Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

celadon posted:

i honestly believe that most people assume that the exponential increases seen in consumer electronics and computing power are not a quirk of that area but sort of an innate way that technology works when we want it to

they think that when push comes to shove, we'll get doubling of every renewable energy source every year, carbon capture will become viable, cheap electric cars, etc

the idea that there are physical constraints on how any given technology area can perform is not widely held. if computers can go from being the size of a car to the size of a tic tac in my life, we'll be able to engineer our way out of any problem once things get bad

also if there isnt a solution the really bad times wont happen for fifty years anyway so nbd

People literally equate die shrinking in lithography for computer chips with the macroscale stuff that no modern tech has made orders of magnitude easier or more efficient. I hear this from my engineer dad where he'll point at my (not his, he refuses to have one) smartphone as a "see that? Don't tell me there's no way" thought terminating point to argue we can, y'know, just skirt around thermodynamics. But then he did also propose a giant straw going to space to deal with sea level rise, so...

Paradoxish posted:

Depends on the model and what's wrong with it, but I've fixed these things before so it's doable. If you were trying to get like an HVAC contractor or something to do it then yeah, they're probably going to tell you that you're SOL because most of them won't bother getting out of bed for small repairs anyway.

They're also inefficient as gently caress. I have one, but I modified it to work outside by taping the ducting tube to the cold air outlet and pushing that air in through the window while the unit is outside along with all the hot air it ejects and the heat exchanger itself. It's one of those self-evaporating units too, so unless outside is literally on fire (lol) it should be able to cool itself. The advantage is that this makes it more effective in cooling because it's pumping only cold, dry air in and so keeping my tiny house at positive pressure, as opposed to the normal route of dragging hot air in as it sucks causes a pressure imbalance. Unless you have a dual hose one, not that you have, because they seem to be like hen teeth in rarity and much more expensive.

I, uh, also bought an umbrella to tape to it should it rain because I hear water and nominally indoor electricals don't mix.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw has issued a correction as of 17:06 on Jul 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Soggy Muffin posted:

r/collapse today is full of chuds who think trans rights and wokism will lead to collapse, as well as people who call you an eco fascist for pointing out that overshoot is our main problem, and people still in the early days of collapse awareness trying to bargain their way out of it with hopeful arguments. It’s gone to poo poo as it got more popular during Covid, and it will only get worse as normal people wake up and flock to it during whatever disasters are to come

I'm really miffed chuds have gone and ruined my apocalypse posting in this way, like when normies get in on my fave indie band, thus making it automatically suck. What can I lean into after we've collapsed this biosphere? Don't say "touch grass", it's on fire currently.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Just put the wheat in a greenhouse, geez.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Stereotype posted:

i'll never get over that an economist confidently stated that the climate becoming randomized and chaotic was fine because most economic activity happened indoors. the systems that we operate under are completely unmoored from reality

Reality stopped being a thing a while back. Need to get with the programme, because nothing we do has consequences and so we are finally free.

But also maybe we can bargain with reality if it does actually exist.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Hexigrammus posted:

We don't eat white sugar ourselves but we still feed several 20 kg bags per year to bees, hummingbirds, and yeast. We might have to let the bees keep more of their honey for winter stores instead of robbing it for ourselves and feeding them sugar water to get through the cold season. It would be hilarious if sugar got so expensive it fixed the widespread problem of counterfeit honey - sugar water with a bit of real honey mixed in (or artificial colouring for the ultra-fake stuff). But I guess economics doesn't work that way and honey will skyrocket in price even worse and it will still be profitable to put fake tubs of honey-flavoured sugar syrup on the market.

There was unfavourable weather during the cherry pollination period here so cherries too are :stare:. This is a continuing problem on the coast so growers here are cutting their trees down and planting other things. I just put 4 new dwarf cherries in over the last three years. :suicide: Ah well, pretty flowers in the spring.

Blessed are old people who plant trees knowing that they their children their grandchildren no one shall ever sit in the shade of their foliage.

