Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Another option, of course, is that Fairy Island is the end of Guts and Casca's adventure, and it's Isidro, Schierke, and the rest of the gang who end up taking down Griffith - not to satisfy some personal sense of revenge, but because he's bad for the world and needs removing.

The dude getting cooked from the inside out by some kid who's barely even met him while his two most personal victims ignore him to find their own happiness would be oddly poetic in its own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Vernii posted:

Seconding this. For anyone else who hasn't watched it yet, the setting for the show is some republic gets invaded by a rogue AI swarm and its solution to this existential crisis is to strip citizenship from all of its minorities and conscript them to go fight killbots like some sort of fascist Zapp Brannigan. It gets grimmer from there.

On a related note, watching it in parallel with the breaking news from India sure is something. Also, the anime adaptation is being co-directed by two of Mamoru Hosoda's apprentices, and they're doing an incredible job.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Honest Thief posted:

Im only two eps in 86 but I get the feeling there's no background for the apartheid from the platinum haired people before it happened, or maybe it's a perpetual war twist thing going on

Pretty sure that it's just the usual old story of an institutionally corrupt, racist oligarchy pretending to be a liberal democracy until an existential threat rolls along and they go 'nope, gently caress this, going to feed all the untermensch to the killer robots until they run out their factory warranty'. They drop a few hints right from episode one that the Alba were always a fair bit more equal than others.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

zegermans posted:

its best to pretend the entire Wyald volume doesn't exist

I'm still slightly baffled that they managed to make him one of the most fun characters in the musou game.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

pentyne posted:

It's a very slow burn, and from what I can remember from watching the first 1/2 of it is all about one man's revenge and a rotating cast of people who end up killed in the process of getting to know him.

Not really? His main group of companions meet up with him fairly early on and stick with him throughout pretty much the entire show (give or take the odd set of episodes where he's off doing something on his own before meeting up with them again).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

I was thinking of DBZ and One Piece are the two biggest and most defining shonen series and Luffy/goku are both weird freaks with extremely strange codes of ethics. Goku in particular happily and repeatedly lets genocidal tyrants do whatever the hell they want so they can give him a decent fight later down the road.

It's why Gon in Hunter x Hunter works as a deconstruction of the typical shonen protagonist. He's got all the same goals and drives as any other shonen protag and he ends up a creepy maniac who destroys himself

but yeah I guess Kenshin does indeed have Tanjiro beat in terms of being a dopey nice guy

The stereotypical sports/fighting/adventure shonen protagonist is a relentlessly idealistic, empathetic dweeb whose three favourite things are hard work, friendship, and (insert activity the series is based around here). Being dumb as a bag of rocks is optional but welcome. Goku and his direct imitators like Luffy and Gon intentionally twist that into something slightly weird and alien - they're a moderately popular offshoot on a long-established archetype, not the mainstream.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Voice of Labor posted:

guache the cellist sure was good. any other good animes that can be enjoyed by myself and my child?

Little Witch Academia is charming and kid-friendly.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

all the guys at my old job agreed that krillin would be the best guy to be friends with in real life followed by piccolo

Hey now, Mr. Satan is an excellent friend.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Honest Thief posted:

tanjiro works cause he's the responsible parent

Maybe for Zenitsu and Nezuko, but I always thought it was way too easy to read him and Inosuke as having a mutually-reciprocated crush. C'mon, he specifically tells the guy his face is sexy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Retromancer posted:

it seems like every fight in KNY ends with the demon telling a sob story about how they eat humans because no one loved them or whatever and Tanjiro's like "that's super sad but you still gotta die, dude."

TBH, it's kind of a shame that we don't get more heroic demons, given that one of the two main characters of the series is living proof that it's difficult but possible, and that the main villain is a total charisma-devoid rear end in a top hat who can only motivate his minions through blackmail, intimidation, and the promise of greater power. Like, there's the alchemist lady and her assistant, and that's it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Studio Wit is just that good. Give them a manga that's really good like Vinland Saga and it's the best anime of 2019.

