Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I always have fun with Charge Blade until I hit a monster that gives me trouble, then I feel like I'm spending way too much time in sword mode just trying to get hits in to build phials and it's not very satisfying. Maybe I should keep it as my backup weapon for farming monsters I've already figured out?

I've always loved Hunting Horn, I think I'll stick with that as my main even with the new version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I didn't play very far into MH World, but glancing at layered armor it looks like they require a lot of materials to make. Is that right or is it stuff that drops in high quantities?

Like the wiki says a set of Barroth layered armor takes this list: seems like a pain
25 muddy crown
15 Barroth chine
10 weathered crag bone
15 fierce dragon vein bone

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Alxprit posted:

So fun and dumb tip about layered armor. You don't need all those materials. Each of the pieces does not have their own requirement. Hovering over any piece of the full set will give you that list of materials, but you forge the set as a whole rather than individual pieces. So divide all those by 5 and that's the true cost of it.

Ohh, hell yea

Oxyclean posted:

I'm not following. Why do you divide by 5 if you can only craft it as a whole set? Is the cost just being incorrectly displayed?

I think you craft one "thing" and it gives you the whole set, but looking at each piece individually shows you the cost for the full set, which can give the impression that you need to spend the full set cost five times, once for each piece.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Your Computer posted:

i am STOKED to finally be playing this but i'm a little sad that they didn't address the issue of the hunting horn song list

it's completely unnecessary and takes up a bunch of screen space, and the only way to hide it is to also hide the staff and infernal melody indicator :smith:

Noooo I completely forgot about this from when I played the demo, that's a bummer.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Can you change your palamute and palico appearance after character creation?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You can scout/create new buddies later or hire random ones.

Thanks. Are they as functional as the original? In the last few games you could recruit extra palicoes but your "main palico" was fixed from the start.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

This, uh, sounds like a bad bug. Stay safe, hunters.
https://twitter.com/monsterhunter/status/1375814308806938629?s=19

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Augus posted:

I really appreciate the more convenient Forge/Upgrade Weapon menu at the blacksmith and that the armor in your inventory is neatly organized by set

It's really good, is this the first time armor and weapons have actually been organized when you go to change equipment? I don't remember it in World but it seems to make so much sense.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Aerox posted:

I didn't check the icon but I got a voice prompt where my guy yelled "IT'S WEAK! YOU CAN CAPTURE IT NOW!" so I thought that was the signal. Does he just randomly yell that sometimes for no reason?

Also wasn't dropping them, was using ZL to aim and throw. Does that not capture monsters?

Sometimes monsters heal up a bit when they run away, I think it's when they sleep but not entirely sure. It's not a lot but might be enough to get them back over the capture threshold. I usually attack them for a few seconds when I catch up just to make sure.

Also, this might not be your problem, but I didn't realize for a long time that just pressing the tranq bomb button without any direction on the stick will throw them right at your feet. Originally I was always frantic when I was ready to capture so I just was chucking them in every direction. The best way to aim them is just run right into its face, stand still and throw them right where you're standing.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Shine posted:

If you like the idea of bonking heads, but want a moveset that is less charge/leap based than Hammer, then yes, try Horn. Setting the song stuff aside, Horn's moveset is what I wanted Hammer to be. A variety of big swings from multiple angles, making it easy to aim attacks at the head.

Yeah, wielding Hunting Horn is like flipping around with a big agile warhammer. I love it. I don't know if the doubleswing after a forward pound is new or if I just never knew about it but it feels incredible.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Two things I hope get patched:

1) Ability to turn off the hunting horn song list. Right now you can only turn it off if you also turn off the note bar and infernal melody tracker. The song list takes up like 1/4 of the screen, it's really dumb.