I hear Canadia planted a great many such trees and now most of the eastern coast of CONUS gets to enjoy their shade via voluminous toxic cloud action. It's more efficient that way and could only come from the free market.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

'Economist: That’s a striking result. Could not technology pipe or beam the heat elsewhere, rather than relying on thermal radiation?'

loving lol

My favourite part of that hypothetical exchange (although you know this was a real person's argument somewhere) is that, even without greenhouse gases, we'd cook the planet to an even boil by virtue of simple waste heat. It's actually impossible to go another few centuries with our present growth rate even if every RE tech, every carbon sequestration plan, and every reduce/reuse/recycle initiative worked 100% as advertised.

Imagining the bargaining stage, but for a whole species reliant on tech to undo previous problems. Probably has more nukes flying than I'm thinking.

EDIT: lol, I forgot, that whole thing is actually a callback to a real convo. I need to reread it all again and have a little laugh/cry.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw has issued a correction as of 03:54 on Jul 2, 2023

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Soggy Muffin posted:

I’m gonna be so ducking pissed when I’m like the last human alive and I become a ghost and there’s nothing left to haunt except stupid jelly fish just floating around in an acid ocean that hurts even my ghost body as I observe them and then I gotta spend eternity watching them not evolve at all since they already been like that for like a half a billion years which is just about the same as sharks and if your that old you don’t evolve much anymore you reached perfection so I’m just bored to tears since I can’t spook them

dun be angery

Be one with the jelly. :unsmith:

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

I changed my mind. Be angry.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

mawarannahr posted:

i thought that was just a goon. lol

My guy, have you heard the Good Book Of Solow?

Blog detailing our societal game of chicken with reality posted:

In the distant future, aliens come to Earth. They find a planet devoid of life. Looking closer, the aliens see that life on Earth was once abundant, but was wiped out by a mass extinction. Curiously, this event was driven not by geological disaster, but by one of the extinct species itself. In an orgy of consumption, an odd little animal put the planet under enough stress to drive itself —and the rest of life — extinct.

Then comes a startling discovering. Preserved in the sediment lies a document written by a member of the doomed species. What secrets does it contain? The aliens work for years to translate it, hoping that it offers a clue about what drove the species to overconsume. And indeed it does. The document heralds a remarkable delusion: “The world can, in effect, get along without natural resources.”

What a naive animal, the aliens conclude. While sucking the planet dry, the animal proclaimed its independence from natural resources. No wonder it went extinct.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if those "live on a cruise liner" ideas don't go horribly wrong in the same way the Biosphere projects have.

"Let's collect a ton of fragile upper-middle-class to genuinely *rich* people together in a microcosmic environment for a long period of time. What could go wrong?"

The first time they run out of coffee while underway, there'll be a body count.

When I initially read Aurora by Red Mars Man, I kinda disliked the idea that the generation ship would be a bad idea to try and reach an alien world and explore it because so many factors couldn't be accounted for or controlled. After thinking about it a bit more, I find it somehow more unrealistic in not having the whole thing fall apart before it even leaves Sol, let alone gets to another system.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

They all get free trips on Titan II when it's quickly cleared for tourist trips.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

One hundred million? I would buy two hundred cups of coffee.

And maybe move to either Dubai, or Australia, as two people I know have done this week. It’s like telling me you’ve opted to relocate to either Raccoon City or Silent Hill in climate terms.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol yet another "let's kill the cassandras" thread

even if you accept this poster is 100% correct about the costs and technology, there's a huge lag between our actions and the result when it comes to climate change. that's how we ended up in this situation in the first place. so yeah i think we're going to go nuts trying to fix this.... in a few decades, when it's too late. and i'm very concerned the actions we take will involve war and eco-fascism, which sucks.

my doomerism doesn't stop anyone from trying. the closest i've come to telling people to not take action is telling people not to bomb pipelines or embrace eco-fascism as it won't actually help the cause

Ecosphere collapse was always going to happen because we haven’t figured a way to stop being human.