That said, they acquired some deserved early notoriety for their productions going to poo poo whenever the episode count first entered the double digits (Seraph of the End, The Rolling Girls, and the first season of Attack on Titan), and their adaptations are often a bit direct and literal, using panels as storyboards rather than getting truly creative and mapping over parts of a manga that don't work out quite so well in animation (AOT, Vinland Saga, and Ancient Magus Bride have all had these problems). They're a solid studio, but they're not as reliably spectacular at adaptive storytelling as, say, KyoAni or UFOTable (the latter of whom had to put a lot more extra effort into making Demon Slayer a megahit than Wit did with Attack on Titan).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Josh Christ posted:

I'm begging a friend to cover bakuman on their podcast where people introduce Marvel comics writer and indie comics artist Chip Zdarsky to manga because it'd be a good way to explain how the industry works but they don't like it

TBF, there's a lot about Bakuman that's none too likeable.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Voice of Labor posted:

is evangelion actually good or is it just a meme thing?

It's a fascinating mess made by a team of astonishingly talented people. The direction alone is incredible. Give it a watch.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

net work error posted:

I think <big robot anime name> is <type of leftist politics>.

IBO is incredibly left-pessimist.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

There's a reason the sea in the Rebuild series is red from the get-go.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

oh god I forgot mappa was making chainsaw man

how the gently caress can these guys have like 5 series ongoing every season?

Horrifying work conditions, by all accounts.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im probably going to marathon the new megalobox since apparently it was a solid ride from start to finish

Relevant themes to this thread, too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

I’m surprised people here are so down on Wonder Egg. It was far and away the best show of that season for me

The ending was incredibly bad, in a way that retroactively worsened the entire experience.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I don't think we're supposed to see the Turbines as completely ideal and perfect given that (S2 spoilers) what happens to them directly foreshadows what happens to Tekkadan, only with even greater noncombatant casualties.

It doesn't matter how clever and benevolent your leader is - following them blindly without a single person willing to provide a dissenting voice is an excellent way to end up dead in a heap, and Naze making himself the most important person in his family's lives made it dangerously difficult for them to contemplate a life without him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

There's quite a few hentai mangakas that have gone mainstream, but I don't know if any of them produced something as good as Nagatoro.

Hellsing and Black Lagoon were pretty neat.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

net work error posted:

None of those shows have a giant robot why bother

ZZ Gundam is a giant robot show about a teenage boy getting hit on by an attractive, charismatic older woman who also happens to be a mass-murdering dictator.

Tomino was decades ahead of his time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

pillsburysoldier posted:

The dub of MHA makes it sound like the MLA is vaguely far right as Hawks tries to talk about it being all about "Personal Responsibility," which would be funny.

Wont be reading the manga so how is the MLA portrayed there without giving away too much?

The MLA is about people discarding notions of basic human equality and having the right to use the superpowers they were granted by the genetic lottery for personal gain and political power, so that's not far off.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It was incredibly tasteless and grimdark even by the standards of 'isekai satire by the Kakegurui mangaka', though, which was the other half of why it got torched.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Red and Black posted:

I finished Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex season 1 the other day. Was anyone else underwhelmed with the finale of the Laughing Man case? It felt like they built up the stakes incredibly high with Section 9 being shut down and the major being killed and then all that tension disappeared and everything was resolved without anything really happening. Also, is season 2 worthwhile?

Second Gig has a far, far stronger main plot than season one, and has some memorable one-off episodes as well. Definitely get on it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Reik posted:

GATE was the only explicit colonial isekai afaik. Like, major plot points include Japan figuring out how to best extract resources from the parallel world.

Outbreak Company is also explicitly about isekai colonialism, although the conclusion there is 'it's awful, and trade and cultural exchange between equals is way better'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

He retains his sense of ethics, but those ethics are also twisted into a self-serving rationalization. All the characters in Nazarick were literally built from the ground up by him and his friends in real life, and reflect all of their personalities & values - but being reclusives and outsiders even in the context of the original MMO did not make them good people. Fulfilling their fantasies in a real space has evil consequences. It's a direct challenge to escapist power fantasy.

I feel like the evil has to be in some way costly, though, or you're just going 'wow, look how unstoppably evil these people are, isn't it badass'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

Goons: what is the best anime about a robot? Bonus points for obscurity or homosexuality. TIA

Turn A Gundam is an incredible confluence of artistic talent, and the protagonist dude rocks a ballgown.

Syd Mead (of Blade Runner and Alien fame) is the mechanical designer...

