Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
I don't need to download the app if I'm savvy enough to have my preuve de vaccination pre-downloaded, right? It seems like as long as I have the PDF with the QR code in it, I can just show that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Gros Tarla posted:

It was never about apostrophes specifically, the whole signage had to be in French. And if there was ambiguity with a name and then you add an apostrophe, then it made it clear it was english. That was initially, at least. Now, all trademarks are allowed in whatever language (including apostrophes), as long as there's french signage too. So for example, Best Buy has "magasin électronique et électroménagers" or stuff like that near it.

Best Buy is a common example but it's weird to me because there's nothing about the English words to suggest they're a consumer electronics store. But a store named "Meilleur Achat" wouldn't legally need to have prominent signage describing what they sell.

Now I'm imagining stores like Vieille Marine and La Cible popping up.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

https://twitter.com/Melihoneybe/status/1440138680669065216

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Arc Hammer posted:

On an espionage charge that has seemingly been dropped almost as if it was completely made up as justification for detaining him in retaliation.

Funny that.

We already knew Michaels and frame jobs went together well.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Mon avocat mange des avocats et pêches quand il pêche.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

infernal machines posted:

lol, and also lmao.

While you're taking responsibility for the outcome of your strategic vote, have you considered the information you're using to inform your strategy, and if it's say, based on Canadian polling, how incredibly useless it is? The sites that pop up every election to "inform strategic votes" are, bar none, pure hokum. At best they're run by one party or another, trying to funnel votes, at worst they're entirely earnest and entirely useless because we don't having riding level polling here. You can't predict the way a riding is going to go from regional voter intent polls and this is the reason everyone who tries to predict seat counts has error bars miles wide and still miss them.

Toss a coin, or you know, just vote for the candidate you actually want to represent you, because at least you can make an informed moral choice.

The riding I'm in was a "three-way race" according to "polling" between the Liberals, QS, and CAQ as of a few weeks ago. Immediately after that one QS candidate was found to be stealing opposition flyers from a mailbox, the "poll" changed to be a coinflip between the QLP and CAQ. In the end the Liberals won, QS strong second, and CAQ got less than half the QLP votes.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

TheKingofSprings posted:

The only bad thing on pizza is mushrooms

This reminded me of how I found out that the pizza I know of as "Québécois" consisting of mushrooms, bacon and pepperoni, is known as "Canadian" pizza in other provinces. An extremely Québec thing to do!

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Considering it's going to be a high of -25 (-41 with wind) tomorrow in Montréal that sounds about right.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

tagesschau posted:

The ability to borrow gobs of money for essentially nothing is gone for the foreseeable future. The insanity will not stop until the speculators and the government face reality and stop trying to will an economic perpetual-motion machine into existence, but the more forcefully they try, the worse the hangover will be.

They've been keeping the plates a-spinning for well over a decade now, and neither you or I can say when exactly this madness is going to end. To quote yourself from nine years ago,

tagesschau posted:

The market can remain irrational longer than you can retain your sanity.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
drat I didn't realize Diefenbaker killed Laura Palmer

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
The only time I've cared about what's in my passport is when I've reached the utter depths of boredom on a longhaul flight and start leafing through the pages, and the memory of that only lasts until I reach my actual destination. I can't imagine actually giving a poo poo about this.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

apatheticman posted:

https://twitter.com/JuliaWongCBC/status/1656456898143453184?s=20

CanPol 2023: We need to live with the fires. They're here

Months from now you awake in a panic to your house violently seizing all around you. Somehow you can hear your phone buzzing through the cacophony and manage to grab at it and read:

EMERGENCY ALERT / ALERTE D'URGENCE
Massive 8.7 earthquake detected, residents are advised to live with it

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Aces High posted:

A friend of mine just returned from Japan, and she said they would make public announcements (presumably in the larger urban centres) as earthquakes were occurring. Like, she recorded a video of a public announcement and the shocks happening less than a minute later.