2) Ability to change voice after character creation. Right now the option is there but you can't actually select a different voice, apparently it's for dlc voices.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

In World I feel like every single filler quest unlocked something, a canteen ingredient or other village upgrade. That doesn't seem to be the case here although I'm still on 2 stars, does that change? Not a huge deal but I do enjoy the satisfaction of Unlocking.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I think it's important to note that the last few "from-scratch" monster hunters, including world, had their Complete versions ship a few more months or a year after the base game. In Monster Hunter 4, the base game didn't even ship outside of Japan, what we got was the final release.

I would suspect/hope that Rise's final edition is DLC like Iceborne, rather than a whole second release.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

In Training posted:

By HR3 you start getting a lot of villager requests, don't worry. I like that this system is back and that they unlock entirely new weapons, it's such a fun bit of flavor. Game is full of so many fun weapon designs, polar opposite of world's aesthetic

Oh that's good, ironically those villager requests were what made me put down World and wait for Rise. I loved ticking off the ingredients boxes but wanted to be able to do it portably so I could have something on my TV in the background.

And agreed, even this early on I feel like there are more fun designs than I had after putting 20 hours or so into World.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

Ehhh. The framerate dipping isn't actually even what bothers me the most although 60 certainly wouldn't hurt it, it's the horribly cluttered UI at 720p. It's kind of amusing to me that you can click anywhere in eg this video and have probably a 50% chance of seeing a UI crime against humanity. It seems to be a relatively common complaint so maybe they'll patch it though.

The UI complaint myself and Your Computer keep having is in the first screenshot, the song list (which you virtually never need anymore) protrudes obnoxiously into your vision. You can turn it off, but only by also disabling the infernal melody meter and note bar (which are tiny and helpful to have). It needs to be a separate toggle!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Do any of the hammers actually look like hammers, or are they all more like clubs? I'm going to pick my weapon almost entirely based on aesthetics.

DeathSandwich posted:

More of them look like hammers than not, it's just that they have hammerheads bigger than your torso. They don't really do like a 10 lb sledge or anything.

Hunting Horns are closer to the sledgehammer or maul style, they just look like wild instruments too.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I haven't experienced that for the game overall, although far-away creatures have their individual framerates noticably reduced, it's most apparent with the flying little dragon things.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

mightygerm posted:

This is not how it works in Rise. Wide is now the charge shelling build as it gets 2 levels of charged with the most damage. It also has KO damage with the stake, with slugger levels you can KO monsters VERY easily. This also means you don't want to use blast dash with wide and prioritize the 2 step fast WS combo.
Normal and Long play basically the same, normal has more shells for burst and long does more WS damage and can shoot farther, but you play them more or less the same.

So if I'm understanding, normal and long should be using their shells on the slam burst, and not doing regular shelling? Or do you regular shell between pokes too?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Am I understanding gunlance correctly here:

Wide: Use charged shots
Normal: Use the slam-fullburst, and wyrmstake
Long: Also use slam-fullburst, and wyrmstake

Are you not ever supposed to use normal non-charged shots? I have a good feel for each gunlance attack but I don't really know how I'm supposed to be prioritizing them.

I also don't really get why we have wyrmstake. It's powerful, but in terms of gamefeel it's another slow chargey attack in a weapon that didn't really need one.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Augus posted:

I'm just happy I can finally quickly mass-grill steaks.

btw the biggest flaw in this series from its inception is that Well-Done steaks are considered perfectly cooked. What the gently caress. Fire whoever decided that. Medium-Rare or gtfo

My headcanon is that in this universe they're saying it's colloquially "well done", as in you did it well. I know it's not true but sometimes we lie to ourselves to help the world make sense.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Snake Maze posted:

That's pretty much right, although long can do well with charged shots too. Uncharged shots are pretty vestigial, although using them in midair to cancel a blast dash into a midair hailcutter can be useful, especially for long which has a stronger wyvern fire. Also just using a bunch in midair to ascend vertically is fun + cool, albeit not actually useful for anything beyond a 1000 IQ midair stall to dodge attacks.

