Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Been playing Deep Rock Galactic on my deck and God this is such an amazing portable device

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

The virtual keyboard on this thing could really use some work.

It's impressively bad, borderline non-functional

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Beyond the sloppy functionality sometimes it straight up doesn’t work. Like, in fallout 4 the backspace button doesn’t work, so combined with the laggy unresponsive presses it took me like 15 minutes of backing out completely just to name my character and log in to Bethesda.

Game runs great after that though.

It's been faster for me to just pull out a USB keyboard and a usb-A to usb-c adapter any time I need to type something

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Dramicus posted:

https://www.gamebyte.com/playstation-5-games-selling-poorly-in-japan-despite-good-console-sales/
You can also see it in every single Famitsu sales report. Every week sales are completely dominated by Switch and PS4 titles, with the occasional PS5 title making it into the list.

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/06/famitsu-sales-6-13-22-6-19-22

Of course this is just for Japan but it seems to line up with Sony's recent push to get all their big 1st party titles on Steam.

It could also be that people are mostly just playing their PS4 library on the PS5. That's my main interest in the PS5. I just want to play certain PS4 games at 60fps.

Japan accounts for less than 1/10 of global PS5 sales, Sony probably isn't making major PC port decisions based on software sales there.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

jabro posted:

Just got mine. Was at 83%. What’s the usual ship time from paying to doorstep in California?

Mine was about a week

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

HopperUK posted:

OMG no. Terraria and Stardew have both changed hugely in the last few years. Start over.

And for Terraria at least start in tmodloader with some QoL mods

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

v1ld posted:

There was an effort post recently in this very thread of a much improved desktop mode binding set, with mouse click on the triggers and other well thought through details. I cannot find it now but it would be cool if that goon reposted it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973713&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=232#post526066143

God BBS is so outdated, I wish there was a way to pin this post.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm not computer illiterate by any means (linux though, yes) but goddamn this thread scares me for when my deck will get here.

I'm very confused because I could've sworn when I wanted to move stuff onto my deck I just plugged it into the USB port on my PC and it showed up as a drive in file explorer. Maybe that was a fever dream though?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I tried to set up ps5 remote play on the deck last night but apparently the script to retrieve your PS5 account id broke like a week ago and no one's figured out how to fix it :(

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Tenkaris posted:

Path on the deck? I have like 4k hours played on PC, it's hard to imagine doing it handheld now.

Also I broke like a 3 year addiction to that game and haven't played for a year, maybe I shouldn't think about this lol

I played rf inquis mostly on the deck last league and it's pretty good. It actually runs better than it does on my PC lol. But also I found that I'd rather just play other genres that are better suited for controller.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

negativeneil posted:

Chiaki is the way, as another poster said. Beware, though, at some point you need to get your PSN user id and it's tough if you aren't comfortable running a python script on your computer.

Does it still actually work? All the tutorials I've found link to the same web script, which is broken as of a week or two ago.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

lordfrikk posted:

The Chiaki repository (https://sr.ht/~thestr4ng3r/chiaki/) mentions obtaining the PSN AccountID with https://git.sr.ht/~thestr4ng3r/chiaki/tree/HEAD/scripts/psn-account-id.py and I just tried that and it works. It's not the smoothest experience but you only have to do it once.

e: if you don't know how to use it: download the script to your computer/Deck and run it with "python psn-account-id.py" from the folder where you downloaded it. Then follow the instructions.

Heck yeah thanks, gonna try it

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The newer links posted to get my PSN id worked :toot:

Gonna play the poo poo out of all my PS5 games on this

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

loquacius posted:

I have never attempted emulation of anything more advanced than an N64 before and getting WiiU and PS2 content running on the Deck so I can play those games on my TV without having to dig the consoles out of basement storage felt really nice :unsmith:

gonna show my daughter Super Mario 3D World without having to pay $60 for Bowser's Fury, let's fuckin go

Is getting WiiU emulation setup complicated? I want my kids to be able to deck Wind Waker

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

loopsheloop posted:

Open Steam in desktop mode > Settings > Controller > Desktop configuration

Select the Scroll tile under Add Action Layer

It's not the most intuitive interface

Note that even doing this, some games just don't like it for whatever reason. I spent like two hours trying to get some simple macros working in path of exile on the deck and the game just refused to accept the inputs.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I spent way too long trying to figure out why the gently caress steam rom manager was listing some game called mahjong pretty girls battle, with some big titty anime artwork, before figuring out this is how it lists SNES tactics ogre for some reason.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
For some reason Core Keeper runs very well on deck, but gets like 10fps on my PC even though my PC isn't *that* old (it can still run basically every new release albeit not on high settings). So I appreciate the deck for that, somehow being more powerful than my desktop.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Party Boat posted:

Any recommendations for chill online co-op games that work well on the Deck? Mrs Boat and I have played a lot of Astroneer together and we're looking for something to scratch that same itch. We have two PCs in the house but my dream is to be chilling on the day bed in their study playing on deck while they game on their PC

Core Keeper. I have a server going with 5 friends and some of them just spend the entire time farming, fishing, or working on the base, while some of us go out fighting bosses and things. It's great.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

Man I'm really enjoying Octopath 2 as something to just curl up with for 30 minutes before falling asleep. The writing and voice acting is really endearing, I've only been introduced to two characters so far (Throne the assassin/thief and Temenos the hilariously condescending cleric/inquisitor) but both of their stories have been a lot of fun.

