Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Paywalled, alas.

The early modern age came about in no small part because of the Black Death creating conditions for surviving laborers to have greater power to renegotiate the social contract to this will work out quite well for those left alive in climate resettlement zones, I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

no those things are really low on the food chain I only eat things higher on the food chain like cows and chickens so I'm fine

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

When the Big Die gets going too much to ignore we're gonna figure out a way to put 500 million people in arcologies in resettlement zones and make a more or less stable anthropogenic biome out of a few dozen tasty treats and call it a win and Jack ourselves off to our engenuity over the screams of megadeath.

"we" is too anodyne, the people who profited from farting this place to near uninhabitability in the first place will be doing that.

Owlbear Camus has issued a correction as of 15:38 on Nov 6, 2022

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

make them something with your own two hands, it will mean more :unsmith:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

silicone thrills posted:

I'm doing mini paintings / watercolor postcards and such for adults this year. I've finally mentally accepted that my paintings are actually desirable given my sales rate so why not.

Unironically having some of my backlog painted to a high tabletop standard would rate higher than most gifts I can think of, so I hope the people you're doing this for appreciate it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

is the earth going to be okay? I hope so it's where I keep all my stuff

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

the way this is (not) getting covered you'd think it was happening in Palestine like the west Bank, not Palestine Ohio

it's not cool when the cavalier approach of treating people as biopolitically disposable happens to americans!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Xaris posted:

lmao this seems good. the sierra nevadas have lost 30% of their trees in a decade

https://medium.com/politically-speaking/the-trees-are-dropping-like-flies-a75e6f88ceae

I like how the first graph of the article asks "is this the canary in the coal mine?" As if we are not waist deep in canaries. As if the Money Number Religion that guides our whole human enterprise isn't built on a substrate of canary corpses

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I am pleased to learn the Martha's vineyard assholes fighting off shore turbines apparently lost

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

AceClown posted:

yes but you see, it'll be protected by armed guards who definitely won't figure out that they have all the power in the relationship and take it over

I will never grow tired of the story of the consultant who was brought in to help the billionaires with their end of the world plans and they scoffed when he suggested "uh maybe be nice to them and make them feel like part of your community."

Opting instead for "maybe shock collars or a combination lock on food stores?" which just seems like buying all in on "getting tortured by your guards" futures.

I'm glad this poo poo keeps them up at night.

E: Honestly pro gamer move to the PMC guys who have secured a handsome annual retainer for a contract they may never have to exercise and if they do will give them immediate ownership of a well-appointed doomsday fortress once they murk the rich rear end in a top hat "employing" them.

Owlbear Camus has issued a correction as of 17:41 on Mar 2, 2023

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

You'd think they'd do something but alas.

that would profane the Money Number Religion, because it incurs a profit-eating cost without immediate profit reward

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Spaced God posted:

People will actually not shrug it off and say it's a good thing because the planet is overpopulated or whatever eugenic bullshit

Yeah it'll probably be this. :unsmith:

Whether or not there is "overpopulation," the people most vocal about it in my experience tend to think it's the biopolitically disposable brown folks far away who are the "over," not the suburban wasp consuming a thousand times the average daily co2 output worth of consumer bullshit of any one person on the subcontinent.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

dr sbaitso can't keep getting away with this!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i do that in cities: skylines. if they combine that with a dam they can get tons of basically free electricity

piss-powered cities.

forget green energy we're going yellow

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Mr. Sharps posted:

nobody has told me what the gently caress cybernetics has to do with it

I'm going to get cyborg skin that can sink wet bulb events and cyborg lungs that can breathe co2 and a cyborg tummy that digests microplastics crimes of the future style

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Not So Fast posted:

clearly not very well if half the posters in here are steps away from drinking kool-aid

if ur referring to the people's temple mass murder/suicide it was flavor-aid.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Xaris posted:

I actually think this is a fairly plausible scenario that we have to rapidly and gigantuously consume more energy to paper over various climate and socioeconomic failings, the contradictions of capital and failing of a planet can be bandaided by expending more energy. but it’s neither a permanent thing because we will still run out of bountiful energy and the wound still hemorrhages out

so at some point it will contract

also not for nothing the military is the biggest polluter in the world and I don't see the US quietly ceding its already declining global primacy and weaning us piggies back to only consuming our fair share without a fight.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

one thing that gives me cold comfort is the sex crime pervert wealth pharaohs worry (rightly) about what would keep their security teams from just murking them to take over their apocalypse wine cellars and tilapia farming tanks when things finally get consistently bad enough to gently caress off to their bunkers and arcologies

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

My coworker just commented on the super mild Temps were having in Wisconsin the past couple days from the hazy overcast conditions created by Canada being on fire.

