Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

FMguru posted:

Hits every note, including the person advocating for an opening finding a partner immediately getting with someone (i.e. the person they were planning to cheat on anyway).

I've seen something similar to that situation in RL work out really well for the other partner. Out of the blue Wife tells Husband they're either moving to an open poly relationship or divorce, Husband goes along with the open thing. Wife has a guy in mind so starts quickly, that lasts a few months and ends dramatically. Husband meanwhile tries this whole 'dating other people' thing and has a great time as he slowly figures out how it works, and discovers that 'in-shape musician who's a stoner but also responsible' is very attractive to women. Wife has a couple more relationships that follow the 'big exciting start, big dramatic end' pattern and decides to ultimatum closing the relationship, Husband says 'nah, I'm done with this' and they divorce. He chills for a year or two, then finds a near perfect match and has been 'happily ever after' for years. I didn't stay in touch with Wife, but last I saw she was continuing the pattern of short dramatic flings.

'Relationship broken, add more people to fix' is a really popular idea but doesn't actually work. Like my fellow Pope-theme-named poster I've seen a lot of open and poly relationships work, but never starting from 'I demand we open up now'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

quantumwell posted:

You can't "analyze" poop from a picture other than a black stool being an indicator of internal bleeding or eating too many blueberries. The poop needs to be sent to a lab. Someone should tell him to send a few loads over to her to test my theory she has a scat fetish.

Don't Germans build a poop shelf in their toilets so they can examine them before flushing? It might be a fetish, but I think it's more likely that it's one of those really weird health obsessions.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Shanghaied posted:

How big is an American pizza anyway? I feel that this is important information.

There is no standard American pizza, I've seen everything from 6" to 18" as regular sizes at different places - 12/14/16 is typical for medium/large/x-large 6-10" are usually a personal size. There are some really gigantic pizzas, but they're more of a novelty than a regular menu item. Most of the "New York Style" places that sell by the slice sell slices of a 16" pizza cut into 8. Two slices of a 16" pizza is around the size of 4 slices of a 12" pizza, and I think the people saying they could only eat two slices are thinking of a 16" pizza rather than a 12".

Pantaloon Pontiff fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 9, 2024

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

the holy poopacy posted:

The wisdom of the elders is at risk of being lost, today's youth never saw the yellow streaks on gram-gram's walls or the slightly tacky feeling all the wood furniture had so they are blivious to just how gross smoking inside actually gets.

I had a friend who moved into an old (originally built in the 1820s) farm house.The previous residents had put in drop ceilings to cut down heating bills and also smoked inside. When my friend moved in he took out the ceilings because office-type ceilings in an old-style house really don't look right. Until he was able to repaint, the walls were a dusky yellow up to 8 feet or so, then a fresh white because of the stains from smoking, it was a really stark contrast.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Propaniac posted:

I'm just posting this because I'm curious whether other people find it as weird as I do.

I 34/F doubt my husband M/33. If you were in my shoes, what would you think about this?

In the first part. it sounds like the two of them have mismatch on how they treat OTC medicine which is pretty ordinary. Husband doesn't care much about best-by dates and probably just thinks of cold medicine as 'cold medicine'. Wife thinks best-by dates are strict expiration dates and is very particular about which medicine you use to treat which type of 'cold', also has a specific and different definition of 'common cold' than most people do (what people usually refer to as a 'common cold' is caused by a virus of some sort, but there's usually not a test for which specific one). Medicine best-by dates for OTC meds don't really mean much - they don't test 'when does this medicine stop being effective' but 'is the medicine still good after this amount of time?' for the amount of time they want to be able to put on the label. Some specialized medicines actually do go bad fairly quickly or need special handling, most just get somewhat weaker but don't stop working or become dangerous. She's got the narrow preferences on medicine, so should occasionally purge the medicine cabinet and should be specific if she's asking for medicine, since other people aren't going to make whatever distinction she is about what OTC medicines treat, this is a pretty normal relationship thing and no big deal.