... and Yoko Kanno (the lady who did the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack) is in charge of the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgYKIZa3ktQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdzyZO3fbDY

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Truga posted:

i've only seen one gundam show and it was turn a and i'm glad i chose that

The franchise has a bunch of other gems too. The original Mobile Suit Gundam, 0080, Thunderbolt (the movies), G, IBO, and Build Fighters (the original) are all very solid watches, although their tone and aesthetic varies wildly.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
There's also GRANBELM, which is a pretty fun post-Madoka show about lesbians duelling with robots.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

McKilligan posted:

I get that season 2 is supposed to be about the downfall of Tekkadan through ambition, but I wish it had been handled with a little more care. Orga feels like he's just railroaded without much agency.

Opportunities are always presented to Orga and he always jumps at them, but there's never a point where anyone puts forth an alternative. It's frustrating because there's a good half dozen characters who actually have that viewpoint, but never bring it up.

I just wish there were more times where Orga's decisions were presented as decisions, rather than just the next plot beat. A few more people saying 'woah hold up, why are we signing on to fight and die for this? Could we... not? Is that an option?'

As an aside the thing that got under my skin the most was early in season 2 when they routed ALL communication between the Earth/Mars branches through one single rear end in a top hat they just hired who they completely failed to vet.

One of the biggest problems with Tekkadan is that Orga chose to imitate Naze Turbine's leadership style, and ended up creating an organisation that was basically a giant personality cult around himself. Nobody leaves him, says no to him, or comes up with alternatives because holy poo poo he's Orga Itsuka, and that itself forces him into the cage of being the one cool, smart guy with all the ideas because he's terrified of letting all of them (but especially Mikazuki) down. The death of Biscuit and his confrontation with Mika on the train sent him and Tekkadan down a path there was no coming back from.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Iron-Blooded Orphans is an excellent, stand-alone intro to modern Gundam.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

What streaming service do I need to watch it?

I believe Crunchyroll still has it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zerilan posted:

I wasn't really a fan of IBO s2 but it was less due to Tekkadan and more to it really trying to great the one bearded commander as like this genuine noble good guy among the Gjalarhorn elite. Like iirc in the ending all the reforms and poo poo McGillis or Kudelia wanted to do in s1 are just done by him in the epilogue.]

He's not a noble good guy. He's a wise but ruthless pragmatist who crushed a rebellion in the cruellest and most brutal way possible, vilified the perpetrators as monsters and madmen, and then instituted the reforms that would prevent it from happening again while giving the credit to a photogenic but largely powerless internal reformer.

You know, the normal way that social change ends up happening.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Everyone fawning over Iron Blooded Orphans left out how one of the main characters is named Biscuit and his sisters are Cookie And Cracker. And, lol, you can tell who's evil in his family because his older brother has a normal namel.

E: Also nice touch that the map has a big hole in Australia where they dropped a colony, but points deducted for thinking Canada wouldn't be in the American bloc of influence.

A savarin is a type of syrupy cake. The older brother is wholly on-brand.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

crepeface posted:

okay end thoughts, it was nice that most characters had a nice send off and the animation was top notch (except for a few bits).

also, man, asuka always kicks rear end only to get owned at the last minute

Hey, she did pretty good in 3.0. Going berserk, ripping the enemy apart, and rescuing and redeeming the enemy pilot is basically mecha protagonist final exam material.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

give me recs for philosophical anime

but like not the big ones everyone says like GITS or lain

Try the other two from the Yoshitoshi ABe trilogy, Haibane Renmei and Texhnolyze. They're very different in tone and content, but very good in their own ways.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

plus its also way more cynical and i miss the old radical cynicism of 90s and 80s anime, where you got the sense the authors had some experience or opinions on the real world

This is kind of an odd take given how open Anno is about how his experience of the real world since EVA shaped the Rebuild series.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yeah, texhnolyze rocks. If you want to feel bad that is.

I could appreciate what Lain and Haibane Renmei were doing, but Texhnolyze was genuinely my favourite of the Yoshitoshi ABe trilogy. It had atmosphere you could cut with a knife, and the episodes on the surface were incredible. I've got a soft spot for a show with a Juno Reactor OP, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3SzOzm8lmo

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Deified Data posted:

I started the first volume of Chainsaw Man - does the dude ever become less of an incel?

'Incel' implies resentment of women. He just has rock-bottom self-esteem, and wants to be the kind of person who gets to (consensually) touch boobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's basically just a shinier update of the original. Not bad if you want huge, lavish space battles, at least.