Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Xaris posted:

cars are good and helps marginalized bipoc elderly, dementia patients, and disabled people get around safely. not everyone can figure out a bus timeschedule and its pretty ableist to hate cars

ok but what if cars caused them to have dementia and be disabled

ps, we should hard cap speed limits to 40. if you disagree you’re suicidal and need therapy, imo

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/new-crash-tests-show-modest-speed-increases-can-have-deadly-consequences

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 01:04 on Aug 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

of all the pie-in-the-sky posts itt (and there are a few that are truly laughably utopian - even for a diehard leftist), this one isn't that unreasonable. it basically hinges on self-driving advancing to the point of total autonomy which may seem to be a bit of a stretch right now, but not unreasonable i don't think.

lol. no.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

i'm not checking the news on self-driving vehicles daily but i have never once seen anything that suggests self-driving vehicles might be a reality anywhere but in the Bay Area on predefined routes in perfect weather conditions. it's more of a joke than the f35. has there been anything new since that was the state of affairs?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
i see your point. on the other hand, every single automaker has stopped production this year because of shortsighted profit seeking and inability to plan for the long term. as this happens, companies that bet on the wrong horse , like Toyota, are actively working to greenwash their failures so I think their hands are pretty full. my greatest doubt is that it seems unlikely we’ll have the productive capacity to build such a thing and deliver it to anyone but the richest if it ever becomes a reality.

maybe China could pull it off eventually but the streets there are a much bigger challenge. it’s just some bs for rich people to talk about like gmo babies, epic space travel, and how le rosey has fallen from its heyday.

Xaris posted:

i don't. i think we'll see infrastructure and societal slow-quick climate-change collapse before any mass self-driving car that works 99.98% of the time. also a lot of places have bad roads, very complex intersections, and jam-packed streets where you gotta be aggressive if you want to get anywhere or else you'll just be sitting at the same light watching it turn green-red for 20 minute straight without being able to go unless you just gun it; or being aggressive in getting over to take an exit in jam-packed traffic (or hope someone is nice to your fancy techy self-driving car).

sure phoenix where there's 10000 sf of asphalt per person on mega-wide 8 lane thoroughfares without any weather everywhere might, but dc/la/portland/seattle/sf/nyc/boston lol

the roads are probably going to be pretty hosed up. not sure i'd rule out the last infrastructure investment in america being some kind of non-functional autonomous driving signalization project though.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 21:01 on Aug 23, 2021

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Lastgirl posted:

"I don't like cars. They're loud, and aggressive, and irritating, and it goes everywhere."
\

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

People that steal catalytic converters should be guillotined. If you steal the catalytic converter, THEN torch the car, that's fine, you will be saved from the guillotine, though you may be subject to other consequences.

“Guillotine the downtrodden cat thieves” - C-SPAM, 2021

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I have four and can agree they are one of the worst things for the world.
. . .
I own eight bicycles though

this sounds like a problem. do you collect other things in greater number than you need?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Radirot posted:

wow you don't say! Jesus Christ youre annoying

This is the designated forum for formerly gifted children, after all

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

paul_soccer12 posted:

Abolish glass

The Dutch had the right idea with taxing windows. Linux forever

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Xaris posted:

i agree dogs should be allowed on buses and trains. that's a bad america-policy issue, not a functional inssue. the language most civilized countries, who are all cool with dogs anywhere, use is "under effective command" and some are fairly strict about making sure your dog is actually trained.

unfortunately americans are lazy disgusting slobs who just want a symbol and throw them canned pedigree every night and leave them alone and can't be trusted to have anything. not even responsibly using a spoon

the famously uncivilized Chinese, known for being lazy disgusting slobs, do not appear to allow dogs other than guide dogs.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Dante80 posted:

I hate cars. And I've got two. The reason is that I live in the center of Athens, and work in Marousi, a place about 10km away. The center of Athens has a stupid car traffic rule, where you can only use a car if the last digit of the license plate is odd on an odd day and vice versa (alternate day entrance regulation).

Presumably, the reason for it is to have less cars move around downtown etc. In reality, most families living in the center have two cars for that reason. The measure was suspended for two years now due to covid, but came back last week again.. :v:

lmao

also, i think this type of thing happened in gas shortages in some countries before. hmm

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

vyelkin posted:

this is very funny because starbucks doesn't even have good coffee and i thought the whole point of starbucks was to have a pleasant coffee shop experience, not to pick up caffeine on your way to work, but i guess carbrain emissions infect everything

for most people, the point is to have variously flavored and temperatured sugary milk drinks

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

why not make instant coffee in 30 seconds, hang around the house all morning then walk to work at your leisure

the original recipe for a frappé calls for instant coffee and was invented by leisurely Greeks who love to hang around the house, so this is the authentic experience compared to the American bastardization.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

the fact that its a beamer just tells me she was texting and driving and she has a really good attorney

what’s the deal with bmw drivers? they’re like this everywhere. i don’t even drive yet it’s so noticeable. mercedes drivers aren’t like this. audi, maybe… smh

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

500excf type r posted:

