a DG player will probably want a good few boxes to fill out their army. And it still sticks in my craw that Tyranid hive guard, the tip top meta unit for Tyranids, is 55 euro per 3 models (buy 4 to compete).

Also the army size creep that's been going on for several editions (I know it's taking a backward step in 9th). A more interesting conclusion would have been comparing costs of an entire 1k/2k point army then and now imo.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Speaking of codexes, do people know or suspect when the Chaos codex will drop for 9th? I wasn't sure what to advise a friend who asked me about it, if they should wait or not. I presume it won't be that long as Chaos is probably the second most loved faction after SM.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

xtothez posted:

Meanwhile my Vertigus set arrived so I'm going back to laying pipes.

I saw a great tutorial on rust effects done on these pipes! I think the guy used to do the vallejo pigment tutorials, he says in the comments.

https://youtu.be/DBdTO8jR6Fs

Basically he applies pigments to a layer of thinned matt cote varnish (the thinner keeps it soft), applies masking fluid over rusty spots, then puts down the base colours. Then after removing the masking he reactivated the pigments trapped in the soft varnish with more varnish creating some beautiful streaks.

I tried it out on some barrels but I hosed up by using an enamel paint as a base coat without realising it, so pulling off the masking pulled off everything down to the primer. I'm gonna try again on my sector mechanics terrain when I finally get round to cracking that Renegade box in the boot of my car

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Nah the spiky nature of the chain makes me think dark eldar is closer to the money, or whatever replaced the fantasy version of bdsm elves in AoS

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Funzo posted:

I had so many of those metal Steel Legion troopers. I think I still have an old metal Carnifex and Hive Tyrant around here somewhere too.

I have the 3rd edition metal carnifex and tyrant that I had converted with old dragon wings all floating around in pieces in my bits boxes.

Also 2 of the old metal tyrant guard which were probably my least favourite models I ever bought. Just so drat ugly. I had an idea to cut one up to repose it to resemble the newer hive/tyrant guard, but I got as far as sawing the leg joins before deciding all the effort would be better saved painting the 3rd edition models that are, actually good: raveners biovores and zoanthropes.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Randalor posted:

So I picked up an Imperial Knight kit today, and just taking a quick look at the instructions it looks like the arms are meant to be removeable by default so I can swap out the weapons to make different Imperial Knight variants without needed to rely on putting magnets in the limbs. Am I interpreting the instruction manual correctly, and should I still put magnets in the torso and arms anyways just to help support the arms and reduce the risk of breaking the plastic?

I'm making my first knight at the moment and while I think it's true the whole arm can be detached because it just clips on, you only get 1 arm/elbow piece per side, so you'd still need a magnet join at the wrist to be able to swap weapons

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Maybe it's a skill you can improve in but any time I tried using a hot pokey bit instead if a drill on warhammer plastic I wish I hadn't.

It melts so fast it can easily warp or break will leave the surface around it all hosed up. Just use some patience and a drill.

Though if it's just for mounting sub assemblies it's probably fine

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Don't make references the yanks don't get ye mad hard c words!

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Caution about mad robot minis! I ordered some of their steel legion lookalikes (also gas mask related) and they are not quite the same scale as 40k. Looks like 28mm but not heroic so heads and limbs are smaller/skinnier than 40k humans, looks a little odd side by side.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

abravemoose posted:

The discussion was a few pages back, but paint your rims the color that looks coolest.

Finished some poxwalkers.

I'm sorry but goblin green rims and bleached bone sand with some small tufts of green grass is the only accepted, official way to base citadel miniatures. Just look at any box art from the last 4 decades.

Sorry about your illegal models

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Come play Kill Team m'lords

Just 1 squad worth of minis required per ~1hr game, you can spend ages painting or customizing each one

Also while the rules diverged completely from big 40k now, I find the game has a much more interesting flow once you get over the initial learning curve (outcomes are still very swingy depending on dice rolls, but you are constantly making decisions compared to all the downtime in 40k)

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I was kinda ok with there not being female space marines as a normal in the official lore because I feel like they plus Sisters lean heavily on the medieval monastic order tropes which were always segregated. Also, personality wise in the lore at they and the SoB are almost always these monk like unsexed robots for duty more or less. By which I mean, I'm not sure how would you even write an interesting female marine that would be any different from a male one.

They should have introduced the concept with Primaris though, was no reason not to really

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 21, 2022

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Also, a lot of the boxes that look like starter sets for kill team are actually "narrative expansions" ie, dont come with a core rule book, tokens, barricades or other measuring doodads you need to play. Nachmund and Chalath for example.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Warhammer 40k Age of the Emperor, where the universe splits away from the stale old lore that has become less profitable and reformed into distinct marketable spheres.