In the second part, it turns super weird, where it goes from 'husband offered to give me cold meds, wasn't as specific as I expected' to a big argument that somehow leads to 'I used to be a nice girl and now don't feel like I can accept human kindness anymore'. It's a ride from a sensible and probably common /r/relationships question to a really deep and unusual psychologcial issue.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

CommissarMega posted:

Odds are it's not real, but holy poo poo do I want to believe :syoon:

It rings true to me because it's just so many dumb things instead of being over-the-top funny, and it doesn't do the 'keep raising the stakes' bit stories tend to. I can definitely believe a couple wants to do a cuck/exhibitionist kind of thing and lets their argumentative side out mid-act, and the guy turns off-puttingly controlling later on in spite of being 'the submissive cuck' in the story.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i 33m am building a garderobe out the bedroom window of my 4th floor walkup apartment so i can just poo poo out the window onto the sidewalk below. now my neighbor is mad because my morning BM coincides with his daily coffee run so i have done gone shitted on him a few times MAYBE. aita??

I think this could be solved if you hire a German to add a poop shelf to the arrangement.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

For the D&D game, I think the OP has a thing for the roommate and this reaction is really jealousy of her wanting to spend time with her new boyfriend instead of just hanging out with the D&D crew indefinitely. Skipping out on the end of the campaign would be a dick move since the big final fight wouldn't work right with her missing, but she didn't do that. She came in for the part of the game that needed her so the campaign she had been running with friends could come to an end, then went ahead and left after the campaign was ended. Nothing she did stopped the DM from giving an epilogue to the campaign or the other people from talking about what happened, they just chose not to keep having fun. Calling her packing 'disruptive' is absurd since it's established she was trying to leave in less than ten minutes - even if it was in the way, we're talking 'wait five minutes to give the epilogue talk, someone probably has to hit the bathroom anyway' and not 'we spent the next hour listening to comically loud packing noises while trying to resolve things'. And since she was on the train within 10 minutes, she couldn't get in the way of people talking about the session because she wasn't even in the area. (I do doubt that it really disrupted most of the group from anything - I suspect it's really only OP that was affected much)

If OP doesn't come to her senses and does confront her, she'll probably be looking for a new roommate really soon. I can't see her wanting to keep living with someone so overtly controlling and possessive of her. And if this group is really this disrupted by someone finishing the session and taking a train at a certain time, they need to learn to deal with life as adults, because people with jobs, multiple friend groups, multiple interests, kids, partners, and the like will sometimes end up leaving a session kind of early and that should not be a big deal. [edit: corrected pronouns]

Pantaloon Pontiff fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 13, 2024

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

the holy poopacy posted:

OP is another woman. She might still have a thing for her friend regardless, but platonic jealousy is very much a thing too. Some people can't cope with their buddies spending time with a new SO instead of them, especially when they have an established routine.

I get the impression OP might just honestly care about the game more than she cares about her friend, who probably was never as into the game in the first place. OP thinks of this as the culmination of the 4 year campaign and the entire reason they've spent all this time on it; her friend (and probably most of the rest of the group) just thought of the D&D game as a fun way to pass the time with friends and enjoyed it for that sake, so skipping out on the epilogue doesn't impact her enjoyment of the hundreds of hours she'd spent playing with them before.

I got the pronouns wrong in the second part since I went away and came back partway through writing this, but I was thinking of her as a she. That reads a lot more as "I have a crush" than "I have friend jealousy", but it might be my friend groups - I know way more women who are interested in women than who have extremely strong and controlling friend jealousy issues. In either case, it's still the kind of behavior that is likely to drive 'roommate' to move in with someone who isn't interested in controlling her, whether it's based on friendship, sex, or romance.

I agree with your read on how Roomate views the game and skipping out on the epilogue, but the OP's response doesn't read to me as just 'more into the game'.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Angry Smash Brothers Guy is going to get the cops called on him for trespassing, and from his own posts trying to cast himself in a good light I'd preemptively ban him from any kind of gaming event that I run. The guy running the event already has written documentation that he banned ASBG in the form of an email, and ASBG responded to it proving that he read it, so in a lot of places that's enough to actually press trespassing charges if he shows up (rather than have the police tell him to leave and that he'll be charged next time). And while there are plenty of difficulties with getting cops to enforce more complicated law, in my experience trespassing is one of the things they generally show up for and handle competently.

