Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
With the amount of value collectors place on Authenticity these day, eg; people going so hard on vintage console games(in spite of the number of rereleases, reproductions and ways to emulate them that exist) that they raise the price of once cheap games into the stratosphere, I think they'll be fine, if not better of depending on if being able to use proxies drives interest in owning 'the real thing'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

fadam posted:

One of these days I'm gonna correctly put the format in my posts.

Yeah, literally over the weekend there was a Pioneer Challenge that had a breakout performance of a RW Convoke deck. You play a bunch of shitters that are either artifacts or make artifacts, turn them into dudes with the new Kuldrotha Rebirth and then Convoke out Knight-Errants or Loxodons. It matches up really well against a lot of the best decks (I haven't played it or against it, but apparently it absolutely stomps MonoG), but I suspect once people start packing good sweepers in their boards it won't be a major problem.

That deck was also running Invasion of Gobakhan wasn't it? I saw that it had also taken a surprising jump in price the last few days and wasn't sure why

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
I hope they aren't actually making Anduril an actual flaming sword in the set and that piece of art is just a bad visual metaphor

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Archenteron posted:

You fool, that would release A Gun into Magic which cannot be permitted.

https://scryfall.com/card/p02/6/alaborn-zealot

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Yeah the Kits deff cost more this set, the staff at my local said that due to that, even with an increased entry fee of $60AUD per prerelease event, the prizes still had to be reduced from the norm to make the math work

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Gift Bundles usually release after everything else has been out for a few weeks, or at least that's how I've seen it done for the last few sets that have had them

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Vidmaster posted:

Lol, Amazon hosed up all the preorders of LotR commander decks and only sent one random deck to the people who ordered the bundle of 4.

They did that poo poo to me when the local 'zon they did a sale on bundle of all the New Cappena decks, I got the Maestro one in a little bag. I immediately contacted support, got a refund like 10 minutes after it was delivered and ended up getting that one deck for free

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

LifeLynx posted:

What are they calling Collector Boosters but without serialized cards?

Collector Boosters : Special Edition

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

AlternateNu posted:

Now the question is, does the singles market shoot up since less product will be opened? Does the sealed market topple without the One Ring to boost it anymore? Both?

The only thing that's certain is that the Nazgul aren't going down in price anywhere near enough anytime soon

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

kalel posted:

trying to decide whether to go to a lotr jumpstart event today. I have the urge to play magic in person but I don't have any decks in actual formats like cedh, modern or pioneer. but I also don't really give a poo poo about lotr

Maybe you're not a Limited format sort but if you're down for it and your local store does run Draft it might be worth inquiring about what set they're going to be using, even though LotR is the new thing right now not every store will be using it for their events by default. If it's a big enough store they might even be running multiple concurrent drafts with different sets for each.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Toshimo posted:

Three things should get you kicked out of a Magic event:
1. Being a cop.
2. Carrying a weapon.
3. Anime tiddie playmat.

Full stop.

You thought of Anime girl playmats before/instead of Racism?

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
They also joined the FF14 discord and challenged everyone in the gacha games subchannel to a knife fight apparently

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Khanstant posted:

I would be surprised if they did two LotR jumpstarts, my guess is the special edition collector edition boosters not released yet can feature different art than what's in the prior set?

Bruh
https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Gathering-Lord-Rings-Middle-Earth/dp/B0C5G2G1V6

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Mate, spread out over a year that's doing it almost twice a week on average, doing that in Paper at my local would cost me over 2 grand(AUD) for the year and I'd have a pile of over 4000 cards by the end of it just from doing that, that's a metric poo poo ton of drafting

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
It also prevents you from pulling off shenanigans such as piling all your creature's damage onto something like Phyrexian Vindicator and then directly at your Opponent's face though I don't think that's the actual concern being addressed

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
I fail to see how that's more elegant or clearer. In the first one it's clear you pay X, which can be 0, for -X/-X and then get a bonus effect of an extra -3/-3 for having a fairy on the 'field. In the second, if I'm interpreting it right, you declare -X/-X, which must be a minimum of -3/-3 if you have a fairy, and then get a discount on the mana required for X to cast it afterwards? That seems way less clear, if not overly more complicated. Regardless of how many it works in Arena, using the second one in Paper seems like a good way to result in a guaranteed Judge call every Friday for the life of the set

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

kalel posted:

It's aimed at pre-release events but you can refer to this guide: https://draftsim.com/mtg-prerelease/ - for practical concerns, look at the section "what do I bring?" You should download the MTG "companion" app if you don't have it. I would also recommend bringing water and a snack if you're going to be there a while. And don't forget to shower.

As for the actual drafting, there are three big differences between in person best of three and best of one on arena: 1) since you'll be pod drafting, that is, playing against the people you draft with, hate drafting is a thing. It may be worth taking a bomb so that other players don't have it to increase your chances of winning the games. 2) sideboard cards tend to go up in your pick order slightly (e.g. effects that destroy artifacts or enchantments). however, since most cards are playable in modern draft formats, in practice this means that you'll have to evaluate your last four to six picks more closely instead of just picking whatever random garbage, like you might on Arena. 3) cards have monetary value in paper, unlike on Arena. It may be worth it to you to take a useless-in-limited card like Blood Moon if it pays for your draft - it's up to you.