Let me know if these guys have got a plan for the next limiting factor after CO2. Anything predicated on infinite growth will inevitably hit more and more Liebig limits until collapse.

Technically, we could have solved fossil fuels being a problem and made some kind of pseudo-steady state economy. Just nah, let’s not.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Get me the number to Fermi. I solved his paradox!

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

SKULL.GIF posted:

There's about 7 million millionaires in the USA. Let's say 1 in 40 have yachts of moderate size. That's 175,000 American yachts alone, all burning 100+ gallons/hour. Lol

That can't be true. If there are millions of millionaires, how come I don't personally know any billionaires? There must be billions of them for that logic to check out.

Everything is so wrong and dumb and bad.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Perry Mason Jar posted:

https://twitter.com/vinn_ayy/status/1675749219976777728?s=20

[Banging on table] pirate future! Pirate future! Pirate future!

That's not very George Jetson looking, though. Just like these *checks notes* trains? They're nothing near as cool as a convoy of AI driven personal automobiles with half a tonne of explosive metal charged up in them.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Stereotype posted:

maybe we should put sails on cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ASeTHdlxn4

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Microplastics posted:

another reminder for everyone who hasn't :justpost:ed in this yet

So far I've got half as many responses as last time. C'mon people the sea is on fire <:mad:>

Microplastics posted:

Good. I'm against growth

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Soggy Muffin posted:

Just watched Lex Fridman, was blown away by his charisma, intellect, and vast knowledge on this topic. He said climate change will easily be conquered with human spirit and compassion, that we will continue making the world a better place and that we shall venture out and voyage the stars and expand our civilization for millions of years. What a charming and handsome young man. You guys should watch him and learn a thing or two

You're lying because you didn't say AI even once in this. The real Lex would explain how a vague synthetic intelligence would save us all through the power of technology.

For your sins, Roko's Basilisk is coming to haunt you into being sectioned. Deus vult!

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Rectal Death Adept posted:

It's more about the subject or general consensus of the thread than anything that is actually posted in it. "Climate Change is going to be terrible and is unstoppable." This thread represents that anxiety or worry here on Something Awful.

When people don't like that truth they are going to deal with it in a variety of ways but most types of people just want to shut the topic down entirely and it doesn't matter how it's being discussed.

Cringe in the thread mission.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Unless we found a second Earth parked behind the sun that we didn’t notice before, thinking we’re going the drug addict finding a surprise bag of meth down the sofa cushions and thinking detox can wait.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

celadon posted:

finding a second earth hidden by the sun only to realize its completely used up and we were the second earth hiding behind the sun

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Samuel Glompers posted:

Indeed but I'm assuming SA is 99% first worlders and we're all by definition addicted so, let's keep the party going baby

I can quit Industrial Civilisation any time. :colbert:

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

crossposting, doomers btfo

I in like 2019 remember using "peak phosphorus" as an example of a resource beyond oil we were hosed from overusing, turns out we're fine DRILL BABY DRILL DIG BABY DIG

I see your Norwegian phosphates and raise you ALL minerals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr_JjO9YWOo

EDIT: Video is "but what if mining more to keep the party going?" and a lot of mining is talked about, along with pumped hydro and the typical discussion about not needing to replace all primary energy input (because, yes, it is important that we factor in purely electrical systems are more efficient which for things like EVs offsets their lower energy density in storage).

It's informative, just misses the lack of this happening on any scale, the rampant raping of the wilderness to enable this life to continue and a couple other things I can't be arsed to mention.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw has issued a correction as of 19:33 on Jul 4, 2023

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Samuel Glompers posted:

It is very funny how many people think this. There's still this fantasy that outside of the urban landscape there some unspoiled nature teeming with life for us to go feast on. Just pack up and live off the land!!

"Duh, if we have to go back to a simpler lifestyle because 21st century life collapses, it will be fine. My great, great grandfather managed before the Internet and electricity, so we can too."