Each space marine chapter gets a different home sphere and new powers, space wolves become 18 foot tall werewolves wielding wolf weapons (made of wolves) and blood angels become sentient blood elementals . Chaos, tyranids and the other bad guys get crammed into a single sphere but may try to escape or get their own based on how much you fans want them ;).

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Cooked Auto posted:

I don't think the jokes about AoSing 40k were ever funny. :v:

It's ok, its happening with 30k instead

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Yes, and I think lorewise it was noticed early on that hitting the monsters with a sword worked better than shooting them with lasers or nukes for some reason, so no serious future soldier will be seen without something to hit guys with.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Is this the right place to complain about how fiddly and annoying some newer kits are to make? I am doing the Voidscarred corsair kill team at the moment. I thought the tau grenadier who has a grenade attached by two fingertips was the easiest broken model I'd ever build. But some of these pieces are just ridiculous.

The tiny daggers for the rogue guy are not only thin as hell but also modelled with melty holes like swiss cheese... the dagger is so delicate it almost broke just taking it from the sprue, I had to coat it with superglue to harden it because I bent/stressed it trying to remove the flash, even using tweezers. It annoys me because I intend to play games with these models, so I can pretty much guarantee such bits will break and get lost eventually. The sniper and others have tiny dangling pouches all over that are so easy to break off as well, but less important than the weapons...

Another issue is the monopose rifle arm sets all come in 3 pieces rather than 2 which takes so much more patience and precision to stick them together even close to flush... and the sprue and instructions themselves are laid out in a really poo poo manner compared to what I remember older kits being like.

The whole experience just brings back memories of first trying the hobby as a kid and brimming with frustration, struggling as arms slide out of place or glue sets at the wrong angles. The models do look great and all and I assume the sprue layout is cos a computer said so but jesus they could do with some more consideration for the humans trying to build and play with these models.

I bought a gang of ironhead squats to give necromunda a try, they'll be next after the corsairs. I hope what I heard is true and necromunda stuff is a more chill experience to build.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 1, 2022

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Double post sorry

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Spanish Manlove posted:

One of those little daggers broke off in the middle when I was building it, and I had to glue it back in. No one is the wiser and couldn't tell i had to surgically patch it.

Curious how you managed that, if you mean you fixed the blade. I was thinking if I broke it I would just cut the hand off at the wrist and find another sword hand somewhere for it, because I thought there was no chance I could fix the blade itself if it broke (was proud of thinking to cover it in superglue to prevent the break even if it clogged some detail).

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

The loving bird it comes with broke 3 times over when I clipped it off the sprue.

The thing that upsets me about newer kits is it is super non obvious which parts go with what. Things also aren't always next to other parts that you'd think they'd be. You actually need to read the instructions to avoid stuff just not fitting.

I have gotten the bird off the sprue ok but trimming the flash off it was nerve wracking. I like that they put a sprue connection right at the front top of its head, the most prominent place to end up with a nice big patch of scuffed detail on this otherwise super cool piece.

One more annoying thing with the kill teams in general is it's super easy to put together an illegal configuration just following the instructions. Most people will instinctively make all the special operatives and fill the rest with normal guys, but with Corsairs especially if you do that you'll end up with 3 gunners when you can only take 1, and miss out completely on a special close combat guy because he's misprinted in the instructions as a regular warrior configuration.

Thanks to a helpful reddit post I avoided thise pitfalls, and on the good side, I think I'm finally getting the hang of cloning pieces with blue stuff and milliput when needs be for magnetizing options!

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Floppychop posted:

Any tricks for cloning using blue stuff and milliput? I have an arm I'm trying to clone and I've been having issues getting a clean enough copy.

When making the mold push the piece in firmly and then gently push the edges of the blue stuff in around the sides a little but not enough to lap over. Then when putting on the top blue stuff push it down on the piece firmly but in both cases stop mushing the blue stuff around asap and just let it cool after the initial push down... it hardens quite quickly against the cool plastic so you will only be smushing your details around.

Dusting talc in the mold before adding the milliput helps pop the piece out later even if it's really snug, and then I put the closed mold under a heavy stack of paperback books for 24 hours (I heard 3 or 4 is enough). I specify paperback because the stack conforms to the irregular shape of the top of my molds and applies pressure more evenly in my head at least.

Also using the minimum amount of milliput possible seems to have been the biggest difference for me, using too much milliput means the sides won't close fully and you'll get a monster moldline.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Kitchner posted:

The grimdark is 100% going to be them committing like genocide because an AI told them to destroy a planet's atmosphere based on data it was given 300 years ago and took that long to come up with an answer.

