Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

the best thing about breadtube is that it's allowed me to manually force the algorithm to recommend me good videos, by watching things recommended by the Breadtube "community". I still get alt- right and edgelord poo poo (mostly from watching mp4 dog meme videos! who knew???) but it's considerably better then it used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah, chess is this weird thing. It gained all this huge cultural prominence because it was a complicated game where you can have really advanced tactics, and somehow this turned into an idea that chess was just a great way to demonstrate overall tactical thinking ability. So this entire infrastructure started to build around it with global ranking systems, and being a chess grandmaster was seen as shorthand for being a genius. Child chess prodigies (like Bobby Fisher) were put in the same category as Einstein. But in the end chess is just a game in the same way League of Legends is just a game, and being really good at it is cool but doesn't really carry over into any other aspect of your life. (Except potentially permanently loving you up if you start believing your own press.)

It's interesting to compare IBM's Deep Blue publicity stunt with the Watson publicity stunt. There were a lot of similar kinds of slight-of-hand, "we're not saying that this is closer to general Artificial Intelligence than it really is, but we'll gladly let the media speculate about it" moments.

with chess being a top-tier esports (can I echo that it is legitimately refreshing after years of over-the-top GAMER stuff like League and Dota?) I would really love to see an in-depth rise and fall of Bobby Fischer video.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-c8o_Cphn8

the shift in appearance from his channel to his vlog literally made me gasp. guy isn't well at all.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LzKPfMcIvA

A very real video wrt audience expectation/demand and creative drive, courtesy of a man who stopped uploading on youtube consistently years ago and has had people hounding him about making tf2 content ever since

even as someone who never watched his content, this is a stark reminder of what it's like on the other side of the abusive parasocial relationship. no one deserves that.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

Yeah my main point is the big boy critical consensus tends to lionize shows about white dudes doing crimes and I personally find that so exhausting. I'm not going to defend the original tweet at all.

that's a pretty normal take, but people get weird about their faves, man.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Chad Jihad posted:

A dapper guy who reviews various garbage super cheap alcohols. The gimmick is he's an unemployed sommelier so the reviews are in that style (though they lean much more into jokey territory)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX6mpxuYig8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq7EDDm9cJI

Came here to post this thanks to the wonders of the algorithm. He's hilarious and I've been binging his videos like what he drinks

https://youtu.be/U3r3m2a7hTI

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Really enjoyed this video on historic fake flower making techniques from a fashion historian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTWsDC24IIw

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

this is not a shock if you've been paying attention to his videos. His bad taste has been actively documented

E: I think he's hilarious but lmao at his taste

He's got great taste :confused:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

For all content creators who want more viewers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej0Kijd4_4Q

I've always avoided this guys videos because, well, animated avatars of the creator usually complain about feminism. It's a pretty good video though. I've noticed a few meme clip videos I watched have creators who spam the community poo poo.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

Hey all. A few weeks ago I finished my video on the future of Qanon in which I interviewed a cult deprogrammer about the movement. I was very proud of the finished product and was happily surprised it didn't brigaded by believers.

That is, until today. Don't know who posted it where but I've had to delete a bunch of comments the last 24 hours. Stuff I expected - I don't know what I'm talking about, deprogramming someone is worse than letting them be in a cult, that I (or the deprogrammer) have been paid off, etc. I've been deleting comments like that, but is it the right way to go? What do you all recommend?

thanks for reminding me about your video so I can save it

I don't think you have any obligations to try to argue or fight to deprogram people, because well gestures broadly. I see no reason to keep those kinds of comments around, but also don't think you need to worry about deleting them out.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I just found out Jontron's real name is Jonathan Aryan Jafari. Holy poo poo.

he's Iranian right? It's a funny coincidence but not that surprising.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

Outright opposition vs. dishonest goalpost-moving is a very thin line...

https://twitter.com/Wilson__Valdez/status/1354150316447559680?s=20

never seen someone be so correct in 2 separate tweets

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Sarcopenia posted:

Anywaaays.
A new Timbah.On.Toast. This time it's about... Skrillex?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hLlVVKRwk0

I've always had a cursory interest in dubstep, and this documentary is absolutely fascinating. it's a nice deep dive and is making me pull out my old Burial.....mp3s? yeah sure.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Jamie Faith posted:

Your post said guy tho, not dude? Unless youre referring to a different post.