No, they are. Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, etc all driven by people that dont respect others as humans

that’s true, but there’s something extra about bmw people, like the same thing that makes people act like cokeheads while stone cold sober.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's every luxury car driver, and also minivans. Whenever I am around one I get the fear.

my experience is mostly in Europe, I think Mercedes are driven by a lot more people in Germany, and in Turkey by government officials and run of the mill rich people who aren’t all wild eyed dangerous drivers. they also make vans and are used by taxi drivers, even buses — many Istanbul city buses were Mercedes at one point. so I don’t have particular associations with them. BMW seems more like they target a similar sicko demographic in other countries, same as Audi. but idk, i can’t drive!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

im visiting my parents in Texas and their subdivision is 2.3 miles from the nearest store (its a gas station convenience store) and there are no sidewalks that go to it. there is one lovely park in the whole thing. for coffee this morning we had to drive 5 miles both ways. Way cool.

im visiting my parents in Turkey and they moved somewhere like that, which is a loving feat in a country like this. I feel like I’m in Bellevue and want to go back to Seattle. there’s nowhere to walk to, nothing to see, and nowhere out but to drive — and I don’t know how to drive. this sucks.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

actionjackson posted:

you do realize that auto insurance policies can have different levels of coverage, and that I might not have the same as you, right?

also what company are you using? what are the vehicles? how old are you? do you have other policies with the same company?

i'm fine that they know about my 85 miles/month given how much it saves me relative to my previous plan

“it’s not that bad they’re hoovering up the blood from an IV in my right arm. Hell, they used to do my left arm too, and I’m a leftie!”

it’s really sad either way and poor people tend to have longer commutes & often have more than one job they need to go to, potentially spaced very far apart.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

actionjackson posted:

has JNB ever said how he was able to move to Amsterdam? Is he there on a work visa maybe?

the Dutch are shooting each other and setting poo poo on fire because they’re possibly more antivax than Americans. they’ll probably get even more racist over time and climate. I wouldn’t bet on it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

actionjackson posted:

I don't think the antivax thing is true, according to the government site 88.5% of adults have had two doses, 84.9% have had one. Have the Dutch mandated vaccines for anyone?

https://coronadashboard.government.nl/landelijk/vaccinaties

for some reason the percent in Amsterdam is much lower (mid 70s)

don’t let the numbers get in the way of the sensation

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUx3bJY7nH0

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

I assume you are moving from downtown to the suburbs for some economic reasons, i.e. you can no longer afford to be downtown because of loss of job or whatever and not some kind of misguided self-preservation fantasy.

not sure you heard but there’s been a study showing that, like SARS OG, the virus is capable of spreading through ventilation and plumbing in shared housing.

i live in shared housing in a city and always will but right now there isn’t much appealing about city life, which is greatly diminished.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Ham Equity posted:

I had not heard that, do you have a link?

it’s pretty recent and not really conclusive but it tracks with early reports on omicron spreading in an institutional quarantine setting as well as studies on the first sars.

https://academic.oup.com/jid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/infdis/jiab598/6505230?login=false

I’m not even going to paste the abstract because you get the idea. this might be more interesting:

quote:

Our study has some limitations. First, we could not detect viable viruses from environmental samples. Second, data regarding contact and exposure history to COVID-19 may be inaccurate because of recall bias. Third, although the investigation into the effects of corridors and stairs in transmission has not been conducted, the possibility is low.

In conclusion, our study suggests that molecular phylogenetic analysis by whole-genome sequencing can be performed to investigate the transmission route. Thus, if the epidemiological evidence of transmission between SARS-CoV-2–infected patients is unclear, whole-genome analysis may help in identifying the transmission route. In addition, our study underlines the importance of appropriate environmental sampling in clarifying epidemiological links among patients.

We demonstrated that this type of aerosol transmission may lead to the persistence of an epidemic in a community. Therefore, to identify and control the modes of transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and other respiratory viruses, continuous surveillance and research on aerosol transmission is essential [19]. Moreover, traps are installed in floor drains under the Building Code, but it is necessary to check whether the traps function properly (to check whether the water seal in the trap is being maintained) to prevent transmissions. Also, in facilities vulnerable to infection clusters, such as hospitals and prisons, the structures and ventilation systems should be evaluated and monitored, considering the possibility of aerosol transmission [19, 20].

my apartment and unit are so tiny that my main concern for spread is poor masking in the narrow and unventilated hallway, which blasts a waft of air into the unit whenever I open the door.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
every day it blows my mind that

- it’s murderous to drive at speeds greater than 40 mph

- it’s suicidal at 55 mph

- this is normal

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
is there some way to dissuade carhavers from having extended conversations about car law and etiquette everywhere? or maintenance or whatever. cars inject themselves everywhere. not in this thread, like, in other places.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

i hate cars

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

$400/car is the funniest loving thing. Why not pay people more the farther they live from work? Or the lower your MPG? How about a bonus payout if you don't carpool.

