Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I see nobody mentioned Dominic Noble , in his own words a mildly sarcastic British man with expressive eyebrows who reviews books and books' adaptations. He seems like a very cool guy. After JKR went full terf he uploaded the video saying trans rights, Rowling is a shithead and that he won't be reviewing anything HP related. He always calls out misogyny, depictions of sexual assault and cultural appropriation/whitewashing whenever that's relevant. And he has a lovely cat called Sir Terry Pratchett

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

YggiDee posted:

Sideways previously did a whole video about Les Miserables, if you want another essay about the ways Tom Hooper is Bad at Music, and specifically why his whole 'singing filmed live' idea is terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ikqU6G6Xgs

edit: Film Critic Hulk wrote a fascinating article about Tom Hooper's cinematography back in 2013 but it's in ALL CAPS and I refuse to link it on principle.

I don't know much about music but when I heard Jackman announce with glee that he wasn't drinking water, I cringed so hard

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Jamie Faith posted:

Yeah the sad thing is with spoony's site offline, the only to find alot of his old stuff is fan uploads of em. Usually with Russian subtitles. (I guess Channel Awesome was popular in Russia?)

I once came across a bum review dubbed in Russian, that was kinda neat.
I don't know how popular they were in a grand scheme of things but on Polish YT there used to be a lot of channels dedicated to translating foreign internet people (before community subtitles were an option, ofc). That's how I started watching TGWTG, Kids React and other stuff like that (I was 12-13 at the time and didn't know English well enough to understand Doug's screeching).
They're probably mostly dead nowadays and only serve as a vault of long-deleted videos.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Libluini posted:

Kind of frustrating, makes you wish we could just finally end this 200+ language bullshit and just put them all into a blender to make one, global language everyone can understand.

Understandable but I think languages are cool, so you're wrong.

There were some attempts at doing that though, weren't there. Like esperanto, which was a complete failure

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Ghostlight posted:

Anyone who says Esperanto was a complete failure needs to watch Inkubo (Incubus), a 1966 horror movie scripted entirely in Esperanto with nobody on set who could actually speak it, starring William Shatner.

lol, I stand corrected

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Obviously the only correct spelling is ˌdaɪ.əˈdʒet.ɪk

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

mycot posted:

In an area that most people in this thread are probably more familiar with, there was also the recent case of the Taiwanese indie game Devotion basically getting annihilated off the internet due to complaints from mysterious parties.

Mysterious parties? They were just concerned gamers!

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I've read some Sherlock Holmes short stories for the first time recently and my takeaway is that Holmes x Watson is my otp now

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

DeafNote posted:

I am 100 % certain that this true no matter what Sherlock material one consumes.

I know, but back when Sherlock was airing I was a dumb kid annoyed by the shippers so the joke's on me now

And re: hp chat, I am unable to look at these books objectively now because they were such a huge part of my childhood. Like, I know there are a lot of things that don't make sense in hindsight, and a lot of bad writing, simplistic world-building and all that. But I liked to come back to them from time to time. Well, until last year

macabresca fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 9, 2021

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
My sad Kotor 2 story is that I decided to play it unmodded first because I was curious how unfinished it really was. When I got to the final cut-scene, something glitched and the entire conversation started automatically skipping, and I had no way of stopping that, the only way for me to make sense of what was happening was reading mc's dialogue lines. After the cut-scene was over I managed to look into the log but it didn't save the entire cut-scene because it was too long. And on top of that the sound glitched as well, so that cut-scene, final cinematic and credits were all silent. Only thing I heard was a sad trombone noise in my head :(

I have yet to play the game with the restored content mod but I still can't get to do it, especially since there were some bits that I found really tedious to get through, even before the final planet

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Re: Polanski, the apologism is even worse in Poland. A while ago a film school that Polanski is an absolvent of invited him for a meeting, and a lot of students protested. The school director's answer was basically "How dare you believe in these old and false accusations, this place is free from politics, what do you know about true art anyway, you stupid stupid brats" (I may be misremembering something, but I'm pretty sure that was the sentiment). Or you get film news websites or critics asking if "Hollywood is finally ready to forgive Polanski" whenever his movies come out, as if that was the problem (although tbf, I've seen these sorts of headlines concerning other directors, like Mel Gibson for example) or calling him enfant terrible.

It's the same thing with John Paul II, lol. Like, some people here get freaking rabid whenever you mention that some "great Poles" maybe weren't the greatest

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Fil5000 posted:

These people like to forget that Polanski pled guilty and therefore IS guilty and he ran away before sentencing. It's not a false accusation, he's a sex offender.

I checked and he didn't call the allegations false, but "ambiguous and complex", and said that "he doesn't feel that he has any right to make a moral assessment on Polanski's life" on the basis of "shaky media reports". Here's the entire statement in English if you're interested https://www.filmschool.lodz.pl/en/news/1585,oswiadczenie-rektora-ws-wizyty-romana-polanskiego.html

Libluini posted:

Well, did Polanski at least get pelted with trash while visiting the school?