Altho, dude is also considered gendered by most people too. I mean it kinda depends. In California, it's not considered gendered. I'm a girl and I don't mind being called dude by friends. It's kind of a case by case basis I guess lol

as a chicagoan, remembering that I need to be careful about my "yous guys" is very hard

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Admittedly my cooking skills are pretty basic, but wouldn't using Mountain Dew on top of stuffing it with lemons and limes just be an overpowering amount of citrus?

yes, and I am baffled by the decision of a 3 day marinade :catstare:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

seeing wayneradiotv reminded me I'm due for a rewatch of my favorite video by them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWtArkwBtMs

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Roth posted:

Thinking about that SMG post about the ultimate prank in 300 is that it tricks conservatives into rooting for babykilling fascists and liberals into rooting for a imperialist invasion.

"tricks"?

I have questions.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Roth posted:

SMG was primarily poking fun at conservatives thinking that the Spartans are awesome, as well as liberals acting like the Persian Empire is a good alternative to Sparta despite the fact that they're, you know, invading another people.

pretty much:

Ghostlight posted:

liberals love to invade another people though???

Jamie Faith posted:

I mean you don't really need to "trick" conservatives to root for baby killing fascists. They already do that by themselves. See the Trump cult.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Alaois posted:

there are new videos by Mandalore and Civvie today and you motherfuckers are still talking about Peter Coffin somehow

I was leery of Civvie at first because I was afraid he was one of those "play a game/ watch a movie/ read a book I hated in order to make a really pissy youtube video" types, but so glad I gave him a shot. His passion for boomer shooters got me to reinstall Painkiller.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Grunch Worldflower posted:

Higher level accounting courses, more than anything, convinced me that value is arbitrary, money is just a number on a computer and the economy is a hologram.

Even in my accounting 101 course, some of the valuations my teacher is mentioning are so loving insane.

Like accounting for value of "goodwill". Insane.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Archer666 posted:

https://www.freshbooks.com/hub/accounting/calculate-goodwill

It's the intangible part of a business' worth. Doesn't seem that insane to me, tbh :shrug:

I fully understand, it's just telling that the common example for brand goodwill is a brand like Coke. How do you measure the "goodwill" for the brand of a specialty hot air balloon manufacturer? It's mostly guesswork and opinion.

Which is fine, but you can't have that and then pretend that the financial arts are mathematic and objective.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 6, 2021

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFP-wGwG7MI
Kurtis talks about Twitch streamer "DrWitnesser" who got banned for hate speech after he would go into random Fortnite games and tell kids that they were going to hell unless they become Christians.

having disturbing flashbacks to the Gamespot OffTopic forum I frequented as a kid, where amongst the daily "whats better rap or rock??" threads, there were constant Christian ministry threads created by a regular rotation of weirdos trying to convert the heathens to Christianity.

the guy who created them was an older man who would recruit kids into a secret subforum to teach them bible lessons and evangelize correctly. I shudder to think what other kinds of weird poo poo was going on.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

iirc, Nintendo's blind spot with online integration is because they don't hire in, they train up existing staff. So their practical knowledge is non-existent compared to other devs that have twenty-odd years of playing with such system inside and out.

Which, let's be honest, works incredibly well to cultivate the nontangible feeling that you are playing a "Nintendo" game. There is a distinct culture that they've built, and it is truly unique.

On the whole, I can't say I really care about online features from Nintendo, given how strong their single player experiences are consistently. Perhaps there is an argument for carefully outsourcing their online features, but I would be really sad if they lost their corporate culture. It's bad enough that microtransaction-y DLC is beginning to sneak in.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONCA5ByrQe4

this man has the most cursed food opinions

he likes the poptart corners :psyduck:

The fact that he eats all these awful items and gives himself hiccups was just :allears:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Which baffles me because the first fuckin' season had Big Gay Al, who was portrayed as a nice friendly dude who everyone in town loved.

but then you go to the wiki and

quote:

he boys, however, didn't like their new Scouts Leader, and rallied to get Al back, and Gloria Allred and others forced the Scouts to re-accept him. He rejected this, saying he knows the Scout leaders are still good men, and since the scouts are a private club, they should have the right to exclude people if they choose to, just as he has the right to express himself as a gay man.

:waycool:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

I liked Tony in the first movie but by Civil war when he was putting his friends into ocean jail he was just the worst guy and its unfortunate Infinity War took the story in a 'paranoid reactionary tonty stark was 100% right about the threat from outer space now he gets to die a hero after saving literally half of all life in the universe' imo.

It's shocking how right wing the Disney Marvel movies are. Even more shocking when they dress up that stuff with surface level woke stuff.

e. maybe not right wing, and just "American"? which, well, same thing.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Archer666 posted:

To be fair, those plot beats were taken bit by bit from the Civil War comic book. It was written before RDJ Tony Stark when Iron Man wasn't really popular or had much personality aside from "Rich alcoholic with a iron suit". So the right wing/Libertarian bend was already baked into the product before Disney got it.