I'm guessing ASBG is not the type get out to bars and clubs a lot, if you spend some weekend nights going out you'll see firsthand how much discretion the people who events open to the public on private property actually have to eject people they don't want there. Seeing a few obnoxious drunks get bounced, often in a rather physical manner, could be very eye-opening to this guy.

Pantaloon Pontiff fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 13, 2024

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

The_Franz posted:

Op and her friend are clearly both nuts and this guy needs to get out now.

I'll go a little farther than that - 'both nuts' usually just means 'these people are acting weird', but the way the woman talks about the situation sounds like there may be significant mental illness involved. I had someone close to me who suffered through severe delusions and later hallucinations that involved multiple hospital stays (she's on meds now but generally fine), and the phrasing she uses just reminds me of talking to my friend and trying to convince her to seek help. I think this is a pretty risky situation for the husband, and I hope he's able to either get out or get her to get help. The friend sounds more like someone who just likes drama and manipulating OP.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Shanghaied posted:

Okay there's no way that this is real. No way someone would masturbate in someone else's living room thinking "yes, he'll sure to want me now!" as opposed to "wtf, she's an insane pervert."

I'm not sure why you're doubting the reality of it, masturbating in front of a target is something sexual harassers do. Publicized cases are usually men, but that certainly doesn't mean women don't do it. That was one of the things Louis C. K. did that got him "canceled", and it's well documented that it happened and he confessed to it.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

FMguru posted:

None of his friends knows where he is or they do and is not telling me. I called his brother and he laughed at me over the phone and hung up.

From r/AmITheEx, natch.

I think this brother has the best response to these 'I tried to get in touch with the person who's obviously leaving my life' situations that I've seen. Don't try to argue or explain, just laugh at the absurdity and end the call.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeah whenever someone is like 'eh I woulda sucked it up to get the money from my rich parent', I'm like lol you really don't understand how much of your life you have to perform to get that poo poo. It's a loving devil's bargain and you're selling a chunk of yourself for it, just a whole -rear end piece of flesh from your midsection minimum, to keep your parents happy. How much of yourself can you parcel off and sell for the inheritance before there's none left? Before you've hacked away so much, you've been shaped into something unrecognizable, even to yourself? Will the money even be worth it when what comes out the other side isn't left with enough of themselves to feel human anymore?

I could see sucking it up and groveling to the rich parents if you were poor right or had led a life so dependent on them that you weren't sure about you could have a decent life on your own. But for someone like the OP with a decent job and reasonably comfortable lifestyle, I'd definitely be with you in 'gently caress 'em, I'll just plan on no inheritance like most people do'. Being able to retire on the spot is a nice dream, but if you have to give up major things that you enjoy in your life right now to possibly be able to retire on the spot one day doesn't seem like a good trade to me. Especially since the parents could decide you didn't do enough or did something else wrong (like dating someone too dark-skinned) and still write you out, or could end up losing their money and leaving with an estate that's nothing but a headache.

Mordiceius posted:

tbh - this feels like a failure of the raffle organizers. Most raffles will only allow people to win a single prize. But even if they did that, there was no guarantee that this other brat would have won.

Not my experience at all. I've certainly seen the raffles where there are a few big prizes and someone who's one 1st place can't win any others, but I've never seen a raffle where there are multiple prizes, you buy tickets and put multiple tickets on whatever items you're interested in, and you're limited to winning just one prize. I have no idea why that would be a failure of the raffle organizers, being able to win encourages people to buy more tickets so the raffle raises more money.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

bobjr posted:

I’ve definitely met some older people who refuse to leave their small town because anything bigger will be full of gangs ready to rob them the second they get out of their car.

The scary part is some of these people are armed with a gun.

It's projection - stepping into an unknown small town is actually pretty dangerous for anyone who doesn't pass as a straight white guy, so they assume stepping into a librul stronghold will be just as dangerous.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Somewhat different varieties of the same underlying brain worms.