Thanks! I never realized you could do that in midair, I saw it in videos but thought it was part of blast dash, which I haven't gotten yet.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Gunlance: How do you do a slam from jumping off your dog? I did it once by accident but ever since I can only do a little poke.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lynx Winters posted:

You have to fire a shell first with zR+A, then X will do the slam.

Gotcha, thanks!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is there any visual cue that infernal melody is charged? Because if so I'll just turn off weapon info entirely when I run hunting horn. There's just no reason for so much of the screen to be filled with the song list, when there are only three songs per horn and every song is just "button press, twice". It's so annoying.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The purple circular meter right by your sharpness bar is the Infernal Melody meter.

Sorry, I meant besides that meter, like how the gunlance is red and overheated when wyvern fire is on cool down. The only way to get the song list off screen means you also turn off the Infernal Melody meter, which I'd like to do

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Snake Maze posted:

It's messed up how the game forces you to stop and craft all the Almudron gear by making it look so cool.

This is me with every armor set. I'm still in 3 star village because I want to make everything.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

LuckyCat posted:

I’m struggling to understand the Weapon Tree and Weapon Upgrades. I’m using LBG. I currently am using the Wind Thief L. Bowgun I. When I try to upgrade it says I don’t have the base weapon. I guess the base weapon is Hunter’s Rifle I? So I crafted one of those, went back to the Wind Thief, selected Upgrade and paid the money, and it deposited a regular Wind Thief L. Bowgun I into my inventory :what:

For weapons, "upgrade" means "create by upgrading the previous weapon". In this case you created the Wind Thief L. Bowgun by "upgrading" the Hunters Rifle I. The next version of the Wind Thief L. Bowgun is the weapon to the right of it on the tree, which you would create or upgrade to by selecting that weapon.

The distinction is there because some weapons can be made from scratch, which uses more materials, in case you don't want to upgrade through the whole tree.

It's confusing because with armor, individual pieces are upgraded, which makes them stronger but keeps them as the same basic item. It's different.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What's a good way to get a monster to sleep. Komitsu gave me a quest to take a picture of a sleeping Arzuros, I tried tossing down some drugged meat but it wouldn't take it

I think in past games monsters won't eat drugged meat if they see you putting it down, dunno if that's the case here.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm not sure I like monster riding, it's very cool but feels kind of cheap, I just get a ton of free damage on another monster with no risk or downside? And it controls kind of gimmicky, like it should be used in special boss fights only.

From a gamefeel perspective I do think it's more engaging than previous forms of mounting, which felt like a pause in the action while I did some quicktime events.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Do broken parts get picked up even if you don't, uh, actually click A to pick them up? Not clear from the Quest Completion screen and I get too excited to chase down mons. I love to IG wirebug -> B -> wirebug -> B -> A repeat. I can fly!!

Just to be clear on terminology, if you're looking for a specific part or at drop rates, a "broken part" usually doesn't drop on the ground. If something says it's a % from a broken part, that means if you break that part during the fight, that material has that % chance to show up in your quest rewards at the end.

The shiny things that drop on the ground when you fight monsters are "dropped materials" or something like that, they have their own category on loot tables.

The exception are parts that physically detach from a monster and fall on the ground, usually tails. You have to carve those, and related materials will have a "carve tail" or whatever entry on the loot table.

In the cases of both the shiny drops and the tail carves, you do need to pick them up in the mission to get them.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Kagrenac posted:

The difference in power between a good and bad charm is absolutely massive compared to old games and some skills can only be found on talismans and don't have any decorations available.

Instead of having 1 skill and some points towards another you can have 2-3 levels in 2 of the best skills. A "decent" talisman isn't just missing some points towards crit eye, it's missing 2-3 skill levels.

Having 3 slots let you get 5 points towards a skill when you generally needed 10 and you might need to spend a slot balancing out the negative points from getting a skill via decorations. Having a lvl 3 slot now gives you an entire skill level of the best skills and you can also have a lvl 2+1 or 2 lvl 1 slots on top of that depending on how good your charms skills are.