I would say overall that those three points have a very minor effect on your pick orders in modern draft sets. You'll likely be fine just doing what you'd normally be doing.

The physical aspect of in-person drafting is probably the point that takes the most getting used to. Keep track of each separate pile of cards: the cards you've previously picked, the cards in the pack you're currently looking at, the pack you're being passed, and the pack you've already passed. Google "zone drafting mtg" for more context and info.
To add on to this:
While it can be fun to hate pick someone else's bomb(especially if it's a nice card you may want outside of the draft), it's also important to keep in mind that not every paper draft will be matching you up with people from the same Pod you drafted with, at some stores Cross-Podding is common if not the norm, and hate picking may not help you with future opponents as much as picking a card you want would. The employee running the event should, hopefully, announce that whether that's happening before you actually start drafting though

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Postmodern Video Games posted:

It's wild they didn't even have an article alongside the B&R this time usually they will say at least something that isn't just announcing a new product.

Yeah, at least justify not doing anything with some weasel words

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Opening an envelope and a booster both depend on what's in there but the envelope/package also hinges on if you had to go to the Post Office to pick it up because the Postie left a note saying no one was home when you were there the whole time.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
I agree with the sentiment that if this focused on the Marvel material in the style of Kirby's Thor/Fantastic Four(or even Ditko's Dr Strange) then it'd be a good fun fit for a Magic set, but yeah I'm worried it's gonna be some MCU branding synergy rear end gabro with cards of dudes running at each other at an airport wearing black ops inspired gear. I don't care if MaRo is a big Marvel fanboy(matter of fact; some of the people I want to have the least to do with anything Marvel are big fanboys) that doesn't mean the Mouse is gonna let WotC do anything at all out there or go 'off message'

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Cavern will make more of a splash in decks like Azorious Soldiers than it will Domain, Domain has like all of two creature cards that it can make Uncounterable at once and actually provide Coloured Mana for. For every other spell in the deck there's several lands you want out first instead.

Anyway does it really matter if it's uncounterable if you're playing a deck that isn't Blue? It doesn't change how you have to answer it at all if you're playing something Gruul or mono-White. If Atraxa/Domain is so ruinous that the only thing holding it back from total domination is counterspells then there's already bigger problems with the deck than what re-adding Caverns to Standard will introduce

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
If you are using the app for the first time at an event please be prepared to log back in after being being logged out for no obvious reason, or for it to ask you to enter your first and last names multiple times a night

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Kids and Guns posted:

For anyone who plays paper drafts, how much does your FLGS charge for it? The store I've been going to charges 20$ a person for 3 rounds of Swiss, with a pack or 4$ sc per win. I'd like to support them but man, it feels like I should just be buying a draft box myself at that rate.

$22AUD(33AUD for LotR), 3 rounds of swiss, 1 pack per player added to the prize pool, distribution fluctuates based on turn out

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
5 of them? How many booster boxes did that take?

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

HootTheOwl posted:

Is there no commander set for this or did they just hold back spoilers?
And an Unmask reprint is guaranteed in the commander set right?

There's 4 decks, they showed off the boxes with the rest of the cards they showed

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Elblanco posted:

I checked the two stores I usually play at and one is charging $40 and the other is still at $30. Weird.

I assume you checked their sites, do they mention what the prizing, if any, would be like? One might be offering much less than the other to make it work

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Huh, Vampires has always been a pretty good deck for me. There's the 3/2 RB guy, the lord has convoke, there's the other pumper at 2. Cheap enough to muscle through an early barrage of removal, and can get enough damage in to race all the cheat-combo decks out there. The backup one that can fling itself or other creatures tends to be the extra push that finishes games too.

Not as good as RDW variants, granted, but is pretty solid.

Yeah, you've also got Epicure for a one drop creature/etb damage/blood token maker, Dominating Vamp which can either steal a creature for a turn on etb or give itself haste, and of course all the great new LCI Vamps like Preacher of the Schism, Sanguine Evangelist, Bloodletter and of course El Barto himself. There's a whole host of great Vamp cards atm.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

why red? just to push her out of the 99 into the commander slot?

No Red mana symbol, she's still fine in a GW deck, it doesn't matter if the tokens are off-colour

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Silhouette posted:

Kaervek is fuckin siiiiiiiick

Edit: goddamn I'm glad this is the rotation set because he'd make mono black the best deck by far just by existing alongside graveyard trespasser

It's not the rotation set, it's the last set before rotation. Get ready for a wild Summer of Standard

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Justin_Brett posted:

You can already get a turn two or three kill if you get a good hand with the Proliferate goblin, can't you? Slickshot will definitely be annoying, and you'll probably see him a lot in Izzet Phoenix, but I don't think he's bannable.

Cacophony Scamp can do a T3 kill, assuming correct hand draw and your Op doing Nothing. It can still hit for half it's potential damage for the turn if it gets killed before attacking with it's death trigger too, unlike Slickshot which just dies. So yeah, just Interact

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Why would they? That's not really a demographic that's currently really into Miku, they wouldn't really like the art used anyway if they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

ilmucche posted:

Most sure, but I'm thinking along the lines of that one dude who married an avatar.

And the weird dude with the questionable playmats at my lgs

I'm not sure the two of those are similar beyond 'likes fictional female' and they aren't even the same kind of 'like'