Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Joementum posted:

holy poo poo the person he lost to....

Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Shageletic posted:

mods are heroes, i salute you, piss cop

son of thunderbeast called me weak months ago so now i have to challenge him to the death or some poo poo

i feel like the kenta cloth thing was before george floyd but i don't actually remember

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Excelzior posted:

june 8th, 2020

two weeks after Floyd

god, it feels longer ago than that. everything is happening so much.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

DoomTrainPhD posted:

The amount of white washing the US gets in public schools is always shocking to me. I blame Texas as that’s where all of the public school textbooks come from.

Was anyone else taught in school in the Nineties that the US had never lost a war? I swear this was a thing, and it just treated Korea and Vietnam as "not real wars" despite there being a draft and everything. It's my own Mandela moment, I'm still grappling with being taught something that insane.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

John Charity Spring posted:

not american and wasn't taught anything pf the kind but i encountered this as the majority view among americans on various forums i was on as a teenager. i remember vietnam was handwaved as a 'police action' not a war and also the kill/death ratio, look, how can you call that a defeat

Yeah, "police action" was the take I was given too. You know, a police action you drafted people to participate in.

Buffer posted:

how did they square that one with the common trope of confederates still being americans?

This would've been in Kentucky where the Civil War was still a sore subject, so they were very much just treated as "traitors." But then maybe a little too much lingering on the fact that the Civil War should've ended sooner since the North had all the supplies and how its generals were incompetent which, while true, seemed an odd factoid to accentuate as opposed to, "The South didn't want the North to have the right to free slaves," which was never touched appropriately upon.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

silicone thrills posted:

I completely do not understand why they couldn't just retitle the thread and amend the OP to be "lets talk about sex monster politicians"

I also found it completely hilarious that they nuked it right after I made a post that got me a ton of PMs from people saying that I did help change their mind and think about how sexual assault culture perpetuates and how pushing the topic into a containment zone is a net negative.

edit: also yes, I spilled my guts out in that thread and thinking about writing those posts again is just horrifying. It wasn't as bad as reddit where I got told I straight up deserved what happened to me / I was asking for it but it was still utter poo poo to get have people not get that like... yes this happens. It's not even that unusual, its just not allowed to be talked about in polite company. Which is why I scream about it.

I'm so sorry for what you went through, and I know completely what you mean about how you can't even talk about it which is exactly what impels you to speak on it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

we always knew all the liberals wanted was a public figure they can sufficiently ignore at their breakfasts and dinner parties

it's not about ideology, it's about deniability

The Dems themselves are doing hot potato. They know this country is doomed, it's about not being left holding the bag when it goes down but being adjacent enough to power to fundraise and keep back any leftists who might get in the way of that. Just the essence of irresponsibility.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Let he who is without sin cast the first drone.

I have no real opinion on any of this poo poo, I just wanted to make that joke.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Can some columnist write about killing their dog again, this poo poo is getting tiresome.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Josh Christ posted:

Star trek ds9 is good and I would like to live there instead of hell world

I love DS9 but I'd rather live in TNG to be honest even though it's a more boring show.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Josh Christ posted:

Wesley has absolutely narced on people for having space weed

Wesley canonically got in trouble for not narcing lol.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Wesley exists so we can appreciate Jake Sisko more.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

CountryMatters posted:

Eh, I take the complete opposite reading tbh. I am pretty sure a big chunk of the lib/dem types who get mad about people bringing up Biden's rapes never actually believed in metoo or that sexual assault was bad. They never actually thought there was anything wrong with Trump's history of sexual assault, but they knew that pretending to care was a good way to attack him, and he was on the "other team" so it was open season to throw anything they could

Now that big bad Trump is gone, they don't need any of that so they stop pretending to care. That's why they get so mad and confused when people bring up Biden being a rapist. Their initial reaction is "wtf? don't you know trump is gone? biden is OUR guy! why are you acting like you care about rape? you don't have to now, we won!", and that lack of care comes through in the way they talk even if they can't admit it out loud