Actually curious now, do eastern orthodox and protestant branches of christianity have a problem with each other or is there not enough shared history? I'm not aware of any directly violent background like catholics/protestants and catholics/eastern orthodox.

The Eastern Orthodox and Catholic churches both consider themselves the proper successor of the original Roman Church (which can be called Catholic or Orthodox depending on how you want to translate it), their main schism was over whether the Pope in Rome should be head of the church or there should be multiple Patriarchs in charge. The churches split, and later the Russian branch of the church declared a new Patriarch, but while there was some significant disagreement, they didn't have the kind of direct conflict Protestants and Catholics did and didn't generally have countries switching which they followed.

In the modern US, the Orthodox church is generally considered a bit unusual, but not out there or not-really-Christian like Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses. The Orthodox presence in the US is small enough that they never got tied in to the anti-Catholic conspiracy theories or the extreme evangelical 'Catholics are in league with the Devil' stuff. It probably helps that while 'Orthodox Church' is mostly associated with Russia in people's minds, in the 20th century they were oppressed by the USSR so even during the height of the red scare weren't associated with being part of the other side of the cold war.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

rotinaj posted:

It takes a village to raise a child :angel:

You left out 'idiot' after village.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

For the chicken nugget minis, I decided to do the math because it amuses me. There are 40 Chicken minis and the OP, 3 siblings, and 2parents make 6 people. So each person should get 6-7 minis in an equal split.Everyone had 2-3 to start, so we'll assume the OP had 3, 3 others had 3, and 2 others had 2. That uses up 16 to start, leaving 24. At this point, equal division would leave 4 more for each person. But OP ate 18 more of them at this point, leaving 6 for everyone else.

So in the end he ate 21, which is over half of the food intended to split between 6 people (and he was mad that he didn't get a 22nd one). That's really egregious, and while he acts surprised that people expected to split it roughly evenly, he also says that this is a tradition on trips - so he's seen the family eat the 40-nugget-biscuits over time before during a trip, it's not like this was the first time he's encountered it. It's what makes this into an 'everyone is pissed off' situation instead of just a minor mistake - if he accidentally ate too many and then said 'guys I'm sorry, I was watching a movie and they're just SO GOOD' (maybe with a 'let's stop and I'll pick something up to make up for it') the family could probably laugh it off or jokingly give him a hard time, but the fact that he's trying to say it was fine for him to eat over half the tray when he knows other people were planning to eat it is not going to go over well.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That said, exactly how long is a room-temp (at minimum) tray of chicken food safe?

That freshly thoroughly cooked, very salty chicken is going to be fine for half a day like they're planning. A restaurant can't leave it out that long (I think the limit is around 2 hours), but restaurant safety standards are significantly more stringent than what is likely to get a person sick.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

What a terrible fate, being the only sandwich shop open when downtown is shutdown for events and lots of hungry people are wandering around not wanting to drive away to get their food. Truly an unenviable position to have a captive audience for whom your product would be a godsend.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

AKA Pseudonym posted:

AITA for getting mad at people for not wanting to take trips with me or drive me to places ??

From trying to find more of this story, it looks like this guy has been regularly spotted in the amithedevil reddit on his multiple accounts. There may be some clues about why the friend, who incidentally only got married last weekend, may be more interested in getting his wife pregnant than flying down to take a road trip with him in one of the previous posts:

quote:

Paragraph friendly version (to the best of my abilities because this is a rambling mess):

My bestfriend is getting married soon and I'm extremely upset at him over some comments he made today. He promised me about 5 to 7 years ago that one day in the future he would take me to go to miami for a trip. He knows that I love doing scuba diving and snorkeling and he told me that he wanted to give me a chance to do that in the ocean.

I spoke to him recently and he told me that he had to throw out our florida plans cause his stupid fiancee wants to have kids asap soon after they get married. I am furiously mad because he is going back against on his promises that he made for me. He then told me that I probably need to get myself a job so that I can work if I ever have hopes of finding a wife in the future. He said you should start working instead of just sitting at home trying to pursue a career in making youtube content as it is not an stable income. He claims that going into the film arts or film making industry is not an steady career path.