Sure, I just wish they didn't then try to paper over them with thin surface level woke-ism. that's just disney.txt though.

BFC posted:

As a representation of Tony's paranoia and tendency to overcorrect, the murder drones are fine storytelling.

But firstly, the drones must have been made after Thanos happened, and secondly they were connected to a huge spying database with commands at the ready to assassinate anyone the user considered a threat; They're literally Project Insight II.

Tony might've intended to make a suit of armor around the world but he also did not trust anyone but him and his. That's actually p cool story telling if the writers recognize that's villainous af.

yeah, watching that one Avengers movie with Capt. Americas getting angsty about that stuff was good for a minute, but it barely paid off. Instead it was incredibly "both sides".

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

This was one of the things that annoyed me a whole lot as well, "Duh world like overpopulated and poo poo so I'm gonna dust snap some people" is so much more lame and crappy than the pretty baller "I want Lady Death to notice me, so I'm going megadeath on the world" original/real motivation.

Wait, so the lazy utilitarian argument was added? :psyduck:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Can't believe the suits at Disney thought "he did it cuz he wanted a big titty goth gf" wouldn't resonate.

it'd make those beige-rear end movies more interesting for sure. can't have that.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Kunster posted:

Last weekend you could easily sap all your lifeforce from witnessing the discussion behind Vision talking about grief. Jesus Christ I can easily, easily picture a Sarah Z video on like the reaction to that line and the sheer backlash to the reaction of that line, like, a few years down the line to the point I almost felt bad for capestuff enjoyers.

At risk of ruining the thread... what happened?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Dias posted:

I like how me jokingly describing mobsters as cool white criminals got us here. Like, not even kidding, that's not the worst derail to have.

It's hard to tell it's a joke when that's the predominant discourse whenever Scorsese makes a critique :(

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

I went back and watched this:

And now I'm wondering what was so offputting about it? I'm guessing the fact that the recipe seemed to mostly be crab meat and egg. Maybe it could've been better with some butter plus salt and paprika for flavoring?

I can't imagine fishy, eggy, oatmeal texture is a super great combo. really wet mushed up crab is nasty as hell.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

slowly realizing that HP a series is bad, and always was, is one of the worst parts of growing up. it was utterly captivating to me as a child.

looking back, I still do appreciate the very anglo whimsy of the first few books, but it's incredibly obvious that all of those elements were directly lifted from better stories.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Dias posted:

That's where you get Rita Skeeter and a taste of JK's transphobia after all.

I'm scared to ask what the first sign was

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Well she wrote about rapist centaurs which are probably an allegory for something.

oh god, that whole segment was horrifying. really bothered me as a teenager reading it.

Rowling really has something against overweight people, doesn't she?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

What I’m gathering from this is TS is awful but his fans are very devoted. Reminds me of the destiny stuff going on right now

it is at this point that I must ask you to touch some grass

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

flatluigi posted:

again, like, this is what people are calling "homophobic rhetoric"

dude said he's been watching harry styles perform a bunch in his own time and really enjoys it, and he can see himself having a relationship with him, but then he goes 'god it's weird that i'm thinking this given how straight i am'

like, dude's talking about himself and his feelings about things he's doing in his own time. i'm gay and i genuinely can't read anything homophobic in this if i tried (which i did, because i had to double check something wasn't going entirely over my head here)

it's almost like people are taking the "gay-baiting" critique that you see so often about shows (usually just the fans shipping actors together and getting mad it doesn't happen)....but applied to a real living person.

I mean the tweet is annoying as gently caress for sure.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

Civvie is sure flattered by RWS putting him in the game and he sure loves this drat series but holy poo poo the game is just dire and its references wither into cringe like immediately

was Postal ever good? I genuinely don't get why Civvie features the game so much....even the shooting on the old games looks very bad.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

This all reminds me of this marrow-draining tweet video that was going around a month ago about how far in advance Marvel will pre-make the fight scenes in its movies

https://mobile.twitter.com/EntInsider/status/1356104824106979328

And god it's like Rooster Teeth's [Monty Fight Scene Here] but across a whole span of hyper-optimized summer blockbusters.

Explains why that airport fight scene in Civil War was just unbelievably terrible and plastic looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

dmboogie posted:

isnt 'super straights' just some bullshit people on 4chan made up for the express purpose of getting people mad

giving it attention seems counterproductive

TS seems to go after really low-hanging fruit pretty often. I don't think I'm online enough for this.