Honestly when it comes to turn-based JRPGs I think they almost all have mediocre to poo poo combat, with the exception of Persona 5. So I'd much rather have a game that keeps the combat snappy and flashy while letting the worldbuilding and storytelling take the lead.

Do you need to have played the first one?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

loquacius posted:

I'm almost done with Death Stranding and the action parts are honestly the weakest parts IMO, I'm mostly enjoying it as a post-apocalyptic infrastructure-builder sim

It's my first big game on the Steam Deck and runs great out of the box btw

Yeah by far the best part of the game was just traversing the landscape and slowly building better infrastructure. The action was just an annoying interruption to that.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Its crazy to me that Minecraft is still massively popular, and among continual new generations of kids too. One of my best friends has a three, and six year old nephew, and they are both obsessed with Minecraft. Its their entire personality.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Rolo posted:

How's Switch emulation? I have a Switch and pay for games but wouldn't mind playing MP Remastered on this now that I realized how much better the grips are.

Depends on the game, but in general it's solid. I've only played maybe an hour of MP remastered, using ryujinx, but it ran well as far as I could tell.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Ori 2 for $6

Choo Choo Charles for $12, my kid is gonna be excited about that

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Commander Keene posted:

I'm playing Terranigma, which is a game that has both 8-directional movement and double-tap dash, is it possible to have a Steam Input setting that'll map dash to the left stick?

I thought this was easy to do but was like I should verify the exact steps first, and then found out that Valve seemingly redid the entire custom control settings since I first got my Deck and it's now confusing as gently caress and I couldn't figure it out lol

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Mescal posted:

mayb you can tell me how to map left stick up then return to neutral -> hit the same key twice?

I honestly have no idea anymore, I feel like valve took what was a very easy interface for customizing controls, including adding extra inputs to other inputs or creating macros etc, and made it impetrenable as gently caress

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

How do you set up a steam deck to do PS5 remote play?

Chiaki, there are lots of instructions out there and it's fairly straightforward to set up.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Annath posted:

The PS4 controller is great.

No idea if the PS5 controller is better - I don't have one - but the PS4 one has no issues.

The PS5 one is dramatically better

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

njsykora posted:

3fps in the final minute is the authentic Vampire Survivors experience.

And if you're playing properly you shouldn't need a single fps to survive that minute

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Memnaelar posted:

True, but the days of my scouring sites to determine which places are safe to download a backup from are long behind me. I'll happily buy my own copy (I'm a big kid now who can afford that) but there's no place I trust for a backup that won't potentially do something horrible to my SD, hence why I was looking up how to rip my own... which, not surprisingly, is way too heavy in the Effort department.

It's starts with a "z" and is like the 5th result if you google "switch roms"

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Annath posted:

Don't use your electronics while making GBS threads unless you're wiping them down with antimicrobial wipes (this damages the device).

It's a great way to get poo poo germs on your device, which you will then touch *after* washing your hands.

Great way to get pinkeye.

Lmao and what, just stare at the wall like a houseplant while pooping? What is this, the dark ages?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Don't forget to close your eyes when you flush, lest you get pinkeye

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

tango alpha delta posted:

Sorry, hardware architecture is boring so I guess the designers were trying to be whimsical.

Nah, electrical bus bars have been a thing/term since the 1800s. It's short for omnibus.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

alexandriao posted:

I render to 1080p because the upscaling looks like rear end and these settings get me about 38-40 fps when plugged in, sometimes during loading it dips into the 20s, and the fog around the planet looks like rear end but ingame everything works fine and well

Make sure to bios set your gpu to 4GB, I also underclock the GPU by 20 whateverunits

Display:
Render Scale: Quality
Framerate limit: On
Framerate limit: 40 FPS

Graphics Preset: Custom
Motion Blur: 0
Depth of Field: Off
Bloom: Off
(i dont care for these post processing details anyway)
Sharpness: 0.25
Texture Quality: LOW (3GB - next step up is Medium but that'd take more GPU than the deck has)
Object Detail Quality: LOW
Render Distance: LOW
Shadow Quality: LOW (not VERY LOW)
Particle Quality: LOWEST
Reflection Quality: LOWEST
Space Quality: LOW
Ambient Occlusion: Off
Screen-space bullshit: Off
Vegetation: LOW
Terrain: LOW
Volumetric Fog: LOW
Volumetric Clouds: LOW
Lighting Quality: LOW
Anti-Aliasing: OFF (I tried it on but it uses the temporal stuff that makes everything look like rear end)
Use Async: OFF

And like, some of the loading screens look like rear end but the actual in-game still looks gorgeous:

Saving for later

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I'm like two years late on this but Rogue Legacy 2 is so good holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Shard posted:

very specific question if anyone knows the answer. I have poppy playtime chapter 1, 2 and 3 purchased. When I try to click on chapter 2 or three it doesn't open the game it brings me to the store page. Does anyone know how to fix this or how to get around it?

iirc when you launch the game, it pops up an external window asking you which chapter you want to play, so that's probably where it's falling apart in the deck interface

Rolo posted:

Oh dang they’re on chapter 3 already? Is it worth getting now? I watched a friend play the first and I thought it was neat but I found it short.

The puzzles have gotten better but the game is still *insanely* buggy, I had to download other people's saves multiple times in the first couple hours of chapter 3 because of game-breaking bugs.