I'm just so extremely mad cause of all of these comments that he is making. I tried talking to my other friends about it and how mad I am at him for canceling plans with me and everyone else is calling me an rear end in a top hat for that. My other friends are saying to me "Your Bestfriend is not obligated to take you anymore and your an rear end in a top hat for giving him a hard time.". I'm just so angry and I'm about to explode. I'm supposed to be the bestman and I don't even know if I can even do it anymore cause I'm just so mad at him.

I've just started talking trash about him ever since he got me upset. I refer to his fiancee as the "Bitch" when talking to my other friends. Am I really an rear end in a top hat when he is going back against all of his promises ?? I'm just really upset and I feel like my feelings are being ignored.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

quote:

I've never told her how I spent that summer before this. The thing that she focused on was that back when I was pretending that Sam's bf was my bf. He was 19 and I was 15.

My mom lost it when she found out that my aunt was actually okay with me dating someone that was way older than me when I was 15. And my aunt didn't even bother to call and tell her that.

I like Mom here. She doesn't care that daughter is gay, or was scamming relatives to sleep with her GF, she just cares that the cover story had an age issue and Aunt kept it a secret from Mom.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

The_Franz posted:

lol he was re-arrested thanks to another idiot streamer leaking his plants to leave Romania, so he's not giving advice or going anywhere for a while.

I know that's a typo, but I like the idea that an idiot streamer somehow let Tate's plants escape from Romania, which led to Tate getting rearrested.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

StrangersInTheNight posted:

there are so many reasons a felt life-sized doppleganger created for a one-off joke to interrupt sex could be upsetting, I hope we can an update so we can learn what it was that got him. did she portray him in a way which upset him? was it the interrupting their sex twice - once cackling like a maniac and the second to do this? Was it the fact that she clearly put time and effort into what would be, to most people, a fleeting goofy thought?

Pretty sure the height was significant, she made it half a foot taller than him and just over the magic 'six feet tall' that shorter guys obsess over online, said to call it "big john" and he seems insecure about his height. It's also just off-putting - if she made a hand puppet of him I think it would be cute, but a six foot muppet-like thing seems like a lot of work and takes up a lot of space in the room. And it doesn't seem like a good glasses-holder since I imagine it would keep falling over, which would fling the glasses to the floor.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Kurieg posted:

AITA for proving to my boyfriend the “nerds” never cared about the “popular” kids in high school?

I've seen a lot of people who thought that something huge for them was huge for everyone. On the nerd side, I've run into people who were heavy into raiding in old WOW and talked about how the whole server was looking up to them because they were so elite. When I mentioned that the people I played with didn't put a whole lot of attention to raid guilds and mostly remembered to 'which guild always bails on dungeon runs after the boss they want' to avoid them in PUGs and definitely didn't even know the names of individuals, they reacted similarly to Mr. Football here.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

At least he's only twenty-four and learning that nobody gives a poo poo about high school. Some guys carry that around with them well into their forties.

We all remember in 1966 when Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, Bubba "Spare Tire" Dixon.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Shanghaied posted:

Holy poo poo, that was her??!

Yeah no, all radio hosts who do prank calls deserve to be shot. Boring motherfuckers griefing working people who make a fraction of what they do.

IMO, the litmus test for whether something is a prank or just a dude being a dick is whether the person being pranked laughs at it afterwards. Clearly if someone dies or commits suicide that's deep in 'griefing' territory, but it doesn't need to be anywhere near that severe to not be an actual valid prank.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

ApplesandOranges posted:

I want to know more about this ex and why he only stole 42 out of 50 silver coins.

My guess is either he grabbed whatever was out in the open quickly and missed some (maybe because OP came back to the room) or he stole 1-2 at a time and got away with 42 before the OP figured out what was going on.

rotinaj posted:

Not because of not spending 30 or whatever, not because of comparison shopping, but when buying someone a gift, if you brag about how much money you saved on it, they will feel bad

I've had partners and friends who feel better about a gift if it cost less or you got it semi-free (like with credit card reward points), generally they've had bad experiences with someone holding an expensive gift over their head in some way and knowing 'nah, these points are going to expire anyway' helps them not worry about that. But I think even those people wouldn't appreciate 'I picked the cheaper place because the more expensive one was too much to spend on your special dinner', that just gives an 'I don't care' vibe.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Shanghaied posted:

AITA for sleeping in on my GFs birthday?