And then I walk out the room nodding before I'm told the weather was hotter when dinosaurs roamed my home county.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

I will never not be amazed by the people that insist the best way out of a hole is to keep digging, or in this case, dig up is I guess the Green Revolution.

poo poo needs to keep on keeping on, else we may awaken to the idea that things be hosed. I hope I'm alive when economists and politicians are roundly taken to the streets and clobbered for enabling the dumbest poo poo, but then that would assume a realisation would be forthcoming. Complex adaptive systems be damned, I want my bloody denouement!

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Buddy have I got some good news for you about what happened to the house of a French mayor recently after the state's dereliction of duties to their citizenry

Par for the course for Frenchies. I want the drat Anglos to do something. Fed up of watching revolutionary action happen elsewhere.

Revolt against the system tonight? No, thank you. I'm comfy on my sofa posting, ta.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Cursed gummy.

Egg Moron posted:

it would have been cool if proto earth proto mars and proto venus all had tiny life at the same time in the distant past

And we won out of the lot of them. *holds finger to earpiece* Informed that actually we just lost last.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

You didn't watch my video. It’s fine, we got this covered. Go out and enjoy your day as normal, citizen.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Zeta Taskforce posted:

The hottest place in Canada yesterday was Kuujjuaq, in far northern Quebec. 34.1 C = 93.4 F Inuvik, North West Territory on the other side of the country was almost as hot. Not good news for anyone hoping for progress fighting fires.

https://euro.dayfr.com/local/472078.html

The world set a new record on July 4 of 17.18 (63 F) degrees. This shattered the record that was set the day before of 17.01 degrees.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/05/world/hottest-day-world-climate-el-nino-intl/index.html

Gaia kept the surprise for the best temperature until America's birthday, like a true patriot.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

stumblebum posted:

if humans and our associated organisms' biomass (livestock etc.) die in significant enough numbers over a short enough time window, do we contain enough carbon for our collective corpses to significantly contribute to atmospheric carbon levels?

The death fart of our civilisation, dooming everything that escaped our wrath until now.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Popoto posted:

[Biosphere Collapse] our data shows a big wet fart and then nothing

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Today is a good day, bdmen.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Probates for everyone with their favourite bdelloid pal. If no one talks about biosphere collapse for one day, then the world is saved and the thread can end.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

celadon posted:

you'll wanna stockpile these, their usefulness cannot be overstated

I'm not falling for that Cenobite bullshit again. No thank you.

It was 26ºC in my office today. A/C be hosed, especially since it was only 21ºC outside...

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Hubbert posted:

its gonna be REALLY cool if records management becomes fully digital and we lose the ability to transfer knowledge to future generations after a potential collapse of global industrial civilization

just getting big mad at fancy broken rock + metal mosiacs that we once shot electricity through for the wisdom they contained

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

celadon posted:

you'll wanna stockpile these, their usefulness cannot be overstated

And these things are just fossilised bronze age coronavirus. The Wuhan lab used tech bro advancements from Silicon Valley to miniaturise them and make them out of molecules and not old poo poo Romans used for dick measuring their cum socks or whatever.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

SorePotato posted:

We're nearly at the critical mass of nonviolent demonstrations before the ruling class has a big Come to Jesus moment about fossil fuels. In my expert opinion

The latest Nate Hagens podcast has a Spanish dude (with a thick accent I had to try and concentrate on at times) who was talking about the potential of flat or negative GDP numbers being a turning point globally should they come about and persist for years. I look at the Doomsday Econ thread and think about that drop in France spending money on food and consider that trend beyond a few months.

And then a guy ruins Wimbledon or The Ashes by throwing orange powder about and I think of all the people ringing into Radio 2 and LBC saying they hate them and they should be locked up and left to rot.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Hubbert posted:

finally, I can be free from the somethingawful forums ...

Ohhh no you don't, mister.

You, like your PFAS and rotifer buddies, are here poimanently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

SorePotato posted:

After 20 years of on and off famine, the US promises to cut emissions by half by the year 2150

Making great headway to getting under 1.5ºC of warming... from the other side of 6.

celadon posted:

oh sweet i did this one already

God loving dam-... have your upvote.

Wait, wrong tab.