The meeting was cancelled, fortunately

Coincidentally there have been some allegations of abuse in this school. 'Nuff said, this guy is not the rector anymore

macabresca fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 9, 2021

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I always play on easy because otherwise I lose, scream, curl up on the floor, mope for 2 hours and then play something else

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Macaluso posted:

Imagine playing The Sims or Cities Skylines and earning the money legit lmao

That's me. The Sims is the only game where I go hardcore

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Endorph posted:

everyone gets mad at the wall video but the worst thing walker ever did is the sailor moon video he did where, in order

1) talked about how much he wanted to gently caress the cast of sailor moon
2) 'wow they're 14!?'
3) 'the legal age in japan is 13 so its fine!'
4) 'actually, the men who designed these characters must have wanted men to gently caress them'
5) 'also this show sucks except if you want to gently caress them'

Funnily enough, I've heard about Sailor Moon for the first time from his videos and haven't watched the show till now, so for the long time my opinion was basically what he claimed in his reviews

Also, apart from all the above, iirc in the review he was trying to understand why Sailor Moon was so popular and because he didn't bother to watch more than 5 episodes or do any sort of research, he decided that the show had a genius formula which was just repeated over and over again and apparently that was enough. What an absolute clown

But Doug Walker still seems to think that all anime is like the shows that were on TV when he was a kid, so I don't know what I expected

macabresca fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 14, 2021

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Super Eyepatch Wolf posted on twitter his story about a new pc and it quickly turned into existential horror

https://twitter.com/EyePatchWolf/status/1382355450050580486

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

:laffo:

But tbh making Miranda survive long enough for her to tell tim to gently caress off was almost worth putting up with her bs

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Captain Fargle posted:

This got posted ages back but I just got done watching it and wanted to signal boost it. An extremely comprehensive and thoughtful look at a lot of subjects that are very important and personal to me. Cannot recommend it enough and thank you Sarcopenia for introducing me to it.

seconding this. I should watch more of her stuff, two videos I've seen were v good

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I finished hbomb's video, at first I was a bit put off by skits and length and all that but after 15-20 minutes it starts getting really good. It's just an engrossing unraveling of a massive con which gets more and more ridiculous and disturbing with each layer

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Now I know where does :negative: come from!

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Don't remember if this got posted but Eyepatch Wolf talks talks about his favourite things summer 2021 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvhrGQM4YlI

He mentions i.a. Hazel's video about Elfen Lied, Alex Moukala Music, Shaun's video about Hiroshima and Nagasaki and WoolieVs's Guilty Gear videos and some anime and games (including Disco Elysium!)

He also talks about Kentaro Miura passing away and that there are some people who say they'll never read Berserk now because it won't be finished so there's no point?? What is this insanity :confused:

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

MonsieurChoc posted:

The various Il etait une fois/Once Upon a Time cartoons played a lot on francophone tv around the world. There's one in space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN2wLbNYnHI

I remember one about history. It was where I heard that organ music for the first time (it's Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor but of course I had to check that because I only remember it as the organ music)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8BrjvOs-eA

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

fun hater posted:

my boyfriend loves watching this guy's stuff and i watch a few of them too and like them a lot. but i really love the ones about the unbelievably hosed up car he's trying to fix up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6OKgREcHFM

My mom used to have a Fiat 126p, lol. What a car. Definitely will give it a watch

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Yo, new version of One Piece rap just dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j1lXgrrOmk

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Oxxidation posted:

one of the main sources of nfts' staying power has been their incomprehensibility to anyone who's not part of the crypto cult, so a detailed and understandable breakdown of what they are and why they suck is a big deal

tbh I watched this whole video and still don't understand a thing but maybe I'm just a hopeless case

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

RareAcumen posted:

No they're built stupid on purpose. If you tell people that the hot new money laundering scam is to waste 60 hospitals electricity usage a week to construct a link to an ugly picture for people ( a consolidated group of like ~20 people or even less) to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on then it sounds like a cult.

Star Man posted:

If you've ever known anyone that got pulled into a pyramid scheme and tried to also get you involved, then you have a pretty good idea of what people involved with crypto are like. They're going to get rich one day, they just have to sucker recruit enough people into it while they pay more and more money to the people that recruited them to come out ahead at all, and so on. Except they'll never get rich because they weren't the ones that created the scam in the first place.

That's actually pretty helpful, thanks. And these things might've even been said in the video, I guess it's just easier for me to process text than speech.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Wolf of Wall Street but monkey pictures instead of stocks.

I'll keep that in mind for whenever I watch Wolf of Wall Street :shobon:

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Youth Decay posted:

Karolina Zebrowska made a video about what she's going through in Poland with the Ukraine situation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGzFbzZI2TU

That's been my experience as well. Then my grandfather died and me and my family were so preoccupied with that, that whenever I left home I thought "oh right, the war". So yeah, what a week

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCWjSOSWiUw

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I literally know nothing about Homestuck other than the Undertale guy was involved in it? inspired by it?