I thought this was going to be one of those stories where dude decided to stay out all night the night before and blew off something that was important to her. "I was tired from crazy amounts of work, so I slept for a few extra hours, then went to do cool stuff with you, also we didn't have any specific timeline planned" is very much not a case of an uncaring boyfriend. I think she's some combination of immature and self-centered and dude should have a Serious Talk about this soon.

EDIT: I didn't catch "She even told me later that negative reinforcement works better." on my first read, that makes it much worse since it pushes the line way more to 'self centered' than 'just immature'.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

High Grandpa is great, "look you're a little poo poo for leaving pot brownies out, but also lol at the idea this is my first time getting high".

Cerekk posted:

I had to piss really bad at the end of Return of the King in the theater while it was doing a bunch of fakeout endings in a row. I just kept getting madder every time it faded to black and then faded back in somewhere else to tack on a wrapup of some other D plot that I didn't give a poo poo about. Anyway this woman's four word review is pretty hard to improve upon in both accuracy and conciseness imo.

I feel your pain. I watched LOTR in the theater and had popcorn and a drink, and had to pee BAD by the end. But it was so close to the end of the movie and I didn't want to miss anything, and managed to discover a fun fact. Did you know that there is running water in the background, and therefore running water sounds, for pretty much the entire last 20 minutes of the movie? I remember that very well.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Thank you. I liked the LOTR movies a lot when they came out, but somehow they managed to take a light, peppy kids' book and drag it out into the most pointlessly sloggy trilogy, it even made me care about the LOTR movies less retroactively.

I think you're getting The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings mixed up - The Hobbit is a light, peppy kid's book, but LOTR is a single giant novel split into a trilogy for publication and is significantly more sloggy than the movies. The Hobbit movies did take the kids book and turn it into a sloggy trilogy.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

wheatpuppy posted:

That is literally what he said? And that the Hobbit movies were so bad, it *also* ruined his enjoyment of LoTR.

I read the 'they' as referring to the LOTR movies, not the creators of the movies. It makes much more sense to use they as meaning 'the movie makers' there so I think I just misinterpreted it.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Elfface posted:

I don't understand how 'I won't sign the papers' etc. is a thing, other than 'women are property and not allowed to run away' holdovers. If someone wants a divorce, division of assets etc. might take time and need a lawyer, but the process of 'ok you aren't married any more' seems like it should take five minutes.

"I don't want to be married to this person any more."
"Well I DO want them to still be married to me!"
Best get a judge, no way to easily pick what's ethical here!

The division of joint assets, decisions on child custody, sorting out major changes in legal status, and the like all take time, and ethically the marriage shouldn't end until that's sorted out because 'not being married' has significant effects. For example, being 'no longer married' means you're no longer a spouse for insurance coverage, do you really think one partner in the marriage should be able to just cut the other completely out of health, life, and car insurance in five minutes with a simple statement to a judge? Do you think that someone should be able to file paperwork that says 'Joe wants to divorce Jim' and have Jim's access to Joe in the hospital immediately cut off? On the flip side of 'women are property and not allowed to run away', what about 'Jim divorces Jane, Jim takes Jane's name off of any joint accounts since she's not a spouse and thus not entitled to be there, Jane now has no money for rent or food and no income since she was a SAHM' or 'GI Joe divorces Jane, Jane now immediately is no longer eligible to stay in her house on the military base since she is not the spouse of someone in the Army'.

I mean, if there's no joint assets, no children, and no complicated legal entanglement to be sorted out in a potential divorce and you want to be able to get divorced in five minutes, why get a state marriage in the first place? You can call someone your husband, wife, or spouse without a legal marriage, and then you can stop calling them that without even a five minute delay at any time you want. I'd love to see a bunch of the laws around marriage overhauled, but I don't think 'five minute one-party divorce' should be a thing - if there are no issues to sort out in the divorce, then the marriage was probably not needed in the first place.