Yeah I was too optimistic, the emergency alert in Canada would arrive an hour later after half your house collapsed.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

The article posted:

Now imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth when HSR’s proponents discovered that it’s more expensive than flying.
[...]
I suspect the reason we don’t have high-speed rail in Canada is in large part because every time a report comes back and lands on a premier’s or transport minister’s desk, and they look at the numbers, even they realize they could never sell it to the Canadian electorate in the first place.

To the first point, I don't think anyone is under any illusions that HSR would naturally be cheaper than flying unless it were heavily subsidized à la the kind of trains you see in Europe. That said, trains are simply so much better than flying along the Windsor-Québec corridor: you can show up ten minutes before it leaves; no security queue; bigger seats and legroom; if you get business class from MTL to TOR it costs the same as an economy flight but you get a meal and drinks and you only spend an hour or so extra.

The second point is unfortunately true given the dire state of the electorate in this country. I did enjoy the part where they lamented how small townships along the main CN rail line might have to pay to support this new infrastructure (for an unspecified amount because they have no actual numbers or data to present), and brought up the fast ferries in BC, something I hadn't thought about in like ten years. Good to know that Canada has a history of "boondoggles" when it comes to mass transit solutions, but nothing's wrong with all the highways we have in the country -- by implication we should really be spending more of our money on them, I guess.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
What do like, Swiss chuds do? Turn the flag 45 degrees?

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

DaysBefore posted:

I emailed my city councillor once. He was very nice and got back to me right away. I guess I love voting now

My city councillor is very engaged with "community outreach" insofar as he frequently posts on the neighbourhood FB groups, though it is very funny to see how many things are completely out of his hands, since I live near a long stretch of land owned by Parks Canada in the middle of Montréal.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
In the last election I voted in, the candidate I chose won for the first time in my life. I'll take this as a sign that it's all downhill from here and I should never vote again.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Powershift posted:

When i first heard of that situation i looked up Richmound, Saskatchewan, and the town is 40% baseball diamonds for some reason.

Their population is around 140, which means they can't even form enough teams to occupy all the baseball diamonds.

As of the 2021 census they're down to only 118. Maybe the Queen is playing the long game and in twenty years she can have the whole village to herself.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

ZShakespeare posted:

Ham and mayo on wonder bread is culture.

Considering how resistant wonder bread is to mould, I'd say it's the most anti-cultural bread I know of.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Raenir Salazar posted:

Went in for blood tests and they're like, "Did you fast?" and I'm like "No? Was I supposed to?" , and they're like it says so right here. *Points to French instructions that I can't read that I thought said "yellow", like testing for Yellow Blood Cells or something.* But when I was there the last time they only said not to eat sugar for today's blood tests. Luckily I intermittently fast anyways so by accident the answer was yes but to me it isn't fasting its just what I do.

It's also where the "jeuner" in "déjeuner" comes from :eng101:

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Raenir Salazar posted:

Am I reading the Exo website correctly that there's actually no train from Vendome to Vaudrauil tomorrow during Jan 2 in the morning!?

Yes, the day after New Year's Day runs as a Sunday, so the earliest train that way is in the afternoon.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Growing up in the states, my biggest interest in Canadian television came from learning that nearly every sci-fi show I watched as a kid was shot in Vancouver/BC.

I ended up moving from the US to QC though and had to learn culture all over again. Still have no idea what Passe-Partout is all about

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Fortunately the weather for Montréal has been predicting sunny skies so I could watch it from my front balcony, though I think I'm going to cycle south to get some extra time in totality, really want to soak it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
In my part of Montréal there are just IGAs around, and I didn't realize until this conversation that they're a Sobeys joint in this province.

I think the nearest Loblaws-owned place is the third-closest pharmacy, to get to an actual grocery store of theirs I'd need to take transit instead of walking.
Not sure one of their stores has ever been the most convenient option in my near twenty years of living here in various neighbourhoods.