I think if you brought up Joe Schmo generic rape case, they'd be horrified, and may even stop being friends with someone if they learned they were a rapist, so I'm not sure that's true. I really do think Ytlaya's right and it's just a matter of, "But then who am I supposed to vote for? What, you're telling me everyone is unworthy of my vote? Then who do I vote for?" Because there's a real ego trip involved with voting with these people, that they vote to win and "change" things, as if their vote can do that, as opposed to a matter of speech that will probably be futile but at least illustrates your values. Change doesn't come from voting, but when you convince people that's the only channel for change, then anything short of voting for someone you know could win becomes unfathomable for them.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I do not recall a single loving news story about George W Bush in June of 2009.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

The Russiagate stuff, proven beyond a reasonable doubt, that vacillates between some minor propaganda to accusations of hacked databases to outright election fraud depending on how the boomer feels.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWIqZKhNY90

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I wouldn't count on any patriot act 2 passing congress.

Why did Patriot Act 1 pass then?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Mirthless posted:

because two airliners crashed into the world trade center

Why do people think the mainstream media won't shut the gently caress up about January 6th five months later when 2000 was an actual steal and we already know DC can suppress a mob just fine last summer, they just wanted to pretend to be helpless this time around?

We're getting Patriot Act II, that's practically the only reason Biden wants to be in office, to pull this off. That and take more children to Comet Ice Cream Parlors.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Mirthless posted:

I'm sorry to ask this, but do you actually remember 9/11?

1/6 was nothing. it is nothing. the media coverage is nothing. the response is nothing.

We had around the clock media coverage on every channel that did news (and some that didn't) about 9/11 and the adjacent stories for a year

It was the covid-19 of 2001-2002

edit: something like 90% of americans were unified in outrage. we treated the anniversary of 9/11 as a national holiday with around the clock memorial events on TV for the following six years. Thousands of people died. It caused so much bipartisan unificiation that GWB became, briefly, the most popular president in American history

Of course I remember, I grew up under all that poo poo, it's why I get into a frothing rage any time anyone defends GWB. I don't think the public response to 1/6 is the same as to 9/11, but I think the media and government in general sells their wars less and less. You and I remember the showmanship that went into deliberating over bombing Iraq, and we both can compare that to our involvement in Libya and Syria which was done with not nearly the same level of theater. If Trump was less skittish about the optics of war, we'd be exchanging fire with Iran right now. It's not as much theater because Americans are desensitized from the Recession and the pandemic and all that, but it's definitely a pitch, definitely fait accompli, and it's definitely going to pass because, thanks to the "War on Terrorism," whatever the gently caress that means, the government knows it can get away with anything.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Basically PA1 just made legal the stuff the security state was already doing. They don't care what law passes or doesn't pass. It's not like they get prosecuted for anything anyway.

I mean, that's true. It's kinda like hearing all the conspiracy theories that COVID is a bioweapon because look how it's isolating and destroying the shared social space where activism could occur, but, like, that was happening already. COVID is just the excuse to accelerate all that. Same with the "sudden" lack of workers we have. We had too few workers before! You couldn't get anyone to help you in Best Buy because there's only three people not manning the register and they're all selling computers to boomers for their grandkids! We had skeleton crews before all this.

Either way, though, more and more the average citizen is going to be labeled a possible enemy combatant as opposed to an American with privileges therein because the frontier has come home, y'know.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

the liberal media is focused on 1/6 because the democrats aren't doing anything policy wise, and are running on "protecting democracy" in the midterms

Certainly, but don't be surprised when the only thing congress can agree on is spying on us more.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Mirthless posted:

like TBH I have become increasingly convinced over the years that the main aim of the Democratic party is to use the national apparatus to improve lives for people in the most populous safe blue states, and those people alone, and nothing the Biden administration has done has changed my mind on this point

Nah, they're just money laundering schemes.