Neat.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

ten degrees doesn't seem like that much, that's just the difference between a sunny day and a bit overcast.

oh, Celsius

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

everyone March hand in hand into the ocean and leave a note for the north sentinel islanders not to do agriculture

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I was really starting to get worried.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Four decades with few breaks living in WI and I don't remember "don't go outside and breathe the air because Canada is on fire" ever being a concern.

I'm sure this is all very normal and doesn't portent worse to come.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

your father and I support the jobs the comet will create

e: beaten like the biosphere has been beaten to death by petrocapitalism

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

historians from zeta reticula sifting through piles of our single use plastics

Owlbear Camus has issued a correction as of 15:50 on Aug 21, 2023

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Microplastics posted:

8:30am? I'm not getting out of bed for anything less than a mammal going extinct, sorry

there's a lot of species of frogs i'm sure these are just the indie pitchfork reader hipster frogs no one has ever heard of anyway someplace far away. i can still go down to the creek and see frogs everything is fine

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

I think a lot of posters ITT are going to be very disappointed by a long slow collapse rather than getting to experience the “freedom” of a thanos snap style collapse.

this society might drag on for decades more, long enough for you to die in boring normal American ways accelerated by personal choices to give up on life.

The Road but the last shot reveals this has just been Mortenson's character's commute to work.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

i went back to finish my undergrad at an advanced age because my brief time in the #1 world polluter us military entitles me to do so for free and it felt more fulfilling than moving numbers around in excel all day in a cubicle

anyway this semester i'm taking a required 200 level survey human geography course and peeking ahead at the syllabus one of the essays is 500-600 words make an argument for or against a policy to combat climate change using carbon pricing in the US, demonstrating that we know what an "environmental externality" is. if the policy proposal we're pitching doesn't use pricing, why is it a better proposal?

i am excited to try to fit a rant about Number and Carbon Indulgences as a ritual of the Number Religion in < 600 words without being referred to campus crisis services

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

i just realized that of my 200 level human geography class's critical writing essays, the lowest grade of the 3 for the semester is dropped.

i got a perfect score on the first two. the third one is on an alternate proposal to carbon offsets to manage emissions.

i am subjecting my professor to an unhinged screed well over the stated word count explaining the Money Number Religion, the Sacred Line, dying earth doomerism, and finally my proposal:

quote:

Given the pervasive influence of the Money Number Religion, my proposed solution is as simple as it is comprehensive and unthinkable to that faith’s acolytes. The first step is total nationalization of the fossil fuel industry. The cost of a controlling interest in the three largest oil companies is estimated at around $350 billion, a trivial amount given the ballooning Pentagon budget to fight current and future resource wars and amelioration of the symptoms of the climate catastrophe (The Hill, 2022)

The second component is what I call the “Corn King Proposal.” Drawing from almost certainly apocryphal tales of Celtic fertility rituals whereby a sacred ceremonial king is anointed in the spring, pampered over the summer, and sacrificed in the fall to ensure a good harvest (The Golden Bough 1917), the C-suite executives and boards of these companies would continue to draw their generous salaries, bonuses, and fringe benefits. However they would be made to balance their sacred fiduciary duty to the continued ascent of The Line with strict carbon reduction targets. Failure to meet targets would result in the public execution of these corporate leaders. Such executions could be turned into highly bingeworthy content for streaming services, creating another revenue source for other sects of the Line.

Owlbear Camus has issued a correction as of 05:03 on Nov 14, 2023

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Mola Yam posted:

jokes on you if your prof is unabomber 2.

he's a liberal techno-utopian who thinks we can transition to renewable and perhaps hitherto unknown technologies to fix it fast enough lol

ill post it soon phoneposting now

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

on a long enough timeline we don't really have to worry about any elements at all

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

earth is venus 2

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The Protagonist posted:

im glad the frost is permanent, phew

like the sakura blossom or the butterfly, i think there's a certain beauty in the impermanence of the frost holding back a world-ending methane megafart

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I don't like crab so as long as the swimmy fish are fine its good.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

imagine explaining to your grandkids that when the ski slopes stopped getting snow in the winter, they would run big co2 belching machines to manufacture it. so people could slide down a hill and go "whee"

only imagine it though because grandkids? in this climate collapse?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

i think the big fluxuations are nice because people prefer different temperatures. a little something for everyone.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

did you want your cooked bat bin spicy or mild?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

*lib voice*

we need to encourage carbon offsets because the antarctic needs fewer cronebergs, and more icebergs

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Dokapon Findom posted:

Hey, those planes are flying with or without you on them. It's actually morally good to fly on a packed plane because it's reducing the carbon footprint per person

you better believe this article was a crack ping.

https://www.wired.com/story/airplanes-empty-slots-covid/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

i am right now sitting in the bone driest lecture class on my undergrad schedule, "environmental challenges" and he's showing us a bunch of the hockey stick graphs

it's like ben stein from ferris bueler delivering sarah conners "you're all dead" monologue.