Plus expecting a court to do anything in 'five minutes' is just wildly unrealistic even when they're not overloaded, like pretty much all US courts are.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Cloacamazing! posted:

All of that stuff is fair, but my country at least requires people to be separated and do counseling for an entire year before they're allowed to start the divorce proceedings, which seems overkill. Presumably at the point where you decide you want a divorce, you have already tried other things and thought this through, so forcibly adding an entire year at least to this process seems like it's meant to make people decide that this is too much effort. Keep in mind the separation requires you to live separately, so that's even more time spent in a marriage at least one person doesn't want to be in any more.

Yes, my state generally requires a one-year seperation before you can get a no-fault divorce and I don't think it should. But that doesn't mean that a divorce should be a five-minute procedure as easy as deciding 'we're not going steady anymore', especially when only one party has agreed to the terms of the divorce, there are joint assets, children, and legal statuses involved. And like I said before if there aren't joint assets, kids, or any legal statuses to worry about, why bother getting the state involved with the marriage at all? Just call yourselves married under whatever religion or tradition or fiction you like, and don't get the courts involved to begin with.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

quote:

AITAH, For immediately dumping my gf because she lied

Dude made the right call, if someone is arguing 'you don't know if anything ACTUALLY' happened you should just treat it as the thing actually happened. The lying and misdirection is a problem, and indicates that she was planning to do something, even if she didn't follow through with it. Also anytime mutual friends are pressuring one person to give the other one 'a chance' like this, I'm pretty sure that the one who needs a chance has been spreading a really biased version of events.

MagusofStars posted:

I love the pettiness of hundreds of dollars on legal fees just prove "I am right and want to make you deal with it, you rear end in a top hat" rather than spending like an hour tossing poo poo into trash bags.

LOL if you're limiting it to 'hundreds', that's the bare minimum for getting a lawyer involved or filing much paperwork. Relatively ordinary (that is, not super-rich) people spend tens of thousands of dollars on this kind of thing.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

AKA Pseudonym posted:

AITA for yelling at my son for "not trusting us"
He siad yeah, but if your mad at me or something you can just take the car away. I said why would we do that.

He said well yeah I don't trust anyone, I just want it to be my car, no one else involved, no risks involved. I said I can't believe you would think that of us, go to your room. He went up extremely annoyed and hasn't spoken to me since. I now think I over-exaggerated

Yeah, no idea why this son wouldn't trust the mom not to take the car away, sounds like there's something terribly wrong with the kid and the mother is being completely reasonable!

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Yeah dude is lucky he was right because it could’ve just as easily been her posting “I stayed home to take care of my mom and my crazy now-ex drove all over town looking for me.”

What would be her motivation to lie if she stayed home to take care of her mom? That is, if she was just taking care of her mom and happened to decide to turn off location tracking that day, why wouldn't she just say at some point that she's taking care of her mom when he asked, even if she didn't think to start the day by texting 'going to take care of mom, won't be on phone'? It doesn't make sense for her to cover up taking care of her mom, unless there's huge problems in the relationship that he doesn't see - but in that case, she should be glad he's cleanly breaking up with her instead of being crazy stalker ex- and should just take the win instead of trying to get him back.

Spaced God posted:

I mean communicating boundaries are v important bc cheating has different definitions to people so defining what you consider cheating (lying, misleading) and comparing to what your partner considered cheating (actively being caught loving her friend) is definitely a good idea

For a healthy relationship with people who aren't assholes ofc

If your partner is going to significantly lie to you unless you specifically say that lying to you counts as cheating, I don't think you have a healthy relationship in the first place. "Relationship court" might only allow things you've said count as cheating to be a reason for a breakup, but that doesn't mean you actually have to stay in a relationship with someone who lies to you.

Pantaloon Pontiff fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 25, 2024

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I mean if he’d gone and done his searching and then she finally sees her phone or whatever and decides to answer back, before she actually lied. It’s a bad look if you’re going straight to detective mode.