WaryWarren posted:

I feel like DMV fees should be 8-16 times higher for SUV / pickup truck drivers than for beta Honda Civic drivers like me. Since that's how much more their vehicles degrade the roads.

wow can’t believe the support for means testing inside this thread :ohdear:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

lol nobody knows poo poo about gently caress

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

mystes posted:

Hilarious but actually imagine if people knew what 2022 would like like when they decided that personal cars were the future.

those fuckers would still do it. hell, they’d do it twice as much to show us woke futuristas.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Wolfy posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sepulveda_Pass_Transit_Corridor

Looks like it's on the menu but lol but that's probably what, 20 years away?

it sounds like sepultura which is a positive

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

500excf type r posted:

Yes I own two of them

your avatar and username are also based off these things. it sounds like they’re what owns you!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Horace posted:

The UK crossings, which I will list because I lived near an experimental one as a child and so learnt about them. I also enjoy the tortured nomenclature.

Zebra crossing (because it's black and white): the original. Not light controlled. Cars must stop if a pedestrian is waiting to cross.

Pelican crossing (PEdestrian LIght CONtrolled): Pushbutton traffic light type. Being phased out.

Puffin crossing (Pedestrian User Friendly INtelligent): the replacement for the Pelican, now very common in heavily traffic areas. Pushbutton controlled with sensors so the lights stay red until the pedestrians have finished crossing. Some also have sensors which cancel the pushbutton request if the pedestrian leaves without crossing.

Toucan crossing (Two Can Cross): a puffin which also has a bicycle crossing (so is wider, and has a set of lights for bikes)

Pegasus crossing (didn't even try): A pedestrian crossing but for people on horses.

gimmicky-rear end field

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Laserface posted:

at the risk of getting dogpiled I am a car enthusiast. I also dislike car-centric infrastructure. I ride an e-bike anywhere I need to go within say 10km of my house, which covers about 95% of my outings besides work. I drive to work as its not practical to ride. I would absolutely love to never have to drive except for the thrill of driving. I dont hate cars obviously but I really wish I could use it way less for boring poo poo like picking up groceries or visiting people outside of my city.

The people filming other car guys are a huge problem, as all this does is entice people do to stupid poo poo. Events I have been to have always been ruined by people showboating for the sea of cameras at the entry/exit or within the gates. id say ban cameras/photography at car meets but its 99% of the point of going.

Ideally I would like to be able to treat a car like any other recreational vehicle - I can take it to a race track and use it, then take it home again. but you still need a bigger vehicle and a trailer to transport it which just isnt feasible for me. for this reason I keep my car road legal, so that I can drive it to/from the few events I do each year where I get it out of my system.

People following road rules are certainly not the problem (though I will say I see way more bad drivers in camrys/SUVs than sports cars purely because its a numbers game and the barrier to entry is too low.) I personally found that learning how to drive manual made me way more aware of what was happening around me, and other non-enthusiasts I know have had similar experiences when they learned. If anything, my time on a racing circuit has taught me that pushing a car to the limit is absolutely terrifying because of how quickly things can go wrong in a controlled environment, let alone public roads.

Ive seen way more bald tyres/broken taillights/dirty mirrors and windows in car parks at shopping malls than I have at car meets. Actual car events where you are racing and not just parking to show off your ride wont even let you on the circuit without a heavy inspection to check your car is safe to drive well beyond tyres and brakes are OK - you need your poo poo buttoned up good to get on tracks here.

not at all defending gearheads as the vast majority of them are total fuckheads that should not be allowed to own a vehicle (which is why my interest in it is waning of late) but normal, sane people can and do exist in the car enthusiast world and we also hate car-centric society.

I think you’re onto something here: we can’t just can cars. we need to ban cameras too

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Boywhiz88 posted:

I think it's also the division between learner's permit/Driver's License at 15/16 for most people, and the need for a legal ID at 18 for whatever. I don't think I ever encountered a state ID from someone under 18.

I have a state ID because I would rather die than drive

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
a liquor store in olympia (state owned at the time) almost seized my sisters passport and called the cops when she tried to use it for ID because nobody ever tried to use a passport for ID before. and people say america isn’t exceptional.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Imagine that every drive is 2-3 times as long and you also have to pay for health insurance

you left this out

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Zerg Mans posted:

holy poo poo I just realized why my insight makes a weird windows login sound when I'm going slowly on all electric

I hate cars like yours because it sounds like a ufo or some shut and it’s much more distracting than a rumble. they should outlaw electric vehicles until they fix their noise pollution issues.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

You can get some shockingly cheap used bicycles that are good. Or a cheap new Walmart bicycle which will suck, but hey, it's a cheap bike.

Walmart bikes are fine, wealthy people just love spending money on their hobbies and they convince poorer people that cheap bikes are bad.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Just don’t buy one with stamped dropouts

I don’t even know what that means, I just hit the pedal and it goes and I don’t worry too bad if it’s stolen

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Some super lovely bikes use a piece of stamped steel inserted into the rear frame to hold the rear wheel, it's a real cheap way to make a part that can gently caress you up bad if it fails.

thanks for the tip, ill keep a lookout. I’m not very experienced. it’s way easier to bike in America than Turkey, thankfully. much saner drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

that rules