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
But isn't Homestuck a webcomic or something? Why does it have a soundtrack?

Oh. Oh wow, looks like the most internet thing ever

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Speaking of weird technological differences between countries, for the longest time I didn't know that electric dryers exist. I've seen them in the sims games for the first time and I was very confused, it's like a washing machine? but for drying clothes?? I later learned that people in the US actually use them and boy, was my mind blown

And to contribute to the kettle discussion, I think an eating culture has a big impact on the usefulness of the kettle. I only drink tea once a day with supper and I don't spend a lot of time in the kitchen then, so a dedicated water boiling device which signals that it's done boiling is handy

macabresca fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 30, 2022

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Its weird that you guys don't. What do you during the winter or when the weather is bad? Also that means laundry must take forever to do since you have to wait for things to air dry.

I have this (only larger) installed over the bathtub. During the winter you can also hang clothes on the heater if there are too many of them, though this dryer is usually enough. We don't do the laundry very often, once a day or even once every two days to save water.

My dad lives alone and he has a regular foldable dryer, he just puts in the room. The clothes dry during the day and in the evening they're already mostly ok, unless the material is particularly heavy or it's humid outside (though it rarely is).

The only time I think an electric dryer would be useful is when I need a particular thing washed and dried almost immediately but I don't recall ever being in a situation like that

macabresca fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 30, 2022

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Terrible Opinions posted:

No the reason no kettle is because this is American tea.

None of these require boiling water.

I'm having such a culture shock now

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Recently I've seen an interpretation of this myth not so much as a story of Hades and Persephone, but rather the story of Demeter coming to terms with her daughter's death. If death is personified as male, and in Greek myths it is, then a young woman dying could be seen as being 'kidnapped' by the lord of the Underworld.

I think this is where I saw it:

But I'm not sure if I like this interpretation because Demeter eventually strikes a deal with Hades and Persephone comes back to her for some time. I don't see how a story about death taking away your loved-ones would make sense with them coming back. It fits something like Orpheus and Eurydice more, imo.

Still, Persephone plays a secondary role to Demeter in the original myth. And so does Hades, really.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Ghostlight posted:

Much like all attempts to rationalise beliefs, this selectively ignores a lot of myth. For example, Hades is not death or the god of death, he doesn't collect souls or mete out fatalities. He is god of the underground and its mineral wealth - he rules the dead simply because the dead are underground, but "rules" is inaccurate because it took a long time for the Greeks to even think of there being an 'afterlife', as classically all souls in Hades are essentially inert shades who are granted a half-life only through remembrances and human blood.

I mean, it's very plainly a 'just so' story about winter. Hades, lord of the invisible world, captures Persephone because she represents life, which visibly disappears during winter to return in spring; just as the sun disappears below the ground only to reappear the next morning. He does so at Zeus' request because of course Zeus is in charge of the world which very obviously has seasonal cycles, so it must be by his assent. I agree that, broadly, the Greek gods' characterisations reflect the nature of what they are in charge of, but Hades is not in charge of fickle death - he is only custodian of the already dead, and all he asks from them are that they stay silent and still forever.

Yeah, I feel like this tumblr post I quoted (and probably many other people) confuse Hades and Thanatos. It's actually pretty interesting how minor Thanatos is in Greek mythology compared to Hades. You'd think death is a big deal

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Yeah, iirc Hades was pretty chill all things considered, other than this one incident with Persephone. Zeus though? What an rear end in a top hat!

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

RareAcumen posted:

But I might just be forgetting more of Pocahontas than I realized, I don't remember Governor Ratcliffe having that energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhEna64S4z4

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

fun hater posted:

which bop is better: the song that gives bilbo anxiety or when there's a whip there's a way

I vote whip. Whip all the way

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1624347264691871750?s=20&t=sE8cY8gzWWYXywE4gQd3rw

Shaun on Andrew Tate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6_TOFy3k6k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Tbh I think this is just a reaction to the US being so dominant in the world, culturally and economically. When I was growing up 80-90% of media I consumed was made in the US, especially movies, TV, music etc. English is obligatory subject in schools from the first year, I even had English in kindergarten. And if you live in a small country everything about America seems so grand and glamorous and so cooool. There are many people who want to live in the US because it's just like on TV! Or e.g. we don't have Halloween here but a lot of people in my generation just started celebrating Halloween (literally culturally appropriated it) because it looks like good fun. I guess it's kind of like living in a small town and dreaming of moving to New York? Idk.

And what often comes next is a 180 turn. Man, you heard what the Americans' health care is like? Sounds terrible, how can they live like that. You know how dumb they are? Many of them are pretty ignorant of most things that happen outside of the US. It's actually so much better here than over there! And we're better people!

So I guess it's a mixture of disappointment and anger. Pretty irrational in most cases.

(of course I can't speak for all Europeans, that's just my experience and something I observed)