She lied twice before she even left the house, first with "K told me she had to work this day so I was tasked with all the planning," which is blatantly not the case even in your scenario. The second lie "I asked her whats the deal and she says she turned it off for safety concerns since she didnt want everyone seeing it all the time anymore," was slightly fuzzier, but it's obvious that she was lying and the real reason was that she was doing something she wanted to hide from him. When someone is telling you multiple lies and changes something that would give away the lie and tries to downplay it, there's a pretty good reason to be suspicious.

It's a bad look to be lying to and cheating on your partner, not being the person who realized something was off and spotted the bad look. I can't see how someone other than a person into that kind of deception themselves (and thus doesn't like the idea of getting caught) or a doormat (so thinks confronting a partner is bad, even if you're right) would think what that guy did gives a 'bad look', Columbo clearly had a lot of clues.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

wizardofloneliness posted:

"We are in the same building, but he has a window and his car does not have rust."
What the gently caress does this mean?! I’m still thinking about this pages later. Is this some kind of code to activate a sleeper agent or something?

I interpreted that to mean "We work in the same building, but he (or his department) is important enough to have a window in his office while I don't, and he drives much nicer car than me". It's irrelevant to the story, but I think she's just saying he's higher ranked and paid than her even though he's younger, just in a weird way.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

quote:

There were no inspections done on this food; before, during and after it was was grown. There was no FDA to check out she cooled and it picked it. I flat out told her that I was not going to eat it.

The perfect revenge would be to educate this guy about how little the FDA actually does - they just do occasional random inspections, it's not like they check every single tomato you find at a store. And I'm not even sure what vegetables he's expecting to be cooled, most vegetables last longer in the fridge but don't need to be refrigerated, especially if you're going to pick them and eat them the same day.

Guy would probably not be able to eat anything anywhere after that.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

The 'no garden' guy reminded me of an anecdote from an Isaac Asimov book. He grew up in NYC and pretty much always lived in a big city. Once some friends invited him to their house, and offered to make dinner with veggies they had grown themselves. Without thinking he responded "Eat something from the DIRT?" and they laughed and assumed he was making a joke - but he actually had to make himself calm down and accept that yes, vegetables come out of the dirt.

mystes posted:

I don't think the FDA inspects chicken at all actually

It looks like they do on their website: https://www.fda.gov/food/meat-guidance-documents-regulatory-information/fda-regulated-meats-and-meat-products-human-consumption

EDIT: Oh, you're separating USDA and FDA, I figured the guy was just using FDA as shorthand for 'federal inspector'.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Not really. If you break up with someone you don't get to dictate how they respond to it. The seeming desperate backpedaling does make it look like a relationship test backfire, though, I'm inclined to agree.

Could be a relationship test, but it doesn't have to be. Some people do go in for high drama breakup-makeup cycles and are completely dumbfounded if their partner doesn't play along or stops playing along. I had one of those relationships at one point, and when I finally grew a spine and didn't do the 'make up' phase it took her over a month to accept that things really were over. Also even though she was the one who broke up with me, she told people that I broke up with her, I think because the breakup-makeup pattern was so ingrained for her that she didn't think it counted.

haveblue posted:

We had to do the “car seat test”, which is strapping the baby into the car seat while the monitors were still attached to make sure she would be OK

She actually failed once and had to do it again

I'm old enough that when I was born they had to do the "car seat test", which was ensuring that there was a seat in the vehicle being driven home. In our case, it was an old love seat in the back of a van that was not actually attached to the van in any way, but you could sit on it with a baby so it counted.

(disclaimer: I think it's good that we actually do better at avoid injuring and killing babies in car accidents, I just think it's funny that it was considered no big deal at the time. Also the 'seat in a van' is actually from memories as a kid, they may have had an actual car seat for us as infants.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Nebrilos posted:

How the hell did this idiot become a manager?

I'd guess he worked there for a while and got promoted. "Manager" isn't generally something that requires a special license or certification, so it's not uncommon for someone to get there without much in the way of qualifications or training at being a manager. And of course there's also nepotism and favoritism helping someone get a boost, but they're not necessary.