It's also much more of a grind to get a decent talisman since normal hunts/mining don't shower you in charms like they used to. At best you can get 5 charms per quest if you constantly grind rampages and throw the tickets into the melding pot, throwing all the parts from a normal hunt into it generally won't even let you get 5 charms.

I mean that's all correct but if this is the thing players grind when they've gone through all of LR and HR then why does it matter? It's bad design but there's no reason to engage in it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I am fully hooked on this game now, last night as I was going to sleep I worked on memorizing the different follow-ups to groundpounds for hunting horn in my head.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Kagrenac posted:

My main problem is the complete reliance on melding. If you could get charms from doing whatever it would be fine, the rng is worse than ever but you could just forget about it and be pleasantly surprised when something good shows up at the end of a quest. But with them only coming from melding and melding requiring massive amounts of monster parts/rampage tickets you have to constantly engage with the system if you want to ever have anything decent.

Oh for sure. It's very poor design, I think you gotta just write it off for the sake of sanity.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Didn't they change elemental damage so it's affected by motion values, to try to make slower elemental weapons still worthwhile?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

I really hope so cus my brain loves making as many weapons as possible, and being able to make a weapon for each element is very fun.

Hogama posted:

As far as I can tell, it still doesn't take motion values into the formula for most elemental weapons. (Though I did mess up earlier since it also appears that it's a straight decimal mod for part weakness, so 40 = 0.4 multiplier.)

Huh, okay. I really wish the game would explain this stuff!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Do you get way more materials than earlier entries or am I just misremembering? I feel like I kill a monster once or twice and my pockets are overflowing with its bones and claws. Not that I'm complaining.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

ok i gotta rant about this again, why are we stuck to loving glaives with bugs, i want a bostaff with which to clonk e.g. diabolos upside the goddamn noggin

not to imply there's anything wrong with well known clonkers Hammer and Hunting Horn, but it's not my aesthetic dangit :mad:

For me I wish we had an axe that was just an axe. There are already three sword weapons, why do both axe weapons need to split their time as swords? Switch axe is most of the way there, but its transforming nature means aesthetically they're usually pretty ugly.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Are the Barroth weapons and other -affinity weapons worth making? If I understand the math correctly I think the extra raw damage they tend to have makes up for it, but I'm not sure.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ok so I tried a decent amount of switch axe (my main in world) and I just cannot get excited for it. I got the switch art that does the explosion dive which is cool. I guess you can stick the sword in monsters still. I dunno I feel like I’m missing something

I’m going back to Hammer for now but it is a bit disappointing. Next weapon I’ll try is Gunlance

I never played switch axe much before, gave it a try today and while I like it, I feel like both sword and axe mode each need one extra combo or attack type? It's a lot of doing the same few swipes over and over.

I mean it's an axe, only so much you can do with it, but hunting horn has like four different ground pounds and multiple ways to combo out of a pound, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

new kind of cat posted:

Savage axe mode with an elemental charge blade whips complete rear end. I completely ignored elements in favor of impact in Iceborne, but it’s great here. You can go into savage axe mode without a full phial gauge, just remember that the X attack charges one phial per attack and the A attack uses one phial charge, but is a double hit attack. So your ideal combo is just X A X A alternating for as long as you can get away with it. Also important to hold the attack buttons through the attack animation for that elemental buzzsaw damage.

Figuring out I didn’t need a full gauge to abuse savage axe has freed me from the need to use the defensive silkbind, so I can add some aerial SAED for flavor when I feel like it. I do admit I miss the counters , but I can live with just stacking guard skill and abusing my guard points.

Do you need to time holding the X attack so you're only holding the button while it's passing through the monster? That's how the ingame description sounds but I only get phials on every 2 or 3 buzzsaws. I can't tell if I'm pressing or releasing too early/late, or if I should just be holding the button the entire swing.