Those people's lives aren't affected by anything. The average suburbanite who thought Trump was going to meaningfully affect their lives by taking away their right to vote for "not their favorite choice" is very funny.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Phone posted:

lowtax:

jeffrey:
hold my beer

For a dude who made of Ron Paul, kinda weird that Lowtax is growing the classic rear end in a top hat Libertarian unkempt beard

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

I still don't know what juneteenth is. Just appeared on Google calendars one year

It's my mom's birthday, op.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Major. Champ. Hunter.Beau. Robinette. What the gently caress is going on with these people and names?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I'll be honest, as a cat-lover with a sweet tooth, the Dems are making a pretty good push for my vote by being a party all about ice cream trips and dog-killing.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't want to say it in the QCS thread because it just would derail things, but Ytlaya, you're one of my favorite posters on this site, you just have an amazing ability to get to the heart of things that I really envy.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Yang's a funny dork but his actual policies are loving terrible and the only reason 4chan liked him was because of dumb 'wow 1000 dollars to stay at home and shitpost all day how cool' without doing any actual math about how that's literally not a livable monthly 'wage'.

Yang sucks but is also the only person I can imagine having lunch with in high school, so I can kinda understand his appeal, but at the same time, every performance he gave at the debates felt like an E3 presentation and that only got a little bit better as time went on.

Sadly, middle school me would've desperately tried to be teenage Pete Buttigieg's friend because I really thought of myself as a wonk back then, and it probably would've ended badly just as it did whenever I tried to be friends with repressed uptight nerds.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Now, watch as any attempt to primary Manchin next time around nets no support from anyone in the Oval Office.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

We always talk about sacrificing Florida for the betterment of the union, but if I may, may I nominate New York?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Lansdowne posted:

https://twitter.com/Most/status/1407715074853199874

finally, lgbtq people can watch a gay spy teach the saudi military how to carve up dissident journalists.
representation!

This is just the Shore Leave bit in Venture Brothers stretched out to be the concept for an entire series. How incredibly creatively bankrupt.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Nichael posted:

gore wouldn't have been good, but would he have done a 9/11?

9/11 probably would've happened regardless and Gore would've approved of the Iraq War regardless.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Maximo Roboto posted:

I had wanted to make a thread to ask this: what is the last Democratic president that you, the reader, would've voted for?

McGovern? Henry Wallace? FDR?

That needs more nuance because the last Dem president I voted for was, well, Obama. Wouldn't vote for him now though, probably. I dunno, maybe Dukakis even if he did suck, at least he was actually liberal. But I might be only saying that because I don't know enough about him.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Smythe posted:

when i read stuff like that i get a flash of understanding of the "no mods no masters" fundamental of libertarianism. just gently caress it. america is a lawless land, go nuts bro. thats freedom baby

Kentucky in particular is weird because sometimes you'll get cool poo poo like that there like people spraypainting "Do Drugs" over stop signs out in the rural counties and then sometimes you get some middle-aged lady shriveling into a corncob because you dared use the word "crap" around her. Land o' contrasts.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Smythe posted:

i went to a family reunion in kentucky once. that was hosed up. lots of graveyards to survey. dead smythes on both sides of the civil war lol

Yeah, nothing quite like living in a town where the confederate flag was flown at a courthouse that had been sacked confederate sympathizers during the war, lol.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomacy_of_the_American_Civil_War

possible european intervention in the war was a whole big thing, driven mostly by napoleon the third and his conquest of mexico

There's also my favorite anecdote of the war, which is near the end, Jefferson Davis went behind all the Confederate governors back to do shadow negotiations with Britain that maybe, possibly, potentially the South would give up slavery if Britain entered the war.

At the end of the day, the Civil War was about slavery, but more importantly, much like World War I, it was essentially over loving Nothing At All.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Maximo Roboto posted:

Davis would have promised that but he was never ever gonna do that, since he rejected Patrick Cleburne's proposal to free and arm the slaves

Yeah, the fact that he didn't confer with the governors before offering this I think shows how serious a proposal it was, it was very much a desperation heave, I think right when Sherman had taken New Orleans and was marching across the South.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

i ain't reading all that

i'm happy for u tho

or sorry that happened

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Bernie Sanders sounds like someone who wants us to know this isn't blood coming out of his mouth, it's victory wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

The best (worst) part of the Dems being wiped in 2022 is when the Usual Suspects make cases that, actually, the Dems didn't really lose, they picked up a random seat in Pennsylvania that'd been Republican for the past eight years, and this is clearly a win for Progressivism (towards women prison guards).