I think they could lean into the 'I have no mouth and I must scream" / Paranoia angle. Supposedly the biological LoV are all clone groups, sometimes imprinted with personalities of past Votann or past AIs. Rebellion in such a society, where AIs control not only life and death but also every electron moving between your ears, could be as minor a thing as "having your own personality" and punishment can be as harsh as "spending eternity in an actual real hell."

Improbable Lobster posted:

If I ever get an Votann models they'll be all Ironkin probably

This is what I want to do for my ironhead prospectors! One bio guy leading and the rest ironkin. Where I had to use a regular face, I'm gonna paint it as a metallic death mask type deal.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I dunno why but I dont love the new riders as much as I thought I would. Maybe it's the bdsm horse mask and armour. Or the poses seems kinda weird too.

I'll take 5 boxes

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Siivola posted:

The horse looks like it's just jumped over a big obstacle but there's all of two sandbags on the base.

Yeah I dont know if part of it is the horse is leaping/charging, while the rider is just chilling with his lance up.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

AndyElusive posted:

JFC please stop complaining about stupid loving poo poo for once guys, the new Rough Riders look dope af.

If you complain about me complaining I'm gonna complain. Consider this your only warning.

Also the cheese grater horse mask looks bad. Fight me.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I wonder if the weird mantis feet were originally to make them easier to get out of moulds, like a Space Marine's flared greaves.

e: I thought Krieg death riders were a thing in earlier editions where such things mattered but apparently not

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 17, 2022

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
It'd be kinda disappointing if they make the first series all cgi spectacle about guys in power armour, I feel like regular humans fighting and scheming with each other and a guy in power armour first revealed in like episode 8 and loving poo poo up on a massive scale would be the big perfect big moment/turn for that season

So Eisenhorn or Gaunt, not Valdor (for now)

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

My Spirit Otter posted:

Yea dude, you think witcher actually had all those monsters and fantasy towns irl???

Hmm yes 10 hours of Witcher level character CGI, applied evenly across all 100,000 Space Marines in the Heresy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PuTPWgod3s

Good enough, ship it!

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

EdsTeioh posted:

Of course THIS was the episode that my wife actually watched with me after me going on about how much I liked it and "you would too; it's sorta Game of Thrones-y"

I actually really enjoyed the series overall but I still remember thinking this dragon was a bit too ps2 cutscene, they'd have been much better off trying to hide it a bit more in darkness/tight angles/whatever than play it as a big "wow" reveal in this day and age, post GoT.

It doesnt look so bad on my phone screen but on a big tv, it was lame. Accepting the Witcher as a successor to Xena/Conan helped, it's gonna have a certain amount of effects or turns that are just corny/laughable. But that doesnt belong in a 40k/30k series imo. Everything will have to be good. So I hope the do a story that's not marine focused first.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 17, 2022

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Pfft looks like someone is a fake fan. Canonically there were 100,000 marines involved, so if every single one of them aren't on screen at the same time, Henry Cavill will walk because they aren't being true to the lore. Idiot.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Gf said this guy is too white, what do I do?? That’s my chapter scheme. Not sure what I can do to break up the whiteness, aside from highlights and shading

I know its extra, but that is begging for panel lining. Do a gloss varnish and get some tamiya panel lining fluid if you can, or try an oil wash. Both are like magic the way they get sucked into the recesses and can be wiped away if you go over the lines and well worth it.

You can do the same with an acrylic wash and a steady hand and tons of patience to fix mistakes, but honestly I wish I tried the enamel panel liners or oil washing sooner.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Why a gloss varnish? And what color panel liner would you recommend, brown?

Gloss varnish is to protect the base coats and encourage the wash to run into the recesses only. I would even give it 2 coats of varnish because I found that my base coats rubbed off too easy during the cleanup phase: but that was extremely thin base coats I put on with an airbrush, so ymmv. Some people say you dont need to varnish at all, but I sure did.

Panel liners are actually enamel washes afaik... but the cleanup is the same as oil washes, you want some cotton buds/small wedges of kitchen paper and odourless thinners, and a very gentle touch.

Don't worry about the shininess, you can hit it with a matte or satin varnish after. As Kitchner said I'd probably go with the black panel liner for the white as it will give you a nice black/grey gradient. FWIW, because you can clean it up afterwards, it's very hard to apply too much. You can mostly clean it out of anywhere you go too hard, or push it t around to where it needs to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
ITD crew checking in, I finished base colours and started varnishing before oil washing it later, but first it's going to the start of a necromunda campaign tonight.

I have no idea how I would have done it in 3 nights though even if I went at it like a full time job. Well done to you!